Listening Party Feedback

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Listening Party Feedback

Post by CooleyGirl »

In my line of work, we're constantly searching for ways to take good ideas and improve on them.
With that in mind, and knowing Go Go Boots will be along one of these days, I thought it might be helpful for those of us who hosted Listening Parties to give some feedback on how they went and what could be done differently next time.

I thought the idea was fantastic. Let's get the word out about DBT, and how great they are.
The execution has room for improvement, I think.

1. For the most part, people who hosted the parties were hard core fans, and didn't do it to get something for free, they did it for their love of DBT, at least, that's why I did it. Having said that, there were a few issues with the materials.

2. The contest rules said stickers would be sent with the posters. As far as I know, nobody got any, and some people had trouble getting the posters.
3. The rules stated you could get free tickets. It would have been nice to know the amount of tickets up front.
4. The contest needed to be announced with more notice. We could have used more time to enter the contest, then needed more time to plan the parties. With the short notice, this also made the free tickets less attractive. The free tickets had to be used for a show within a month or two of the album release date. By the time we heard about the contest, we had already bought tickets for all of the eligible dates and were told we couldn't get tickets for a show to be scheduled later. We wound up getting tickets to a show we couldn't go to and gave them to a friend. It would have been nice to use them ourselves, but that wasn't an option for us.
5. Communication about the contest was spotty, some people got responses to questions right away while others waited days for a response.
6. I don't work in advertising for a living, it would have been nice to get guidance on how to advertise the event, other than putting it on FaceBook, etc. Perhaps a resource at the label could help with questions, or have a website full of ideas/tips?

Please add your thoughts.

Overall, I think it is a great idea to do Listening Parties, I just think ther is room for improvements so it goes better next time.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

revtodd

Re: Listening Party Feedback

Post by revtodd »

Yeah, the tix thing was messed up. I asked for Philly, so I could give them away at my party, but never got a confirmation.
I didn't even think to ask at will call on the day of show, but sure enough, I had two waiting for me. I didn't find out until a month or so later. The ATO guy sent me a message about the record being delayed. I told him I didn't care since I already had it, but asked about the tix. That's when he told me about Philly.
Had I known, I could have given them away to a friend or someone in the parking lot. It seems like such a waste. Still haven't gotten the record.

Anyway, I totally agree that the timeline was restraining. Having to throw the party by the release date was a problem for me. Plus, you kind of have to find a place with a stead crowd regardless. I loved the Swamp's video they did! Mine was pretty lame, to be honest. Next time, I need an extra couple of weeks to plan.
I would do it again.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

We would be glad to do a party for Go Go Boots and with more time we could attract more
people. But we're still waiting for the record co. to up hold their end of the deal. I'm not
worried about the replacement vinyl as long as we get the one for the party.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

The timing ~ We didn't have nearly enough time to set up a real good organized party. Due to that, we had a smaller crowd than we would have liked. As it was, we did manage to introduce DBT to three new fans so I know if we had more time, there would have been more people at the party to turn onto DBT.

We never received the tickets, although it sounds like we may have had them at will call in ATL but no one responded to the question and we already had ours. I think they should give the free pair of tickets to the hosts in advance to give away at the party.

The most frustrating part was the inability to reach the contact person!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

No tickets, no vinyl and no response here.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...