The Ryman

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

The Ryman

Post by Jonicont »

tickets came today
Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Re: The Ryman

Post by CooleyGirl »

Ours showed up in the mail, too.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Mine too. I may be trying to make someone a deal on them though, due to a major surgery my wife just underwent. For sure going to miss the George's Fayetteville show and the Memphis show,but hoping for enough recovery for the Ryman show. We'll see. Keep yer fingers crossed.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I've always wanted to see a show at the Ryman, but this one is 2 days before we leave for Disney, so there's no way I can make it. Actually got to tour it last month when my wife and I did a 2-night getaway in Nashville. She's obsessed with the Nashville TV show, so we signed up for a tour that took us to some of the places and houses used during filming, and we got to tour the Ryman for 45 minutes or so. Awesome venue, according to a video they showed us upon arriving, it supposedly is the 2nd best sounding venue in the country behind the Mormon Tabernacle.

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

We can't wait! This will be Craig's first time leaving the Eastern Time Zone so celebrations will be in order.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Looking forward to this one. Excited to see the Ryman.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Going to miss the show at the Ryman (though I did see a Saturday-night country broadcast there in the early-'70s), but I'd fly to Utah to see the Truckers in the Mormon Tabernacle!

Clams's friend Deb

Post by Clams's friend Deb »

I'm looking forward to this one. The acoustics are amazing and there's not a bad seat in the house.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams's friend Deb wrote:I'm looking forward to this one. The acoustics are amazing and there's not a bad seat in the house.

Unless you are behind a pole.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

LBRod wrote:
Clams's friend Deb wrote:I'm looking forward to this one. The acoustics are amazing and there's not a bad seat in the house.

Or *under* the balcony.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

teleburst wrote:
LBRod wrote:

Or *under* the balcony.

How about in the balcony?
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The party is in the balcony.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

Or *under* the balcony.[/quote]
How about in the balcony?[/quote]

The balcony is great, although I always choose the floor when I can get within 5 pews of the front (I just like being close, although the front row of the balcony is really 13th row due to the shape of the hall - it's narrow and wide). I have a friend who records all of the shows he goes to (and he goes to a LOT of them every year). He always shoots for the front pew or two in the center of the balcony. That's where you find the best sound. He's got easily over a hundred Ryman shows recorded and he prefers the balcony. I don't think that there's really a bad seat in the balcony. Sound is good, sightlines are good, even on the sides. You can't say the latter about the floor.

There are a few close spots on the floor that you want to avoid for loud shows when the sound person doesn't realize that less is more for the Ryman. They is a small circle about 8 - 10 rows back in MF-5 or 7. There seems to be a bass node there that gets excited if the sound gets too loud. It's usually not a huge issue if the sound person is savvy and does his or her due diligence during sound check. But I was at one show where it was almost painful and I swore I'd never sit in that area again. I'm usually a lot closer though. The sound there is just fine, but not as "pristine" as the first row or two of center balcony. You could get a great rock sound in that place with just amps if you wanted to. Here's a hint for Cooley or Hood, I've seen Elvis Costello and Neil Finn do vocals without a mic. You have to stage it so that the audience cooperates, but it's a not an uncommon thing that people do at some point of the show when they know about the acoustics. It can really be spine-tingling. Costello did a whole song that way.

The problem with under the balcony is twofold. First, the sound tends to get congested. Second, the bottom of the balcony is ringed with small speakers to "help" you hear. You always can hear them and it's a distraction from the wonderful acoustics of the hall. Generally speaking, it's probably top 10 in the country for acoustics, which is why the smart sound man keeps a handle on the sound, even when it gets loud. It's a very lively soundscape. It might be worse without the speakers, but it's just not the sonic experience that this venerable hall can offer.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

teleburst wrote:Or *under* the balcony.

How about in the balcony?[/quote]

The balcony is great, although I always choose the floor when I can get within 5 pews of the front (I just like being close, although the front row of the balcony is really 13th row due to the shape of the hall - it's narrow and wide). I have a friend who records all of the shows he goes to (and he goes to a LOT of them every year). He always shoots for the front pew or two in the center of the balcony. That's where you find the best sound. He's got easily over a hundred Ryman shows recorded and he prefers the balcony. I don't think that there's really a bad seat in the balcony. Sound is good, sightlines are good, even on the sides. You can't say the latter about the floor.

There are a few close spots on the floor that you want to avoid for loud shows when the sound person doesn't realize that less is more for the Ryman. They is a small circle about 8 - 10 rows back in MF-5 or 7. There seems to be a bass node there that gets excited if the sound gets too loud. It's usually not a huge issue if the sound person is savvy and does his or her due diligence during sound check. But I was at one show where it was almost painful and I swore I'd never sit in that area again. I'm usually a lot closer though. The sound there is just fine, but not as "pristine" as the first row or two of center balcony. You could get a great rock sound in that place with just amps if you wanted to. Here's a hint for Cooley or Hood, I've seen Elvis Costello and Neil Finn do vocals without a mic. You have to stage it so that the audience cooperates, but it's a not an uncommon thing that people do at some point of the show when they know about the acoustics. It can really be spine-tingling. Costello did a whole song that way.

The problem with under the balcony is twofold. First, the sound tends to get congested. Second, the bottom of the balcony is ringed with small speakers to "help" you hear. You always can hear them and it's a distraction from the wonderful acoustics of the hall. Generally speaking, it's probably top 10 in the country for acoustics, which is why the smart sound man keeps a handle on the sound, even when it gets loud. It's a very lively soundscape. It might be worse without the speakers, but it's just not the sonic experience that this venerable hall can offer.[/quote]

Is it weird that reading this really, really makes me want to go to this show in particular?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
teleburst wrote:Or *under* the balcony.

How about in the balcony?

The problem with under the balcony is twofold. First, the sound tends to get congested. Second, the bottom of the balcony is ringed with small speakers to "help" you hear. You always can hear them and it's a distraction from the wonderful acoustics of the hall. Generally speaking, it's probably top 10 in the country for acoustics, which is why the smart sound man keeps a handle on the sound, even when it gets loud. It's a very lively soundscape. It might be worse without the speakers, but it's just not the sonic experience that this venerable hall can offer.[/quote]

Is it weird that reading this really, really makes me want to go to this show in particular?

My work here is done.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I am officially IN for this. First row of MF-5.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

Tyler wrote:I am officially IN for this. First row of MF-5.

One row behind you. MF-5, Row C, seat 6, which is stage right aisle seat.

Just about perfect.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

2 days to go
Always go to the show

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Jonicont wrote:2 days to go

yeah, but who's counting? ;) ;)

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'm certainly excited....barring any sort of NYE run (which looks highly unlikely) these will be my last rock shows of 2014. Going out on a milestone...Charlotte will be #50

FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

Tyler wrote:I'm certainly excited....

We are too! It'd be hard not to be ... the Ryman! Section MF-6 Row-M Seats 2 & 3. See you at the show!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Tomorrow! CG and I should be getting into town late morning, and we're meeting up with pa_heathen and hubby. Anyone got any recommendation for a pregame meet up spot?

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'll hopefully make it in like 2ish. Have about a 5 hour drive ahead of me.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

After Lexington, I decided that get togethers weren't something that people were all that into.

But for those who want to, here's a primer. First of all, parking is at a premium downtown. For those arriving early by car, unless you are staying downtown, which is highly unlikely considering the cost of hotels, I'd plan on using the bus from your location to bus in if you want to do a lunch hang/sightsee afternoon thing. Downtown is walkable but hilly when you go north of Broadway. There are two free busses that loop around downtown every 15 minutes. Makes it easy to get around quickly but walking doesn't take that much time.

For lunch, The Southern is great. It will be pretty full most of the time but no problems. Just look for the big Pinnacle building. It's the corner part of the building. Also, if you like NY style pizza, Manny's House of Pizza is in the Arcade (just ask a local for directions). It is as good as the best in NYC. No exaggeration. I think a cheese slice runs about $2.50. If you want bbq, of course there's Jack's. It's good, not great. And Rippy's, although that's better for a jump over the Ryman after scarfing down some ribs and beer. The ribs are usually very good.

More later.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

As far as parking goes, if you get downtown around 5, you can park on the street by feeding an hour's worth of quarters into the meter because it's free parking after 6pm. We have Uber here so you aren't limited to cabs. If you have a lot of coin to drop, you might find the band eating pre-show at Husk, Sean Brock's place here. It's about a 15 minute easy walk to the Ryman. Of course, resos are probably needed. The Southern is good for dinner as well. They do oysters and usually have a happy hour special on at least one variety (they usually let two to four varieties). Patterson House (pardon the pun) for upscale drinks and exotic whiskeys. 5 to 10 minute walk. About a mile away next to Union Station is The Flying Saucer. About 200 beers on tap and Germany style bar food. A good gathering place. Once again, about a 30 minute walk.

After show, you might head to East Nashville and bum with the hipsters (or maybe not). I'd do Tootsies for an hour just to have done it (afternoon is fine). I'd stay away from Honky Tonk Central. Blech.

Just a few suggestions.

I'm free to answer specific questions as well.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

teleburst wrote:As far as parking goes, if you get downtown around 5, you can park on the street by feeding an hour's worth of quarters into the meter because it's free parking after 6pm. We have Uber here so you aren't limited to cabs. If you have a lot of coin to drop, you might find the band eating pre-show at Husk, Sean Brock's place here. It's about a 15 minute easy walk to the Ryman. Of course, resos are probably needed. The Southern is good for dinner as well. They do oysters and usually have a happy hour special on at least one variety (they usually let two to four varieties). Patterson House (pardon the pun) for upscale drinks and exotic whiskeys. 5 to 10 minute walk. About a mile away next to Union Station is The Flying Saucer. About 200 beers on tap and Germany style bar food. A good gathering place. Once again, about a 30 minute walk. Better done by a 5 minute cab ride.

After show, you might head to East Nashville and bum with the hipsters (or maybe not). I'd do Tootsies for an hour just to have done it (afternoon is fine). I'd stay away from Honky Tonk Central. Blech.

Just a few suggestions.

I'm free to answer specific questions as well.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

Ooops, meant to hit edit, not quote. User error. The reply is the edited version. Read it, not the original.

teleburst

Post by teleburst »

Traffic downtown is heavy starting about 3:30 - 4 pm. Hits its peak around 5 - 5:30. Plan accordingly.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

A bunch of us are at Tootsie's upstairs. Come on out!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My chick is at this show and I'm not. That stinks.