2015 Nuci's/Homecoming Fundraiser and DVD offer

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

2015 Nuci's/Homecoming Fundraiser and DVD offer

Post by Jonicont »

Friends,

We've come together as a community for the past three years to support a cause that means the world to many of us here at 3DD--one the Truckers have adopted as their own: Nuci's Space.

For anybody who doesn't already know, this is a unique center for musicians in Athens, GA. Nuci's exists to prevent suicide by providing obstacle-free treatment for musicians suffering from depression and other disorders, as well as to assist in musicians' emotional, physical, and professional well-being. They subsidize musicians' mental health care costs, provide doctor's appointments to those without insurance, provide bands with practice space and equipment, and encourage young musicians through their Camp Amped program. In short, Nuci's Space nurtures the music community in Athens.

With Homecoming weekend approaching, we hope you'll join us in amping up our annual 3DD fundraiser for Nuci's.

Last year we raised $5,080; that's something we can all be proud of. Meanwhile, alongside their many activities, Nuci's Space made more than 2,040 mental health appointments happen for musicians who needed care; that's lifesaving, something we're grateful for.

Let's beat last year's total together. Donations can be made via PayPal, credit card or check.

Nuci's has set up a Donation page just for us which can be accessed here:
https://nuci.wufoo.com/forms/wdrtqdu0cxc7pq/

Checks-Mail to Nuci's
Nuçi’s Space / 396 Oconee Street / Athens, GA / 30601
Please indicate 3DD and your screen name in the memo section

For a donation of $20 or more plus $5.00 S&H, you'll receive the 3DD-produced DVD of Patterson's 50th Birthday show at the 9:30 Club from March 24th of this year. It's 2 hours and 45 minutes of ROCK on 3 discs

Filmed by Jonicont, CooleyGirl, Bill in CT, and allisonsdc, with audio by Big Tom and Lynzzz, this show was a barn-burner from the start.

If you would like the 3 discs, in a box, with a cover, delivered to your door, you need to

1. Make a donation to Nuci's

2. S&H is paid to me so send me your name, screen name, and address. (Jonicont@threedimesdown.com) Indicate if you want to pay S&H ($5.00) by check or Paypal

3. I'll send you my address or Paypal info

4. Make your payment

5. I'll mail it out

With thanks,
Threedimesdown
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: 2015 Nuci's/Homecoming Fundraiser and DVD offer

Post by Jonicont »

A few reviews are in

I didn’t know where to post this but just wanted to make sure y’all know how fucking good the DVDs from this show are.
Jonicont is so good as editing these videos it makes me wonder what his real job was prior to retirement. The show was excellent and the document of it is as well. When the second song is Lookout Mountain you know this show is going to be a shit kicker. There are three DVD’s and # 2 contains so many good songs in a row it’s an embarrassment of riches. The solo that Cooley plays at the end of World Of Hurt is life affirming.If you were at this show I don’t know why you haven’t gotten these already. (Talk about the ultimate souvenir.) If you like this band getting these is a wise decision.
Rocky

Well shot, good sound, and a great show. DBT brings it, and you feel like you are in the audience with the other folks there at the 9:30 club in DC. A rockin' show, great set list, and some personal faves such as Tornadoes, Carl Perkins'Cadillac and Where the Devil Don't stay mix with new classics like Pauline Hawkins make this a great addition to the collection
F. White

I have watched it several times,and it was an awesome show. One I would loved to have attended. Y'all did a fabulous job with the DVDs, the video and sound quality is top notch. Thanks for making it available and keep up the good work
Porkulater

I thought that this was excellent. The Austin City Limits DVD didn't capture the band in it's natural habitat like this did. It was raw, just like seeing them in person
Werk

Great DVD ... we enjoyed watching it. Kudos to the 3DD film and sound crew for capturing the spirit & intensity of a live DBT show.... well done!
Freefall

"Flawless audio, multiple camera angles, and the sort of setlist that reminds us all why DBT is America's greatest rock band, despite the fact that several members are now eligible for AARP memberships. Talk about blowing the curve. Also, dig the acapella intro to "Play It All Night Long" - a double shot of Zevon! Anyway, if Black Ice Verite left you craving more, look no further - this one could just as easily have gotten an official release. Nuci's Space is a great organization and a very worthwhile cause. I donated - you should too."
Jimmyjack

Got my DVD of Patterson's 50th birthday show. Wow what a great job you and the rest of the crew did on that. I think it was great you were able to record this show for history and for a great cause! The sound quality was outstanding and the video was equally professional (better than Live at the 40 watt and right up there with the ACL dvd.). Just wanted to let you know how much we less tech savvy fans appreciate all the live feeds and now this great DVD. Props to you and the whole crew!
BBCoach
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I made it to six shows on this tour. The 9:30 show wasn't one of them, but the DVD represents the night well and gave me a strong sense of what I missed. It also highlights what I have enjoyed so much about this tour: the chance to see the band at its most comfortable and relaxed. The editing is really impressive, with some nice long takes that keep the focus where it should be, on the playing. The sound is superb, even when played loudly
Notarydpo72
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Got the DVD a couple days ago and it is AWESOME!! Was fortunate enough to be at both 9:30 shows and getting to relive Sunday night is pretty cool!! Thanks to Jonicont, Bill, Allison and Cooleygirl for the great job you all did filming it!!
Markuso
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Got it today. Currently four songs in and it is seriously fucking fantastic.
If you don't run you rust

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:Got it today. Currently four songs in and it is seriously fucking fantastic.

and Clams ain't a "video guy"
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Get 'em while they're hot

Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote:Got it today. Currently four songs in and it is seriously fucking fantastic.

and Clams ain't a "video guy"

That is true. I made my donation to Nuci's a few weeks ago but passed on the dvd's because I generally prefer to listen to my music rather than sit and watch it. But based on the reviews posted by Jonicont last week, I asked him to send me the dvd's after all. John asked for a review so here it is: I watched the first of the three discs last night and like I said, it is REALLY good. As for the show -- first of all, the setlist speaks for itself. Second, if you've seen DBT at the 9:30 Club (I have twice) then you know that it's one of those venues where they always bring it - the band loves the venue, the set lists are great, the shows are long and rowdy, the crowd is into it, etc. Third, the band is in really good spirits at this particular show because it was Patterson's 50th bday. So it was a great show to record. And as for the production - it's hard to believe that this is an amateur deal where the cameras were all shot by 3dd board members, Jonicont's editing is first class all the way, the sound is perfect, etc. Pretty cool that John did this and that he's giving it out for what is basically a minimal donation to Nuci's (which is a very worthy cause if you are a fan of the truckers - which I assume you are if you're reading this). Kudos to Jonicont and his crew.
If you don't run you rust

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

You know you want one

Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, you really do want one. A few thoughts/reactions below. On re-reading this thread I was struck by how similar my comments are to Clams's, down to us both not being video guys. I had no recollection of his post when I wrote mine, but I would not be surprised if there was a subconscious influence. I blame Clams.

The performance: It's the Drive By Truckers. They're at the 9:30 Club. It's Patterson Hood's 50th birthday. It's a 28 song set list including a 10 song encore. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about the show, you probably shouldn't be reading this. Plus it catches the band at a great time with the current line-up at the top of its game, the band members clearly having a blast and the new songs already fitting seamlessly in with the older more familiar material.

The video: I am incredibly impressed. It's nice to know that I have friends who can make something of this quality. I don't watch that much concert video but w/ a couple of very minor exceptions I can't tell the difference between this and a commercial video. With some liner notes and the typical credit info added, the band could easily and proudly sell this at the merch table as a "professional product." The sound is excellent, the videography is equal to the sound and the editing is spectacular. It's obvious that the camera people have a real feel for and appreciation of the band in its live incarnation. I don't know what more one could want in a straight concert video (as opposed to a "behind the scenes" type movie or whatever).

The deal: As a pure economic proposition, this is a bargain at 20 bucks. As a free extra for making a contribution to a worthy cause you were probably going to make anyway and that will make u feel good just by itself, this is the steal of the century. The box should come w/ a warning label though: WARNING: It is dangerous to watch this concert video unless you have confirmed tickets for a rock show within the next 30 days. Otherwise, you might experience negative reactions including severe depression, hair loss, night sweats and the irresistible urge to yell at your boss.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

Seriously digging the DVD's. I wish there was some way to pin the offer to the top of the various FB feeds but I'm bumping it up whenever I get the chance.

Rob

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Thanks to all who have donated so far, we appreciate it!
Let's keep going and raise as much money as we can for Nuci's. Remember, that is our primary goal, and the DVDs are a bonus.
We have raised about $5000 so far, but a few years ago, we raised $8000. I challenge all of you to beat that amount this year!
Please donate more than $20 if you possibly can!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Wow, you folks are awesome! $7,800 was raised because of your generosity! Words can't express. Thank you all again!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved