12:01

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

12:01

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: 12:01

Post by RolanK »

Cool!

Couple of questions/observation:

1. Seems like it's the middle of the night. My impression prior to seeing this was that the liquor store opened at noon?

2. Car appears to be driving in the left side of the road
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RolanK wrote:Cool!

1. Seems like it's the middle of the night. My impression prior to seeing this was that the liquor store opened at noon?

12:01am. Blue laws in some states say you can't sell liquor on a Sunday, so some stores open at 12:01 am on Monday
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:

12:01am. Blue laws in some states say you can't sell liquor on a Sunday, so some stores open at 12:01 am on Monday

Thanks, guess I've been interpreting this song based on my own experience with local liquor laws where they would be open only a few hours during daytime. I know the lyrics say that he stay at Billy Ringo's till dawn but in my head I must have made that like a 20 hours something binge party
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

After reading this post I had to listen to 12:01 again and wound up listening to the whole shebang. Hard to explain, but HLRITD continues to grow on me. The best release of 2012. Still kicking myself for missing PH solo during the promotional tour. Oh well, at least I can look forward to the show in Louisville on Sept. 12.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

OkieinTexas wrote:After reading this post I had to listen to 12:01 again and wound up listening to the whole shebang. Hard to explain, but HLRITD continues to grow on me. The best release of 2012. Still kicking myself for missing PH solo during the promotional tour. Oh well, at least I can look forward to the show in Louisville on Sept. 12.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was a bit underwhelmed when it was released, but last Fall I found myself reaching for it a lot. It's a really well sequenced effort that creates a strong mood and feel that just fits those fringe undertones of the Fall season. Fall has always been my favorite season, but there's an element to it that belies the resignation that winter's coming, and HLRITD really conjures up a similar feeling.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I was one of a lucky fairly small group who saw the first public airing of some of these songs in Waverly in 2011.

http://www.patchndent.com/?cat=26

Great show.
Yes, 12:01 refers to 12:01 am. Nothing is easy in AL.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I really like this. It was done by the same person that did the illustrated version of "Zip City". It's incomplete as the artist wasn't sure how Patterson would feel about it. According to the comments and a post from the official Drive-By Truckers YouTube channel, Patterson gave him his blessing but it remains unfinished (at least to the best of my knowledge). I also thought it would be cool if Wes were do some animated videos which would put a fully animated version of Southern Rock Opera at the top of my wishlist. That said, I'm sure it would be a whole lot of work and he just may not be into that sort of thing. Seems like it would be a natural though since it was originally conceived as a screenplay. Perhaps this fellow is the man for the job.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Zip City wrote:

And somewhat based on fact. Chazz Package Store in Sheffield would open up at 12:01 and there would be a quite a few waiting outside. If Monday was a holiday then it would be a pretty big crowd. People would be in the parking lot throwing frisbee and whatnot.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:After reading this post I had to listen to 12:01 again and wound up listening to the whole shebang. Hard to explain, but HLRITD continues to grow on me. The best release of 2012. Still kicking myself for missing PH solo during the promotional tour. Oh well, at least I can look forward to the show in Louisville on Sept. 12.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was a bit underwhelmed when it was released, but last Fall I found myself reaching for it a lot. It's a really well sequenced effort that creates a strong mood and feel that just fits those fringe undertones of the Fall season. Fall has always been my favorite season, but there's an element to it that belies the resignation that winter's coming, and HLRITD really conjures up a similar feeling.

Ok so it was you that said that. I was going to post that I remember someone here describing Heat Lightning perfectly by saying that it was a perfect Fall record. That is dead on the money. I liked it when it came out but I like it a lot more now. Fall is also my favorite season.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.