MARGO & HAROLD

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

El Rey de San Antone

MARGO & HAROLD

Post by El Rey de San Antone »

WHY THE FUCK DO THEY NEVER PLAY THIS SONG

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIqJtU6-3c

brett27295

Re: MARGO & HAROLD

Post by brett27295 »

I've caught it live a few times. Not one of my all-time favorites though. The biggest travesty is the fact that Cooley never plays One Of These Days any more...
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's probably my favorite Patterson song (within the context of the Truckers). Cool that they broke it out the last time I saw 'em at the Cradle in Carrboro a couple years ago.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

brett27295 wrote:I've caught it live a few times. Not one of my all-time favorites though. The biggest travesty is the fact that Cooley never plays One Of These Days any more...

Amen to that, such a great song. When was the last time they played it...anyone know?

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I second that "amen to that". Love this song.

Eyes Above It wrote:
brett27295 wrote:I've caught it live a few times. Not one of my all-time favorites though. The biggest travesty is the fact that Cooley never plays One Of These Days any more...

Amen to that, such a great song. When was the last time they played it...anyone know?

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's probably my favorite Patterson song (within the context of the Truckers). Cool that they broke it out the last time I saw 'em at the Cradle in Carrboro a couple years ago.

While I wouldn't go quite that high, I'd definitely put in my top 10 or so Patterson songs.

I might have been lucky catching it more often than average (5x over 50 shows, plus I just about every one of the half-dozen or so Patterson solo shows I've seen).

I'd say it probably gets played about the right amount, based on that average... it's always one of my favorites when the play it, but the novelty might wear off a bit if it was played more often....it's one of those songs, like, say, Southern Thing or Burford stick that'll I'll probably only get once, maybe twice, a year (going to 10-15 shnows a year), and it'll be a highlight when i get it, but the relative rarity is part of the fun, if you get my drift.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's probably my favorite Patterson song (within the context of the Truckers). Cool that they broke it out the last time I saw 'em at the Cradle in Carrboro a couple years ago.

While I wouldn't go quite that high, I'd definitely put in my top 10 or so Patterson songs.

I might have been lucky catching it more often than average (5x over 50 shows, plus I just about every one of the half-dozen or so Patterson solo shows I've seen).

I'd say it probably gets played about the right amount, based on that average... it's always one of my favorites when the play it, but the novelty might wear off a bit if it was played more often....it's one of those songs, like, say, Southern Thing or Burford stick that'll I'll probably only get once, maybe twice, a year (going to 10-15 shnows a year), and it'll be a highlight when i get it, but the relative rarity is part of the fun, if you get my drift.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

This reminds me of perhaps the strongest opening sequence of any DBT show I've seen.... Orange Peel 6/24/2011...

Southern Thing
Uncle Frank
Buford Stick (First time played since 2006)
Self-Destructive Zones
Play It All Night Long
When The Pin Hits The Shell

(The rest of the show cooked too.... The Company I Keep, The Deeper In, Too Much Sex (TLJ)...

Clams

Post by Clams »

They played it at homecoming last February. Third night I think. It was glorious.
If you don't run you rust

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

One of my all-time faves....especially when they get that swampy, smoky shuffle cooking in there....

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tyler wrote:I'd say it probably gets played about the right amount, based on that average... it's always one of my favorites when the play it, but the novelty might wear off a bit if it was played more often....it's one of those songs, like, say, Southern Thing or Burford stick that'll I'll probably only get once, maybe twice, a year (going to 10-15 shnows a year), and it'll be a highlight when i get it, but the relative rarity is part of the fun, if you get my drift.

I don't analyze setlists or keep count of how many times I've seen the Truckers but I know there for a while, they played "The Southern Thing" (with the exact same intro) every time I saw them, so much so that I got burnt out on it.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Hah, yea, that happens. Same thing happened to me with Bulldozers and Dirt. There was a stretch back in 2011 when they played that like 8 of the first 9 shows I saw.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Could be manufacturing this but I think I recall an article where Patterson said they don't play it much because the real Margot and Harold found out the song was about them (or something like that). In the same vein as them not playing Bufford Stick anymore out of respect for the remaining Pusser family.

It's 5am and I've been shoveling for 2 hours already so cut me some slack if I Fd this all up.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Actually, quite the opposite.

Patterson actually went into it a one of his solo shows...

It's on archive.org...which I'll dig out later when that site is back up.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tyler wrote:Actually, quite the opposite.

Patterson actually went into it a one of his solo shows...

It's on archive.org...which I'll dig out later when that site is back up.

Exactly, Tyler. I remember Patterson saying the real "Harold" demanded that they play it.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Pretty much. Was a solo show though.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Clams

Post by Clams »

So what do y'all think happened on that night with Margo so long ago and why is he worried about how much Harold knows?
If you don't run you rust

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 pm
So what do y'all think happened on that night with Margo so long ago and why is he worried about how much Harold knows?
Good question, Clams! I think this thread doesn't quite give this song the proper treatment it deserves.

Either it is as straight forward as the lyrics insinuate, OR it is much more complicated...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Margo would say, “Just stick it up my....”
dime in the gutter wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:25 pm

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Well, there was no "Gimp", but sounds terrifying enough. Back in my teens I used to hang out with some people who owned some pretty dangerous hand-guns ('44 Magnums etc.) and they loved having them laying around in the basement where we would be drinking to get in mood for the weekend's shenanigans. That is not a great combination...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa