DBT in PEI, 7/12/2014

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

DBT in PEI, 7/12/2014

Post by uncle rickey »

Playing the Big Red Festival in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, per the book of Face. That'd be a looong road trip to make, but I have to admit it's tempting.

This one's obviously for blessedcurse. ;)

one belt loop

Re: DBT in PEI, 7/12/2014

Post by one belt loop »

Isn't it "on" PEI?

:D
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Indeed...on PEI, but in Charlottetown. Can't believe this turn of events. I was totally bummed about not be able to make Portland or Waterloo.

Although it will likely be a short set in a festival setting, it is so close!!!! Of course, Halifax is not that out of the way when travelling from Ottawa to PEI, so...maybe another Atlantic Canada show. They have been getting some cool reviews in the area. (ie..."come for the power chords, stay for the art")

On the other hand, the lads may wish to get the families there for some VERY low key Maritime summer fun with idyllic postcardish environs.

And Bubba said it wouldn't happen.... ;)

I think I can safely say...IN!!!!
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

one belt loop wrote:Isn't it "on" PEI?
:D
Well, as Prince Edward Island is the name of the province, I think I'm okay here. ;)
blessedcurse wrote:Of course, Halifax is not that out of the way when travelling from Ottawa to PEI, so...maybe another Atlantic Canada show.
I wholeheartedly endorse this suggestion (especially as the rest of the lineup for the fest doesn't blow me away).

http://bigredfest.ca/lineup/

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Fun fact: Dennis Ellsworth, singer songwriter from PEI, made a record with David Barbe in Athens - which may explain this nice turn of events. The only other artist of interest on the bill is Matt Mays - local Halifax boy, who I kinda dig and who knows how to bring the rawk. Him and DBT would make for a fun one two punch. It ain't Ireland and Scotland, but a fairly reasonable facsimile.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

teethdream

Post by teethdream »

I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. I'm going to try to find out how long their slot is.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Can't believe how difficult it is to arrange any takers for this...I may be going solo....

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Lots of mussels, too.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

?????????????????
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

First time playing in Atlantic Canada. Although I can''t quite figure out the rationale behind travelling all that way for eight songs, I'm sure glad they did. Naturally, I would have loved them to play all evening....Crowd had thinned after local rock dude, Matt Mays' set - which actually was quite great...so was able to position myself fairly close - they built the crowd during their set and by PWD, the place was grooving. Real hot sunny summer day. The band seemed to be having a good time and had the Patron out -

Shit Shots Count
When He's Gone
Primer Coat
Box of Spiders - with extended intro, parts of which were new to me
Where the Devil Won't Stay
Pauline Hawkins
MUEO
People Who Died - For Tommy Ramone

We are Drive....By.......Truckers.......motherfuckers

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Only 8 songs? That's short even for a festival set.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

We have family in PEI always clamoring for us to visit. Would have been a great excuse to make the trip had I looked at the tour.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Roscoe14

Post by Roscoe14 »

Hello;

I am a newbie. I had the good fortune of seeing the boys perform, for the first time, on PEI, on the weekend.
Have been listening to a lot of their stuff in my car for the past 3-4 years, and, never thought I'd get to see them in concert. (I live in Nova Scotia, mainland next to Prince Edward Island.)
Highlights for me were, in order -- Primer Coat, Where The Devil Don't Stay, and, People Who Died (which Patterson intro'd as tribute to Tommy Ramone's passing.)
I was searching for other DBT fans before and during the show. Saw 2 other guys on the other side of the crowd, who seemed to know some of the lyrics. Went to see them right after concert, but, they had disappeared.
i chatted with a few other people -- who had never heard of the band -- and they said they enjoyed the show.
My only slight quibble: Festival venue meant only 45 minute set, so, they were finished almost as soon as they really got cooking.
I seemed to be the only wingnut shouting stuff out between songs, and, my repeated request for "The Company I Keep" was understandably ignored.
Lots of fun though. A real bonus for me. After snaking my way to the front of the crowd for DBT, i proceeded to settle in further back for the next band (Death Cab For Cutie) and, by the time headliners, The Killers, came on, I was waaay back. They were both fine -- as was Matt Mays of Halifax -- but I didn't go there to see them.
A great time all around.
So, I am very glad to be, finally, among fellow DBT lovers !

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Roscoe!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Hey Roscoe...would have loved to hang out for a while (I am also a mainland Bluenoser)...if one of those dudes you saw singing along was wearing a doo-rag, that was me. I had to leave during Death Cab - after DBT, they were completely void of any personality. Had great time downtown afterwards though.

Welcome aboard. Might I recommend Homecoming to you - it is really quite accessible - weather permitting of course.