DBTs at Todos Santos in January 2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: DBTs at Todos Santos in January 2015

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Soundcheck
Photo By Jason Muñoz

Patterson at Rancho Pescadero
Photo By R.E.M. Timeline

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

any updates?

Kudzu Guillotine

dbtfan4life wrote:any updates?

If you are on FB, check the R.E.M. Timeline page and the official R.E.M. page. The Timeline guys are posting photos and setlists if not in real time, at least shortly thereafter. Wifi at Hotel California is slow at best so videos have been few and far between, they will upload all of those once they get back home.

Bertis Downs just posted this on the R.E.M. page.

PICTURE POSTCARD FROM TODOS SANTOS
A tremendous time again at Peter Buck's magical music festival this year--the Todos Santos Music Festival, Baja California, Mexico. Totally distinctive and comfortable feeling, and of course, we're living it up there at the Hotel California, as it were. Music and friendship are the obvious highlights, but food and drink are pretty key too, and the whole experience has become even better with a few years of doing this. Tonight is the grand finale in the town square--the musicians are enthused and relaxed, the crowd comes from all over the world, the fish tacos are amazing, the jalapeno/hibiscus margaritas spicy, and the combinations and covers (last night including "Fall on Me," featuring M. Ward on lead vox) are inspired. It's just its own/different kind of thing, but good different. Well-done Peter the envisioner and all the people who work hard to make this thing happen year after year. I can only hope for many happy returns.
Bertis

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Hola amiogos!

It's been a loooooong time since I posted on here; in fact had to have the head MD around here reset my password for me. I live in Mexico now and have been a bit disconnected with all things DBT-ish. Imagine my surprise when I found out last fall that they'd be at this festival! So we are here right now; as I write this I'm sitting in my beach bungalow and looking out at the beautiful Pacific.

I have never been to a festival like this. The same performers play every night, and an appearance by any one band ensures there will be special guests popping up on stage. This thing is organized by Peter Buck, who lives down here and I guess needs somewhere to spend the $80 mil he got when REM broke up, so he brings down his musical friends and throws a big party, benefitting various local organizations. Thursday night and last night the shows were in the courtyard of the Hotel California - yes, the one from the Eagles song. It has a magical feeling place and holds no more than 400 people. We have been in the front 3 rows every night for shows by Conor Oberst, M. Ward, Dawes, and DBT. Also in attendance are Chuck Prophet, Kev'n Kinney, Steve Wynn, Scott MacCaugey, Linda Pitmon, Joseph Arthur, and of course Peter Buck.

Todos Santos is a funky little town about 30 minutes around the point from Cabo on the Pacific (Cabo is on the Sea of Cortez). It is the antithesis to Cabo, with many streets still not paved, cool art galleries and great restaurants, and no big hotels or condos or golf courses. Lots of people come here to surf and never leave.

Dawes has played a set each night, and then has backed up Conor Oberst for his set. I had never seen him and I have been very favorably impressed. Dude is full of angst and also possibly a little messed up; he made the poor choice of trying to traverse the stage from one amplifier to the other across the drum kit on the first night yes, he did fall but he somehow kept playing. Last night he had it together more and told the crowd that DBT was one of his favorite bands ever.

Of course he and M. Ward have played together both nights as they are both in Monsters of Folk. He's another guy I had kind of written off as appealing only to the 25-30 y.o. female category, but he is also immensely talented as both a player and song-writer. Loved Chuck Prophet already; man, that guy can play the blues! Peter Buck just saunters up on stage and plays occasionally with a shit-eating smirk that says, yeah, I made this.

You never know ahead of time what the set order will be, until you arrive at the venue each night. We even saw Matt Patton in town yesterday (the only band member who didn't bring his family down; he said they just adopted a baby and she can't leave the country yet) and HE didn't even know at that point when DBT would play. Turns out they have played last each night. Thursday night started and ended with tracks from English Oceans (Pauline Hawkins and of course Grand Canyon) but everything else was from DD and TDS. Cooley was on fire and clearly enjoying himself, Patterson seemed slightly low energy and maybe fighting a cold. The crowd was crazy and the middle of the floor was commandeered by about 20 very exuberant dancers.

Last night's show was one of the best I have ever seen from DBT. I'm not a keeper of set lists but I can tell you that the show started with a slow-down version of Lookout Mountain that was amazing and ended with the the stage full of people singing "I'm Going Straight to Hell" with Kev'n Kinney leading things. Peter Buck came out for "I'm Eighteen" and had Cooley in a bro-hug the whole time (Cooley could not have been grinning any wider all night) and Steve MacCaugey played Patterson's guitar in "People Who Died". They played "Let There Be Rock" in the middle of the show and continued to be on fire from there.

Other highlights from earlier in the night included Patterson and Jay singing back-up up M. Ward on an Alex Chilton song (don't know the name, Peter Buck played guitar) and Patterson singing back-up on an REM song that is too old for me to remember the name to, sorry.

I'll also mention that there were VIP passes that sold out quickly, and the remainder of the shows are GA with tickets available only at the door each night. Individual tickets are 50 pesos, or about $3.50. So far it's been one of those experiences that you keep thinking maybe somebody ought to pinch you because it just seems too good to be real.

Tonight's show will be at the town square. Jon Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin lives here and it's rumored that he will show up. It's guaranteed to be a great night,regardless. So much talent in one place, and clearly all of them having the time of their lives. Patterson said last night that DBT will be back. So will I!
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Clams

Post by Clams »

colodogdoc wrote:
Last night's show was one of the best I have ever seen from DBT. I'm not a keeper of set lists but I can tell you that the show started with a slow-down version of Lookout Mountain that was amazing and ended with the the stage full of people singing "I'm Going Straight to Hell" with Kev'n Kinney leading things. Peter Buck came out for "I'm Eighteen" and had Cooley in a bro-hug the whole time (Cooley could not have been grinning any wider all night) and Steve MacCaugey played Patterson's guitar in "People Who Died". They played "Let There Be Rock" in the middle of the show and continued to be on fire from there.

Straight to Hell? Muy excelente!!
If you don't run you rust

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

There ain't much to mexican livin. Sweat piss jizz blood. And tacos. A third rock show coming up this afternoon in the plaza. Don't anybody pinch me. Gracias DBT.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:
colodogdoc wrote:

Straight to Hell? Muy excelente!!

Fuck ya, what clams said!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

sounds like an incredible time have fun guys!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks for the update Christie
Always go to the show

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Not sure if that last link works or not. Its a photo that sums up our weekend in Todos. I guess it also sums up the last thirteen or fourteen years of being in love with DBT. I keep thinking once I come down from the experience I could write about it but I dont think I'm coming down from that. Todos Santos is a great town. Everyone is polite and the food is delicious and cheap. The beaches and the surf are spectacular. The festival itself was…well…amazing. Of course helped by the fact that DBT played 3 nights in a row. But it was so much more than that. All of the rocknroll was incredible and the vibe was so positive and the air was filled with pure joy. I still hasn't really sunk in that I saw Truckers in Mexico with some of my oldest and dearest friends. Its fucking great to be alive. Patterson mentioned they are going to try and get back there next year and I heard el Mattador say the same thing. I could see going back either way.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Thanks for the updates, looks like a wonderful time! Your picture link worked fine and that's a fantastic picture!

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

boyyourself wrote:Not sure if that last link works or not. Its a photo that sums up our weekend in Todos. I guess it also sums up the last thirteen or fourteen years of being in love with DBT. I keep thinking once I come down from the experience I could write about it but I dont think I'm coming down from that. Todos Santos is a great town. Everyone is polite and the food is delicious and cheap. The beaches and the surf are spectacular. The festival itself was…well…amazing. Of course helped by the fact that DBT played 3 nights in a row. But it was so much more than that. All of the rocknroll was incredible and the vibe was so positive and the air was filled with pure joy. I still hasn't really sunk in that I saw Truckers in Mexico with some of my oldest and dearest friends. Its fucking great to be alive. Patterson mentioned they are going to try and get back there next year and I heard el Mattador say the same thing. I could see going back either way.

Awesome pic and report bro...only wish I was there too, looks like way too good of a time to not go if they play there again.
Bummed that Jen and I didn't look into it further for this year.
RAWK ON!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

http://unfurlingadventuress.tumblr.com
A nice write up about the weekend from my friends who we hung with all weekend. They are touring baja for the remainder of the winter.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:http://unfurlingadventuress.tumblr.com
A nice write up about the weekend from my friends who we hung with all weekend. They are touring baja for the remainder of the winter.

That doesn't say "remainder of the week," does it? Damn some people do it right.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Thanks to Chris Hartstonge from R.E.M. timeline i now have all the details of what went down...

http://www.26miledrive.com/show/12069
http://www.26miledrive.com/show/12070
http://www.26miledrive.com/show/12071

Kudzu Guillotine

Chuck Prophet being backed by Peter Buck & Friends (essentially The Baseball Project).

Kudzu Guillotine

Christian Fernandez has uploaded a bunch of videos to their YouTube channel including this one of the Truckers doing "Used To A Cop" though there's some sort of interference going on throughout.

This clip of "People Who Died" is much better sound quality-wise.

"Women Without Whiskey"

Kudzu Guillotine

39 performances culled from week one of the Todos Santos Music Festival including Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Steve Wynn, Kevn Kinney, Joseph Arthur, the Autumn Defense, the Old 97's, the Jayhawks, etc. Super major double props to the folks at the R.E.M. Timeline for going above and beyond as per usual in documenting the fest. Video from week two soon to come.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

cool

Kudzu Guillotine

Week two highlights are now up including performances from DBT's, Chuck Prophet, Dawes, M. Ward, Conor Oberst and more of the usual suspects.