Track of the week #147 - Hearing Jimmy Loud

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Track of the week #147 - Hearing Jimmy Loud

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
After a little online research,

Everything after "research" is disqualified. It's a pop song not by Bob Dylan, not a term paper. Or put another way, anything that can be weighed can be weighed in grams even if Americans don't believe it but that doesn't mean that the reference might be to anything.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:

Everything after "research" is disqualified. It's a pop song not by Bob Dylan, not a term paper. Or put another way, anything that can be weighed can be weighed in grams even if Americans don't believe it but that doesn't mean that the reference might be to anything.

"...but the groups real International breakthrough came only after converting from US to SI units. - It became necescarry, frontmann Paterson Hood said in a press statement. Cooley is currently in the process of rewriting Zip City and a new version will be recorded as soon as we can figure out the conversoin factors of miles and gallons to kilometers and liters..."
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:

Well, I wasn't going to go out and slowly self-dose myself with meth till my brain was addled to figure out whether the figure was plausible or not. And my "research" about heroin dosage was just thinking back over all the books--fiction, mostly--I'd read that went into the details. So sue me.

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

"...but the groups real International breakthrough came only after converting from US to SI units. - It became necescarry, frontmann Paterson Hood said in a press statement. Cooley is currently in the process of rewriting Zip City and a new version will be recorded as soon as we can figure out the conversoin factors of miles and gallons to kilometers and liters..."

It'll be an easy conversion, since they'll still be 350 heads on a 305 engine and her brother will still have ten fingers and ten toes.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It's definitely meth or coke. Being this day and age (and Alabama), it's probably meth.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I love the weird bass line on this one. Weird to these ears anyway.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I love this song.

On one hand it is a cautionary tale about never growing up but in true DBT fashion the narrator never takes the position that he is any better than the guy he is singing about. Just "learning, luck and half sense" separate him from Jimmy.

The other thing is the way the song ends. The narrator might allow Jimmy to commiserate a bit but in the end he gets no sympathy when he complains about having to support his baby. Despite the shared rock and roll background of the two the narrator concurs with society's position that the baby is the most important person in the song. If you don't want to support a baby don't make one.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm really sad to see that HJL seems to have fallen out of the Rock Show rotation. One of my favorites from EO. Heard it today on Sirius, though. Guess it wasn't going over all that well live. Hope to hear it at Homecoming.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Markalanbishop wrote:I'm really sad to see that HJL seems to have fallen out of the Rock Show rotation. One of my favorites from EO. Heard it today on Sirius, though. Guess it wasn't going over all that well live. Hope to hear it at Homecoming.

Yeah I hear ya. I've always really liked this song. I'm surprised that it isn't being played anymore. I hope they break it out at Homecoming too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RMD wrote:I love the weird bass line on this one. Weird to these ears anyway.

Something I love about this song live is watching that line pass between Matt and Jay. It's nothing fancy, just perfect for the moment.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

After repeated listenings, this still holds up for me. Just listened 3 times in a row focused on Cooley's outro solo. Know others disagree, but this one of my favorite Cooley guitar freak outs.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.