ALBANY, NY 10/19

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

ALBANY, NY 10/19

Post by Beebs »

Finally able to commit for Albany.

Who's in?
Beebs is not a ragey man

uncle rickey

Re: ALBANY, NY 10/19

Post by uncle rickey »

YO

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Mr. and Mrs. Pines will be in the pit.

sully72

Post by sully72 »

Newbie to the board here. I'll be at Albany for my 2nd show.
Been a fan since 2005 but didn't get to see them until this summer (was out of the country for much of that time).

Trivia note - Jay Gonzalez was my rommate senior year of college. Great, great guy.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Welcome, Sully!

See you in Albany. Very cool that you and Jay were roommates, and I agree, he is a really sweet guy.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sully72 wrote:Newbie to the board here. I'll be at Albany for my 2nd show.
Been a fan since 2005 but didn't get to see them until this summer (was out of the country for much of that time).

Trivia note - Jay Gonzalez was my rommate senior year of college. Great, great guy.

I'd say that ranks pretty high on the trivia scale; actually it's probably not even trivia. :) I mean after all I'm sure he owes all his success to you, right? In any case, welcome.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sully72

Post by sully72 »

I'm driving in from Rochester, going to the gig with a buddy from Schenactady. If anyone plans on pre-gaming near the venue let me know, I'd be happy to meet up.

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

See y'all at the Rock Show!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Primer Coat
Heathens
Uncle Frank
Pauline Hawkins
Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Opening Act
Sounds Better in the Song
The Part of Him
Made Up English Oceans
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
When the Pin Hits the Shell
My Sweet Annette
Marry Me
White Knuckle West Virginia
Encore:
Birthday Boy
Bulldozers and Dirt
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

Thanks rickey.

Terrific show all around. Great venue....a little strange to have the place pin-drop quiet unlike club shows but refreshing to hear the music so clearly.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Would like to point out how outrageously good this set list was. The room was a beautiful theater...
...and the crowd was seated and completely silent during the songs (what a nice change!), so the boys took the opportunity to dip liberally into the pretty, acoustic-y portion of the DBT songbook. Some sweet Hood/Cooley harmonizing during Bulldozers and Dirt.

By the end of White Knuckle, CG and I had had about enough of sitting, and we wormed our way down to some friends at the front of the stage where we stood for the encore. Most of the rest of the crowd followed suit and was on its feet the rest of the way, much to Cooley's pleasant surprise. A really nice night all the way around. And with a long drive home followed by early work this morning, I actually didn't mind the 9:30 pm curfew. :D

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Wow, this turned out to be one of the top five Truckers shows I've ever seen. The acoustics in the room were crazy great. You could hear every guitar part, every background vocal perfectly. It is so worth making the drive to The Egg in Albany.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

What a weird but cool venue. The theater was beautiful, and the sound was just perfect. It was well attended, which was so nice to see, I wasn't sure what to expect for a Sunday night show. I can't stand sitting for DBT shows, but it was worth it for the show last night. They really know how to tailor a show to their audience. It was the most mellow show I've seen for a while, but still really well done. Like UR said, it was terrific getting the acoustic-y songs, and those harmonies were crystal clear. I was thrilled to hear The Part of Him, as I absolutely love that song. Sadly, it was the 1 song of the night that was just off. It seemed like Cooley was ahead of Patterson or vice versa, and the lyrics were a bit jumbled up. It was fine though and everything got back on target quickly.

This was our 159th show and the first time we have ever seen White Knuckle West Virginia with the entire band. (We've seen it in side projects but never at the full band rock show). What a treat! It was just so much fun. I love what they're doing with it. Just so good, words are failing me.

During the encore when we wormed our way up front, once they got back on stage to start, Cooley said "So they finally let you stand up. Bless your tired and numb asses." That definitely got a chuckle out of the crowd.

There was a strict rule at this venue, since it is more of a theater, that you could not bring anything to eat or drink inside the room. Not even water. I think that contributed to the politeness of the audience, and it really made a difference. Not that I would want that at every show, but it was great for last night. There was a no recording policy, and I wasn't sure about taking pictures either, so I didn't risk it.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Whispering Pines

Caught shows in NYC and Albany this weekend, and have come to think of the very different shows as my "Beacon 'n' Eggs" tour. I'm going to contrast the two shows in a blog post later this week, but wanted to make a few immediate comments about the Albany concert. As previously noted, this was an atypical Truckers show, with a seated, attentive audience, and frankly, it was kind of refreshing to see the band in this context. On one hand, the band seemed slightly unnerved to not have the hardcore hubbub at the lip of the stage, but as the set got rolling, you could see the players pleased by the glorious sound that filled the hall. Quite simply, the sound was about the best I've ever heard at a Truckers show, with intertwining vocal harmonies and guitar rhythms clear as bells, and Jay spending quality time behind his keyboards. At the start of "Made Up English Oceans," Patterson fiddled with his Fender amp to achieve just the right sheen on his electric rhythm, and as he strummed the Gibson, the intimate sound made me feel like we were watching them rehearse in the living room. And while I appreciated hearing relatively rare performances of songs like "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife," I did feel that Patterson erred by not striking with a few more of his rockers. Fanatics might have been tickled by "White Knuckle West Virginia," but this fanatic found it way too rambling and undercooked a vehicle to end a set in a market the band (as far as I know) has never played. The audience might have been relatively laid back, but that doesn't mean they didn't deserve something like a trip up "Lookout Mountain."

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

A few more comments:

Yesterday afternoon may have been the most surreal experience I had at a Drive By Truckers show. The Egg is located in the middle of the "campus" (about the best word I can come up) that constitutes the state capitol of New York. These are the new buildings built by Rockefeller during the late sixties/early seventies. There is a bunker like quality about the whole place and I imagine that there is some secret place where the state government of New York could still function in the event of a nuclear disaster. On a Sunday afternoon the entire plaza was open to the public but practically deserted. I wandered the empty corridors alone enjoying the exhibit of modern art -- paintings, sculptures and murals -- that I was later told is the largest collection on display in a public building. I felt like a kid who had snuck into a building after it was closed.

The venue itself is officially called The Kitty Carlisle Hart Theater, named after the woman who made a career out of being a guest on game shows. It is a stunning room.

The audience was predominantly local people. Many were subscribers and donors who catch most of the shows held at that theater during its season. They were older than the typical Truckers crowd and most seemed unfamiliar with the band's songs.

The show itself was broadcast quality. The band was as tight as I'd ever heard them. Austin City Limits tight. The sound was perfect. You could not only hear the background vocals perfectly but you could make out the phrasing. You could close your eyes and still distinguish one guitar part from the other. The end of "Grand Canyon" was the best I've ever heard them play it.

This is a perfect facility for a live album or broadcast.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Hud

Post by Hud »

Dang, wish there was a recording of this show!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Whispering Pines

I agree with everything Rev. Matt said regarding the Truckers' show, but feel compelled to add that Kitty Carlisle Hart, while best known as a quiz show personality, also had a long career on stage and in the movies. She even briefly sang with the Metropolitan Opera. More pertinent to the name of the theater is the fact that she was known as a tireless supporter of the arts, and spent two decades on the NY State Arts Council.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Anybody see Beebs?
Always go to the show

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

There's not too much I can add that hasn't already been said. Easily the best sounding Truckers show I have been to, and one of the best sounding shows I've attended by anyone, period. The set list developed perfectly in response to what the crowd was, and wasn't, giving. This had a really different vibe from the Beacon and, sentimentality aside (they were clearly thrilled to be at the Beacon), it is the show I will remember for much longer.

Memorable Cooley moment: the raunchy, but subtly delivered, observation that the lighted aisles at The Egg resembled "a target". If you turned around from down near the front you know exactly what he meant. "Maybe it's just my dirty mind, but..."

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Jonicont wrote:Anybody see Beebs?

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hey to anyone. We got to the theater just in time for the show and I was a little self conscious about the amount of bourbon consumed in row J so didn't go out of my way to say hi afterwards.

So, while I think that was my twelfth show, this was only my second time seeing the current lineup. I'm just blown away at what a tight, rock and roll machine they've become. Bad Ass. Patton and EZB have grown into a devastating rhythm section. Jay just seems so tuned into how to fill out the sound so perfectly. I missed Neff for a few seconds during his solo in Sweet Annette, otherwise it seems like this band has finally found the perfect formula.

Brought some family from Alaska who have been fans for years now but have yet to get a show in the great white north. They had no idea just how good these guys are live and kept looking over at me with this wide eyed I had no idea expression. Pretty sure my brother in law left with a Stroker Ace man crush.

Ridiculous set list. Theater seating gave me the perfect view to watch EZB, Matt and Jay exchange glances and do their thing… Just a great night all around.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

I'm so bummed that I didn't bring my taping gear...just assumed someone would tape.

I have been told no taping at many venues but that has never stopped me from stealthing. The restriction will likely keep it from getting posted but one of the tapers who were shunned likely stealthed it. If it does circulate at some point, will one of you kind folks PM me please?

It truly was a sonic dream~

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

What Dose said!