SOTW # 151 - Natural Light

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

SOTW # 151 - Natural Light

Post by Clams »

I could be way off, but my take on this song is that it's Cooley's Back of a Bible, his love song to Mrs Cooley from the road. I don't know if Cooley and Patterson et al use Facetime or skype or one of those apps while on the road, but when I hear this song I picture Cooley in some dark hotel room with the glow coming off his computer screen while they talk, wondering if he still knows who she is and longing for her "natural light" (as opposed to the computer's light) to guide him home. Stuck between glass (the screen), stuck with yourself while waiting for the computer to reload, etc. A very Stonesy song with a simply but strong beat - I think EZB shines on this one.

Interesting that the "alternative first take" released on the Dragon Pants EP sounds really close to the final EO version (albeit the music is slightly more ragged and the vocals a bit more raw). I'd guess that there weren't too many takes between the two versions.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: SOTW # 151 - Natural Light

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Speaking to Cooley being computer savvy, per the question from Kevin Cole during this KEXP performance and interview from back in April, Cooley don't Tweet. On that topic, Patterson replies, "If I got a Tweet from Cooley I'd probably have to go to the hospital". That portion of the interview begins at the 14:13 mark. And yes, I realize you weren't referring specifically to Tweeting but I've always gathered that Cooley has never been much of a computer person.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Cooley did start using Garage Band or a similar program to demo his songs in the past couple of years. I interpreted the "Trying To Be The Boss on a Beaver Brown Budget" song as his message to the obsessive fans during the RNC controversy two summers ago. It wouldn't surprise me if he browses the fan sites every once in a while. But tweeting? He's too cool for that.

I love how loose the band is on this song. For me it is one of the many highlights from EO. It reminds me of Charlie Rich with his road band at some small honky tonk bar at last call.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I like this song a lot, especially after I got the squeal-free version ;)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RevMatt wrote:Cooley did start using Garage Band or a similar program to demo his songs in the past couple of years. I interpreted the "Trying To Be The Boss on a Beaver Brown Budget" song as his message to the obsessive fans during the RNC controversy two summers ago. It wouldn't surprise me if he browses the fan sites every once in a while. But tweeting? He's too cool for that.

To clarify, I meant using the web to communicate with others.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Clams wrote:I could be way off, but my take on this song is that it's Cooley's Back of a Bible, his love song to Mrs Cooley from the road. I don't know if Cooley and Patterson et al use Facetime or skype or one of those apps while on the road, but when I hear this song I picture Cooley in some dark hotel room with the glow coming off his computer screen while they talk, wondering if he still knows who she is and longing for her "natural light" (as opposed to the computer's light) to guide him home. Stuck between glass (the screen), stuck with yourself while waiting for the computer to reload, etc. A very Stonesy song with a simply but strong beat - I think EZB shines on this one.

Interesting that the "alternative first take" released on the Dragon Pants EP sounds really close to the final EO version (albeit the music is slightly more ragged and the vocals a bit more raw). I'd guess that there weren't too many takes between the two versions.

I agree about it as the love song from the road bit, but didn't interpret that one part as waiting for the computer to reload. So maybe this is too literal, but I've always taken it as his commentary on the DBT band ruptures.

Once in a while there’s a spectacle
A big deal to some, but too long for most
to be stuck between blasts while the colors fall
stuck with yourself while it reloads

Whether it's Jason, Shonna or Neff leaving, every once in a while there's a spectacle. Some of us think it's a big deal, but carry on too long about it for most. The band goes down for a bit, and they each have to deal with it on their own until they find the next new groove, riding out the days between the shows.

Sometimes it’s as cold as a loveless embrace
or hot like a low seething rage
It ends where it ends, when it does it begins
It cries when it wants, it wants when it needs and it bleeds

More commentary on the same. The road's a bitch when it's not going well. Andat some point, there's no helping it, after the crying, wanting, needing and bleeding - it just comes to an end wherever it does - not much you can do about it - but when it ends with one configuration, it begins all over again with another.

All the while, he's missing his wife and waits to get back home. When the days count down to getting home once again, he's ready to light her up again.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I've always interpreted as put down your fucking phone and pay attention to me, to what really matters.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba