DBT in Asheville at the Peel on 1/16 & 1/17/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Markalanbishop

Re: DBT in Asheville at the Peel on 1/16 & 1/17/15

Post by Markalanbishop »

Cole Younger wrote:I've really enjoyed this stream. Best versions of PPOM and Buttholeville I've ever heard.

I love the, to my ears, the early 70's Stones/Faces groove that Buttholeville has the past couple of years. This is a great fucking show.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Always go to night two
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

brett27295 wrote:It's fucking insane in the Orange Peel tonight!

Had to rub it in, but hey I know the bartender in my kitchen!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

2 years already--Damn
Always go to the show

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The boys were in beast mode tonight. Well done. Thanks Gordon.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks Gordon
Always go to the show

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I missed a good one but thanks again for the stream!

Mark350

Post by Mark350 »

Thanks for the streaming - it's been a couple of long nights here in the UK (it's now almost 6am!) but well worth it When I have a chance I'll be looking at the downloads for these two concerts - I feel like I was almost there!
~ deliver me in a black-winged bird ~

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Mark350 wrote:it's been a couple of long nights here in the UK (it's now almost 6am!)

Now that's fuckin hardcore
Always go to the show

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Great show tonight. Thank god we decided last minute to go. I was actually questioning my decision during the 4 hour drive today. Fantastic performance for our 20th show. Carborro in 2 weeks & then Athens shortly after. It's shaping up to be a great few weeks!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Jonicont wrote:2 years already--Damn

I hadn't been to a show since then, until this weekend. Tonight felt very life affirming.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

I am so glad my husband got tickets to these shows for my birthday. After a short (which felt like forever) hiatus, it was great to be back. Both shows were amazing. It was our first time to Asheville, and we really enjoyed the town. It was great hanging out with friends before and after the shows. As far as the shows go...

Night 1 started fast and hard. A show starting with Lookout Mountain never disappoints. And this one didn't either. I finally got to hear When Walter When Crazy live. Plus a fantastic rendition of Grand Canyon with Patterson finishing on keys.

Night 2 started with a nice slow burn, but picked up quickly. Lots of great songs with I'm Eighteen and Runaway Train early in the set. If I thought they couldn't beat the night before's Grand Canyon performance I was wrong. Patterson finished on keys once again. I wonder if this is now the standard. Only drawback backs to night 2 were the dude from CT who came all they way down who never spoke to anyone or cracked anything but a blank look on his face for the entire show and the selfie taking guy behind me for the encore.

Pictures to come when I get home.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Made a game day decision to drive up from Athens. First rock show of 2015. Fantastic time.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Another great rock show last night…only down side was Cooley's vocals so low in the mix on the opener…at least from my vantage point directly in front of him.

Great Runaway Train..and one of,if not, my favorite performance of Buttholeville to date.

JAYFROMBAMA

Post by JAYFROMBAMA »

Patterson sat down at the keyboards at The Fillmore on Friday night. That's the first time I'd ever seen him do it. It took me by surprise.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Nice effort RevMatt...Welcome to the South brother...awesome ride huh!!!!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Howlinwolf wrote:Nice effort RevMatt...Welcome to the South brother...awesome ride huh!!!!

My Eldorado has a sweet spot at around 85 mph. With the money I save on rent I am going to put a new Northstar engine in the Eldorado.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=577543

https://archive.org/details/dbt2015-01-17.ak40.flac16

Drive-By Truckers
01/17/2015
The Orange Peel
Asheville, NC

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Primer Coat
03. The Living Bubba
04. First Air Of Autumn
05. Heathens
06. 3 Dimes Down
07. I'm Eighteen
08. Sounds Better In The Song
09. Runaway Train
10. Get Downtown
11. Puttin' People On The Moon
12. Gravity's Gone
13. Used to Be a Cop
14. Women Without Whiskey
15. Box of Spiders
16. Uncle Frank
17. Buttholeville
18. Where The Devil Don't Stay
19. Lookout Mountain

Encore:
20. Shit Shots Count
21. Ronnie and Neil
22. Marry Me
23. A World Of Hurt
24. Zip City
25. Grand Canyon
Last edited by gordonlw on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Thanks Gordon for getting the music out to the masses...looking forward to listening to night two later on...

Hey RevMatt - Dig that ride of yours dude, how did it handle going up I-26???

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thanks for the recording Gordon, will make this three hour drive go by quickly. The encore is exactly what I am looking for, I appreciate you getting this up so quickly.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

no problem! archive link is now in my post above.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I just remembered my favorite moment from Saturday's show and it pretty much sums up why I love this band. When Cooley ripped into the opening riff of Women Without Whiskey Matt Patton literally pumped his fist like Tiger Woods before starting his bassline. It was just a great moment & to me shows how much they love playing together.

As a side note Tracy's new boss is a self-proclaimed DBT and Isbell fan. But he told her he really doesn't like the current lineup and doesn't go to as many shows any longer. People who think that way are just missing out. The band is firing on all cylinders and are a joy to watch.

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

brett27295 wrote:I just remembered my favorite moment from Saturday's show and it pretty much sums up why I love this band. When Cooley ripped into the opening riff of Women Without Whiskey Matt Patton literally pumped his fist like Tiger Woods before starting his bassline. It was just a great moment & to me shows how much they love playing together.

As a side note Tracy's new boss is a self-proclaimed DBT and Isbell fan. But he told her he really doesn't like the current lineup and doesn't go to as many shows any longer. People who think that way are just missing out. The band is firing on all cylinders and are a joy to watch.

good post brett. i agree. i was one of those people a few years ago who didn't know much DBT other than a mixed CD a friend had given me. it was half Isbell songs i think and i can be accused of making the same " yeah i like DBT, but theyre not the same since Isbell left bla bla bla" . . . ive certainly changed my ways. you're in Raleigh right brett? last i time i saw you i think was at the LB3 show the week before i went to alabama to catch LB3/Lucero/DBT for that festival. (it was awesome by the way)

anyhow, i saw you at the show on saturday man. left Raleigh area saturday morning early and did some sight seeing all day and got to Orange Peel at the opener. i was about 15 foot to your right about 6 head back from the stage. sound was just right off the far speaker. sort of wanted to get to the rail, but had my gf with me and like i said, the sound was great there. wanted to speak to you but never was able to get up there. enjoyed the hell out of the show. after seeing the first nights setlist i was a little hesitant. they sure didn't disappoint did they?!

and thanks to whoever put up the setlist.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

jgwheeler17 wrote:anyhow, i saw you at the show on saturday man. left Raleigh area saturday morning early and did some sight seeing all day and got to Orange Peel at the opener. i was about 15 foot to your right about 6 head back from the stage. sound was just right off the far speaker. sort of wanted to get to the rail, but had my gf with me and like i said, the sound was great there. wanted to speak to you but never was able to get up there. enjoyed the hell out of the show. after seeing the first nights setlist i was a little hesitant. they sure didn't disappoint did they?!

Yep that's me. I'll be going to the LB3 show in Raleigh April 12. They're back at Slim's. You going to the DBT show at the Cats Cradle next Saturday? If so, see you there.

Sound was pretty good upfront...actually really good considering where we were. Loved the show, especially once they got good and warmed up. I really like Primer Coat....but I'm not a fan of it as an opener. To me slower songs fit better in the middle of the show. Other than that, no other complaints.

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

brett27295 wrote:
jgwheeler17 wrote:anyhow, i saw you at the show on saturday man. left Raleigh area saturday morning early and did some sight seeing all day and got to Orange Peel at the opener. i was about 15 foot to your right about 6 head back from the stage. sound was just right off the far speaker. sort of wanted to get to the rail, but had my gf with me and like i said, the sound was great there. wanted to speak to you but never was able to get up there. enjoyed the hell out of the show. after seeing the first nights setlist i was a little hesitant. they sure didn't disappoint did they?!

Yep that's me. I'll be going to the LB3 show in Raleigh April 12. They're back at Slim's. You going to the DBT show at the Cats Cradle next Saturday? If so, see you there.

Sound was pretty good upfront...actually really good considering where we were. Loved the show, especially once they got good and warmed up. I really like Primer Coat....but I'm not a fan of it as an opener. To me slower songs fit better in the middle of the show. Other than that, no other complaints.

oh yeah i'll be at the LB3 show. been waiting on their new tour dates for a while. was glad Raleigh was a stop.

Cats Cradle show i will miss. going to the second night of the American Aquarium CD release party. was pumped for a while i could go to that on the first night, then DBT the next, but they added Turnpike Troubadours and John Moreland, couldn't miss it. probably why i drove all the way to freaking Asheville this weekend for Truckers!

and agreed on Primer Coat. pretty sure that's what they opened in Wilmington a few months ago. good song, but for some reason i keep hoping they would open a show with Shit Shots or just something with a little more drive.