The Truckers need a new pedal steel player

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sactochris

Re: The Truckers need a new pedal steel player

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:I love pedal steel guitar, but at this point in time, I think saying the band needs a new pedal steel player is like saying Magritte should have made the apple a little bit smaller.

Thank you. While my first reaction was What the fuck is he talking about?, then I looked it up and actually learned something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

But I still think they need a pedal steel player.

I thought you were a jackson browne fan.

I am. Very much so. In fact, it's not a coincidence that my son's name is Jackson.

The cover of Late For The Sky, with the "if it's all reet with Magritte" liner note is what started my fascination with the man who remains to this day my favorite painter
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was actually talking to clams, who apparently didn't glean from the Late for the Sky cover what so many of us did.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

sactochris wrote:I love pedal steel guitar, but at this point in time, I think saying the band needs a new pedal steel player is like saying Magritte should have made the apple a little bit smaller.

Could not agree more. I thought about it, I could not agree more. Now if you want to add David Lindley on lap steel if the song calls for it I'm all in. See, for example Jony Two Bag's latest record. Generally speaking, except for hard core country, I'm pretty much over the pedal steel sound.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Markalanbishop wrote:

Could not agree more. I thought about it, I could not agree more. Now if you want to add David Lindley on lap steel if the song calls for it I'm all in. See, for example Jony Two Bag's latest record. Generally speaking, except for hard core country, I'm pretty much over the pedal steel sound.

I love pedal steel guitar, I really do. I would love to hear the band with pedal steel again especially on the upcoming Dirt shows. I just don't feel it's my place to tell an artist how they should express their artistic vision.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:I was actually talking to clams, who apparently didn't glean from the Late for the Sky cover what so many of us did.

I blame Clams for that.

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I was actually talking to clams, who apparently didn't glean from the Late for the Sky cover what so many of us did.

I blame Clams for that.

Fuckin clams.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Blammo wrote:And yeah, that Jaco biography is a bummer. Inspiring at first, then just cautionary tale city.

What really hurt me in it was how often well-meaning people bailed him out, sweet-talked judges, checked him out of hospitals, all with the very best of intentions, and ended up being bit players in a senseless killing, and yet none of the late attempts to save him professionally ever, ever worked out.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

Having watched Jay front his own band and support the DBTs playing piano/organ/guitar/whistle, I imagine he could sit down at a pedal steel guitar and play like a veteran
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:Having watched Jay front his own band and support the DBTs playing piano/organ/guitar/whistle, I imagine he could sit down at a pedal steel guitar and play like a veteran
Don't forget the hand clap on "Drag the Lake, Charlie."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

phungi wrote:Having watched Jay front his own band and support the DBTs playing piano/organ/guitar/whistle, I imagine he could sit down at a pedal steel guitar and play like a veteran

The pedal steel has humbled many a veteran guitar slinger. It takes years to master.

Which is why talk of Jay playing it are silly.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:

The pedal steel has humbled many a veteran guitar slinger. It takes years to master.

I doubt he could just sit down and play it, but I don't doubt he could pick it up relatively quickly if he put his mind to it and had the practice time. He might not be able to, but other human beings do it and he is one talented mofo.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sadly, it seems that they are straying away from that pedal steel sound

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:Sadly, it seems that they are straying away from that pedal steel sound

Which makes me happy. Never cared for the pedal steel live. To each their own...
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Zip City wrote:Sadly, it seems that they are straying away from that pedal steel sound

hey. we agree!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:

Which makes me happy. Never cared for the pedal steel live. To each their own...

I miss it a lot. I think it was their signature sound, and I can't say I prefer the new lineup as much. I think the ideal lineup would be Hood, Cooley, EZB, Jay, Matt and Neff, but that'll never happen

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
brett27295 wrote:

I miss it a lot. I think it was their signature sound, and I can't say I prefer the new lineup as much. I think the ideal lineup would be Hood, Cooley, EZB, Jay, Matt and Neff, but that'll never happen

Wasn't that the lineup after shonna got fired?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Who's to say they won't cycle back to more of a country sound, especially following The Dirt Underneath tour which, apparently is meant, among other things, to be a setting in which they can try out new material. I believe it was Jenn that mentioned long ago that each new album shows another side of the coin. I don't see the follow up to English Oceans being any different. Unless they're readying their black metal record.

John A Arkansawyer

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:I miss it a lot. I think it was their signature sound, and I can't say I prefer the new lineup as much. I think the ideal lineup would be Hood, Cooley, EZB, Jay, Matt and Neff, but that'll never happen

Wasn't that the lineup after Shonna left the band?

Fixed that for you. And yes, it was. I only saw that lineup once. I think the band was better before and is better now. But that was just one show so it's just my opinion and not necessarily a true opinion, and it wasn't that Matt didn't sound good--he did.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Who's to say they won't cycle back to more of a country sound, especially following The Dirt Underneath tour which, apparently is meant, among other things, to be a setting in which they can try out new material. I believe it was Jenn that mentioned long ago that each new album shows another side of the coin. I don't see the follow up to English Oceans being any different. Unless they're readying their black metal record.

Between Troglodyte and Sign O' The Times as encore openers at Homecoming, I'm rooting for a funk record myself.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Zip City wrote:

Having read up a bit, I now realize this is a MUCH more complex instrument than "playing a guitar that is laid flat"... as someone posted in a forum on this topic:

While playing you have to simultaneously use your:

- Left hand to manipulate a steel bar across multiple strings to produce both perfect intonation AND various types of vibrato
- Right hand (almost always with a thumbpick and finger picks) to play complex combinations of strings AND picking patterns
- Left foot to manipulate a series of pedals to change the tuning
- Left knee to manipulate a series of levers to change the tuning
- Right knee to manipulate still more levers to change the tuning
- Right foot to control your volume
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

phungi wrote:Having read up a bit, I now realize this is a MUCH more complex instrument than "playing a guitar that is laid flat"... as someone posted in a forum on this topic:

While playing you have to simultaneously use your:

- Left hand to manipulate a steel bar across multiple strings to produce both perfect intonation AND various types of vibrato
- Right hand (almost always with a thumbpick and finger picks) to play complex combinations of strings AND picking patterns
- Left foot to manipulate a series of pedals to change the tuning
- Left knee to manipulate a series of levers to change the tuning
- Right knee to manipulate still more levers to change the tuning
- Right foot to control your volume

So true! It's like being a one-man band. But you can get a lot of the tone and timbre and so on from a lap steel. If I were Jay (subjunctive so many ways it's silly) and aspired to put some of the pedal sound into my playing, that's what I'd pick up first. They're a lot cheaper than a pedal steel, and more portable, too.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:

I don't remember how quickly they hired Matt....didn't they roll with Barbe for a short while?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

I don't remember how quickly they hired Matt....didn't they roll with Barbe for a short while?

Yep, Homecoming through February 2012 I think. Barbe was still playing in Nashville 2/10-11.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Yep, Homecoming through February 2012 I think. Barbe was still playing in Nashville 2/10-11.

Barbe was still with them then because I saw them in Louisville the night before the Nashville shows and he was there.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Matt was on board by the time they made it out west a month or so later.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

And while we're at it... The Truckers need Congas!

Or as proclaimed from the stage at a rock show that I attended a few days ago: "What happened to Congas beeing banished to Salsa music, while back in the 70's all the great Stones recordings had Congas on them?!"
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

RolanK wrote:And while we're at it... The Truckers need Congas!

Or as proclaimed from the stage at a rock show that I attended a few days ago: "What happened to Congas beeing banished to Salsa music, while back in the 70's all the great Stones recordings had Congas on them?!"

I wonder if the skills of playing a trap set help with playing pedal steel? If so, then a conguera doubling on pedal steel would be something to see.