The Truckers need a new pedal steel player

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The Truckers need a new pedal steel player

Post by Zip City »

The pedal steel is not exclusive to the BTCD/TBTD/GGB run. The first record has it everywhere, and select song on DD as well (it's sublime on The Deeper In)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Zip City wrote:The pedal steel is not exclusive to the BTCD/TBTD/GGB run. The first record has it everywhere, and select song on DD as well (it's sublime on The Deeper In)

Yeah. As bad as it ended, Neff contributions to the band were exquisite. I think he is one of the best slide and steel guitarists of his generation. Why aren't The Star Room Boys better known outside of Athens? His work in that band is as steller as what he did with The Truckers.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:The pedal steel is not exclusive to the BTCD/TBTD/GGB run. The first record has it everywhere, and select song on DD as well (it's sublime on The Deeper In)

I know it. But live they seemed to put it in places it didn't belong during the latter part of that period.

I agree with Iowan that it just started to get too cluttered.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:

Yeah. As bad as it ended, Neff contributions to the band were exquisite. I think he is one of the best slide and steel guitarists of his generation. Why aren't The Star Room Boys better known outside of Athens? His work in that band is as steller as what he did with The Truckers.

I recently played The Star Room Boys for a buddy of mine who loves country. He liked it but not as much as I would have expected. I don't know what it is. And Dave Mahr is a great country singer. If I didn't know he was from Chicago I would swear he was raised on a dirt road in Georgia. I love that band. I wish they had put out more music.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

EO proves that DBT don't "need" a pedal steel player, but some of the songs won't be the same (Heathens, Daddy Needs a Drink, Deeper In, AGTM, etc.). I'd love to see them pick someone up.
I don't have access to it now, but I swear I hear pedal steel on "Walter". Could be my mind playing tricks on me.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The absence of the third guitarist and pedal steel as allowed Jay to contribute more to the band. I would like to see them continue as a five piece for another year or so, then maybe go in another direction. After Isbell left the band became tighter. I would describe both the live and studio sound during this period as "polished without being slick". It certainly had its advantages but perhaps Patterson, Cooley and Morgan felt it had become too limiting. Some songs on English Oceans would benefit from a pedal steel but many, like "Hearing Jimmy Loud", "The Part of Him", "Shit Shots Count" wouldn't have happened without the stripped down, punk style arrangements.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

RevMatt wrote:Some songs on English Oceans would benefit from a pedal steel but many, like "Hearing Jimmy Loud", "The Part of Him", "Shit Shots Count" wouldn't have happened without the stripped down, punk style arrangements.

Very true, but to play devil's advocate, they certainly wouldn't be hurt by a greasy slide guitar bit...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Wake up, you gotta make a change
Gotta dress like one of the levellers
Don't put that song on your album
You don't need no sax in the band
Get yourself a pedal steel player
There's money in the cabaret business
You can't spend all your life
Sittin' on a cloud playing a twelve string

From the "Bad Advice" part of
Lucky Day/Bad Advice
Mike Scott/Waterboys

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

I love the pedal steel, but for the DBT's I think those days are in the past. Personally I have wanted to hear more Jay on keyboards for years, and never knew he could shred on guitar, so I'm a pretty happy camper these days. I don't see this happening, and I think it would be a step back for them. I would love to see somebody sit in for part of a set though, that could be a lot of fun. Then again, I would say the same thing about a horn section or even a some gospel back up singers.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I would gladly welcome either if it would create a more revolving setlist. I would go to 10 shows a year if the setlist would change up. So, I'll only go to 5 :)
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

javamyth wrote:I love the pedal steel, but for the DBT's I think those days are in the past. Personally I have wanted to hear more Jay on keyboards for years, and never knew he could shred on guitar, so I'm a pretty happy camper these days. I don't see this happening, and I think it would be a step back for them. I would love to see somebody sit in for part of a set though, that could be a lot of fun. Then again, I would say the same thing about a horn section or even a some gospel back up singers.

The pedal steel has been in and out of the mix (both live and on record) for as long as the Truckers have been a band. If it were to return (which I sincerely hope it does), I wouldn't see it as any more of a "step back" than when I heard it on "My Sweet Annette" following Alabama Ass Whuppin' and Southern Rock Opera.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RevMatt wrote:Some songs on English Oceans would benefit from a pedal steel but many, like "Hearing Jimmy Loud", "The Part of Him", "Shit Shots Count" wouldn't have happened without the stripped down, punk style arrangements.

Somehow songs like "Sink Hole", "Hell No, I Ain't Happy", "Marry Me" & "Do It Yourself" once found a way to happen alongside a few pedal steel beauties like "Heathens", "My Sweet Annette" & "The "Deeper In". I believe that occurred during "The Neff Era", Version 2.0.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Hud wrote:I would gladly welcome either if it would create a more revolving setlist. I would go to 10 shows a year if the setlist would change up. So, I'll only go to 5 :)

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but they played 59 different songs during the 14 shows of the 2nd leg of the English Oceans Tour. I personally would like to see them break out even more songs, especially the "rare" ones, but all things considered they do a decent job of keeping things fresh.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Would love to see David Lindley sit in for a few gigs -

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Matt Stoessel.
or if Patterson does move to Portland, Paul Brainard.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Howlinwolf wrote:Would love to see David Lindley sit in for a few gigs -

That would be AMAZING.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

one belt loop wrote:
Howlinwolf wrote:Would love to see David Lindley sit in for a few gigs -

That would be AMAZING.

That's a show I'd travel for. As big of a Lindley fan as I am, I've seen him in concert precious few times over the years.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Funny how these things go. I was looking for a good version of this to show someone and the one I still can't believe I missed due to being out of town fits the bill:

It also makes me realize that, yeah, I do miss the steel guitar a little more than I'd realized.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

EZ Dan

Post by EZ Dan »

I didn't really read the thread, but I have always thought Todd Beane from Glossary would be pretty damn good in that slot.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

This thread takes on a little more relevance (and perhaps urgency) with this announcement.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

I'd like to see them bring on a pedal steel player that's as the stature of someone like Spooner Oldham for this tour, especially since it's a one-off type tour. Who that could be is anybody's guess. My guess is, it won't be anybody but I hope I'm wrong. Truckers (especially country Truckers) just aren't the same without that sweet pedal steel.

phungi

Post by phungi »

having watched Jay for 3 nights in Athens, both leading his own band and playing with the Truckers, I can only imagine what he could do with a pedal steel...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

phungi wrote:having watched Jay for 3 nights in Athens, both leading his own band and playing with the Truckers, I can only imagine what he could do with a pedal steel...

The entry cost for a lap steel is (or used to be--I haven't priced one since I gave up the idea of learning it) considerably lower than for a pedal steel. It's not as versatile and instrument, but it's easier to pick up (in both senses of the word--I once carried a pedal steel across the Potomac River) and beautiful to hear.

(Someday, a pedal steel player will do what Jaco did for electric bass. Or maybe one has and I haven't noticed it. Got Jaco on my mind after finishing that biography of him I bought Monday. What a fucking genius. What a fucking asshole. What a fucking waste.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I love pedal steel guitar, but at this point in time, I think saying the band needs a new pedal steel player is like saying Magritte should have made the apple a little bit smaller.
Keep calm and have a cigar

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Someday, a pedal steel player will do what Jaco did for electric bass. Or maybe one has and I haven't noticed it.

Maybe try out BJ Cole? He does some interesting stuff away from the usual country music thing.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:I love pedal steel guitar, but at this point in time, I think saying the band needs a new pedal steel player is like saying Magritte should have made the apple a little bit smaller.

Thank you. While my first reaction was What the fuck is he talking about?, then I looked it up and actually learned something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

But I still think they need a pedal steel player.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sactochris wrote:I love pedal steel guitar, but at this point in time, I think saying the band needs a new pedal steel player is like saying Magritte should have made the apple a little bit smaller.

Yes.

Yesyesyes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

Thank you. While my first reaction was What the fuck is he talking about?, then I looked it up and actually learned something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

But I still think they need a pedal steel player.

I thought you were a jackson browne fan.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I really wish things hadn't ended badly with Neff. I'd like to see him back in the fold
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:(Someday, a pedal steel player will do what Jaco did for electric bass. Or maybe one has and I haven't noticed it. Got Jaco on my mind after finishing that biography of him I bought Monday. What a fucking genius. What a fucking asshole. What a fucking waste.)

She's no Jaco (but really, who is?) but Maggie Bjorklund is doing some pretty interesting stuff on the pedal steel beyond the recycled Nashville licks that lotsa people love to run into the ground. More atmospheric than lick-oriented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvIBBU8bL8

(edit: the above clip isn't exactly representative of her best work, but it's a start. the intro may be a little off-putting so heads up)

Pedal steel is a ridiculous instrument, with seemingly limitless potential. There are so many ways to set up the thing, without even delving into alternate tunings, that it blows my mind.

And yeah, that Jaco biography is a bummer. Inspiring at first, then just cautionary tale city.
have a good time all the time