DBTs at Todos Santos in January 2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

DBTs at Todos Santos in January 2015

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The rumors are true. DBT will be one of many of Peter Buck's guests at Todos Santos next year. Complete details here. Now, who wants to contribute to my Kickstarter campaign so I can afford to go? ;)

Date January 15-17; January 21-24, 2015
Organizer Hotel California and friends
Details Confirmed bands and musicians include Joseph Arthur, Kevn Kinney, Chuck Prophet, Steven Wynn, Drive-By Truckers, Old 97’s, La Santa Cecilia, Conor Oberst, Nortec Collective, M. Ward and Dawes. All shows will be in the Hotel California with the exception of the show on the 24th, which will be in the town plaza.
Why It’s Fun Peter Buck of R.E.M. conceived of and curates this event. Not only does he play, he invites his musician buddies from the US and Mexico to come play to raise money for the Palapa Society and other Todos Santos charities. And it turns out that Peter Buck’s friends are all these incredibly nice people who are insanely great musicians. It’s nothing but fantastic music and great fun pulsing through the streets of town for nights on end – you don’t want to miss it!
Inception 2012

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: DBTs at Todos Santos in January 2015

Kindly figured this would be big news but it hasn't caused even the slightest stir. Folks I know that have attended say it's big time fun and they're all stoked at this year's line up. With the addition of bands like the Truckers and the Old 97's, I'm sure that will also change the low key nature of it, which has been a huge part of it's appeal over the years. That's not a slight towards either band, btw. It's only natural that it will get bigger and bigger every year. Since it's so much about raising money for local charities, that's a good thing.

A taste of last year's fest, there's more where this comes from on YouTube.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Looks like a good time. Any idea which week DBT is playing?
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:Looks like a good time. Any idea which week DBT is playing?

No idea at present, I'm sure those details (as well as ticket prices) will be forthcoming. I know of several folks that go every year that say it's always a real blast and very laid back. The DBT's being part of the line up has been in the rumor stage since shortly after last year's fest ended but I didn't want to say anything until it'd been made official. It's long been a dream of mine to attend, especially with a line up like this years, though it's always been top notch.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Scheming and dreaming at this point. It seems out of the realm of possibility for us but Mexico in January? Yes please. We shall see...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i think i've mentioned this before, but my wife's got an uncle who lives in Todos Santos (at least for a good chunk of the year). we've been down twice to visit and it's a great area. Cabo is like LA South; TS is nowhere near as built-up and Americanized.

Los Cerritos is a fantastic beach, too.

Kudzu Guillotine

Latest word is that tickets will go on sale in October. I am told that the Plaza tickets are best. If you are on FB be sure to "Like" the Todos Santos Music Festival page for the latest updates. If you are not on FB, you can go to their official website for the latest. BTW, it looks like the Todos Santos Eco Adventures' blog (the link I provided in the first post) jumped the gun but I'm assured the lineup is correct, it will just be a matter of time before an official announcement is made which should also include the schedule.

***Edited to Add

More info at the The Palapa Society of Todos Santos site (one of the charities Buck supports); according to them, ticket info will be posted on September 15th.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Details Confirmed bands and musicians include Joseph Arthur, Kevn Kinney, Chuck Prophet, Steven Wynn, Drive-By Truckers, Old 97’s, La Santa Cecilia, Conor Oberst, Nortec Collective, M. Ward and Dawes.

Steven!?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Tickets are now on sale here. You'll also find the lineup here.

Kudzu Guillotine

THE TODOS SANTOS MUSIC FESTIVAL
TO SET UP DISASTER FUND FOR HURRICANE RELIEF

TODOS SANTOS, MEXICO (October 2, 2014) – Hotel California and Vaso Loco, LLC, a company founded by guitarist Peter Buck, today announced the fourth annual Todos Santos Music Festival, a two-week music event, will set up a disaster fund to aid in hurricane relief. The village of Todos Santos was greatly affected by Hurricane Odile which caused widespread devastation after it sustained a direct hit.

With the support of its sponsors, the Todos Santos Music Festival, in partnership with The Palapa Society of Todos Santos, A.C. and presenting sponsor Hotel California, will direct all proceeds from ticket sales, merchandise sales, sponsorship and donations, after the payment of festival expenses, to aid in recovery and reconstruction. A portion of the revenue will be made available immediately for ongoing urgent relief efforts.

Donations can be made via the Todos Santos Music Festival site, Palapa Society, or through the International Community Foundation (ICF), an organization that serves as a conduit for US tax deductible gifts to foreign charities, www.icfdn.org. The Palapa Society Odile Disaster Relief Fund, set up by the Palapa Society at ICF will allow the public to make tax deductible contributions from the United States. For contribution via the ICF site please visit http://icf-xchange.org/donateonline/ind ... bkey=psodr

“The needs in Todos Santos in the wake of Hurricane Odile are overwhelming,” said Peter Buck, the founder of Vaso Loco, LLC. “Thanks to the cooperation of The Palapa Society and Hotel California, we will donate all of the profits from the 2015 festival to help people in Todos Santos reconstruct their lives, homes and businesses. We also hope that the festival’s return in January will serve as a symbol of Todos Santos’ resilience and ability to bounce back from this terrible tragedy.”

In the first phase, the fund has provided, and will continue to provide, money to obtain and distribute essentials like food and water, and to assist with temporary shelter to families in need. The second phase will focus on the larger reconstruction needs of the community.

In order to effectively expedite the distribution of funds, an application process will assess requests for assistance, helping the neediest, elderly and disabled families with the greatest priority.

The Todos Santos Music Festival was established to make a difference in the community by bringing together artists to raise funds for important local charities. The 2014 Todos Santos Music Festival raised $62,000, which was distributed to several of the town’s most invaluable organizations.

The 2015 Todos Santos Music Festival, which will take place Jan 15-17 and Jan 21-24, will feature performances by the Old 97’s, The Jayhawks, La Santa Cecilia, Conor Oberst, Dawes, M. Ward, Drive-By Truckers, Nortec Collective Presents: Bostich + Fussible, Peter Buck, Joseph Arthur, Chuck Prophet, Steve Wynn and Kev’n Kinney. The full schedule of events as well as ticketing info can be can be found here: http://todossantosmusicfestival.com/

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So can we expect Homecoming in February again? Magic 8-Ball says "Signs point to yes", but Magic 8-Ball is a known liar.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Are you going Kudzu? I think we need an official 3DD reporter on site.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Are you going Kudzu? I think we need an official 3DD reporter on site.

I won't be there but several folks from The R.E.M. Timeline will be. They've been there for every "BuckFest" so far and have done an outstanding job reporting on them via the Timeline (on FB and the web). Be sure to check kiwichrisha's YouTube channel for video (and interviews) from all of the fests so far.

MrsUncleFrank23

Post by MrsUncleFrank23 »

I'll be there and doing my best to make Ben and all of you proud with updates.
Last edited by MrsUncleFrank23 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben is looking down with a smile!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

MrsUncleFrank23 wrote:I'll be there and don't best to make Ben and all of you proud with updates.

Well now, that's perfect!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

MrsUncleFrank23 wrote:I'll be there and don't best to make Ben and all of you proud with updates.

ALSUM!! This is great. Hope you have a wonderful time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

The first video to surface from this years fest that I'm aware of.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

As I sit here high up on a mountain in Colorado freezing my ass off its tough to perspectify the fact that I will be in Mexico in a couple of days. But its happening! I believe I have been to over a hundred shows (I quit keeping track a few years ago) and have never mixed a DBT show with tequila but here we go.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

boyyourself wrote:As I sit here high up on a mountain in Colorado freezing my ass off its tough to perspectify the fact that I will be in Mexico in a couple of days. But its happening! I believe I have been to over a hundred shows (I quit keeping track a few years ago) and have never mixed a DBT show with tequila but here we go.

Have a great time. Report back as sobriety permits
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
boyyourself wrote:As I sit here high up on a mountain in Colorado freezing my ass off its tough to perspectify the fact that I will be in Mexico in a couple of days. But its happening! I believe I have been to over a hundred shows (I quit keeping track a few years ago) and have never mixed a DBT show with tequila but here we go.

Have a great time. Report back as sobriety permits

I'm thinking that reporting back w/out the sobriety limitation will be a lot more fun for those of us left behind. Have fun!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila and DBT? It works out, trust me. Have fun!

Kudzu Guillotine

So wish I could be there. It's hard enough to read about all the goings on now, once the Truckers arrive I'll almost hate to keep up.

The R.E.M. Timeline guys, despite slow wifi at Hotel California, are managing to eek out some YouTube uploads here and there, this is another one.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I would have liked to go too but there are only so many of the "Premium" type shows a fan can attend in a year. Homecoming is in less than a month (though since I am now living in Athens I don't think it counts as a premium show for me) and I am sure there will be other opportunities this summer for something special.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

The Todos Santos shows have all been pretty low-key so far, I believe that will change starting with this year. It's also a very unique experience with Peter Buck choosing some of his friends to come perform for two weekends in a row that, from what I can tell, has an "anything can happen" feel to it. Last year, John Paul Jones showed up out of the blue, for instance. From what I understand, the biggest expense is getting there. Ticket prices are very reasonable as are hotel rates, food, drink, etc.

The Dream Syndicate with Peter Buck and John Paul Jones at Todos Santos 2014.

From night 3 of this years' fest, an impromptu version of "Talk About the Passion".

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Tequila and DBT? It works out, trust me. Have fun!

I second that! (As long as you don't also have food poisoning....yeah...sorry about that.)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

MrsUncleFrank23

Post by MrsUncleFrank23 »

Damn...just had to cancel my trip. Grief is a horrible thing but especially for a 13 year old boy who lost their dad. I can't leave Liam and have already released my tickets. Just have one for Ben and enjoy!
Ben is looking down with a smile!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

MrsUncleFrank23 wrote:Damn...just had to cancel my trip. Grief is a horrible thing but especially for a 13 year old boy who lost their dad. I can't leave Liam and have already released my tickets. Just have one for Ben and enjoy!

Totally understandable but sorry to hear it nonetheless. I hope y'all will be able to make it to (and enjoy!) Athens. I know it sounds stupid from this distance but if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.