The Ryman

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gordonlw

Re: The Ryman

Post by gordonlw »

from another board

English Oceans with Mickey Raphael

:o

jr29

Post by jr29 »

And now John Oates.....

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

jr29 wrote:And now John Oates.....

cooleys in heaven!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I hope there are tapers present. :ugeek:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

bovine knievel wrote:I hope there are tapers present. :ugeek:

mark and martin are there.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Bulldozers and Dirt
A Ghost to Most
The Living Bubba
'Til He's Dead or Rises
Daddy Needs a Drink
Women Without Whiskey
Pauline Hawkins
Made Up English Oceans
Sinkhole
Shit Shots Count
Everybody Needs Love
Marry Me
Used to be a Cop
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Box of Spiders
Pulaski
Tornadoes
Primer Coat
Let There Be Rock
Encore:
Birthday Boy
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

What a special show. Everybody Needs Love with John Oates, Made Up English Oceans and Grand Canyon with Mickey Raphael. It was my first trip to the Ryman and it did not disappoint. You feel the ghosts there. With that and Oxford the night before so endeth our 2014 Rock Show experience. Not a lot of quantity (10 shows) but a hell of a lot of quality and ending at the Ryman felt right somehow.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:What a special show. Everybody Needs Love with John Oates, Made Up English Oceans and Grand Canyon with Mickey Raphael. It was my first trip to the Ryman and it did not disappoint. You feel the ghosts there. With that and Oxford the night before so endeth our 2014 Rock Show experience. Not a lot of quantity (10 shows) but a hell of a lot of quality and ending at the Ryman felt right somehow.

Forgive my ignorance but who is Mickey Raphael?
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:What a special show. Everybody Needs Love with John Oates, Made Up English Oceans and Grand Canyon with Mickey Raphael. It was my first trip to the Ryman and it did not disappoint. You feel the ghosts there. With that and Oxford the night before so endeth our 2014 Rock Show experience. Not a lot of quantity (10 shows) but a hell of a lot of quality and ending at the Ryman felt right somehow.

Natalie Merchant's harp player.

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

What an awesome set list (Thanks Uncle Rickey). Loved the Bulldozer and Dirt as an opener. I think I see kind of a back and forth theme on song choice between Patterson and Mike in some places in the set list? Or is that just me?

Hope everyone had a great time and are having a good drive from Nashville to Athens tonight. We will be looking forward to reports from the belly of beast at the Georgia Theater (and pictures of the costumes on stage and in the crowd).

As Tequila Cowboy said in the previous quote (and we say more and more often as we get a little older): "Quality over Quantity"

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Mickey Raphael may play with others, but he's best known as at part of Willie Nelson's band.

How did the rock show sound in the Ryman?

Kudzu Guillotine

I ended up there in 2004 to see R.E.M. with Trent Dabbs (I think he's since had some songs used on Nashville). They were supposed to kick off the tour that year in Raleigh but got called away to take part in the Vote For Change tour. To my knowledge, it's the only time in their history where they never played North Carolina on a tour. We were on our way to catch the next date on the tour outside of Atlanta in Duluth with Now It's Overhead, otherwise an extended stay would have been called for in Nashville. As it was, we only got to see a little bit of it. Also, R.E.M.'s show at the Ryman was a damn sight more enjoyable than the Duluth show was. For one, it felt more informal with salutes going out to Jack Emerson (who had worked with Jason and the Scorchers, Steve Earle, etc.) who'd just passed and just a more casual feel to the concert in general. In Duluth, Stipe was met with boos from the crowd when he mentioned John Kerry. Some Rethuglicans up in the balcony also unfurled a pro-Bush banner at that point which changed the entire mood of the concert.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Stipe was met with boos from the crowd when he mentioned John Kerry. Some Rethuglicans up in the balcony also unfurled a pro-Bush banner at that point which changed the entire mood of the concert.

Well if Stipe has the right to speak out and express his views, don't the "rethuglicans" too?

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Stipe was met with boos from the crowd when he mentioned John Kerry. Some Rethuglicans up in the balcony also unfurled a pro-Bush banner at that point which changed the entire mood of the concert.

Well if Stipe has the right to speak out and express his views, don't the "rethuglicans" too?

Not saying they didn't but imagine being at a Truckers show and a show of opposition being shown during one of Patterson's political rants. I don't think that would go over too well either. By the way, I'm well aware of how preachy Stipe can be, that wasn't the case here. Pretty much everyone that's a fan is aware of their political leanings as they've never made any secret of it. To bring in a huge pro Bush banner and to boo the performers they paid to see appeared to me to be self-defeating and out of line even if they had the right to voice their opposition to Stipe (and R.E.M.'s) choice of a candidate.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:

Head to the Dry Gulch.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Glad to hear a good time was had by all!

Mickey Raphael came out for EO at the Greek last April, it was awesome. They really stretched out the intro for him and it got into this great, open, etheral groove. Not quite trance like but lots of room for the music to breathe. Sort of un Truckers like but they killed it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Not a lot of quantity (10 shows)

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol:

Wasn't looking for sympathy just saying we're not in the UR/CG/Worldwide Bill weight class this year that's all and actually all the things that have happened in the place of shows has been pretty damned great.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:

Not saying they didn't but imagine being at a Truckers show and a show of opposition being shown during one of Patterson's political rants. I don't think that would go over too well either.

That's when you hit em with Putting People on the Moon. Let the music do the talking.

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

>>>>>Forgive my ignorance but who is Mickey Raphael?

Most people know him as Willie Nelsons harp player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Raphael

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

>>>>>Forgive my ignorance but who is Mickey Raphael?

Most people know him as Willie Nelsons harp player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Raphael

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:That's when you hit em with Putting People on the Moon. Let the music do the talking.

Not sure that would change anything. Imagine a chorus of boos and a pro George Bush banner being put on display after the song was over. While I'm aware that we come in all shapes and sizes (as well as political beliefs) it made me wonder why someone would go to so much trouble and to boo the artist on stage that they'd paid to see.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:That's when you hit em with Putting People on the Moon. Let the music do the talking.

Not sure that would change anything. Imagine a chorus of boos and a pro George Bush banner being put on display after the song was over. While I'm aware that we come in all shapes and sizes (as well as political beliefs) it made me wonder why someone would go to so much trouble and to boo the artist on stage that they'd paid to see.

An intriguing question I most often think of in the context of Dylan's legendary 65/66 tours: Everyone knew he had "gone electric". So why go to the show, act surprised when the electric instruments come out and then boo, to say nothing of yelling "Judas."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I would pay good money to see that happen, once, just to see a) whether Patterson or Cooley spoke first (my money is on Cooley), b) what got said, and most importantly c) what the next song would be. My money would be on Made Up English Oceans, but like the boy in the Blondie song, I have no imagination. Might be Eighteen, might be Assholes.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

I thought the sound was good. It was a little weird to see Cooley on the right but the voice coming from the left.

I noticed that Jay was back to his normal SG (the one I call his Badfinger guitar) and didn't have that unusual P90 mid 70s one he got after he got freaked out when Patterson broke his headstock in Chicago and he didn't want to risk the same thing with his regular SG. Or maybe he found another "classic" humbucker model as a spare. I thought that the single P90 "spare" had a hard time cutting through and competing with Patterson's SG and the Cooleycaster when I saw them in Lexington even though I was standing right in front of Jay. It was well mixed in that simulcast from earlier this summer though.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Sound was outstanding to my ears, from the left of the stage. Early highlights for me included Cooley's guitar on Daddy Needs a Drink and Hood's guitar on Women Without Whiskey. Their vocal harmonies throughout - I remember thinking that I hope they know how good they sound.

Mickey Raphael - wow - added a dimension to everything. Sinkhole was angrier and more vengeful than I've ever heard.

The crowd/energy was great. Local gentleman next to me who attends shows at the Ryman on a regular basis commented that he had never seen everyone stand for an entire show there. Welcome to the ROCK SHOW!

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

That would be me. But I'm no gentleman.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

litdimly wrote:Sound was outstanding to my ears, from the left of the stage. Early highlights for me included Cooley's guitar on Daddy Needs a Drink and Hood's guitar on Women Without Whiskey. Their vocal harmonies throughout - I remember thinking that I hope they know how good they sound.

Mickey Raphael - wow - added a dimension to everything. Sinkhole was angrier and more vengeful than I've ever heard.

The crowd/energy was great. Local gentleman next to me who attends shows at the Ryman on a regular basis commented that he had never seen everyone stand for an entire show there. Welcome to the ROCK SHOW!

It was great show. Sorry we missed you, I was hollering as everyone was leaving but you didn't hear us.