DBTs at Cat's Cradle 1.31.15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBTs at Cat's Cradle 1.31.15

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow, sounds like quite a night. I love when that happens, but I love it more when I'm there.

How many more days?...
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

sully72

Post by sully72 »

This was my buddy's first show, I've been talking up DBT to him for awhile now - looks like they delivered, damn. Great looking set.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

MC Taylor (aka Hiss Golden Messenger) was at the show, this is from his facebook page

Last night, I went to see the Drive-By Truckers-- purely as a fan-- and I was reminded, yet again, about how powerful and transcendental music can be, how broad and-- at it's best-- all-inclusive and spiritually productive.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dogstar wrote:MC Taylor (aka Hiss Golden Messenger) was at the show, this is from his facebook page

Last night, I went to see the Drive-By Truckers-- purely as a fan-- and I was reminded, yet again, about how powerful and transcendental music can be, how broad and-- at it's best-- all-inclusive and spiritually productive.

...and to think, I have friends that will no longer go see DBT live because they're too cool to since they used to see them play for 5 people at Humble Pie and Sadlack's back in the day. Fuck that shit. If you love a band, don't you also still love them when they're playing sold out shows at the Cradle 15 years later? I know I do.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Hope someone was rollin' tape, I never took notice. I filmed this 'un though.

Nice video...one of the highlights of the show was when Patterson tears into the opening riff of this song. I'm about 4 big cans of Fosters in at this point which I guess explains the idiot in the bottom corner pumping his fist like an idiot lol
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Wow, what a show. Went with a buddy, a first timer, and he was suitably blown away.

How many fights? I saw two, one very early on. Spoke to the bouncer mid show and he said he had kicked out 9 people already. We were on the left, midway down, in the little "tunnel" that used to be sectioned off and used as the entrance when it was in the front. A girl in one of those puffer coats was constantly going from the front to the rear using that alley, and was so drunk she pinballed off every other person. finally saw her drunk ass getting hauled out by some poor guy.

I go to lots of shows by a pretty diverse collection of bands and I see more of this stuff at DBT shows than anywhere else, by a wide margin.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Dean wrote:Wow, what a show. Went with a buddy, a first timer, and he was suitably blown away.

How many fights? I saw two, one very early on. Spoke to the bouncer mid show and he said he had kicked out 9 people already. We were on the left, midway down, in the little "tunnel" that used to be sectioned off and used as the entrance when it was in the front. A girl in one of those puffer coats was constantly going from the front to the rear using that alley, and was so drunk she pinballed off every other person. finally saw her drunk ass getting hauled out by some poor guy.

I go to lots of shows by a pretty diverse collection of bands and I see more of this stuff at DBT shows than anywhere else, by a wide margin.

Wow, had no idea it was that wild back off the rail. I suspected because when I made a final run to the bathroom and another beer about 20 minutes before DBT hit the stage it was packed and looked like many were already halfway to being wasted. Area near the stage was about as chill as any show I've ever been to. Of course we were mostly surrounded by a few folks from 3DD and some of the FB groups. Wild, loud crowd...and evidently a drunken fighting crowd as well lol.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Spiritually productive"
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

dogstar wrote:MC Taylor (aka Hiss Golden Messenger) was at the show, this is from his facebook page

Very cool message by MC Taylor. I hope Hiss Golden Messenger shares some stages with DBT later this year. That would be a tremendous bill.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Hud

Post by Hud »

GREAT solid show, what was the clash jam they did,? Thanks for,setlist KG. It was crowded in the back, but on up , it wasn't bad. I thought the audience was good, didn't see any problems.....the place roared during 'hell no'

My only , very minor disappointment, was that there were no signed posters for sale, was there a poster at all?
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Bill in CT wrote:

Very cool message by MC Taylor. I hope Hiss Golden Messenger shares some stages with DBT later this year. That would be a tremendous bill.

I second that.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Hud wrote:My only , very minor disappointment, was that there were no signed posters for sale, was there a poster at all?

No show poster or even a tour poster. I asked Paul at the merch table and he said they didn't do either on this small tour. Too bad as I love show posters

Kudzu Guillotine

Hud wrote:GREAT solid show, what was the clash jam they did,? Thanks for,setlist KG. It was crowded in the back, but on up , it wasn't bad. I thought the audience was good, didn't see any problems.....the place roared during 'hell no'

My only , very minor disappointment, was that there were no signed posters for sale, was there a poster at all?

Thanks but props go to BigTom for posting the setlist. Didn't pick up on the Clash jam. No poster that I'm aware of. Did anyone record the show?

Dean

Post by Dean »

is the "Clash jam" the outro jam and the end of the encore where all the guys exited one at a time while the remaining guys jammed on?

Hud

Post by Hud »

Sorry about that, thanks for setlist bigtom. Speaking of BigTom.......you are a taper right? I sure hope a recording surfaces.

I thought I heard heard a bit of clampdown or death and glory very early, maybe the end of PPOTM. I was in the back getting a beer so could be my imagination.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Like everyone said...this show kicked ass. I saw them in one of the early shows of the tour at the Ritz in Raleigh and they were good, but Patterson wasn't talkative and we didn't get any intros. The Cats Cradle show was high energy and PH got into it and included some tidbits of family history. He talked about "The General" some but I knew that story. It's fun to see his intro's evolve over the years. Having heard various iterations of them I appreciate it when he get's personal and let's us in.

On a side note - not that I really care what your personal philosophy on barroom behavior is, but I almost got into it several times with the bastards crowding into the egress isle over along the seats on the right hand side of the room. I've had both hips replaced, broke my leg in three places, have a bad back with several surgeries, and just can't stand for hours like i could when I was younger. So, I always go to shows early to get a seat so I can make it through to the end.

I don't mind sitting on a aisle because most folks are nice and say excuse me and hell, it's a concert, you expect to get jostled some. But halfway through the show a bunch of pricks started bunching up in front of me in the tiny aisle and didn't leave me room to sit down and were blocking everyone else who needed to get to the bar from the front. Big traffic jams.

So, I asked some of them to move on because they were blocking the lane. I had a few words with about four folks but they moved on and traffic flowed again. Now look, I'm a big guy, and I guess I look intimidating, but I'm mannerly and polite and respectful. Had someone asked me to move because I was blocking I'd have said "I'm sorry" and moved on out of their way. So, this fat bastard of a Baby Boomer - Chapel Hill aging wannabe hipster - stands in front of me and was keeping me from sitting and my hips couldn't take it. He starts being a real dick about it and so we damn near got into it. I cussed him up and down and he persisted in being a dick. He said "No matter where I stand I'm blocking someone" to which I replied "I don't care where the fuck you stand as long as it isn't in front of me". Now, I had several other old folks seated around us who were having the same problem. One chick's dad just ended up getting up and leaving early because he couldn't sit back down.

IN my younger years I would have imprinted my skull rings right in that dudes forehead but the 500+ people there kept me in line. But it's a toss up how it might end next time.

I guess my point is that people often use the seats for a good reason and if you're being an asshole because you are pretty sure the big hillbilly biker lookin dude behind you won't punch your lights out because there are too many witnesses - well, that's a gamble you take on the social contract counteracting the prodigious amount of Jim Beam he's likely imbibed. And you should be prepared to walk the walk if he asks you to meet him out back after the show.
"You can take a boy out of the country, but ya can't take the country out of the boy..."

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Welcome for the setlist. We did tape the show but the deck decided to shut itself off mid way through the show. Don't know how much I missed but there is a huge gap. Battery was fine as it recorded the rest of the show, after I noticed it was shutdown I restarted. The good thing is my friend Tim got the entire show and hopefully he gets it up soon.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Kudzu Guillotine

BigTom wrote:Welcome for the setlist. We did tape the show but the deck decided to shut itself off mid way through the show. Don't know how much I missed but there is a huge gap. Battery was fine as it recorded the rest of the show, after I noticed it was shutdown I restarted. The good thing is my friend Tim got the entire show and hopefully he gets it up soon.

Major props to the both of ya. My heart jumped when I saw that your deck shut down midway through. Super double props to your friend for catching the whole thing.

Kudzu Guillotine

Review of the show from IndyWeek.

Live: In Carrboro, the Drive-By Truckers get generous

Photo by David Klein

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Great review!!

Kudzu Guillotine

Anyone know if a copy of the show has surfaced yet? Thanks.