Lockn' Music Festival, Sept 4-7

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

Re: DBT at Lockin' Festival

Post by Rocky »

Beaverdam wrote:My friends raved about this festival last year, but I didn't go. I've been completing a graduate degree and that fact coupled with a three year old and another child on the the way, has hampered my music festival experiences. However, I"m done with school in a few weeks, and I believe that my wife got me a Locken ticket as a graduation gift...the ticket along with the green light to go will definitely be the best one I've ever gotten!!!! I found this out and found out DBT are playing all in the same day.

"It's great to be alive!"

This isn't too far from where you live, right?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

This has totally made my day. Last year was awesome and this year's line up is so much better. I live 20 miles south of Oak Ridge and know the family that owns the farm. The guys who are running Lockn have worked so hard to make this years festival so much more fan (re:entry to Oak Ridge) friendly. Of course, it's gotten a lot of local media coverage and I swear it will be much less of a clusterfuck to get in than last year. The potty scene will be vastly improved too.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I'm gonna make BIll see SCI's set.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Slipkid42 wrote:I'm gonna make BIll see SCI's set.

you and me both, Slip

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Rocky wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:My friends raved about this festival last year, but I didn't go. I've been completing a graduate degree and that fact coupled with a three year old and another child on the the way, has hampered my music festival experiences. However, I"m done with school in a few weeks, and I believe that my wife got me a Locken ticket as a graduation gift...the ticket along with the green light to go will definitely be the best one I've ever gotten!!!! I found this out and found out DBT are playing all in the same day.

"It's great to be alive!"

This isn't too far from where you live, right?

No, not at all. 50 mins. maybe. Last year my friends went and drove home fairly often for showers and more restful sleep/naps.

ramonz

Re: Interlocken Music Festival, Sept 5-8

Post by ramonz »

Gonna be a big day re. new Lock'n announcement. Anyone care to guess?

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

NEIL???

Update: It's Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping for Neil...
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

allisonsdc wrote:NEIL???

Update: It's Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping for Neil...

Petty will be great. Think they are still working on Neil: "We’ve made a very aggressive offer for Neil Young & Crazy Horse to return, and hopefully play this time. Crazy Horse has confirmed dates in Europe prior to our dates and Neil has confirmed Farm Aid a week afterward. We are hopeful that Neil decides to do this again. Therefore we’re going to wait as long as it takes for him to let us know." - Dave Frey, Co-Founder (back in Feb)

Here's to hoping!

Rocky

Re: Lockn' Music Festival, Sept 4-7

Post by Rocky »

Lockn' Music Festival is delighted to announce that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers will headline one of the nights at Lockn' 2014.

I can't fucking take it anymore. I'm buying tickets today.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

ramonz wrote:
allisonsdc wrote:NEIL???

Petty will be great.

You're right. He will be great and I'm not trying to hate on Tom Petty; I think it's a nice addition to the lineup. Just not the one I had in mind.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

DBT Friday night. Boom!

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Anyone who went to Lockn' last year do car camping? I bought a car camping pass because I want to camp in my van, but I was just looking at the event map and it looks like car camping is ridiculously far from the stage. Just wondering how long the walk is from the event site to the car camping entrance.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

allisonsdc wrote:Anyone who went to Lockn' last year do car camping? I bought a car camping pass because I want to camp in my van, but I was just looking at the event map and it looks like car camping is ridiculously far from the stage. Just wondering how long the walk is from the event site to the car camping entrance.

The whole place is huge. A pack of us had bikes and that made things a lot more reasonable. Car camping is probably 1/2 mile from the main stages, but it's not as far as it sounds. The whole area will be buzzing w/ activity, so you will feel a part of it wherever you are. I'd just bring bikes and ride them to/fro the main stages each day. You can lock them on the fence that heads into the ticketed area. If you bring bikes, it will all seem easy - or at least it did for us.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Never considered bringing my bike to a festival, but it's an excellent suggestion. Google maps says it's a 13 minute walk from the entrance to the car camping area to the festival gate, which isn't too bad. But, I never fail to forget to bring something, making it a half-hour commitment for the roundtrip...so a bike definitely sounds like the way to go.

The website now says that FURTHUR is headlining Friday night. Hell yeah!!!! I was hoping that would happen. Now I'm wondering if we'll also get a Hard Working Americans set, since several of the key ingredients will already be in place. I checked Todd Snider's schedule, and it appears that he's available... :D

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Will they just let me sleep by the stage? I won't take up too much room. Hope DBT & Chris Robinson aren't scheduled @ the same time. I was hopin' for a TTB & DBT to play back-to-back too.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Athens Joe

Post by Athens Joe »

Slipkid42 wrote:Will they just let me sleep by the stage? I won't take up too much room. Hope DBT & Chris Robinson aren't scheduled @ the same time. I was hopin' for a TTB & DBT to play back-to-back too.

Look forward to seeing you there Slip. The beauty of this fest is that nobody overlaps. The stages are side by side and as soon as one ends the next one begins, and the sound is piped into both stages. The other stages are away from the main grounds but they're for late night shows only ( I think). I never made it over there last year. Maybe uncle traveling bill did and can correct me if I'm wrong.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I was in my truck today with only FM radio when one of the songs from Live at Filmore East started playing. I just started smiling and considering the fact that in a couple of months I'll be seeing both ABB and DBT at the same festival. In college if folks asked me to pin down my favorite band, I'd have said the Allman Brothers; now I'd say DBT. How cool that I get to see both at the same festival!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

No problem this year but the future looks grim.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Bill in CT wrote:http://www.c-ville.com/smokn-revokn-abc-hammers-lockn-harshest-penalty/#.U9u_28awiX3

What a complete waste of taxpayers money. Wow, people smoking a joint at a rock festival? I can't believe it!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:No problem this year but the future looks grim.

I disagree about this year. W/ the appeal pending, I don't think there's much doubt that the organizers have no choice but to enforce all the rules to the max. Which means serious ID checks for booze buying, moving the topless honeys to somewhere outside the "licensed area" wherever that is and cracking down on drugs, at least to the extent of telling people to put it out/put it away. An absurd charade, but hey what else is new?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:http://www.c-ville.com/smokn-revokn-abc-hammers-lockn-harshest-penalty/#.U9u_28awiX3

What a complete waste of taxpayers money. Wow, people smoking a joint at a rock festival? I can't believe it!

I have no vested interest in this festival but I've followed the story a bit and what it's clearly about is money. The County loves the festival because it brings in revenue and are willing to look the other way when it comes to minor drug use or anything else while the state sees a ton of money it's not getting so it shuts down the liquor license so nobody gets any. I'm guessing that during this two month period since the hearing they were hoping to have their palms greased and the festival was betting that the infractions were so silly that the ABC board couldn't possibly rule against them but they lost.

I went to the first five years of Bonarrroo and there were similar jurisdictional issues there as well. The first two years were the wild, wild west and drugs of every sort were everywhere. At one point I saw someone trying to pay for something reach in his pocket for money and a big bag of weed fell on a county cop's foot. he looked at the cop and who told him to put it away and that all he was concerned about was preventing people from getting hurt. By teh third year there was a much bigger state police presence and there searches, arrests and people had to become much more discreet. At one point I was talking with one of the county cops and he told me the whole thing was because the state wasn't getting a big enough slice of the pie. Not long after that the promoters worked out some long term deals with the state, bought the property and the festival is successful year after year. I haven't been in years and I'm sure the wild, wild west days didn't return but I'm also certain that heavy handedness eased when all the governmental bodies felt like they were getting their fair share. of course the other issue is that it might be about money to the powers that be but their agents may absolutely have some moral outrage going which exacerbates the problem. Because of this ruling I would guess that this one is past the point of no return and the promoters might be looking for a new location.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Sucks that Bob Weir cancelled.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

What!?

Furthur and Ratdog were both going to play on Friday so it's obviously time to move the Trucker slot to later in the day and give them a larger time slot.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The Bob Wier cancellation wasn't due to the ABC issues was it???

I'm hoping the ABC issues don't put too much of a damper on the festival. I've only been to two major festivals, All Good (when it was in Wild and Wonderful West VA, prior to moving to Ohio) and Floydfest (a couple of years ago when Isbell played). I'll be curious to see how locken' compares.

I'm adopting the mantra that a bad day at a festival (listening to DBT, Tom Petty, and tons of other great artists) is better than a good day (a Monday) at work!!!!

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I'd like to see the Truckers take Ratdog's Friday night slot, since I'll be arriving late Thursday. I heard that Phil is trying to find someone to fill in for Bobby. I think John K will be there, so we could have a Furthur set featuring "Fake Jerry" and "Bunk Bob" if everything works out.

Dean

Post by Dean »

they're going to need to hire a staff to coordinate setlists so they all don't end up playing the same GD songs, or GD covers of covers

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

OK, this is me speculating wildly, but... I just saw that Ryan Adams announced new tour dates and he is playing the 930 Club in DC on 9/8 -- the day after Lock'n. What are the chances they'll add Ryan Adams to the Lock'n bill, given Bobby's cancellation and shifting schedule? Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but that would be so awesome.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

allisonsdc wrote:OK, this is me speculating wildly, but... I just saw that Ryan Adams announced new tour dates and he is playing the 930 Club in DC on 9/8 -- the day after Lock'n. What are the chances they'll add Ryan Adams to the Lock'n bill, given Bobby's cancellation and shifting schedule? Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but that would be so awesome.

If he's coming as close as the 9:30 Club I hope he'll also eventually add NC to his tour schedule as he hasn't played here since 2005. I'm not so psyched about the new record (though I'm sure I'll buy it) but I would like to see him live again at some point.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

From the Lockn' website: "LOCKN' Music Festival announces Lettuce and Bill Kreutzmann's Locknstep Allstars will be joining the lineup for 2014!"

Uhhhh, Bill Kreutzmann's Locknstep Allstars?