Atlanta at The Tabernacle 10/10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bogart

Re: Atlanta at The Tabernacle 10/10

Post by bogart »

I didn't receive an email...

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

it went out on 10/08/14, here's what it read (to the Mod Team, if this isn't Kosher please delete my post)

Y'all,
We are about to head out on the road for our Fall Tour.
These will be the last Big Rock Shows of the year (ending in Beautiful San Francisco at the beloved Fillmore Auditorium). Probably the last chance in most of these towns to catch the Rock for quite some time. DON'T MISS.

It's been over a year and a half since we played Atlanta, and this weekend's show at The Tabernacle is going to be very special indeed. Our good friends St. Paul and the Broken Bones are opening and they're not really an opening act anymore so DON'T MISS. (It's probably gonna sell out so don't put off getting your tickets).

We're playing Birmingham this weekend at the Cask and Drum Festival. That's sure to be a great time with some other fantastic bands and lots of fun activities.

Next week, we'll be playing The Beacon in NYC for the first time. A real milestone for us.
St. Paul and the Broken Bones are opening that one also and we are beyond excited about this.

This past weekend, we were sitting on the bus after our show and I played our bonus disc of Black Ice Verite' on the player in the back lounge. It's the one coming out on vinyl if you buy the DVD, or the bonus CD if you get the Deluxe Edition of English Oceans. I hadn't played it since I signed off on the mastering and it was the first time that we had listened to it together (most of us were there anyway). I had actually forgotten how good it turned out. It's a really cool listen.

8 Live Tracks: 3 recorded during an acoustic Hay Bale Session the morning of our Bonnaroo show, and 5 other live tracks recorded last February at The Fabulous 40 Watt Club. It's not the definitive live album we keep threatening to make (we're still threatening that) but it totally stands up as it's own thing and we're all very happy with how it all turned out.

Oh, and the DVD we filmed during the Snowpocalypse turned out really stellar also. Jason Thrasher did an outstanding job and it's a very unique document and worthy addition to our catalog.

Deluxe Edition of English Oceans, Black Ice Verite' LP & Black Ice Verite' DVDall will be available in stores November 18. You can also preorder here.

Cooley and I each have some solo dates coming up in November and December. Those are listed below.

I think Jay Gonzalez has some things up his sleeve coming up before long also.
(Stay tuned for upcoming info about his "Bittersuite" release.)

We have dates coming up in Chicago, Philly, Nashville (at The Ryman) and a very special Halloween Surprise that we will be announcing shortly. All dates are below.

Oh yeah, and Twin Peaks is coming back soon. Holy Shit, It's Great to Be Alive!!!

See You at The Rock Show (while you still can).
Patterson Hood
Drive-By Truckers

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I was in for this show until I saw that Patterson and Cooley are both playing solo shows close by very soon. Things are so busy for me right now there is just no way to make it to all three of these shows and I've never seen either of them solo.

I doubt any of y'all will make it to Patterson's Valdosta show but maybe I'll see some of y'all at the Melting Point when Cooley plays Athens. I really hate to miss them tomorrow night but I can't do it all.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

In.......been a long time, a long week..... I need a rock show!!!!
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Good rawk show morning. Y'all be safe on the way in and treat everyone at the show the right way. See y'all tonight.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A Friday night stream would be fantastic. Just sayin'.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

ScottyC wrote:Good rawk show morning. Y'all be safe on the way in and treat everyone at the show the right way. See y'all tonight.

You coming to Sidebar to pregame?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

Heading to the airport now. Safe travels everyone, and see you tonight!
Sneaked up them stairs

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Markalanbishop wrote:
ScottyC wrote:Good rawk show morning. Y'all be safe on the way in and treat everyone at the show the right way. See y'all tonight.

You coming to Sidebar to pregame?

Tis the plan, how early is dependent on missus and the ability to get outta work.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Anybody sitting on any extra tickets for tonight? Just found out we can go and would rather grab tickets from a board member with extras than ticketmaster, honestly.

lylabean

Post by lylabean »

sent you a message jh13

bhogan73

Post by bhogan73 »

Hi, I am looking for 1 xtra if any board members are looking to unload. Please pm me or shoot me a text @ 404-285-7234 if you have one. Thanks, B

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Made Up English Oceans
Righteous Path
Ghost to Most
Pauline Hawkins
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Devil Don't Stay
Sinkhole
Sounds Better in the Son
Tornadoes
Primer Coat
The Living Bubba
Til he's dead or rises
Buttholeville
Shit Shots Count
Lookout Mountain
E:
First Air Of Autumn
Runaway Train
Women Without Whiskey
Box of Spiders
Zip City
Hell No I ain't Happy
Marry Me
Grand Canyom
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CST

Tabernacle in Atlanta

Post by CST »

I have waited for this show what seems like
forever. The sound for St. Paul & the Broken
Bones was spot on. The Drive-By Truckers
sound was horrible, even at The Tabernacle.
Ban me from the club, but it's true. I went
to the floor & all levels of the balcony.
The vocals were garbage & Hood & keys
were so loud that you could not hear the
rest of the band. I was able to hear Cooley
on a couple of songs.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I was in several places as well, on the rail, behind the soundboard and in various spots in Cooleyville and didn't notice the sound issues. What I did notice was one of the very best Rock Shows of the year. High energy from the start this one featured old songs played with new energy and some of the best versions of EO songs I've heard all year. We had a nice group of 3DDers/heAthens up front and as near as I could tell everyone had a hell of a time.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'll be curious about the sound at the Newport next week. This will be my 4th DBT show at this venue, and the sound has never been the same twice. Ive come to expect that the sound will never be perfect, as I guess that Matt prefers energy over balance.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm still processing this Rock Show after a great night of music. Haven't seen them since Homecoming so I can't compare it to other shows. First thing that struck me, even before the start, was the stage setup. The Tabernacle has a huge stage, but instead of spreading out even a little bit all of the gear was packed together as closely as possible. To me, this was a great sign--meant that it was of primary importance that everyone be able to hear everyone else live, instead of through the monitor mix. It felt like they spent the overwhelming majority of the show almost huddled together. It was awesome to see. They were relaxed, confident, and positive throughout. I love seeing good bands after they've been on the road for months playing show after show. And when a great band has been on the road, well........ Admittedly, I've seen them less than 20 times, and only in the last couple of years, but this was as tight as I've ever heard them. A couple of times I actually got goose bumps just from how well they were communicating and playing together, irrespective of the particular song. As to the sound, I was on the second row of the first balcony and it was perfect throughout. And the people around me could not have been more into it. This random moment happened: When Jay took his 16 bar solo in Primer Coat, Matt cranked it in the mix, and at the end of the solo my whole section spontaneously erupted in applause. Just too cool.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

http://www.accessatlanta.com/gallery/en ... z/#6252426

Several shots of TC, front and center!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Amazing show!!! ran into Sweet Baby Jay during the final songs of St. Paul & The Broken Bones set, which was incredible!! Told Jay that they were incredible at Bonnaroo and to tell Patterson to pretty please play Runaway Train. They did!!! just made my night. that was DBT show number 33 and I hope to see 33 more. I thought the sound was great. And the folks around me were really cool and realized most of them saw the show back in 05 with Don Chambers and The Tom Collins. No drunk assholes except for one guy who grabbed his girl's butt. Let's just say he handled it well lol. Great show Great Fans Great nite!!!

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Patterson Hood wrote:Jason's grandfather told him yesterday that his all time favorite speech was "I'm Jimmy Carter. I'm running for President. These are my good friends The Allman Brothers."
Jason adapted that speech to introduce us last night.
"I'm Jason Carter. I'm running for Governor. These are my friends Drive-By Truckers."

This is the subsequent Sunday morning.

Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I think i saw Markalanbishop i dunno it was a bald guy with 2 younger girls. didnt say hi cause i didnt wana look like a dumbass

EZ Dan

Re: Tabernacle in Atlanta

Post by EZ Dan »

CST wrote:I have waited for this show what seems like
on a couple of songs.

I taped from the top balcony and I felt like Matt had it dialed in. I really think it sounded great from where I was.

But what do I know?

I'll upload to archive tonight for you guys to give a listen.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

dbtfan4life wrote:I think i saw Markalanbishop i dunno it was a bald guy with 2 younger girls. didnt say hi cause i didnt wana look like a dumbass

Too bad. I'm going to be flying solo at GA Theatre and planning to be on the rail so maybe catch up then.

psychobillycadillac

Re: Tabernacle in Atlanta

Post by psychobillycadillac »

CST wrote:I have waited for this show what seems like
on a couple of songs.

The Tabernacle is a tough room to balance sound in and we noticed that the mx was off at the start of the show. We started the night about 15' from the stage in front of Jay but moved to the back and right of the sound board where the sound improved. Being slightly under the balcony helped the sound a bit.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Thanks EZ Dan. and Markalabishop I'm gonna try to make it to the Halloween show

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

Hey EZ Dan - did you happen to get the St Paul+Broken Bones set too?

FWIW - I was dead-center on the floor and it sounded good to me. Bands do have a tendency to go too loud at the Tabernacle. The first DBT song was not quite dialed in, but I think they found the sound before too long.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RustyGoKart wrote:Hey EZ Dan - did you happen to get the St Paul+Broken Bones set too?

FWIW - I was dead-center on the floor and it sounded good to me. Bands do have a tendency to go too loud at the Tabernacle. The first DBT song was not quite dialed in, but I think they found the sound before too long.

Dead center on the floor? Were we standing next to you and I didn't know it?

EZ Dan

Post by EZ Dan »

I did get it.

I'll try to up a link soon.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-10-10.bsc1

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Hell yea!! thank you!!! :D

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Dead center on the floor? Were we standing next to you and I didn't know it?

Maybe. I was standing right behind a dude who was the spitting image of Philip Seymour Hoffman.