English Oceans Deluxe, DVD coming in November

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

English Oceans Deluxe, DVD coming in November

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Re: English Oceans Deluxe, DVD coming in November

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2014/09/video-premiere-drive-by-truckers---black-ice-verit.html

Oh, dear god. French words with accent marks in the titles. Clearly they've sold out. ;)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We already have a "Live at the 40 Watt" DVD, was hoping for a bigger venue. Oh well, it's going to fucking rule anyways

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:We already have a "Live at the 40 Watt" DVD, was hoping for a bigger venue. Oh well, it's going to fucking rule anyways

It was a really awesome evening. Glad to have it preserved for posterity.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

This should be interesting. It might feel a bit weird because they weren't doing in crowd shots. This is from the show the day before Night 1. It's veracity as a live show is somewhat debateable, I'm sure that's a record company thing. They played for almost 3 hours...some songs they nailed on the first take, others took 3-4. Be interesting to see what they include. Some of the trainwrecks were fairly amusing.

Here's SSC from that show:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzTPQPwDM_A&list=UUlKOjhNTuBD4m8egDS1wipg[/youtube]

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Well, that's just fucking weird. "Black Ice Verite was shot in front of a live studio audience"

Was this one of those "only the cool kids were invited" type events?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:Well, that's just fucking weird. "Black Ice Verite was shot in front of a live studio audience"

No. If I'm not mistaken I believe they even invited some of the people habitating this board.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Zip City wrote:Well, that's just fucking weird. "Black Ice Verite was shot in front of a live studio audience"

Sort of. Some knew in advance, some like me heard at the last minute. There were maybe 100 people there total, if that. We were set up fairly far back from the stage (15-20ft maybe?) behind a rail, to make room for the camera platforms, etc.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm a little underwhelmed. I was hoping for a live DVD/CD release from the current tour. The whole English Oceans Live thing is kind of neat but I'd prefer an actual live album. Besides I'm probably still a little pissed as we were supposed to be in Athens Wednesday afternoon but ended up snowed in at a hotel in Charlotte, NC until Friday morning lol.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I sort of suspect this is basically bonus content for the deluxe issue of EO, rather than a stand-alone release. When they shot it they didn't really know what they were going to use the footage for.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

So, I'm guessing this is the live album that was alluded to in this thread back in July.

Drive-By Truckers Announce New Fall Tour Dates + Film

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tyler wrote:I sort of suspect this is basically bonus content for the deluxe issue of EO, rather than a stand-alone release. When they shot it they didn't really know what they were going to use the footage for.

if that's how it's marketed, then that makes more sense. As a stand-alone concert film, it would seem awfully contrived

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Bought my vinyl & dvd on the DBT website. But damn, no instant gratification-- gotta wait for the delivery.

Always worth the wait.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Glad they went the fair way out and are essentially resisting the urge to double/triple dip.

2xCD+DVD (Original EO album + bonus tracks CD) $16.89
1xLP+DVD (Bonus tracks only) $21.95

Seems good value all around. The deluxe CD is basically priced around what a normal single disc goes for, maybe a buck or two more, ditto the vinyl.

Since I already own two copies of EO on wax (one normal for listening, the other the ltd ed), I'm glad it's not a 2xLP+DVD for $40 kinda deal.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tyler wrote:Glad they went the fair way out and are essentially resisting the urge to double/triple dip.

No doubt, completely fair. I also have the regular issue vinyl and the blue bootleg vinyl, so it'll be nice to get the LP & DVD with just the bonus stuff.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I don't see why it costs $7.58 - PLUS TAX - to send an LP + DVD combo. Why no Media Mail option? We all know it won't arrive on the release date anyway.

Despite this, I'm very psyched, ordered immediately, etc etc

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tyler wrote:

Sort of. Some knew in advance, some like me heard at the last minute. There were maybe 100 people there total, if that. We were set up fairly far back from the stage (15-20ft maybe?) behind a rail, to make room for the camera platforms, etc.

And some of us stumbled into it heading for a beer at Flickr. 8-)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'll probably buy it, but maybe I won't. And if i do buy it it will likely be more out of some completist urge than for any great desire to have and hear this album or watch the dvd (i'm not much on dvd's anyway). And for that reason among others I too appreciate the band's very fair approach to pricing.

Like many here, I continue to believe that the current version of the band would be very well served by a live album/concert film. This is not that. I'm not really sure what it is. I hope this release will not push back the band's plans for its next albums (about which i know nothing and it may not even be a gleam in Patterson's eye yet) or put the kibosh on a "real" live album (suit talk: "we can't do that, we just released that other thing in November").
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'm assuming this will hit normal retail channels as well. I really don't want to pay $8 shipping either.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Three words. All...Over...It. The release date is November 18th.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

gepman

Post by gepman »

Got the CD/DVD / Beer Can Glass Combo.
Total shipping was $9.82
Good chance to get the glass and not get "totally screwed" on the shipping...

gepman

Post by gepman »

I am in agreement with a lot of folks here, this isn't what I was expecting when they mentioned a Live DVD a few months ago.
I don't mind the fact that it is at the 40 Watt (where the first DVD was recorded), but it isn't a true representation of a love DBT show (which is what I was hoping it would be). I'd have rather they'd of recorded a few of the 3 hour shows from this past Spring (Richmond, 930 Club, First Avenue, just to name a few) and pulled tracks from these shows.
Also, while I dig the EO material, its sorta been "beaten into my head" at this point... Going to have to go back to some of the Pre-EO live shows that I've downloaded and haven't gotten around to listening to yet.
It is a really cool memento for the few folks that were at this show to have though.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

gepman wrote:I'd have rather they'd of recorded a few of the 3 hour shows from this past Spring (Richmond, 930 Club, First Avenue, just to name a few) and pulled tracks from these shows.

I would pay almost anything to be able to re-live that last night at the 1st Ave again...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

artood2

Post by artood2 »

um someone tell Patterson et all about Blu- Ray please.

dvd is so 1990's

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Got the "vinyl/dvd/glass/hoodie combo". $25 bucks shipping to Canada. :D
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

artood2 wrote:um someone tell Patterson et all about Blu- Ray please.

dvd is so 1990's

Mr. Hood & co have a lot of factors to consider. I believe the cost of producing a Blu Ray is more than twice that of a standard DVD and if I'm not mistaken, standard DVD also outsells Blu Ray by a considerable margin. It's been awhile since I've actually looked at the numbers, but that used to be the case and I imagine that's why most smaller scale releases are usually your standard dual layer DVDs opposed to Blu Ray.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

the day before my birthday. cant fuckin wait!!!

Crustyharp

English Oceans Deluxe/Black Ice Verite DVD review

Post by Crustyharp »

Don't know where this should be (feel free to moderate as needed), but here's the view from here:

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2014/12/02/drive-by-truckers-english-oceans-deluxe-black-ice-verite

And then comes the clincher – the moment when nothing else matters except the heart. As Morgan takes the song out with a powerful drum passage, Hood leans his hollowbody Baxendale against his amp, letting it howl mournfully … a sound that’s being produced by strings, tubes, and speakers but comes from a place that’s as human as it gets.

The credits roll; we see a photo of Craig Lieske; a shot of Wes Freed’s great cover painting; and then the camera zeroes in on Hood’s guitar and amp … still crying. There’s a shadow of a figure off-camera. And then an unseen hand tosses a single rose to the floor alongside the mourning guitar.

This band has heart.
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I swear to God Crusty's review of the DVD is better than the DVD.

That's right. I went there. Nice job dude.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life