DBT track # 154 - Made Up English Oceans

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT track # 154 - Made Up English Oceans

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Re: DBT track # 154 - Made Up English Oceans

Post by beantownbubba »

I think we need Rod Stewart to guest post here. Anyone know him?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^^The stories that you tell me are so hard to swallow.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

To this day I still don't get what the hell that Rod Stewart story has to do with the song (I understand the lyric refers to the story, but I don't see why it's there to begin with).

Then again, I can't get past the first line without getting confused, so....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:To this day I still don't get what the hell that Rod Stewart story has to do with the song (I understand the lyric refers to the story, but I don't see why it's there to begin with).

There's an interview with Cooley and Patterson on some news site where they explain. I'm sure it's posted in a thread somewhere here but it'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Even then, Cooley probably doesn't elaborate on it a whole lot.

*Edited To Add

This isn't the interview I was thinking of but maybe it'll help explain it.

Video Premiere: The Drive-By Truckers, "Made Up English Oceans"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:To this day I still don't get what the hell that Rod Stewart story has to do with the song (I understand the lyric refers to the story, but I don't see why it's there to begin with).

Then again, I can't get past the first line without getting confused, so....

It's about the power of story and about how something repeated often enough becomes fact to some people. I think it's a brilliantly arcane reference that fits perfectly with the rest of the song. how many times back in the day did people bring up the Rod Stewart thing as if it were absolute fact despite the details getting crazier and crazier? They'll live it like it's Gospel and they'll quote it like it's scripture . The song is about gullibility and how easy the narrator finds it to manipulate people. This song is my favorite Cooley song in years. Just brilliant.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Definetly one of Cooley's finest achievements in years, but imo that can be said for most of his contributions to this album. I have a hard time deciding which is my favourite Cooley tune on this one. I really like First Air of Autumn and Natural Light as well. Perhaps common for these three in terms of sonic "texture" and "mode" (in lack of better words) they kind venture out in new and unexpected territory.

One thing I remember when they played it live at the HC this year (can't remember if they did it both of the nights I was present or only one), they kind of extended the final part of the song with Cooley switching from accoustic to electric guitar towards the end. I really liked that as it gave the song a haunting quality, sort of. When I catched them againg on the UK tour they finished it more or less like the album version with Cooley on the accoustic throughout the song.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:It's about the power of story and about how something repeated often enough becomes fact to some people. I think it's a brilliantly arcane reference that fits perfectly with the rest of the song. how many times back in the day did people bring up the Rod Stewart thing as if it were absolute fact despite the details getting crazier and crazier? They'll live it like it's Gospel and they'll quote it like it's scripture . The song is about gullibility and how easy the narrator finds it to manipulate people. This song is my favorite Cooley song in years. Just brilliant.

well done, makes total sense, TC. That gospel/scripture line is probably the most memorable lyric on the entire record.

RolanK wrote:One thing I remember when they played it live at the HC this year (can't remember if they did it both of the nights I was present or only one), they kind of extended the final part of the song with Cooley switching from accoustic to electric guitar towards the end. I really liked that as it gave the song a haunting quality, sort of. When I catched them againg on the UK tour they finished it more or less like the album version with Cooley on the accoustic throughout the song.

YES!
Who am I to question what Cooley does, but IMHO those versions where he switched guitars were much stronger. Check it here, it's track # 10, the electric comes in around 3:45.
http://southernshelter.com/2014/02/driv ... 014-02-13/

Zip City wrote:Then again, I can't get past the first line without getting confused, so....

I recall someone (who is obviously smarter than me) posting that the 6x9 lyric in the opening line is in reference to a jail cell

Now does anyone care to tackle that video???
Last edited by Clams on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I can't think of anything good to say about the video.

Love the song, one of the best on the album- and live I'm always impressed that Cooley can spit out all the words properly. It's like one giant tounge twister! Love this line:

like gunless sheriffs caught on lonesome roads and live to tell it
How hard it is for meaner men without the lead to sell it

My favorite version I've heard live was from the Greek Theater- I didn't see a recording on the archive but Willie's harmonica player sits in, they really opened up the intro. It had a great ambient type groove to it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gaetzi wrote:I can't think of anything good to say about the video.

The director likes the visual similarity between the bedpost and the stair post and does some nice framing to show it off.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

as a relative DBT noobie, this might have been "the song" that hooked me... clams had pushed a lot of music my way, and I recall trying to decipher SRO during several long car rides... for some reason, it never worked, but when I heard about their new album EO, and heard this song, everything clicked... having grown up in the era of the Rod Stewart rumors, Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" analyses, and the sort, combined with the discussion in the EO Album Thread, this all just "worked".

glad to say that I now "get" SRO, and have been deep into the entire back catalog... however, in contrast to many old-timers on the tdd, this was my "gateway song"

all that said, hadn't seen the video before, and admit to being a little freaked out by Cooley's stare-down at the 2:33 mark
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I dig the hopped up western ballad, like Marty Robbins on meth.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

LBRod wrote:I dig the hopped up western ballad, like Marty Robbins on meth.

Agree. It has reminded me of the theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from the get go. And any song with claves in it is OK in my book.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Markalanbishop wrote:

Agree. It has reminded me of the theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from the get go. And any song with claves in it is OK in my book.

It's always reminded me if Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Clams wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:

It's always reminded me if Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Definitely that too.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is one where I love the lyrics, and am just "ok" with the music. It's fine, but not my favorite track from a sonic perspective.

I did really like it as an opener on the Spring tour, the hopped version is preferable to me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I think the music is every bit as good as the lyrics.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I am with Iowan on this one. The lyrics are first rate, but the music has always sounded almost rushed to me. I have grown to accept the song musically, but I don't get excited about it at all. I guess this song should be filed under the "Why we love what we love" category.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If you play guitar try to play this one. It might give you a new appreciation of the music.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:If you play guitar try to play this one. It might give you a new appreciation of the music.

And/or a tennis elbow.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I had been delaying saying this, but I guess i"m ready for the chastising to begin...

I generally prefer Cooley songs to Hood songs, but this one really doesn't do it for me. I appreciate the guitar playing, and do believe it showcases Cooley's talent, but on a sonic level, I just don't get it.

I had wondered if there had ever been thought of naming the album "Grand Canyon"?

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I really like this song, the lyrics especially, both incredibly vivid and detailed.

Cooley references the KKK/Jimmy Carter incident on "It's Great to Be Alive", and I found the Washington Post article on it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 4d83428bfa.

Also, this photo from that day: Image
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse