7/1 - Portland, ME - Port City Music Hall

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

7/1 - Portland, ME - Port City Music Hall

Post by uncle rickey »

On sale Friday! Wheeeee!

yukon cornelius

Re: 7/1 - Portland, ME - Port City Music Hall

Post by yukon cornelius »

sweet!

looks like the 7 year old will get to go, too ;)

is it all reserved seating at Port City?

and it looks like an odd placement for preferred seating??

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Is Port City a newer venue? I went to school in Orono in the 90s and have seen a fair number of shows at the State Theater and CCCC but this one doesn't ring a bell.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

Situated in the heart of Portland's bustling arts district within walking distance of the historic Old Port, superb restaurants, theaters, and hotels, this state-of-the-art music venue offers a robust schedule of nationally touring bands of all genres as well as the best of the local scene.

Port City Music Hall is also the ideal spot for privates events, corporate functions, weddings, after-parties and fundraisers. The elegantly designed interior is both versatile and contemporary. Event space is available on one, two, or three floors, depending on the scope of your event. Full bar service and staffing is available. Sound, lights and projection capabilites are available. Our staff is knowledgable and courteous and will gladly assist you in planning your special event.

The spacious three-story space, built as an Art Deco department store and then renovated as a movie theater, has been completely redesigned and rebuilt as a performance venue. Special attention was paid to acoustic elements and the venue's state-of-the-art sound system draws raves from the music industry professionals as well as PCMH audiences.

The central music hall can accommodate audiences of up to 550. Flexible seating arrangements can offer cabaret seating at small tables; seats in rows; or standing room and a large dance floor. A separate VIP area runs along the left side of the main hall, offering seating at four-top tables, waitress service, a private service bar, and unobstructed sightlines to the stage.
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

yukon cornelius

18+ show

my kids are going to be PISSED

yukon cornelius

oops.....they DO allow minors with parents....we're cool!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's official...In!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

yukon cornelius

official here as well......both daughters and my dad will be joining, if all goes as planned!

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

so....I see they re-instated the ferry from Yarmouth, NS ( a 3 hour drive for me) to Portland and it is Canada Day...;-). That's the extent of my analysis so far.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blessedcurse wrote:so....I see they re-instated the ferry from Yarmouth, NS ( a 3 hour drive for me) to Portland and it is Canada Day...;-). That's the extent of my analysis so far.

Don't forget this key part of the analysis: It's the motherfuckin' drive by truckers.

Oh, and they're not playing nova scotia anytime soon. (I don't have any inside info yet somehow i feel reasonably confident saying that).

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

beantownbubba wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:so....I see they re-instated the ferry from Yarmouth, NS ( a 3 hour drive for me) to Portland and it is Canada Day...;-). That's the extent of my analysis so far.

Don't forget this key part of the analysis: It's the motherfuckin' drive by truckers.

Oh, and they're not playing nova scotia anytime soon. (I don't have any inside info yet somehow i feel reasonably confident saying that).

Well...Nova Scotia has subbed for Maine in a few movies over the years, alas, not the Rock Show.

My early enthusiasm has been tempered by my Monday morning review of my work schedule for July 2nd...I ain't getting out of that :(

Back to the drawing board.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Stop #4 on our 6 show road trip! Tickets and hotel booked :D
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's a twistah! And it's coming this way! :)

Don't know where you're staying, but the downtown Holiday Inn bar used to have a really good pianist. Forget her name but she was there for years and might still be. She also used to play the Sunday brunch at the art museum, for whatever that's worth. OTOH, I don't know if she plays midweek anyway.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Looks like Anders Parker will be the supporting act for this show. As if you needed another reason to go. ;)

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

Just got my ticket IN the mail yesterday.
Sneaked up them stairs

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

wooswiff wrote:Just got my ticket IN the mail yesterday.

Me, too, which is great, because I got on a plane this morning.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

yukon cornelius

my 8 and 10 year olds are pretty pumped for this one

hopefully we can make our way down front; it wasn't too bad at the HOB in boston, but i only had one.....my 8 year old is a tough little shit, but she's a peanut!

not sure who's taking the 4th ticket, as my dad had to bail due to surgery today......so hopefully my 4th is down with keeping an eye on the kiddos a little...lol

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

I hate to cross the streams, but it would appear that the scheduling gods plus the U.S. Soccer Team's inability to close out the game against Portugal have conspired to place the next U.S. World Cup game on the same day as the Rock Show next Tuesday. There's no worry about a conflict as the game will be finished hours before the show, but I wanted to see if a) anyone else going to the show would be interested in watching the game beforehand, and if b) anyone knows of a good bar near the venue that would be suitable for watching the game. This will be my first time in Portland so I am at the mercy of yelp+y'all.

The game will be from 4-6pm. It's going to be a bit tricky to arrive in town in time for the start, but I'm hopeful I can make it there in time. Either way, I can't wait for the show and hope to get to meet some of you there.
Sneaked up them stairs

yukon cornelius

i've got a friend that is a big soccer ball fan

i've asked him, i will report back......

yukon cornelius

he says Ri-Ra, but get there early

http://www.rira.com/portland/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

wooswiff wrote:I hate to cross the streams, but it would appear that the scheduling gods plus the U.S. Soccer Team's inability to close out the game against Portugal have conspired to place the next U.S. World Cup game on the same day as the Rock Show next Tuesday. There's no worry about a conflict as the game will be finished hours before the show, but I wanted to see if a) anyone else going to the show would be interested in watching the game beforehand, and if b) anyone knows of a good bar near the venue that would be suitable for watching the game. This will be my first time in Portland so I am at the mercy of yelp+y'all.

The game will be from 4-6pm. It's going to be a bit tricky to arrive in town in time for the start, but I'm hopeful I can make it there in time. Either way, I can't wait for the show and hope to get to meet some of you there.

I am probably interested; just have to think about the timing issues a little more carefully. I will let you know. I don't know Portland well enough to make suggestions beyond the one made by YC.

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

beantownbubba wrote:
wooswiff wrote:I hate to cross the streams, but it would appear that the scheduling gods plus the U.S. Soccer Team's inability to close out the game against Portugal have conspired to place the next U.S. World Cup game on the same day as the Rock Show next Tuesday. There's no worry about a conflict as the game will be finished hours before the show, but I wanted to see if a) anyone else going to the show would be interested in watching the game beforehand, and if b) anyone knows of a good bar near the venue that would be suitable for watching the game. This will be my first time in Portland so I am at the mercy of yelp+y'all.

I am probably interested; just have to think about the timing issues a little more carefully. I will let you know. I don't know Portland well enough to make suggestions beyond the one made by YC.

I have timing issues as well, but if at all possible would rather figure out a way to get up there early than listen to the game on the radio on the drive up. Will keep you posted once Tuesday comes around.

Thanks YC for the tip - if I get there early enough then that sounds like a great place to go.
Sneaked up them stairs

yukon cornelius

there's more than a few good restaurants/places to grab a drink closer to the Port City (same neighborhood as the State)

not sure where the kids and i will end up......emma wants noodles from Pai Men Miyake, but Otto's Pizza is right there, too

if anyone needs a caffeine fix, Speckled Axe is right on Congress, and is owned by a friend of mine - great, great coffee

the trick is going to be keeping my youngest awake for the whole show...lol

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

have fun tonight, 3DD'ers. kinda jealous i'm not up in maine.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Someone needs to have a few pints at Gritty's (preferably the Black Fly Stout) for me!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Speaking of beer & Maine.... Novare Res Bier Café is a tremendous place. For instance:
With over 30 rotating taps, kegs change all the time – check back often to see what's on!

Updated: June 30, 2014 2:18 am

Regular Draughts
McAuslan St. Ambroise Stout
Founders Red’s Rye PA
Vapuer La Potironne
Unibroue Maudite
Victory Prima Pils
Victory Summer Love
Vapuer Saison De Pipaix
Founders Imperial Stout
Founders Devil Dancer
De Ranke XX Bitter
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Saison Biere du Miel
Pretty Things Jack D’or
Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet
Andecher Vollbier Hell
De Struise XXXX Quad
Schneider Edel-Weisse
Koutska 12°
Ommegang Fleur de Houblon
Smuttynose Bouncy House
Weihenstephan Lager
Unibroue Blanche de Chambly
Dogfish Head Festina Peche

Maine Draughts
Marshall Wharf Phil Brown
Banded Horn Binary DIPA
Maine Beer Co. Zoe
In’finiti Dundee Kolsch
Allagash Saison
Marshall Wharf Deep Purple
Oxbow Freestyle V.25
Oxbow Loretta
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

Looks like I'm officially in for the US-Belgium match. Hope to roll in to Portland just a little before 4pm, so that might rule out places that are already at capacity. I can try that Ri-Ra place but if it's full then I have no plan other than to wander around town looking for a barstool. Some good-looking recs in this thread already.. I have no preference other than a decent view of a TV screen. I'll check the thread when I get into town so if anyone arrives earlier and finds a good spot for the game, let me know.

Oh yes, and there's a Rock Show later that night! Have had dreams about the show the last two nights, can't wait to drink it all in tomorrow night.
Sneaked up them stairs

juanma

Post by juanma »

Hola

Fútbol (soccer) + beer + DBT gig is a perfect plan !

But I'm afraid tomorrow I'll just have time to be at the venue at 20:00 for ill be spending the day with wife and kid
Hope I'll meet some of you, guess I'll be wearing the DBT t shirt I bought yesterday at Hampton (English Oceans single face with Drive-by Truckers sign on it)

Thanks beantownbubba for your comment see you guys tomorrow

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I will post in the morning w/ my intented destination and in the afternoon to actually confirm arrival or to let you know if I wind up somewhere different than originally intended. My hope is to have a table reserved by 3 o'clock so hopefully everyone who wants to join by 4 can simply pile on. I will try to coordinate w/ uncle rickey as well. But in any case I am definitely intending to get to portland early enough to watch the game from there.

yukon cornelius

novare res kicks ass......

no TV's there, though

just an aside: Oxbow is just a few miles from the house.....we are regulars at the brewery

cortez the killer wrote:Speaking of beer & Maine.... Novare Res Bier Café is a tremendous place. For instance:
With over 30 rotating taps, kegs change all the time – check back often to see what's on!

Updated: June 30, 2014 2:18 am

Regular Draughts
McAuslan St. Ambroise Stout
Founders Red’s Rye PA
Vapuer La Potironne
Unibroue Maudite
Victory Prima Pils
Victory Summer Love
Vapuer Saison De Pipaix
Founders Imperial Stout
Founders Devil Dancer
De Ranke XX Bitter