Columbus 10/23

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Columbus 10/23

Post by Zip City »

A few days away. Psyched to see Houndmouth. Pretty sure Monty will be there.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

mikem

Re: Columbus 10/23

Post by mikem »

What time will the truckers hit the stage?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

mikem wrote:What time will the truckers hit the stage?

Doors are at 7p, so show probably at 8p. I'd say the earliest they'd start would be 9:15?

mikem

Post by mikem »

Thanks

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I hear there will be a Rev Todd sighting tonight

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Best setlist of the tour?

1. Shit Shots Count
2. Lookout Mountain
3. Sounds Better in the Song
4. Runaway Train
5. A Ghost to Most
6. Heathens
7. First Air of Autumn
8. Pauline Hawkins
9. Natural Light
10. The Company I Keep
11. Women Without Whiskey
12. Goode's Field Road
13. Zip City
14. Used To Be a Cop
15. Made Up English Oceans
16. Righteous Path
17. Where the Devil Don't Stay
18. Hell No, I Ain't Happy

E:

19. Marry Me
20. Do It Yourself
21. Get Downtown
22. Let There Be Rock
23. Shut Up and Get on the Plane
24. Grand Canyon

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Damn Zip, that looks amazing! Were there any tapers?
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LastLawson wrote:Damn Zip, that looks amazing! Were there any tapers?

I don't think I've ever seen a taper at a Columbus show

TDB

DBT in C-bus

Post by TDB »

Highlight's?????
Hanging out with my best friend's.
DBT was the reason to get together :0)

Rev. Todd

danger8504

Post by danger8504 »

Great show, I think this is my 30th time seeing DBT and always nice to have a hometown show. Saying that I really really really hate the Newport.

Highlights for me were Sounds Better In the Song (sounded so trippy) and Goode's Field Road (felt like cooley was on fire).
\m/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sounds like quite a show. Was there a big crowd?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The crowd was not huge, but much more enthusiastic than most Columbus shows I've seen. Very high percentage of women in the crowd, which was a positive change from past shows as well.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

How was Houndmouth?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:How was Houndmouth?

Fucking awesome. Their new material is outstanding. Hopefully their new record will be out early 2015

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

thanks man great to hear!!! love the first record

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:thanks man great to hear!!! love the first record

TDB

Post by TDB »

I for one, LOVE the Newport! Ok, the security guys can be dicks, but the venue itself is like holy ground to me.
I've seen more bands in that one place than any other in America....too long to list.
This may sound like blasphemy but I'd rank it higher than the 9:30 Club or 40 Watt Club on my top ten.

Anyway, I got freebies from WCBE! (caller #5) God bless public radio. Monty got the plus 1 and since Heather had to work it was boys night out!
We ran into Jay and Cooley as we were walking to the Newport. Missed the opener drinking cheap beer next door. Got in just as they finished.
The balcony wasn't open but the floor was close to full (800 or so). Still, I managed to find a perfect open spot in the corner on Cooley's side.
Ran into my best buddy, Bram, who I hadn't seen in months.... Rounded up Monty who was talking with Zip City and away we went.

It was an odd start. As if they all held a freeze-frame pose and counted off mentally. Like they were on Letterman and had to hit the cue or something.
Cooley opened...nice. High energy in the crowd, but I would love to see DBT sell that place out! Having even a half full balcony would make a big difference.
They just don't draw that big here for some reason. (Lack of airplay on the major stations, for one) Still, a half full Newport is like a sold out 40 Watt.

Not many surprises in the set. I'll hold my tongue on that topic. However, the oddest thing about the whole night was going to a DBT show and NOT seeing
the usual suspects filling the front row. Kinda nice, actually. Let some new new people have a chance, would ya :0)

Overall, I would rank DBT show #94 somewhere in the middle. To be honest, at this point in my quest to hear that "ONE" song I just go to get drunk (with other people around me for a change), see some friend's and enjoy a rock show. Whatever they play is beyond my control so just enjoy the ride.
I didn't get anything I haven't heard before, but Company I Keep and GFR were nice last night. The band sounded tight...maybe a little too tight:0)

Like they are no longer punk kids getting drunk and playing loud. These people are professionals. Adults. Parents.
I guess I just miss the two bottles of Jack kinda nights. I miss the three hour marathons. I miss the after-hours hotel parties :0)
I want to go back to 1996 and start over. I want, I want, I want.....

Thankfully, the one I have learned in my 45 years of life is that it really is not all about me. There are other people to consider.
What the fuck am I talking about? Who knows, it's Friday night and Monty and I are going to see the Meat Puppets tonight.
The rock never stops.

Peace,

"Rev" Todd

Clams

Post by Clams »

TDB wrote:Whatever they play is beyond my control so just enjoy the ride.

I'm with ya on that point Rev. I dont get caught up in setlist fever too much. It's just fun to be at the show and hear all the songs.

TDB wrote:I guess I just miss the two bottles of Jack kinda nights. I miss the three hour marathons.

I'm with you there too. I get why that stuff doesnt happen too much anymore and I'm not complaining, but I do kinda miss the out-of-control-ness of it all.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

backroads

Post by backroads »

Zip City wrote:Best setlist of the tour?

1. Shit Shots Count
2. Lookout Mountain
3. Sounds Better in the Song
4. Runaway Train
5. A Ghost to Most
6. Heathens
7. First Air of Autumn
8. Pauline Hawkins
9. Natural Light
10. The Company I Keep
11. Women Without Whiskey
12. Goode's Field Road
13. Zip City
14. Used To Be a Cop
15. Made Up English Oceans
16. Righteous Path
17. Where the Devil Don't Stay
18. Hell No, I Ain't Happy

E:

19. Marry Me
20. Do It Yourself
21. Get Downtown
22. Let There Be Rock
23. Shut Up and Get on the Plane
24. Grand Canyon

That is a pretty damn good one! Wish I could catch a show with Goode's Field Road! One of my favs.

Scousegit

Post by Scousegit »

Just re-registered on here so I could comment on the gig. It was only my second time getting to see the band live, the previous being back in early 2010 in Cleveland and this past Thursday night is easily one of my favourite concerts I've ever been to, period. Great setlist, 2 1/2 hour show (including the encore) and I got Patterson's guitar pick at the end of Grand Canyon. Walked out of the Newport feeling euphoric and had a brief but great conversation on the way to the parking garage with some random guy who was also at the show. Good times. Really enjoyed the heck out of Houndmouth too. I'd never heard of them prior to the show but I've listened to their album a couple of times since then. Great sound and great harmonies.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Made the 3 ish hour drive from the Cleveland area, well worth it. This was my first DBT show in exactly 2 years (Cleveland on 10/24/12). I was a little skeptical that they could still pull it off without Neff but they pulled it off and then some.

I've only seen the Truckers 8 times but this was the tightest I've ever heard them play.

Only (minor) nitpics are as follows:

1. Kind of a status quo setlist, but the band played so well I barely noticed.

2. I know the topic has been beaten into the ground, but "A Ghost to Most" isn't the same without the pedal steel, I hope they eventually bring it back. The song still sounded great though.

3. From where I was standing I couldn't hear Jays keyboards very well. Not sure if it was the mix or just me.

All minor gripes though, great show all around. 2nd best Truckers show I've seen other than my first one.

Immunogoblin

Post by Immunogoblin »

Hey "Rev" Todd,

Just wanted to say Hi and connect! I was the redheaded woman in the Tennessee shirt standing in front of you and in front of Cooley, with the two very tall guys.

Immunogoblin

Post by Immunogoblin »

Also, something very cool and random happened to me at/after the show. I parked my Jeep in one of the nearby OSU garages, and I had one of the oval "DBT" stickers in the back left windshield. When I came back to my car that night, someone randomly gifted me a second identical sticker right next to the first one, perfectly aligned and everything. So if that was any of y'all, thanks! It made my night!