Gillioz Theater, Springfield, MO, Sunday, 10/25

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Gillioz Theater, Springfield, MO, Sunday, 10/25

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm certainly going to this. Who else? Does anyone know Springfield anymore? I used to, but it's been years. Looks like a nice place, except for being seated.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mr. Bartlett

Re: Gillioz Theater, Springfield, MO, Sunday, 10/25

Post by Mr. Bartlett »

I have not been there, but the venue is very ornate and old looking. I talked to a gal in the box office who said rows of seating would be removed for the show to create a GA/floor type option in front of the stage. I hope that is the case!

Arkansawyer, my mom is from Batesville, and I used to go down to Juanita's in Little Rock. I will be with my wife Haley at the show. Have a blast!

PS- I had heard there was no alcohol at the theatre, but the box office lady said that has been changed!!! Should be a blast!

John A Arkansawyer

Mr. Bartlett, come on down to Little Rock again soon! We have some interesting things going on here. I'm looking forward to seeing you folks, one way or another.

In crappier news, I got asked to do a ten am thing at church here in Little Rock the next morning. I'm now thinking about driving home from Springfield that night, or at least part way. It's an hour and a half to Harrison, another half an hour to where my mom is in the home, then about two and a half hours from there to church. (Going by where my mom is at puts an extra half hour and a lot of curves on the drive.) I'm planning on seeing her on the way up--she seems most clear-minded in the early afternoons--but stopping there going each way wouldn't kill me. Anyway, if someone else from here is going and wants a quick return, let's talk.

(And since that won't work out--who in their right mind drives back right after a show?--let's all hope they find someone to trade out for me that morning and give me any date I can make without going crazy.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

wineisgood

Post by wineisgood »

I'm super-stoked about this performance and venue. I went to college in Springfield and in those days the Gillioz was an abandoned dump of a place. It has been painstakingly renovated and now hosts the best live music in town. I live nearby and this will be by far the shortest drive I've ever made for a Rock Show. There is alcohol on premise and a several decent bars and grub nearby. Looking forward to seeing some heathens there!

Amatsfan

Post by Amatsfan »

Wife and I returning to our college town for this show. Hope there is a good turnout. The show is on saturday?

John A Arkansawyer

Amatsfan wrote:Wife and I returning to our college town for this show. Hope there is a good turnout. The show is on saturday?

Yes it is! I'm about to leave the house. I will see you all (for sufficiently small values of 'all') at the ROCK SHOW!

John A Arkansawyer

As he was right there, I'm pretty sure Patterson will back me up about both the fight and the miracle. A full account will follow. It'll be more like a Hold Steady song than a show report. Here's the set list:

Made Up English Oceans (with a fantastic lead by Patterson)
Righteous Path (dedicated to Lou Whitney. I couldn't understand why people were yelling "Boo! Boo!" Then I realized it was "Lou! Lou!")
Daddy Played Poker
Daddy Learned to Fly
Shit Shots Count
The Southern Thing
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Ray's Automatic Weapon (Cooley's chords behind Patterson's singing were magnificent. The fight goes here)
Primer Coat
Pauline Hawkins
First Air of Autumn
Tales Facing Up (a first for me--it's good live!)
A Ghost To Most
Goode's Field Road (Mister Cooley had something to say here! By the end, the band had locked into a sparse groove with the machine-like tightness of Hell No and the spacey ominousness of Brad and Matt at the end of Angels and Fuselage. This was the musical high point of the night)
Whiskey Without Women
Let There Be Rock
Zip City (Cooley's playing was exceptional again. The miracle goes here)
Hell No, I'm Not Happy (this never fails to amaze me. This is where Patterson's pick went down the redhead's cleavage and Brad came to the front to give the blonde his sticks. Wouldn't you be amazed by that?)

Encore: This part of the show was for lovers. I don't think I could've asked for a more romantic set, especially given the circumstances. I'll go into all that later.

Sounds Better in the Song
18 Wheels of Love
Marry Me
Play It All Night Long

Many of the same characters will be in attendance Tuesday at George's. It's possible I'll have more to report.

John A Arkansawyer

I got to Springfield much later than I'd planned and didn't have a chance to meet up with anyone before the show. I dropped by the theater to buy my ticket and asked if there was someplace nearby for light food and wifi. I had a stroke of luck in that Nonna's was unexpectedly right on the way to where they'd directed me, so I got to refresh my memory of their food. One memory wasn't fulfilled--they used chopped garlic rather than roasted in their olive oil, which was tasty on the bread but not the magnificent tasty I remember. It was still very good food.

Once I got back to the theater, a small crowd had gathered. There wasn't a line per se, so I just walked in and stood around and started talking to a woman in a wheelchair and her boyfriend. Having been to DBT shows with people in chairs and seen the varied circumstances they face, I'm always curious about their experiences. No, the woman told me, this was a great venue for accessibility, she'd been to many shows here and there were never any problems. Her name is Lori Locke. She's also a local musician who plays the Springfield-Branson-Eureka Springs area. We hung out off and on the rest of the night. She broke her spine a decade ago and has been slowly recovering ever since.

And sure enough, a couple of minutes before the doors officially opened, someone came out and took them in first. The rest of us went in shortly thereafter, and I strolled up to her right side, at the very front of the stage. This was to be my spot, more or less, throughout the show. A couple of big guys in DBT shirts came over to my right to stand in Cooleyville. I wanted to duck out to do a couple of things, most importantly, nab a pair of earplugs for the little old lady (I know it's a stereotype, but she was a little old lady) in the very front row, I assume a patron of the arts, who I wanted to enjoy the show without discomfort, so Lori said she'd hold my spot for me.

The way the Gillioz is set up is that it's a small, intimate theater, with a balcony and a ground floor with both fixed seating and an area in front of the stage. It's just a beautiful little theater which surprisingly gave some sound problems throughout the evening. I ducked out and eventually back in and gave the lady her earplugs, then went back to my area. There was a third big guy standing in my spot, and one of these guys said, "Did you think about losing your place?" "Nope," I said cheerfully, "not one bit," eventually getting back to where I was as they moved around during Houndmouth. This wasn't my first time seeing Houndmouth but it was the time I liked them best. I'll listen to that CD soon.

When the stage was almost ready for DBT to come out, a nice-looking woman showed up at my left and said "Scrunch over". She was one of Lori's friends--Lori has a lot of friends--and so I did and she scooted up next to me. It turned out she wanted to be my show buddy for the night. "I just need a handle," she said. So she danced in place next to me, rocking out and bumping up against me, and once mentioning she wasn't coming on to me, which I accepted immediately. Every now and then she'd put her arm around me or snuggle up or kiss me--mostly on the cheek but once on the lips--or talk about how great the show was. I liked her a lot and was a little sorry she wasn't coming on to me.

The band was playing really well, despite some sound problems. Patterson played a wicked lead on Made Up English Oceans to start the evening. I'm still enjoying getting to hear him play more leads. Nothing against Neff, who is a gunslinger, but I enjoy hearing Patterson's playing on these songs. The Southern Thing was unexpected and welcome, as was When the Pin Hits the Shell. That song cuts deep in a lot of different directions. Not often, but some days I think it's Cooley's best. There are things about it which after a whole lot of pondering are still enigmatic to me, and still meaningful despite that. And it made perfect sense to follow that song with Ray's Automatic Weapon.

I really love that song, and I have fond memories of hearing it the first time, at Minglewood in Memphis, right up front next to Lurleen, to whom I said, "This is a new song!" I'd never heard a DBT song before it'd come out before. I'll have fond memories of this time it was performed, too, in part because I didn't die, but more so because the chords Cooley was playing behind Patterson's vocals were so exquisite. In little moments like that, you can tell they've played together a long time. There so much sympathy between them at those moments.

About a song earlier, my show buddy had a friend show up, a girl who looked like trouble. She had all her hair under a hat and was very hyper, dancing in the flailing manner. I was asked to scrunch over some more but decided to just step back from the rail and let the two of them rave on for a bit. The trouble girl eventually danced away to my right and I got back on the rail when i became aware something was odd in the pattern of people moving around me. Then I heard, "That was my tit you just elbowed!" I looked to my right and the slightly older lady whose perfectly nice tit had apparently been elbowed by trouble girl, who was--what else?--getting in her face about it. The slightly younger lady with that lady took her side of the argument, blood being thicker than alcohol, and my show buddy took her friend's side. There was a genuine girl swirl of impending violence among the various ladies, right up front and center, as they got louder. I think someone might've been pushed. I was got between the two groups, facing my show buddy and her friend the tit elbower--it's not cooties you get from girls. When they kiss you, they give you something worse: responsibilities--and told them, without saying, "You're in the wrong and now cool down", "You're in the wrong and now cool down."

It was enough of a commotion that Patterson took notice and stood at the edge of the stage. He looked at us and I looked at him and I gave him this "my god this is ridiculous but I don't think it's dangerous" look. He stood there over us all and played the riff he was playing, over and over again, until the women chilled out. I don't know exactly what he did or how he did it, but I had the definite impression he'd worked some sort of stagecraft. Maybe it's just the "don't make me do anything about this" look he gave them, or maybe it was in the way he repeated the riff, but either way, i bet he's a great dad. Anyway, the lady's tit wasn't permanently elbow-dimpled, so the fight never happened. But it was close.

After all that tension, the show was just a continual upper for me. By the time Cooley hit the opening chords of Zip City, I was already a very happy puppy. But I thought I was still in touch with reality, but then I looked over and saw Lori, standing one person over from me. Standing? Then I looked and realized my show buddy was supporting her on one side and someone else from the other, and remembered Lori telling me she'd just this year started using a walker. "The doctors told me I'd never shrug my shoulders again, either," she shrugged. She could only manage the one song, but there she was, standing and smiling and rocking out to Zip City.

That is the sort of miracle I believe in. After a crappy turn of luck and a broken spine, struggling to make oneself whole again. Not good as new--that's a fairy tale, mostly--but whole and capable. And not just that admirable individual making the effort, but all the friends who helped. "I was having a dozen seizures a day," she'd told me, "but he always hung in there for me," she'd said about her boyfriend. Then there are the nurses and the doctors and the therapists and the machine makers and all that, and the friends who help you stand for Zip City. And the artists that make and execute the vision that grips you so hard you have to get up and shake to it, even out of your wheelchair.

So, yeah, I saw the lame rise up and walk. Just another night at the rock show.

The set ended with Hell No, I'm Not Happy, which really is a great set closer. Patterson threw his pick into the audience, over to my left. Hands went up and a redheaded woman looked like she'd caught it. Then her hand was empty. Then she reached into the right of her blouse and triumphantly pulled the pick out of her cleavage. Brad came to the front of the stage and handed his sticks down, obviously (I thought) for Lori. There was some confusion on that point, but she ended up with one and the guy who ended up with other I saw talking to her and making sure it was okay. I've seen him throw them out before, but I don't think I've ever seen him walk up to stage front and do that.

I talked with my show buddy during the encore break about how good the show had been so far, and then the band returned to open with Sounds Better in the Song. She took my hand and cuddled up to me, and I put my arm around her. It was a weirdly intimate moment with someone I barely knew. Weird, yes, but also authentic. It was followed by 18 Wheels of Love and Marry Me, which I thought was a nice little thematic three-fer, and then went into Play It All Night Long, containing what was for me another first: I've never heard Patterson change that line like he did to "There ain't much to Springfield living". Or maybe I've never noticed it before.

At the end of Play It All Night Long, they throw in Ain't That Pretty At All, Patterson had us sing along on "I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all," and my mind went back over to Lori, still getting off on the show and so happy. She'd told me that part of her becoming more physically able was taking out the pain pump, which kept her out of pain but unable to think. "I'm in pain a lot of the time," she'd said, "but I've got my mind back." It hit me right then she'd faced and made that choice, that she was willing to feel bad so she could feel anything--which is everything--at all. We all say we'd do that, but how many of us are that strong?

And that takes us back to the start of the show, and those who "find out feeling good’s as easy as denying that there’s day or night at all, til what it takes to feel a thing seems so far out of reach they just claw their skin and grind their teeth and bawl." I didn't see any clawing, bawling, or grinding teeth that night.

So that was the show. My show buddy's boyfriend (you didn't see that coming? Even I had a notion) picked her up and they left. I bought the Houndmouth CD and took the opportunity standing in line to apologetically ask the lady with the elbowed tit if she was okay, which she was. I chatted with the redhead, who helped me with directions so I could join Lori and her friends in a nearby bar to hear a Grateful Dead tribute band. I'm sure you know that sounds like a brief stay in hell to me, so I went and suffered through genuinely enjoying the band, Mr. Charlie, who got at some of the complex weirdness the Dead could hit on a good day when they played China Cat Sunflower.

When it was over, I was leaving, telling Lori and her boyfriend I'd see them in Fayetteville at the show on Tuesday, when I got to thank the redhead for giving me directions. She's not coming to the show Tuesday. Aside from that, I had the greatest time.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice one JohnA!! You set a pretty high bar w/ your "coming attractions post" but you sailed over it easily.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

That was worth waiting for.
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Flea wrote:That was worth waiting for.

Yes.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

The blonde, with my show buddy nicely filling out the Detroit Cobras shirt in the background:

Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If that doesn't put a smile on your face you're playing the grinch in this year's Xmas play.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

After having images in my head from the great descriptions from JohnA's post that is a very nice follow-up. Do you think my wife would mind if I take on a "show buddy" and a "blonde" in Charlotte? :)
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

John A Arkansawyer

Daddy_played_poker wrote:After having images in my head from the great descriptions from JohnA's post that is a very nice follow-up. Do you think my wife would mind if I take on a "show buddy" and a "blonde" in Charlotte? :)

I don't see why not. They were both there with their boyfriends and were perfect ladies (except for my show buddy's one outbreak of Rowdy Bitch Syndrome, which I guess is the only social disease I'm in favor of, in moderation). You know, I wish I hadn't thought of it like that. Some of the thrill just leaked out of my balloon.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Crazy eyes. That's pure poison.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Flea wrote:Crazy eyes. That's pure poison.

It's been ten years and not ninety, but survival in all forms can look pretty scary.

John A Arkansawyer

This showed back up on my Facebook feed and it cheered me up to re-read and this is kind of a shitty time in the world right now and so I'm bumping it here in the hopes it might cheer one or two of you up too.