Patterson Hood--What It Means

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Markalanbishop

Re: Patterson Hood--What It Means

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:
Smitty wrote:. I do get a kick out of the "fans" who seem surprised at The political stance of DBTs.

Seriously. With such a large part of the DBT canon being heavily dependent on the narrative, I'm wondering if these folks are listening to the same records that I am

Born in the U.S.A., baby.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Swamp wrote:
Cole Younger wrote: I don't think that has anything to do with anyone's "true colors".

I think "true colors" is a metaphor for being a racist if you don't agree with Patterson

Y'all must be reading different comments than I. I do get a kick out of the "fans" who seem surprised at The political stance of DBTs.

I know what you mean. But for some of them, they may totally get it and not agree most of the time and that might not be a problem for them. But they may just feel the need to speak up from time to time.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Jonicont wrote:
Smitty wrote:. I do get a kick out of the "fans" who seem surprised at The political stance of DBTs.

Seriously. With such a large part of the DBT canon being heavily dependent on the narrative, I'm wondering if these folks are listening to the same records that I am

Do not confuse me with anyone in this category.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Regardless of the fans' personal views on the case it is a privilege to have Patterson share his songwriting process with the rest of us.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Hey! That's where my daughters and I were sitting last night!

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I was one of the people who was turned off by the shot in the back line. This version, to me, hits the nail on the head, falls into the "I don't know what it means" category, and is pretty much perfect now. Kudos Patterson.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Great job, Patterson! It's perfect!

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Fantastic!

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Nice - glad to have been there as well to see/hear it performed for the first time live.
(I was standing in the back by the raised seating area)

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Hated the song when Patterson posted it on Facebook. Now after hearing the backstory (they shot him 7 times first), and the fact that he removed the line about "shot in the back", I dont mind it so much. The story he told here gave me a much better understanding about where he's coming from.

What it Means Story
https://ia601505.us.archive.org/8/items ... -19t23.mp3

What it Means Song
https://ia601505.us.archive.org/8/items ... -19t24.mp3

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

This song is a tough listen in the same way that I have found other art pieces to challenge me.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:This song is a tough listen in the same way that I have found other art pieces to challenge me.
He played it in Selma, AL a couple days after Christmas in front of a crowd that I wasn't sure wanted to hear that message. It was one of the bravest things I've ever seen a performer do. He nailed it and received a huge round of applause. We were very proud that night.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Eyes Above It wrote:Hated the song when Patterson posted it on Facebook. Now after hearing the backstory (they shot him 7 times first), and the fact that he removed the line about "shot in the back", I dont mind it so much. The story he told here gave me a much better understanding about where he's coming from.

What it Means Story
https://ia601505.us.archive.org/8/items ... -19t23.mp3

What it Means Song
https://ia601505.us.archive.org/8/items ... -19t24.mp3
Thanks for posting this.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Rocky wrote:This song is a tough listen in the same way that I have found other art pieces to challenge me.
He played it in Selma, AL a couple days after Christmas in front of a crowd that I wasn't sure wanted to hear that message. It was one of the bravest things I've ever seen a performer do. He nailed it and received a huge round of applause. We were very proud that night.
I was there. Great show after a rough start. Band of heathens was great too.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I was there. Great show after a rough start. Band of heathens was great too.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I had completely skipped this thread when it first showed up on November - not for any reason; I had no idea what was inside it. So I heard both the song and the story for the first time on Friday night and couldn't believe how powerful this song feels to me.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I had to listen to this one today with what's happening in Baltimore.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Bump
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Those of you who have been waiting to hear this one till the record comes out because you don't want your opinion biased by a poor recording or because you want to hear the lyrics clearly might check this out:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

backroads

Post by backroads »

Catchy yes but not my favorite song. Must say when I heard it for the first time it was live in person, the "Shot him in the back" made me say what? That's not what happened. That REALLY turned me off. DBT paraded a BLM sign up on stage and I literally starting watching people walk out of the concert. I know DBT have always been somewhat political and lean left of center on most every issue out there and I've accepted it. I have my own thoughts about BLM that I won't bore anyone with. I did stay for the rest of the concert but decided it was time to get a beer and sit this song out if it's going to have false information to push an agenda.

I noticed now he's changed the lyrics, hence what brought me to the board tonight. I'm glad he changed it live but haven't heard the studio version yet. My guess with plenty of time they will correct it before it releases?? There is enough bad information being spread by the media/news, lets not write a song based on real life events and change those events. If you want a real song, with real meaning, about real life written to change real minds you shouldn't use false information. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. So I applaud him for at least making that change. Curious about the rest of the album and will try to pick thru some recent concerts to see if any other songs catch my attention.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

backroads wrote:Catchy yes but not my favorite song. Must say when I heard it for the first time it was live in person, the "Shot him in the back" made me say what? That's not what happened. That REALLY turned me off. DBT paraded a BLM sign up on stage and I literally starting watching people walk out of the concert. I know DBT have always been somewhat political and lean left of center on most every issue out there and I've accepted it. I have my own thoughts about BLM that I won't bore anyone with. I did stay for the rest of the concert but decided it was time to get a beer and sit this song out if it's going to have false information to push an agenda.

I noticed now he's changed the lyrics, hence what brought me to the board tonight. I'm glad he changed it live but haven't heard the studio version yet. My guess with plenty of time they will correct it before it releases?? There is enough bad information being spread by the media/news, lets not write a song based on real life events and change those events. If you want a real song, with real meaning, about real life written to change real minds you shouldn't use false information. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. So I applaud him for at least making that change. Curious about the rest of the album and will try to pick thru some recent concerts to see if any other songs catch my attention.
Myself and a few others on here had a problem with the "shot him in the back" lyric. I saw him play it live in December of 2014 and he had changed it by then and I believe it is amended in the new studio version too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I could be wrong, but I think that possibly he said "shot him in the back" on the debut performance in Selma (or Florence, can't remember, but I'm not even sure he did there) but I don't believe he's sang that since. He changed the lyrics immediately after posting them on Facebook. I've seen it performed 3 times with the band and not seen a single person walk out. Not doubting anyone's story, just giving my two cents.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:I could be wrong, but I think that possibly he said "shot him in the back" on the debut performance in Selma (or Florence, can't remember, but I'm not even sure he did there) but I don't believe he's sang that since. He changed the lyrics immediately after posting them on Facebook. I've seen it performed 3 times with the band and not seen a single person walk out. Not doubting anyone's story, just giving my two cents.
I was at the Florence show and he changed it.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

jr29 wrote:
Smitty wrote:I could be wrong, but I think that possibly he said "shot him in the back" on the debut performance in Selma (or Florence, can't remember, but I'm not even sure he did there) but I don't believe he's sang that since. He changed the lyrics immediately after posting them on Facebook. I've seen it performed 3 times with the band and not seen a single person walk out. Not doubting anyone's story, just giving my two cents.
"in his tracks" at Athens and Atlanta shows.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

jr29 wrote:
that's what I thought. I don't think he ever performed the "back" version.

well, I guess I am placing some doubt after all.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Smitty wrote:
jr29 wrote:
that's what I thought. I don't think he ever performed the "back" version.

well, I guess I am placing some doubt after all.
I saw him play it for the first time at Eddie's Attic. He had to use a lyric sheet and had a couple of starts and stops during the song. It was "back" that one time. Even then it got a standing ovation.

backroads

Post by backroads »

Two of the people that left, I came to the show with (separate cars). It may have been the BLM sign more than the lyrics though.

Maybe he slipped, maybe I mis-heard because I had read the lyrics prior to seeing the show. IDK

backroads

Post by backroads »

Ok, I did some digging and found a copy of the concert. I indeed am mistaken and didn't hear him correctly. None-the-less, I'm still glad he chose to revise the lyrics to make them more accurate.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

That first verse was not written about Michael Brown. Everyone assumed it was,
and I think Patterson changed the line to stave off pedantic dicks.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.