3 Nights at the Fillmore San Francisco, CA 11/20,21 & 22

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: 3 Nights at the Fillmore San Francisco, CA 11/20,21 & 22

Post by beantownbubba »

WOW.

There are already ten thousand people swearing they were there. By the time the album comes out that will be fifty thousand. After that the sky's the limit.

WOW.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

HELL YEAH DBT!!!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

They should just release last night's show as the live record. Two discs, easy and done.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:WOW.

There are already ten thousand people swearing they were there. By the time the album comes out that will be fifty thousand. After that the sky's the limit.

WOW.

Yes, and we weren't and will have to own up to that forever. What's jonicont say? Always go
to the show? Yeah, damn. ;)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Amazing setlist! Probably the first epic show since Richmond in March. We would have taken a financial hit going to these shows for awhile, but I'll regret not going for a very long time! This thread has really gotten me excited about Homecoming (which I hope they announce soon), not that I needed any additional excitement.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Yes, and we weren't and will have to own up to that forever.

I'll back your lie if you back mine.

brett27295 wrote:This thread has really gotten me excited about Homecoming

Yes, at least there's homecoming to look forward to.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

This post is about how rock and roll saved my life as an adult.

Epic.

If I could write like Patterson, maybe I'd be able to come up with the words to describe this weekend.
But I can't.
Thank you DBT for giving so much more than I can ever repay. This was truly special. This was life affirming.

Met and spent some quality time with some truly quality people. The afterglow will last for a long, long time.
Ain't no better way to live in the moment than to see the Truckers live.

As my Friend and travelling partner says, always go to the show.

Until next time .......

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:They should just release last night's show as the live record. Two discs, easy and done.

I said the same thing to Whatwouldcooleydo about half way through the show last night. This WAS the best show I've seen by any band!! They restored my faith in Rock-n-Roll once more. I'll write more later.
Last edited by bovine knievel on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:WOW.

WOW.

Yes, and we weren't and will have to own up to that forever. What's jonicont say? Always go
to the show? Yeah, damn. ;)

Sorry I missed you guys while I was in San Fransisco this week. Maybe next time.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Holy shitballs, what a set list! I'll be forever filled with regret for missing these shows. I love hearing all of your updates and reports, thanks for keeping us posted. I can't wait for this album!

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thank you all very much for the setlists, pictures and updates. Although I am still angry I could not make it happen, it is nice to know that this band has the power to make me so excited for a show and now a release, I'm looking forward to it! Just curious if Wes did a poster for this show and if the Fillmore handed any out as well. If anyone has one and feels like snapping a pic and posting it at your convenience that would be great to see. I hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

walthers wrote:Thank you all very much for the setlists, pictures and updates. Although I am still angry I could not make it happen, it is nice to know that this band has the power to make me so excited for a show and now a release, I'm looking forward to it! Just curious if Wes did a poster for this show and if the Fillmore handed any out as well. If anyone has one and feels like snapping a pic and posting it at your convenience that would be great to see. I hope everyone has a safe trip home.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

walthers wrote:Thank you all very much for the setlists, pictures and updates. Although I am still angry I could not make it happen, it is nice to know that this band has the power to make me so excited for a show and now a release, I'm looking forward to it! Just curious if Wes did a poster for this show and if the Fillmore handed any out as well. If anyone has one and feels like snapping a pic and posting it at your convenience that would be great to see. I hope everyone has a safe trip home.

As Kudzu posted, Wes did make a kick ass poster. The Fillmore didn't hand out posters. I don't think the shows sold out.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wow! That was insane! So great! The setlist speaks for itself.
Patterson & Cooley had some stage banter that was also very cool.
Cooley introducing MUEO with a story about his home town & how Jimmy Carter was visiting & the KKK were formed on the same day. A source of embarrassment for his town, & he was sure the KKK were not wearing Jimmy Carter political buttons.

Patterson introduced ENL with the full back story, along with the BOS story.

Patterson gave a shout out to Bill for 200 shows & Jonicont for 100. He followed that with thanks to all the people who traveled, from Scotland, New Haven & who knows where else. He met somebody outside his hotel who came from China!
He mentioned this as he wanted to thank everyone for coming & really appreciated the support. Of Course Cooley piped up & asked if anyone was actually from San Francisco. Then he asked if anyone was from Oakland. A few cheers went up & he said now that's traveling!

When Patterson introduced the band, he called Jay the Swiss army knife of musicians. That line really cracked me up.
Jonicont wasn't kidding about the end of the show. They were going to keep going but Marty held up a sign that said 2:00 hard curfew. Near the end of Angels I saw Patterson making the sign to cut, they didn't have time to walk off one by one.
They took a bow together at the end. After that, the 3dd gang in the front row got an extra treat. Patterson came over & offered sips of Tequila to people he hand picked. He also gave UR a beer. Lorna had the best expression, wish I could have taken a picture. She had a sip of Tequila & made the funniest face & said that's awful! I thought Patterson would bust a gut laughing! Jay came over to shake hands & Matt Patton did as well, & I got a hug from him.

What a way to end the weekend & an epic night of rock!

Thank you to the band & crew for everything! Congrats on what I know will be a killer live album.

Thanks also to all the amazing people of 3dd, I can't think of better people to share a very special 3 night run with.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

The Fillmore handed out posters on Thurs night. Mine is already packed so I'll take a photo when we get home. It was a bit disappointing. It was not DBT specific. You know those games where you put your money in, move the crane & try to pick up a toy & drop it in a slot? It was like that. All the toys had the name of the band & the dates of the show. So it had a ton of bands on it, going as far back as Sept.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

uncle rickey wrote:Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
Goode's Field Road
Pulaski
Runaway Train
3 Dimes Down
Sinkhole
Primer Coat
Shit Shots Count*
Everybody Needs Love*
Marry Me*
Mercy Buckets*
When the Pin Hits the Shell*
A World of Hurt*
First Air of Autumn
Box of Spiders
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Gravity's Gone
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Used to be a Cop
Love Like This
Grand Canyon

*with Ralph Carney on saxophone, Darren Johnson on trumpet, and Allen Williams on trombone

At the end of Grand Canyon, after Patterson put down his guitar & started to walk off stage, he paused & sat down & played keys for a minute or two. Very cool!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Wow ya'll - what a run! Glad it lived up to expectations. Can't wait for the album.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

uncle rickey wrote:Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Pauline Hawkins
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
Made Up English Oceans
Daddy Needs a Drink
Uncle Frank
Puttin' People on the Moon
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Used to be a Cop
Shit Shots Count*
Everybody Needs Love*
Marry Me*
Mercy Buckets*
When the Pin Hits the Shell*
A World of Hurt*
First Air of Autumn
Tornadoes
A Ghost to Most
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Zip City
Ronnie and Neil
Sounds Better in the Song
Box of Spiders
Get Downtown
Angels and Fuselage

*with Ralph Carney on saxophone, Darren Johnston on trumpet, and Allen Williams on trombone

Hard curfew of 2 am meant the band had to shorten the encore. I am not joking about that.

Holy shit, that is an epic setlist. The live album is going to be awesome!

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Clams wrote:They should just release last night's show as the live record. Two discs, easy and done.

I second this.

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

I can't put into words how amazing the last three nights were. I got to meet and remeet so many Heathens from the Internets. Adding that 3rd dimension was real nice. The Fillmore District is like my second home. Saw DBT for the first time at The Fillmore in 2002. To walk those streets the past three days and see all y'all strolling about was a beautiful thing.

I'm having hugs withdrawal.

What a beautiful time.

Love,

JPW

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

One of my oldest and dearest friends saw his first rock show on Saturday nite. He didn't have much to say. Just this: "I get it. Wow."

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thank you very much for the pic kudzu g, that is a nice one for sure! Cooleygirl, thanks for the description of the Fillmore one, that is a bummer it was generic. I was hoping for one like they gave out back in '11 with the legs hanging from the tree, that one was original and specific and is still hanging in my house. I appreciate the response.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Damn! I cried myself to sleep last night!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jonicont wrote:Well, I retired 11 months ago. Can't think of a better way to close out my Year of DBT with show #100 tonight
I hate you....on both the retirement and 100th show front.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Hud

Post by Hud »

:lol: :lol: :lol: second that emotion!
Rocky wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Well, I retired 11 months ago. Can't think of a better way to close out my Year of DBT with show #100 tonight
I hate you....on both the retirement and 100th show front.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I have so much I'd like to say about these shows....but I've lost my voice.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

cheffy541

Post by cheffy541 »

well well well....

what a run. Nice to meet some of you 3dd folk at the fabulous Fillmore. That was the single most epic run of DbT I have ever seen. Each night was great but Saturday was hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock. 3.5 hours of extreme bliss. That love scrum down front during the ENL was out of control, and fun. Ya'll are a great group. names are evading me except for jonicont and john from scotland, love that dude. Patterson's shout out about Beijing was for my friend tim who came fri/sat....until he fainted and then left before he got the shout out....(((tim)))

This is gonna be a great cd....now to convince tptb to let me bail to homecoming....

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

It was great to meet some of you this weekend. Want to share the following background and a thought I had.

I grew up about 250 miles north of San Francisco. Hence the handle. I was too young to personally experience the 60's SF music scene, but enough of the sounds and feel filtered it's way up to the Woods that as soon as I was old enough I was lying to my parents constantly as to why my buddies and I were going down to the city. I saw more Giants/A's/Raiders/49er's games that I really never saw...and the ones I did see I usually was hungover from the night before.

Anyway, Winterland was the destination. It wasn't too far from this Fillmore. For any that might not know, Winterland was the SF rock house in the 70's. It was an old skating rink. GA with a wood floor and a horseshoe balcony. I was lucky enough to see Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Neil Young (in several band incarnations), The Band, Marshall Tucker, the Dead, the Allman Bros, Clapton, The Who, Skynyrd, and many others there. You all might have seen some pictures hanging at the Fillmore this weekend that were shots from Winterland. The one of the Who (It was hanging on the right just as you walked from the lobby into the downstairs long bar that ran along the left of the room) is a great shot.

As the 70's were closing those type of acts could sell out the Cow Palace, the Oakland Arena and Bill Graham's Day's on the Green at the Coliseum. Winterland's days were numbered, the Bay Area sound got more associated with crap like Huey Lewis and the snooze, Greg Kihn and the 3rd incarnation of Journey. I moved to SoCal and the wrecking ball eventually hit Winterland. When the Raiders moved to LA, I said scew it, I guess I'm a southern Californian now. That's where I had the pleasure of seeing the roots/punk scene up close in the 80's with bands like Los Lobos, Lone Justice, the Blasters, the Beat Farmers, the Paladins, Comanche Moon, Mojo, early Social D etc. I lost track of Bay Area music.

So anyway, acknowledging the fact that I have not seen a show in SF (except for a few Outside Lands festivals) in 30 years, with all the photos in the auditorium of the great bands that have passed through, has there been a better experience between a band and an audience in the city than Saturday night, let alone 3 nights in a row? Rock isn't like sports where you know the winner, but Saturday ranks right up there with Bruce and the Who as the best show I ever saw in the city.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Humboldt wrote:but Saturday ranks right up there with Bruce and the Who as the best show I ever saw in the city.

AMEN
Always go to the show