SOTW 149 - First Air of Autumn

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: SOTW 149 - First Air of Autumn

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Reality TV shows about dumb rednecks feed fuel to the "people with southern accents are dumb" fire

I guess theres some truth to that. The irony there is that the ones who watch it and draw that conclusion are dumb enough to put stock in what they see on a reality show.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:At Homecoming last year there was one particular guy who was getting on everyone's nerves. Just way too drunk etc. I tried to talk to him and get him to settle down a bit. He asked me if I was on 3dd. I told him I was. He asked who I was on the board. I told. He said, "what's the first name again?" I told him. He says, "Cowell? Call? Cal?" I finally just told him my real name.

Was it that asshole Pork Pie Hat Guy? Hope he skips this year.

Ha. I wasn't gonna call names but yeah that's the guy. I've heard he's fine when he's not loaded. Unfortunately for all,f us he was loaded on an epic level.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:Ha. I wasn't gonna call names but yeah that's the guy. I've heard he's fine when he's not loaded. Unfortunately for all,f us he was loaded on an epic level.

I'm not one to call people out either, but he was an epic pain in the ass. Worse than any bro country fratboy that I've ever seen at a DBT show. There's "having a good time" and then there's "ruining it for anyone within 10 feet of you".
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Ha. I wasn't gonna call names but yeah that's the guy. I've heard he's fine when he's not loaded. Unfortunately for all,f us he was loaded on an epic level.

I'm not one to call people out either, but he was an epic pain in the ass. Worse than any bro country fratboy that I've ever seen at a DBT show. There's "having a good time" and then there's "ruining it for anyone within 10 feet of you".

I agree. Never seen anything like it. That was just a bad night for stupid drunks in that one little corner of the room. There was another guy, really tall, wearing a Baylor ball cap who got nearly as bad. He yelled out for Tornados to be played. Patterson played it and then after every song he would try and push up to the rail and yell the name of whatever song he wanted to hear over and over. Then when Cooley was playing Space City and the place got real quiet he was yelling stuff at the top of his lungs. :roll:

Me and Rod tried everything with Pork Pie. Finally had to be kind of harsh with him. Sounds like you and I were near each other. Wish I had known it. I would have said hey.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I took an intro music class in college w/ a professor who was somewhat famous at the time. First day, first lecture, the guy starts speaking w/ a british accent. I turned to my roommate and said "you gotta be kidding me; I bet this guy's from brooklyn." After class we headed up to the bookstore, found a record by the guy w/ his bio and sure enough: Brooklyn born and bred. :lol: So you dumb southern rednecks who talk funny aren't the only ones w/ accent issues.

As for me, every year that my brooklyn accent fades or morphs further into some mutt-like cross between brooklyn, boston and new england is, well, not quite tragic but sad enough in its own way. I sure as hell am not doing it on purpose.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Cole Younger wrote:
brett27295 wrote:

Me and Rod tried everything with Pork Pie. Finally had to be kind of harsh with him. Sounds like you and I were near each other. Wish I had known it. I would have said hey.

I did get in his face once and he pretty much stayed away from me the rest of the weekend. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cole Younger wrote:And to Clams' friend Deb, welcome. I'm really glad you're here anyway but especially so I can tell you personally that I really, really enjoyed the interview you did with Cooley. Probably my favorite interview he has ever done. You did a great job and it obvious he felt really comfortable talking to you which is saying a lot considering who we are talking about. I've listened to it several times.
Where can one find a copy of said interview? My curiosity has been piqued.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This SOTW thread has honestly made me reevaluate this song and appreciate it more than I did originally...I think I just didn't get it at first. Someone compared it to Keats, I think. I guess one doesn't "get" that on first read either!

Clams's friend Deb

Post by Clams's friend Deb »

For those of you who wanted to hear the Cooley interview again, here's a link:

http://arts.alabama.gov/actc/1/20130120mikecooley.mp3

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Deb. As soon as it started I remembered it. The positive comments are valid. It's a good one.

phungi

Post by phungi »

What follows is not a comment on the song or lyrics, which I think (and many have shared similar thoughts) are top-notch.

That said, listening to the recent show from the Union Transfer in Philly, and thinking of other shows, when Cooley plays First Air of Autumn it seems to suck the life out of the set. Nothing against a slow song, and Cooley us usually excellent at placing a slow song in a set, but other slow songs like Space City or Love Like This have a different pace, a chorus, and seem to slow things down while still bringing the audience together. This one seems to leave everyone standing there as silent observes.

Love this song recorded, and loved it when he played solo, but in a live set, it seems to be an excellent bathroom break song.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you jump to about the 46:50 mark of this video (from last month's show at Union Transfer in Philly), Cooley gives an intro that sheds some good light on what's behind this song.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Earlier today, I found myself on DBT's artist landing page on Spotify. Somewhat surprisingly, "First Air of Autumn" is listed third in the "Popular" section. "First Air of Autumn" is a fantastic song, and probably one of my favorite Cooley lyrics, but I wouldn't say it's a "greatest hit" or one of the first songs I'd recommend to a DBT newbie. Was it in a movie or something? Did Justin Timberlake recommend it on Twitter?

I remember hearing it as background music on Rectify, but I don't think that show was nearly popular enough to drive that many listeners to a song.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for the heads up Clams. I missed your post the first time. I'm determined not to let all my good times be in the past.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I dunno, I think it is "greatest hits" worthy and is a particularly great showcase of the mellower side of DBT. I can't explain it's popularity relative to other songs, but I'm not really surprised. It also seems to be the most played cut off EO.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Maybe it was featured on one of those built-in Spotify "Best of Americana" playlists at some point. That tends to drive plays way up.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Clams wrote:If you jump to about the 46:50 mark of this video (from last month's show at Union Transfer in Philly), Cooley gives an intro that sheds some good light on what's behind this song.
Wow.
Jorge Luis Borges wrote:Limits

There is a line of Verlaine that I will not be able to remember.
There is a street nearby that is widowed of my footsteps,
there is a mirror that has seen me for the last time,
there is a door that I have closed until the end of the world.
Among the books of my library (I am looking at them)
there is one that I will never open now.
This summer I will be fifty years old;
Death is wearing me away, relentless.

Límites

Hay una línea de Verlaine que no volveré a recordar.
Hay una calle próxima que está vedada a mis pasos,
hay un espejo que me ha visto por última vez,
hay una puerta que he cerrado hasta el fin del mundo.
Entre los libros de mi biblioteca (estoy viéndolos)
hay alguno que ya nunca abriré.
Este verano cumpliré cincuenta años;
La muerte me desgasta, incesante.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Smitty wrote:I dunno, I think it is "greatest hits" worthy and is a particularly great showcase of the mellower side of DBT. I can't explain it's popularity relative to other songs, but I'm not really surprised. It also seems to be the most played cut off EO.
Yeah, I hesitated to use that phrase because I didn't intend it as my personal judgment on the quality of the song at all; it's absolutely one of my favorites too. It was based more on an attempted "objective" read of the catalog and fanbase. Mostly I was just musing to procrastinate some work I was putting off last night, so thanks for indulging me in any case.

And to clarify the part of my statement that may have seemed more like a judgment (not using it as a DBT gateway drug), that could be a reflection on the kinds of people I tend to be trying to convert: people more attuned to the punk/indie side who might tune out if something sounds a little "too country" for their liking.
Duke Silver wrote:Maybe it was featured on one of those built-in Spotify "Best of Americana" playlists at some point. That tends to drive plays way up.
This seems like a great explanation.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs