Wilmington -Greenfield Lake Ampitheater

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Wilmington -Greenfield Lake Ampitheater

Post by beantownbubba »

PrettyLittleDish wrote:Same here! It will be my first DBT show!
Now THAT is exciting! Have a great time. Introduce yourself - figure 50% of the rail will be 3dd'ers.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Might be something special tonight. Sounfchecked Runaway Train and Go the Distance

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Beautiful night and great show.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Fantastic show. Runaway Train & White Knuckle West Virginia
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

PrettyLittleDish

Post by PrettyLittleDish »

Jim&Jewell wrote:Beautiful night and great show.
Yes, it was! For my first show, I couldn't have been happier! Great venue, amazing songs and home by 10pm!

We were there early enough to hold the rail, but didn't make it down there...maybe next time!

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Edit: Corrected Setlist

Primer Coat
Pauline Hawkins
Women Without Whiskey
Goode's Field Road
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway's Mean)
When He's Gone
Shit Shots Count
Feb 14
First AIr of Autumn
A World of Hurt
Natural Light
Runaway Train
Gravity's Gone
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Marry Me
Whiteknuckle, WV
Get Your Ass On The Plane
Grand Canyon
Last edited by Tyler on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Thanks Tyler! I knew you would come through. Good to see you again. Good to see everyone again. Thanks for inquiring about Jewell. If all goes well she should make Homecoming. Rock on, Heathens! Time to shake out the cobwebs. Hair of the mutt.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Hud

Post by Hud »

PrettyLittleDish wrote:
Jim&Jewell wrote:Beautiful night and great show.
Yes, it was! For my first show, I couldn't have been happier! Great venue, amazing songs and home by 10pm!

We were there early enough to hold the rail, but didn't make it down there...maybe next time!
The vocals were not good down front, I gave it up after a few song and went back near the tapers where the sound/vocals were great
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Hud

Post by Hud »

Jim&Jewell wrote:Thanks Tyler! I knew you would come through. Good to see you again. Good to see everyone again. Thanks for inquiring about Jewell. If all goes well she should make Homecoming. Rock on, Heathens! Time to shake out the cobwebs. Hair of the mutt.
Jim , nice meeting you outside after the show. Let me know next time you are up this way for a show

Hud

Post by Hud »

Tyler wrote:Edit: Corrected Setlist

Primer Coat
Pauline Hawkins
Women Without Whiskey
Goode's Field Road
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway's Mean)
When He's Gone
Shit Shots Count
Feb 14
First AIr of Autumn
A World of Hurt
Natural Light
Runaway Train
Gravity's Gone
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Marry Me
Whiteknuckle, WV
Grand Canyon

Hud

Post by Hud »

Hud wrote:
Tyler wrote:Edit: Corrected Setlist

Primer Coat
Pauline Hawkins
Women Without Whiskey
Goode's Field Road
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway's Mean)
When He's Gone
Shit Shots Count
Feb 14
First AIr of Autumn
A World of Hurt
Natural Light
Runaway Train
Gravity's Gone
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Marry Me
Whiteknuckle, WV
Grand Canyon

Thanks Tyler and nice to meet you finally

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Hud wrote:
The vocals were not good down front, I gave it up after a few song and went back near the tapers where the sound/vocals were great
Yeah I knew when we got there and saw the position of the PA speakers that the vocals wouldn't be perfect right at the stage. But I love the energy up front & any chance we get to be on the rail that's where you'll find us lol.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I didn't think the sound up front was that bad. I mean, it wasn't great but I've dealt with far worse.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tyler wrote:I didn't think the sound up front was that bad. I mean, it wasn't great but I've dealt with far worse.
No it wasn't bad at all. Granted it was probably better in the sweet spot though.

As a general service announcement for everyone...if you want to find the best sounding spot in a venue find the mic stands and the guys taping the show. They usually know where the sweet spot is.

PrettyLittleDish

Post by PrettyLittleDish »

brett27295 wrote:As a general service announcement for everyone...if you want to find the best sounding spot in a venue find the mic stands and the guys taping the show. They usually know where the sweet spot is.
We were literally right beside the tapers on the first two seats to their left. We enjoyed seeing their baby rock out to the Truckers. Gotta start 'em young!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm not sure that there's much that can be done for fans standing in front of* the speakers, but I do know that the Mattador regularly stalks around the venues checking the sound from various locations (and presumably maximizing it to the extent possible for the most people). I consider it (him?) to be yet another part of the "DBT thing."

*I mean that the speakers are actually behind them as they face the stage, not that they're standing directly in front of the speakers.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

They had a couple of wedges down front, but the stage is fairly wide and the mains are WAY out to the side.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

My wife was hanging with Matt during the show and commented to him how good it sounded at the board. His reply was that's the only place it sounds good. As awesome of a place Glamp is, I think it's a little acoustically challenged. Having said that, we had a fantastic time. My almost 11 year old daughter got her first show, worked the rail for a few songs and had a great time. Came home with some new vinyl and another Freed to add to the collection. Runaway Train, Ronnie and Neil, White Knuckle WV, Feb. 14, World of Hurt, and the list goes on. And home by 10! No complaints here, bubba.
beantownbubba wrote:I'm not sure that there's much that can be done for fans standing in front of* the speakers, but I do know that the Mattador regularly stalks around the venues checking the sound from various locations (and presumably maximizing it to the extent possible for the most people). I consider it (him?) to be yet another part of the "DBT thing."

*I mean that the speakers are actually behind them as they face the stage, not that they're standing directly in front of the speakers.

Hud

Post by Hud »

brett27295 wrote:
Tyler wrote:I didn't think the sound up front was that bad. I mean, it wasn't great but I've dealt with far worse.
No it wasn't bad at all. Granted it was probably better in the sweet spot though.

As a general service announcement for everyone...if you want to find the best sounding spot in a venue find the mic stands and the guys taping the show. They usually know where the sweet spot is.
It was only the vocals that were muffled. It wasn't as bad on the rail as it was 5-20' behind the rail for some reason. Really just an observation, not a big deal at all. The sound was great everywhere else, could have been louder. This was the first show at G Amp where the soundboard was moved to the very back, usually it is in the middle of the seats.
It was not the most rockin dbt show I have seen and I felt the show was on the short side......but time flies when you are having a good time and enjoying the band.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

The curfew (9PM weeknights, 9:30 on the weekends) at Greenfield sucks balls.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Hud wrote: It was not the most rockin dbt show I have seen and I felt the show was on the short side......but time flies when you are having a good time and enjoying the band.
I told my fiance Tracy when we were eating after the show that I thought it was an average DBT show up until the point they broke out Runaway Train and White Knuckle, WV that just totally made the night for me. And for the record, I'd take an "average" DBT show over just about anyone with the exception of Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Tyler wrote:The curfew (9PM weeknights, 9:30 on the weekends) at Greenfield sucks balls.
Curfew is 10 on weekends, unless it has been changed...

Yep, 10

9/6/14 Drive By Truckers

Doors: 6:00 pm

Show: 7:00 pm

Curfew: 10:00 pm

I was surprised when they walked off at 8:45 and thought, this is going to be one hell of an encore

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Hrrm, that is surprising. They were definitely using the "we have xx minutes left' hand signals on stage.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Anyone have any idea how many times the band has played White Knuckle, WV? I know Patterson plays it from time to time during his solo shows, but not sure if it was ever a semi-regular in the DBT sets. Here's what Patterson has to say about it:

"Right after I returned home from that first tour, I finished the song. We played it at our next High Hat show and a time or two after that. We also recorded it a time or two, but as of yet it remains somewhat buried."

It's times like these I really miss the "One Of These Days" website.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

brett27295 wrote:Anyone have any idea how many times the band has played White Knuckle, WV? I know Patterson plays it from time to time during his solo shows, but not sure if it was ever a semi-regular in the DBT sets. Here's what Patterson has to say about it:

"Right after I returned home from that first tour, I finished the song. We played it at our next High Hat show and a time or two after that. We also recorded it a time or two, but as of yet it remains somewhat buried."

It's times like these I really miss the "One Of These Days" website.
At one time there was also a lengthy writeup on it at an early version of the DBT's official website. I believe it's also been reposted here.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

In my setlist database, which includes all the old OOTD shows, it was played a grand total of zero times. The performance at Greenfield Lake is almost certainly the only full band performance since at least 2003 or so (about the point where the known setlists start really thinning out - coverage of 2000 and earlier is especially spotty)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tyler wrote:In my setlist database, which includes all the old OOTD shows, it was played a grand total of zero times. The performance at Greenfield Lake is almost certainly the only full band performance since at least 2003 or so (about the point where the known setlists start really thinning out - coverage of 2000 and earlier is especially spotty)
I used to have a version from around 2002 or so which if I remember correctly was not the full band but maybe everyone but Cooley? I could be wrong about that though. I know there were Isbell songs on it. Can't seem to locate it. That's the only thing close to a DBT version I remember and I thought I had remembered Patterson saying that the first time Cooley played on it was a couple years back on the Dimmer Twins Marriage Equality tour. Big Tom might recall that better than I.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tyler wrote:In my setlist database, which includes all the old OOTD shows, it was played a grand total of zero times. The performance at Greenfield Lake is almost certainly the only full band performance since at least 2003 or so (about the point where the known setlists start really thinning out - coverage of 2000 and earlier is especially spotty)
I apologize. I didn't realize that 26miledrive.com has all the setlist data that was part of OOTD.