Homecoming 2015: 2/12, 2/13, 2/14 @ The Fabulous 40 Watt!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: Homecoming 2015: 2/12, 2/13, 2/14 @ The Fabulous 40 Watt

Post by Beaverdam »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:And thanks to everyone else, even the girl who complained about the old guy farting on her--if you are reading this, that was a grave injustice which you should post it on Facebook--and the guy weaving enough that when his wife left to finish her show from the sidelines, I couldn't slide into her spot. As Bob Dylan says, "Everybody will help you. Some people are very kind." Whether you were helpful-kind or helpful-otherwise, thanks! It wouldn't have been the same without any of you and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I've never been to Homecoming nor the 40 Watt but I'm ready to start planning for Homecoming 2016. I've learmed a couple of valuable, prepatory lessons through reason the thread. If I'm at the Rock Show and mistakenly fart, then I know to:
1. NOT say, "excuse me," for fear of being labeled "South Georgia Trash"
2. Just blame Clams for my fart...seems so effective I might try it I'm the bedroom at home!

I'm really hoping there's a track called "South Georgia Trash" on the next DBT record!!!!

RMD

Post by RMD »

Been listening to the shows. Fantastic. The Feb. 14th with Lydia is a bit painful, but the rest is great. Hope you all made it home ok. I need to make a Homecoming.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Friday night was the bizness, easily one of the best I've caught. But Truckers shows are like sex and pizza... Even if it's not mindblowing it's still really fucking good. It's like Cooley came out w something to prove.

Sorry to hear about all those that fell ill over the wkend. While I spent most of the flight home in a near coma, a good workout and 20 min in the steamroom today and I feel like a new man.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cooley's performance of A Love Like This Friday night...wow. Inspired doesn't begin to describe it. Dude put his heart into that one in a big way.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

RMD wrote:Feb. 14th with Lydia is a bit painful

why do you say that?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I thought she sounded good.
Last edited by brett27295 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

RMD wrote:The Feb. 14th with Lydia is a bit painful, but the rest is great.

I was standing stage left about 3 feet off the rail right behind 3DD'er Jimandjewell. I couldn't hear Lydia at all through the PA (most likely due to my location)...but I could hear her live lol. I could hear her singing without the mic over the wail of sound coming from DBT, she was directly in front of me. I thought that was pretty awesome...she was really wailing.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
RMD wrote:The Feb. 14th with Lydia is a bit painful, but the rest is great.

I was standing stage left about 3 feet off the rail right behind 3DD'er Jimandjewell. I couldn't hear Lydia at all through the PA (most likely due to my location)...but I could hear her live lol. I could hear her singing without the mic over the wail of sound coming from DBT, she was directly in front of me. I thought that was pretty awesome...she was really wailing.

I thought she sounded great on that too.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:Someone must have brought a bug to the party, because I've gone into full blown laryngitis/bronchitis.

The Athens crud. This is what we don't tell new HC people about. It's the land of a thousand hugs but with the hugs come the germs. I'm fighting something off myself but not down for the count so far.

Honestly, if a person is gonna get sick, it's a pretty cool way to do it.
Now it's dark.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Flea wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:Someone must have brought a bug to the party, because I've gone into full blown laryngitis/bronchitis.

The Athens crud. This is what we don't tell new HC people about. It's the land of a thousand hugs but with the hugs come the germs. I'm fighting something off myself but not down for the count so far.

Honestly, if a person is gonna get sick, it's a pretty cool way to do it.

I feel fine. Looks like Makers kills all known germs.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Drove down from Central PA with Freefall for my first Homecoming experience. Not much to add from eveyone else has said, except I haven't gotten sick yet. I enjoyed my first Homecoming, though I only did the first two nights, but I enjoyed the whole Athens experience. The first night with Camped Ampted Band (they have a new name which I forgot) and Jay with his band had a real community feel, I felt like I was part of Athens. I really enjoyed Jay's set. He showed off his true talent as a songwriter and performer and had great group of musicians playing with him. The second night was a little more hectic, but, clearly, DBT created a lot of electricity. I always love to here Devil Don't Stay and Ronnie and Neil in one show. I'm a huge fan of Lydia Loveless and, in my mind, she did not disapoint. Loved the fact that she came out to sing on Feb 14, and wish I could hear more of her on that song, but I'll take what I can get. Got to see DBT do Eighteen and Margo and Harold which I have never seen them do in person. I saw a lot of Lucero hats and shirts throughout the weekend.

A side note, I really loved the sweet tea at the Mayflower. I always thought sweet tea was just sweet tea, but the sweet tea at the Mayflower was special. Or was I just imagining.

My thanks to Athens Joe for putting on the great party and making me feel welcome in Athens, and to Jonicont, Big Tom, Cooley Girl, Uncle Ricky and TC for doing all that they do for the band, Nuci's, the streaming and everything else which brings us all together. On another side note, I had several discussions regarding Tom Waits as I was donning my Tom Waits t-shirt on friday. In a couple of those conversations, I mentioned Tom doing the Piano has been Drinking on the old show Fernwood 2night with Martin Mull. He's this first guest on the clip below, if you're old enough like me, you should enjoy this:

bogart

Post by bogart »

I thought this year's HC was probably one of the best...so far. Friday night was unbelievable. I felt like crap but that seemed to fade away more every night. I had the honor of helping film, with the sweet Allison. I hope we did you justice Doc! Towards the end of the night (Friday) a big ol' drunk boy wormed his way up front and was practically knocking me over. I gave him the Bogart DEATH LOOK. He didn't back down, called me a bitch and the dark face of evil!!!! Ha! Whatever. Like Amy Madigan said in Streets of Fire, "Everywhere you go you're gonna meet an asshole." Fuck 'em.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

bogart wrote:I thought this year's HC was probably one of the best...so far. Friday night was unbelievable. I felt like crap but that seemed to fade away more every night. I had the honor of helping film, with the sweet Allison. I hope we did you justice Doc! Towards the end of the night (Friday) a big ol' drunk boy wormed his way up front and was practically knocking me over. I gave him the Bogart DEATH LOOK. He didn't back down, called me a bitch and the dark face of evil!!!! Ha! Whatever. Like Amy Madigan said in Streets of Fire, "Everywhere you go you're gonna meet an asshole." Fuck 'em.

I met your husband and we had a good talk after Saturday's show over on the Group W bench by the coat check. Tell him I said hello.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

zman wrote:Here is my recording from Night 3 of the Homecoming shows:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=578150

Thanks Z....hopefully I will get some of mine up this week.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

My son Bill was up front on the rail Friday night and close to the front on Saturday and had the time of his life. It was a pleasure hearing from everyone how well he fit in. He's already asking about next year.

Rob H.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Listen to the tape, Lydia is severely off key.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bogart wrote:I thought this year's HC was probably one of the best...so far. Friday night was unbelievable. I felt like crap but that seemed to fade away more every night. I had the honor of helping film, with the sweet Allison. I hope we did you justice Doc! Towards the end of the night (Friday) a big ol' drunk boy wormed his way up front and was practically knocking me over. I gave him the Bogart DEATH LOOK. He didn't back down, called me a bitch and the dark face of evil!!!! Ha! Whatever. Like Amy Madigan said in Streets of Fire, "Everywhere you go you're gonna meet an asshole." Fuck 'em.

Well if it makes you feel better I think he's going to remember my repeated elbows to his stomach until he finally backed off.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Sh*t Shot wrote:My son Bill was up front on the rail Friday night and close to the front on Saturday and had the time of his life. It was a pleasure hearing from everyone how well he fit in. He's already asking about next year.

Rob H.

If that was the 15-year old we stood with on Friday and Saturday, he got quite an education on music, life, and politics! I call that "good parenting"!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Special thank you to Flea for sharing all weekend!
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:Summing up the weekend

I think this really might be the best one. Sorry Clams, here at 3DD we're not really good at letting things go... :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Also just a shout out to those that took such great pictures this weekend both of the band(s) and the community. Some of the best I've seen over the years and will bring back memories for some time to come.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Also just a shout out to those that took such great pictures this weekend both of the band(s) and the community. Some of the best I've seen over the years and will bring back memories for some time to come.

Best place to see some of these pics?

Hoping to get a post of weekend highlights up soon....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Also just a shout out to those that took such great pictures this weekend both of the band(s) and the community. Some of the best I've seen over the years and will bring back memories for some time to come.

Best place to see some of these pics?

Hoping to get a post of weekend highlights up soon....

I think jonicont has a photobucket page but so many have ended up on Facebook. I'll try to get some links up later today.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

DrivebyMule

Post by DrivebyMule »

I don't usually post here, I just read through for all the great info. But I wanted to take the time to say what an awesome time it was and how great it was to see everyone I already knew and to meet so many more of you.

And thanks Doc for giving me the honor of filming Friday.

See ya on the road.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Bill in CT wrote:

Still trying to figure out how this made it's way onto the setlist! Oh to be a fly on the wall for this conversation.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I liked it better in theory than in execution, but I still love that they tried it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:Special thank you to Flea for sharing all weekend!

It's kind of a personal philosophy. Fly the Freak Flag and obey The Golden Rule. Good karma tends to follow.
Now it's dark.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Once again our weekend in Athens was unforgettable. We met way too many fine people to mention, and definitely had our socks rocked clean off. Hanging out with Gaetzi and his awesome fiance Noelle made our weekend extra special.

You can always count on Drive-By Truckers to bring it, especially at homecoming. They just seem happier. Patterson said that this was his favorite homecoming ever, and I believe it. The vibe at the 40 Watt and in Athens reflects that special comradery that occurs when people with a shared passion gather to celebrate. There were a lot of great moments this weekend, but the resurrection of One of These Days, Heathens, Margo and Harold, First Air of Autumn, Daddy Needs a Drink, Opening Act, MUEO, and that sick encore on Saturday night were real highlights for me.

The Nuci's Space silent auction was extra cool. I'm really glad that we were able to be there to mingle and to finally meet the esteemed Jenn Bryant. I also walked off with the Hard Working Americans CD, signed by the whole band no less. Nuci's Space rocks!

Athens was great to us again, and the 40 Watt is legendary for a reason. Special thanks to AthensJoe for arranging the meet and greet, and to Jonicont for being so gracious and super cool. I hope to see everyone again somewhere at a rock show soon.

Here are a couple of my pix from heATHENS15.
The rest can be found here:http://brettelzey.com/heATHENS15/

The rest can be found here:http://brettelzey.com/heATHENS15/