Outsiders perspective of all this

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

C Peters

Outsiders perspective of all this

Post by C Peters »

Just had to throw this out there. I was so pumped for the Burlington show, like the highlite of the summer, knew I was going to have too much fun so I secured a safe ride. Said safe ride was sort of a casual friend who just jumped on it after I said I'd get her a ticket and pay for gas. So she comes to pick me up in this cute little summer dress looking over the top gorgeous, no idea about DBT. I mean she made the rest of the place look rough. So I'm listening to the show right now and it's coming back to me and I'm just wondering what the fuck she must think about a dude who loves these guys. Little does she know I get in like 40 hrs a week of these guys... You can really tell a lot about someone by the music they are into. How do you explain this? I'm just laughing so hard imagining her now as I was rocking the fuck out!

beantownbubba

Re: Outsiders perspective of all this

Post by beantownbubba »

C Peters wrote:Just had to throw this out there. I was so pumped for the Burlington show, like the highlite of the summer, knew I was going to have too much fun so I secured a safe ride. Said safe ride was sort of a casual friend who just jumped on it after I said I'd get her a ticket and pay for gas. So she comes to pick me up in this cute little summer dress looking over the top gorgeous, no idea about DBT. I mean she made the rest of the place look rough. So I'm listening to the show right now and it's coming back to me and I'm just wondering what the fuck she must think about a dude who loves these guys. Little does she know I get in like 40 hrs a week of these guys... You can really tell a lot about someone by the music they are into. How do you explain this? I'm just laughing so hard imagining her now as I was rocking the fuck out!

Ummmm, why don't you ask her?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Afraid to hear the answer. These guys speak to all of us on some level obviously. And there is a relatively disproportionate amout of dark material here. I'm not a dark person by nature, but they have really helped me through some tough, hard, dark times and still do, that's why I keep going back. I don't know, it was just a weird thing that kind of made me see everything from the perspective of someone going into that cold, and finding it sort of odd. Still can't get enough...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why do you assume she's not a convert? She wouldn't be the first to be won over by the rock show.

Edit: Altho i have to say that i took 4 newbies to the Boston show a few months ago and they all loved it. Yet when i saw them all this wkend and mentioned going to the Asbury Park show (not even mentioning the 3 shows i went to in 5 days in 3 different states), what I mostly got back was "huh? and "really?" so who knows?

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Excellent point about being a potential convert. Maybe. Even though this wasn't meant to be a date, I wouldn't recommend a DBT show as a first date if both parties weren't already acclimated. Risky.

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

I am suddenly aware of how revealing being a DBT fan is

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

I may just have to move to Vermont. "Over-the-top gorgeous" and "willing to go to a DBT show" is a pretty solid start.

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Very distracting.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Nearly every form of entertainment/art I enjoy is "dark", in fact most are a lot darker than DBT. I've never really considered nor cared how it makes me appear.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Flea

Post by Flea »

C Peters wrote:Just had to throw this out there. I was so pumped for the Burlington show, like the highlite of the summer, knew I was going to have too much fun so I secured a safe ride. Said safe ride was sort of a casual friend who just jumped on it after I said I'd get her a ticket and pay for gas. So she comes to pick me up in this cute little summer dress looking over the top gorgeous, no idea about DBT. I mean she made the rest of the place look rough. So I'm listening to the show right now and it's coming back to me and I'm just wondering what the fuck she must think about a dude who loves these guys. Little does she know I get in like 40 hrs a week of these guys... You can really tell a lot about someone by the music they are into. How do you explain this? I'm just laughing so hard imagining her now as I was rocking the fuck out!

Just fly your freak flag and don't worry about what the other fucker thinks.
Now it's dark.

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

I hear you and that is standard operating procedure but when it comes to hot, tan girls in party dresses all that shit goes right out the window

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

C Peters wrote:I hear you and that is standard operating procedure but when it comes to hot, tan girls in party dresses all that shit goes right out the window

I understand completely.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

C Peters wrote:I hear you and that is standard operating procedure but when it comes to hot, tan girls in party dresses all that shit goes right out the window

Alright, enough.

This conversation has reached and surpassed the WWOP point. Post 'em or fold 'em.

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Fuck, I'm assuming that is women without pictures and I don't need to be beat up anymore than I've already done to myself. None taken by myself so let your imagination roam:) Ugh I'm going to work on this tomorrow...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

C Peters wrote:Fuck, I'm assuming that is women without pictures and I don't need to be beat up anymore than I've already done to myself. None taken by myself so let your imagination roam:) Ugh I'm going to work on this tomorrow...

Close enough for govt work: Worthless W/Out Pictures, so now you're on the clock LOL

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I really don't understand at all where you're going with this. She got dressed up pretty to go to a rock show with you (yay you!) and, when you got there, the joint ROCKED. And you rocked, too. If that happened to me, I'd be ecstatic. A great band, and a guy who loves them and shows his real self while they're playing. She probably thought you were fun and sincere and that you have excellent taste in music.

And women.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Flea

Post by Flea »

one belt loop wrote:

I really don't understand at all where you're going with this. She got dressed up pretty to go to a rock show with you (yay you!) and, when you got there, the joint ROCKED. And you rocked, too. If that happened to me, I'd be ecstatic. A great band, and a guy who loves them and shows his real self while they're playing. She probably thought you were fun and sincere and that you have excellent taste in music.

And women.

On the other hand, she might have been expecting Coldplay.
Now it's dark.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Flea wrote:

On the other hand, she might have been expecting Coldplay.

Surely he had some sort of inkling before taking her to that show.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

phungi

Post by phungi »

C Peters wrote:Fuck, I'm assuming that is women without pictures...

If we have learned anything, it is that a picture is hard to beat...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:

And women.

Only one expert has chimed in on this so far. I recommend you adopt her point of view.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Yep, thanks for that Belt Loop. I going to go with that as my working assumption. Sorry for the JV type post.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I don't think I've ever brought a gal to a DBT show, but if I found one who was willing to go, and looked damn good doing it, I'd be pretty thrilled. As for the dark nature of some of the music, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. DBT takes a few listenings before people usually "get" it, and usually the sum of all the parts are more than the occasional tune about incest, moonshining, dealing drugs, suicide, and crime. I'd say the only danger to a pretty gal with good sensibilities at a DBT show are boozed up hooligans like me being so impressed that we try to cut in. Moral of the story, quit over thinking things.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

You really seem to have picked up on exactly what I was getting at, Oakley, I appreciate the feedback. And I am somewhat if an overthinker. As for the game board, not quite sure about the symbolism

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

C Peters wrote:I am somewhat if an overthinker.

Welcome to the club.

Perhaps a good "Not about self destruction, easy to appreciate" DBT mix is order for her. Not necessarily my favorite songs, but easy on the pallet, but also not about people dying or dealing drugs.

I do Believe
Carl Perkins Cadillac
Get Downtown
The Righteous Path
Zip City
TVA
Santa Fe
Marry Me
Wednesday
Goddamn Lonely Love
Pauline Hawkins
Mercy Buckets
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

So, she volunteered to be a sober driver (not all that fun for the driver) to go see a band she knows nothing about (dicey at best whether you'll like a band you've never heard) and showed up all put together with a dress on. From your description of the whole event, there's a pretty decent possibility that she doesn't give a rat's ass about DBT or that you like them.

You're obviously at least intrigued by her ("tan girls in party dresses and all that shit goes right out the window"). If she seemed to have a good time at DBT, I think it's time to pick up the phone and thank her for driving, for being a good sport and getting you home safely; tell her you enjoyed her company and suggest that the two of you get together for something else (not a concert---somewhere that the two of you can better interact).

If that's unwelcome advice, feel free to tell me to throw myself off Lookout Mountain.
Let the outside air in

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Update: So I asked her what she thought about the show, didn't know if maybe it was a bit weird going into that cold. Response: "Cold? As I recall it was hot!" Now this is just plain fun..

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I don't think I've ever brought a gal to a DBT show, but if I found one who was willing to go, and looked damn good doing it, I'd be pretty thrilled.

Me either, but I met one outside the Fillmore a few years ago. We've been friends ever since.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A former girlfriend of mine liked DBT (on record and in concert) but they were definitely an acquired taste for her. There were dividing lines in what we liked, however. If she didn't like them enough to attend their shows she never would have gone. If only I had exercised that same sort of tact to some degree, I never would have attended that Duran Duran concert in 2008.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

If I was making a mix for a possible "interest", I'd send her this one:

Why Henry Drinks
Go Go Boots
Lookout Mtn
Demonic Possession
PPOTM
Zoloft
Tough Sell
Days of Graduation