Intro Playlist

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Big Mouth

Intro Playlist

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I'm giving a friend of mine a DBT introduction CD tomorrow and was wondering what everyone thought of it. I kept the playlist to 10 songs so as not to overwhelm him. Here goes:

1. Sink Hole - I love the extended musical intro that quickly shows off the band's power and southern bona fides. A perfect showcase for Patterson's story telling.

2. Uncle Frank - My favorite part of A Secret to a Happy Ending is when the history professor says that a student of his wrote a dissertation on the TVA and that Cooley did a better job in four minutes.

3. The Southern Thing - The duality of the southern thing and the variation on the Battle Hymn of the Republic are both genius. Period.

4. One of These Days - My favorite example of three guitars or a life of crime.

5. After the Scene Dies - Patterson knows how to set a scene with "and the club becomes an Old Navy."

6. 3 Dimes Down - Even my wife likes this song.

7. Do It Yourself - Sorely underrated. "Everyone has those times when the night's so long. A dead end life just stares you down. You lean back under the microphone. And turn your demons into walls of goddamn noise and sound." Followed by one of my favorite Patterson solos.

8. Marry Me - I struggled with switching in SDZ or Gravity's Gone, but I went with MM because of the awesome bridge section.

9. The Living Bubba - The foundation.

10. Shut Up and Get on the Plane - My favorite Cooley song on many, many levels.

Finally, it's great to post again. Although I've seen many of you at shows, I've missed being a part of the actual Board. I was going to post this a few days ago, but when I logged on I happened to read the Ben Rudin thread, which stopped me in my tracks. What a terrible story, despite how nice it was to see how our community (and DBT themselves!) was able to provide some measure of comfort and fun to Ben's family. I hope the entire Rudin family is doing as well as can be.
Three guitars or a life of crime

psychobillycadillac

Re: Intro Playlist

Post by psychobillycadillac »

To me that's more DBT 102 material, if we're going intro class then I'm including some of the more popular songs that folks will roll their eyes out but were great to all of us at one time. Those would be songs like Outfit, Sweet Annette, Women Without Whiskey, Zip City, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Let there be Rock. By no means am I saying your list isn't great, quite the opposite as some of those are in my top 10. Think of my list as remedial DBT ;)

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I think the greatest hits release is pretty spot on as an intorduction to the Truckers.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Think I would include one from EO to showcase the current line-up and Matt's bassin' extraordinaire.... Close with Grand Canyon for instance?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:Think I would include one from EO to showcase the current line-up and Matt's bassin' extraordinaire.... Close with Grand Canyon for instance?

That's the one

Good to see ya Sterling
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:
6. 3 Dimes Down - Even my wife likes this song.

:lol:

I like the idea of a10 song EP (sometimes it's best to spoon feed). What goes on it really depends on the type of person your friends is. Another idea might be to just give him a copy of English Oceans and say Here's their new one, it's really good.

Btw, long time no see, hope you and the Mrs are doing well.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Good to see ya, big mouth. Ummmm, I mean Sterling. Hope to see you around a little more often :)

Clams wrote:What goes on it really depends on the type of person your friends is.
If I were the pedantic type I'd put "[sic]" after that quote but hey, that's just not me. This is what I started to write earlier but got distracted from finishing/posting:

We've had this thread about a zillion times and i say that not w/ my curmudgeon hat on but w/ my trying to be helpful hat on: The conclusion is always that one should compile a playlist directed at your perception of the intended listener's primary interest: Will they fall for the more straight ahead rockers? Are they more country oriented? Or is it the variety and range of influences that might appeal to them? Do they like intricate, smart lyrics or big choruses or 3 guitars blazing? Does the sweet pedal steel make 'em cry? Will they fall for the offbeat character studies that are at the heart of so much of what DBT does? Etc, etc, etc. Most of those threads wind up leaning in one or 2 of these directions and are good sources for songs that fall in the different categories (as if you didn't know them).

I agree w/ the something from EO suggestion and would go w/ either Grand Canyon, Shit Shots Count or Pauline Hawkins.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Good to see ya, big mouth. Ummmm, I mean Sterling. Hope to see you around a little more often :)

Clams wrote:What goes on it really depends on the type of person your friends is.
If I were the pedantic type I'd put "[sic]" after that quote but hey, that's just not me. This is what I started to write earlier but got distracted from finishing/posting:

We've had this thread about a zillion times and i say that not w/ my curmudgeon hat on but w/ my trying to be helpful hat on: The conclusion is always that one should compile a playlist directed at your perception of the intended listener's primary interest: Will they fall for the more straight ahead rockers? Are they more country oriented? Or is it the variety and range of influences that might appeal to them? Do they like intricate, smart lyrics or big choruses or 3 guitars blazing? Does the sweet pedal steel make 'em cry? Will they fall for the offbeat character studies that are at the heart of so much of what DBT does? Etc, etc, etc. Most of those threads wind up leaning in one or 2 of these directions and are good sources for songs that fall in the different categories (as if you didn't know them).

I agree w/ the something from EO suggestion and would go w/ either Grand Canyon, Shit Shots Count or Pauline Hawkins.

An old college friend asked me to make him a mix a couple years ago. Best I can tell, he's still into the metal/hard rock stuff that was all the rage in 1980-1981 but rather than compile a mix that's just their hard rockin' stuff, I thought it best to show all sides of the coin. At present, the playlist I've created is over 2 hours long. Whittling it down to 10 songs will never happen.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Turning people onto DBT is always a bit dicey because The Truckers are very diverse and every album is unique. The lyrical focus is always the main thing but not everybody focuses on the lyrics. Ten to twelve songs? I'll give it a shot.

"Bulldozers and Dirt"
"Love Like This"
"Ronnie and Neil"
"Women Without Whiskey"
"Outfit"
"Heathens"
"Carl Perkins Cadillac"
"World of Hurt"
"Three Dimes Down"
"Go Go Boots"
"Birthday Boy"
"Grand Canyon"
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

misterbrow

Post by misterbrow »

I agree that you have to tailor it to the person you are making it for. I made one for a buddy that's an artist and has been a punk rocker forever. His initial reaction to DBT was, "I thought that was a hipster band." This was before EO came out.

Deeper in
Sinkhole
Where the Devil Dont Stay
Puttin People on the Moon
Carl Perkins
Lookout Mt
Fireplace Poker
Southern Thing
Women Without Whiskey
Nine Bullets
Decoration Day
World of Hurt (RamsHead St Patricks Day)
Butholeville
People Who Died

Each one has some hook to another song or crazy stupid sh** we had done.