Patterson On Till He's Dead Or Rises

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

mark lynn
Site Admin

Patterson On Till He's Dead Or Rises

Post by mark lynn »

Passing along from the man:

I thought Rev. Matt did a great job with his interpretation of the song.
It's open ended enough (I would hope) that anyone's interpretations should work for whatever you like.
That said, the central inspiration for me writing the song was that scene in TLPS where Ellen Burstyn tells Jacy that she isn't scary enough to compel that boy into being able to support her in the way she was raised to expect. That scene always really hit a note with me, as when I fell in love with that movie, I had already experienced the receiving end of that situation in more than one relationship.
Pretty much everything in that book and movie rings very true to me.

As for Cooley singing it, people can read whatever bullshit into that they want if it makes them happy.
The truth was I wrote it around a riff on guitar that placed it in a key that was not a good key for me to sing and that happened to be in MC's sweet spot.
I heard the harmony in my head and really wanted to sing that part. Cooley was kickass enough to offer to sing the lead and it took a song that would have been a bonus track and made it a keeper cut for the album.
I way prefer singing harmony anyway and was honored that Cooley thought I had written a song worthy of him singing.

George A. (my beloved Great Uncle that I wrote Sands of Iwo Jima and Heat Lightning about) was a lot like Sam The Lion. He didn't drink and wasn't the former wildass (as far as we know) that Sam was, but his personality was a lot like a cross between Sam the Lion and Atticus Finch.(Maybe a little George Bailey too).

I could probably write five more songs from that same book/movie.

Cooley wrote Birthday Boy, partly inspired by another Peter Bogdonovich film, Paper Moon, specifically Madeline Kahn's character. ("Let Miss Trixie sit up front with her big ole titties".)

DBT=A bunch of geeks.

Have a great June and see you'z soon.
Patterson

brett27295

Re: Patterson On Till He's Dead Or Rises

Post by brett27295 »

I had no idea that Birthday Boy was partially inspired by Paper Moon, which happens to be one of my favorite movies.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

GTO

Re: Patterson On Till He's Dead Or Rises

Post by GTO »

I could probably write five more songs from that same book/movie.

Yes please!
Baby was a blacksheep
Baby was a whore