"Where Has The Free Bird Flown"--article in book

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

"Where Has The Free Bird Flown"--article in book

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I just finished this book, White Masculinity in the Recent South, and the last article is on Lynyrd Skynyrd and Southern Rock Opera. (An imprecise summary but good enough.) Has anyone else read this? I was not terribly impressed, but maybe I got a button pushed and didn't give it a fair shot.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Re: "Where Has The Free Bird Flown"--article in book

Post by Cole Younger »

The title of the book has me interested. May have to pick that one up.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Re: "Where Has The Free Bird Flown"--article in book

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:The title of the book has me interested. May have to pick that one up.

I checked it out for the one article. There was other interesting stuff in it. Larry Brown, among others, is discussed in a long article on coming-of-age stories shifting from awakening-to-racism narratives to trauma recovery narratives. (Ironically for me, I believe the only writer mentioned therein I've read is Dorothy Allison. I own two copies, one signed, of one of her two books mentioned.) It was worth the reading but I'm not sure how avidly I recommend it. It's a collection of academic writing meant to be read by a wider audience, an intention which I admire immensely at which it pretty much succeeds, but it was still a borrower and not a buyer for me.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be