Cooley, Hood and Isbell together for Terry Pace Benefit

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sirk

Re: Cooley, Hood and Isbell together for Terry Pace Benefit

Post by Sirk »

ford911 wrote:all of keep on smilin' was on the original stream.

Thanks! I went to the full show mp3 and was able to grab the full version of Keep on Smiling.

The full show mp3 is missing parts of Cartoon Gold and Alabama Pines, though. Anyone know of another source that has full versions of those songs? The sound disappears in and out for chunks of those two songs on the full show mp3.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gave this recording a proper listen for the first time this morning, and... WOW. First of all, whoever recorded this did a great job, you really hit the sweet spot, it sounds fantastic. Thanks also to the guy who tracked the recording because that really helps. As for the show, I'm only about 7 songs in and so far it really is wonderful. The songs are great and you can tell they're really enjoying it. After all these years they still play so well together. Loved Jason's intro to Decoration Day and Patterson's reaction to the crowd recognizing the first few notes of Heathens, plus you can tell that they all have a lot of affection for Terry Pace. Can't wait to listen to the rest.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Clams wrote:Gave this recording a proper listen for the first time this morning, and... WOW. First of all, whomever recorded it, great job, you really hit the sweet spot, it sounds fantastic. Thanks also to the guy who tracked the recording because that really helps. As for the show, I'm only about 7 songs in and so far it really is wonderful. The songs are great and you can tell they're really enjoying it. Loved Jason's intro to Decoration Day and Patterson's reaction to the crowd recognizing the first few notes of Heathens. Can't wait to listen to the rest.

The Heathens moment was one of my favorite things all night.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

jr29 wrote:
Clams wrote:Gave this recording a proper listen for the first time this morning, and... WOW. First of all, whomever recorded it, great job, you really hit the sweet spot, it sounds fantastic. Thanks also to the guy who tracked the recording because that really helps. As for the show, I'm only about 7 songs in and so far it really is wonderful. The songs are great and you can tell they're really enjoying it. Loved Jason's intro to Decoration Day and Patterson's reaction to the crowd recognizing the first few notes of Heathens. Can't wait to listen to the rest.

The Heathens moment was one of my favorite things all night.

I turned to SouthCarolinaRed and said, "I can name that tune in one note!"
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm kinda shocked that Jason didn't play Elephant
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Sirk wrote:
ford911 wrote:all of keep on smilin' was on the original stream.

Thanks! I went to the full show mp3 and was able to grab the full version of Keep on Smiling.

The full show mp3 is missing parts of Cartoon Gold and Alabama Pines, though. Anyone know of another source that has full versions of those songs? The sound disappears in and out for chunks of those two songs on the full show mp3.

They cut out on the live stream too.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Give a listen to VW Mule's Audience recording, nothing is missing...

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I couldn't be there, but this stream is delicious.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Sirk

Post by Sirk »

I listened to the whole stream on long drive yesterday. Holy cow does it sound amazing. Thanks to everyone involved with doing such great work on it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Did you see his little tag line at the bottom?

'it started recreational, it ended kinda medical'

As Warren Zevon once said, "I think I've found the ones who are my friends!"
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

roland

Post by roland »

gepman wrote:Give a listen to VW Mule's Audience recording, nothing is missing...

Yeah, it's not as "clean" as the streamgrab, there's more ambient crowd noise, but it's complete.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting. I finally got around to reading it this morning and felt like this needed to be pulled out of the article.

An extremely personal part of the night came after “Women Without Whiskey”. Jason just shook his head and looked over at Cooley with a sadness in his eyes. You could tell that it made him so happy to be playing that song with his old friend, but you could also see the nostalgia take over. At the end of “The Secret to a Happy Ending”, when it becomes evident that Jason can no longer continue on with the band, he says something about missing the songs. I think the quote is “I can always call the guys, but I can’t call the songs“. The reasons for his departure weren’t as clear back then as they are today, but now we know alcohol was a big part it. So when he looked over and thanked Cooley for playing that song, there was true gratitude mixed in with that sadness. Cooley had just let him take a walk with a ghost from his past.

“Thanks for playing that song. Man, that’s a good song. I could just sit and play it at my house, but it just wouldn’t be the same. I’d just be sitting there, playing that song. It would get real weird. My wife would be like ‘What the hell are you doing? Have you started drinking again?‘

Cooley agreed that it would be strange. Everybody laughed. And the night went on from there — through all the albums and up and down that mean highway outside — from Kendale to Space City to the Grand Canyon and beyond. But no matter where those songs took us, they always brought us back to the three singer-songwriters on the stage. The three southern men who ‘make better dads than they did sons‘ might have taken different paths once they passed that county line, but they are always ready to bring it back home when a friend is in need. On this particular Father’s Day, they did so for a friend named Terry Pace, and I’m sure they made their own father’s proud in the process.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky wrote:

Thanks for posting. I finally got around to reading it this morning and felt like this needed to be pulled out of the article.

An extremely personal part of the night came after “Women Without Whiskey”. Jason just shook his head and looked over at Cooley with a sadness in his eyes. You could tell that it made him so happy to be playing that song with his old friend, but you could also see the nostalgia take over. At the end of “The Secret to a Happy Ending”, when it becomes evident that Jason can no longer continue on with the band, he says something about missing the songs. I think the quote is “I can always call the guys, but I can’t call the songs“. The reasons for his departure weren’t as clear back then as they are today, but now we know alcohol was a big part it. So when he looked over and thanked Cooley for playing that song, there was true gratitude mixed in with that sadness. Cooley had just let him take a walk with a ghost from his past.

“Thanks for playing that song. Man, that’s a good song. I could just sit and play it at my house, but it just wouldn’t be the same. I’d just be sitting there, playing that song. It would get real weird. My wife would be like ‘What the hell are you doing? Have you started drinking again?‘

Cooley agreed that it would be strange. Everybody laughed. And the night went on from there — through all the albums and up and down that mean highway outside — from Kendale to Space City to the Grand Canyon and beyond. But no matter where those songs took us, they always brought us back to the three singer-songwriters on the stage. The three southern men who ‘make better dads than they did sons‘ might have taken different paths once they passed that county line, but they are always ready to bring it back home when a friend is in need. On this particular Father’s Day, they did so for a friend named Terry Pace, and I’m sure they made their own father’s proud in the process.

The banter and stories throughout the show are fantastic. Between that and the music, the whole recording is a joy to listen to. My only complaint (and it really isn't one) is that I can't tell who's playing all the different guitar parts.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

Same question... downloading the 2nd, but would love to know what others think...

UPDATE: downloaded one at work, one at home, both sound great
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

backroads

Post by backroads »

tinnitus photography wrote:in my world, anyone who yells this at a show would immediately get a scorching case of crabs.

This happened the other night soooooo many times...I wanted to jump on stage and tell them to STFU!
I don't know why...I like Skynyrd and I like Freebird...but requesting it at every concert you go to just shows your lack of intelligence IMO. I'm not just referring DBT concerts either.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

One year ago today. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jh13 wrote:One year ago today. One of the best shows I've ever seen.
Yep, me too.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

u lucky dudes

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Wasn't this supposed to be released as a recording that you could buy? I swear I remember somebody here saying that they talked to Jason a few weeks later and he said that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Definitely a special night that I was proud to be witness to.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Smitty wrote:Definitely a special night that I was proud to be witness to.
My thoughts exactly, plus I finally got to meet Smitty, Beth, Dean and Corey, not to mention lucking into a private tour of FAME Studios, so overall it was one of my better concert trips.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

This show was definitely one of the highlights of my life. I still get chills every time I think about it.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

One of my favorite memories of that night was the look on Jason's face when he thanked Cooley for playing Women Without Whiskey. Humorous banter followed that was great, but the admiration that proceeded it was priceless. Then, of course, there were the songs. OMG the songs.

John A Arkansawyer

hanklow wrote:One of my favorite memories of that night was the look on Jason's face when he thanked Cooley for playing Women Without Whiskey. Humorous banter followed that was great, but the admiration that proceeded it was priceless. Then, of course, there were the songs. OMG the songs.
Was it Jason who put his arm around Cooley as they left the stage, or was it the other way around? I just remember being touched by it.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: Was it Jason who put his arm around Cooley as they left the stage, or was it the other way around? I just remember being touched by it.
I remember it as Cooley...though not 100% sure.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Cole Younger wrote:Wasn't this supposed to be released as a recording that you could buy? I swear I remember somebody here saying that they talked to Jason a few weeks later and he said that.
I spoke with Jason a few weeks after.....and he indicated at that time that he thought it would be released.......unfortunately not yet.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."