Madison

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Madison

Post by Duke Silver »

Margo and Harold!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

Why is there no set list posted yet? Slackers.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

shizzer wrote:Why is there no set list posted yet? Slackers.

There's one on FB. I'll find it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Per DBT FB Group:

Carl Perkins
Pauline Hawkins
Devil Don't Stay
When He's Gone
Love Like This
Margo & Harold
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie & Neil
SSC
Play It All Night Long
MUEO
Hanging On
Primer Coat
PoH
Til He's Dead or Rising
Heathens
Natural Light
Hell No

E:
Marry Me
PPOTM
Zip City
Grand Canyon

*edited per Duke Silver

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've had a few hours to digest it, and Jay's performance on guitar last night might be the best I've ever seen at a DBT show.

Holy mother of fuck, can that guy shred. I've been a DBT fan since 2007, and this current line up is the best in that time period,,live. Matt is a significant upgrade as a bass player, and I honestly feel Jay is better with a 6 string in his hands than Neff.

If Patterson didn't murder the sound guy, I'd be shocked. Really thought the Barrymore did a poor job with that. I think they should go back to the Majestic next time they're here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So 32 songs one night, 20 the next? Odd
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

It was 22 songs by my count. I'll post my set list when I get back to a computer.

Shout out to myself for calling the main set and encore openers: CPC and Marry Me. 8-) For those keeping score at home, they've opened 4 of the 5 shows I've seen with CPC.

Great show. I'll post some more thoughts later, but I second what Iowan said about Jay. Holy shit, can he play.

Edit to say that setlist actually looks good but it's missing Pauline Hawkins after CPC and Love Like This after When He's Gone.
Last edited by Duke Silver on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City wrote:So 32 songs one night, 20 the next? Odd

Was just thinking there seems to be a bigger discrepancy between show lengths on this tour so far than I've ever remembered.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

rlipps wrote:

Was just thinking there seems to be a bigger discrepancy between show lengths on this tour so far than I've ever remembered.

Yep. The trick is to think of the 30+ song sets as a lucky bonus, not that the 22-24 song sets are "short." I have no idea how the band thinks about these things, but it wouldn't be surprising if they don't feel that they can do the 30 song sets every night anymore, especially when they're playing multiple shows in a row in different cities. Again, not saying that this is their thinking, but I'd rather that every show has the energy and commitment we expect from DBT rather than getting some lesser shows because they feel like they need to hit some number every night.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
rlipps wrote:

Yep. The trick is to think of the 30+ song sets as a lucky bonus, not that the 22-24 song sets are "short." I have no idea how the band thinks about these things, but it wouldn't be surprising if they don't feel that they can do the 30 song sets every night anymore, especially when they're playing multiple shows in a row in different cities. Again, not saying that this is their thinking, but I'd rather that every show has the energy and commitment we expect from DBT rather than getting some lesser shows because they feel like they need to hit some number every night.

Agreed. Last night definitely didn't lack intensity or enthusiasm from the boys.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Funny exchange between PH and Cooley between songs.

Cooley: Last time we were here I believe we were incapacitated and sitting in chairs. (TDU Tour)

PH: Was Spooner with us?

C: I don't know, I was covering for not remembering ever playing here, asshole.

[Laughter, cheers]

PH: You're just talking, and I can't hear a word.

And I'm sure he's said it before, but Cooley's "Good thing that wasn't the national anthem" after flubbing the last verse of MUEO got a laugh out of me.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Iowan wrote:I've had a few hours to digest it, and Jay's performance on guitar last night might be the best I've ever seen at a DBT show.

Holy mother of fuck, can that guy shred. I've been a DBT fan since 2007, and this current line up is the best in that time period,,live. Matt is a significant upgrade as a bass player, and I honestly feel Jay is better with a 6 string in his hands than Neff.

If Patterson didn't murder the sound guy, I'd be shocked. Really thought the Barrymore did a poor job with that. I think they should go back to the Majestic next time they're here.

Nice meeting you last night.

I completely agree with the first part.

As far as the sound, was Patterson having problems last night? If so, I didn't notice.

I spent most of the night sitting next to and chatting with Matt. (sound man)

The Barrymore is a very fucked up room acoustically. Quite frankly, it sucks. It was unreal how much the sound changed walking from back to front and he did the best he could.

I've probably seen ten or so shows at that hellhole over the years, and this one sounded by far the best.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Duke Silver wrote:Funny exchange between PH and Cooley between songs.

Cooley: Last time we were here I believe we were incapacitated and sitting in chairs. (TDU Tour)

PH: Was Spooner with us?

C: I don't know, I was covering for not remembering ever playing here, asshole.

[Laughter, cheers]

PH: You're just talking, and I can't hear a word.

And I'm sure he's said it before, but Cooley's "Good thing that wasn't the national anthem" after flubbing the last verse of MUEO got a laugh out of me.

That was hysterical.

I've never seen the band in better spirits. (especially Cooley)
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

beantownbubba wrote:
rlipps wrote:

I'm sure venue preferences and curfews and the like play a part in it to. Not having a day off certainly has to make a difference.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Cooley introduced Til He's Dead Or Rises as "an old Elton John song." :lol:

beergut

Post by beergut »

Duke Silver wrote:Cooley introduced Til He's Dead Or Rises as "an old Elton John song." :lol:

Yeah. It was Charlie Rich in Milwaukee. :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beergut wrote:
Iowan wrote:I've had a few hours to digest it, and Jay's performance on guitar last night might be the best I've ever seen at a DBT show.

Nice meeting you last night.

I completely agree with the first part.

As far as the sound, was Patterson having problems last night? If so, I didn't notice.

I spent most of the night sitting next to and chatting with Matt. (sound man)

The Barrymore is a very fucked up room acoustically. Quite frankly, it sucks. It was unreal how much the sound changed walking from back to front and he did the best he could.

I've probably seen ten or so shows at that hellhole over the years, and this one sounded by far the best.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess I couldn't tell you the difference between a bad sound guy and a bad room, so my apologies for displacing the blame. Good meeting you too!

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

After the show I disappeared into central Wisconsin to re-charge so I haven't been around. The band was obviously great, but I really didn't care for the venue. It sorta felt like a high school talent show rather than a music venue. It was really bad ass when they dropped the black curtain to show the EO background. That was a nice touch, but I definitely preferred the Majestic to the Barrymore.

beergut wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Cooley introduced Til He's Dead Or Rises as "an old Elton John song." :lol:

Yeah. It was Charlie Rich in Milwaukee. :lol:

In Minneapolis he said it came to him in a dream. haha
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This is one of the craziest show reviews I've ever seen and, although I was not there, it kind of pissed me off:

Disconnected, drunk Drive-By Truckers play highly personal concert at Barrymore

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

They played blue-collar music in a white-collar setting

White Collar? Really? No offense to anyone who lives in that part of town, but NOTHING about the Barrymore/neighborhood struck me as particularly white collar. Fuckin Maison elitism...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This is one of the craziest show reviews I've ever seen and, although I was not there, it kind of pissed me off:

Don't hate me, but I actually think that was intended as a positive review (except for the nasty comments about jay, but even those were kind of taken back). I just don't think the reviewer knew how to express what s/he was thinking and the misleading headline doesn't help at all.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I read that as a, sort of, positive review as well. Positive towards the band and the music, and somewhat negative of the "hipster white collar crowd" that "didn't understand the art".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I watched the whole show about 6 feet from Patterson, surrounded by diehards, so I guess it's possible it was a different experience for people farther back. My impression when I left was that the show was well-received. What a dumb review.

Was anyone else totally bored by Blitzen Trapper? Tight band, generic songs.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:This is one of the craziest show reviews I've ever seen and, although I was not there, it kind of pissed me off:

Don't hate me, but I actually think that was intended as a positive review (except for the nasty comments about jay, but even those were kind of taken back). I just don't think the reviewer knew how to express what s/he was thinking and the misleading headline doesn't help at all.

No, I think it was intended to be kind of positive which makes it even worse. It's really interesting when taken in contrast with a review from Minneapolis the night before which kind of blames the crowd for "wimping out" while praising the band (slightly critical of the new material though):

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 01261.html

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:I watched the whole show about 6 feet from Patterson, surrounded by diehards, so I guess it's possible it was a different experience for people farther back. My impression when I left was that the show was well-received. What a dumb review.

We must have been standing pretty close to each other. My wife was on the rail between Jay and Patterson, and I was behind and a little towards Jay.

I enjoyed Blitzen Trapper, although not as much as the kid over in Cooleyville. They bounce around a lot from style to style and don't seem to focus as much on great songs as DBT, but they were still plenty fun.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Bill in CT wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:Yeah, she seemed pretty detached by that point and those ass hats heckling her probably made her choice that much easier. When I met the dude, and I put the pieces together I chastised him for being the ass hole that made Shonna quit. Bad form.

FYI - Shonna didn't quit the band.

She was fired? Would you care to elaborate?
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I watched the whole show about 6 feet from Patterson, surrounded by diehards, so I guess it's possible it was a different experience for people farther back. My impression when I left was that the show was well-received. What a dumb review.

We must have been standing pretty close to each other. My wife was on the rail between Jay and Patterson, and I was behind and a little towards Jay.

I enjoyed Blitzen Trapper, although not as much as the kid over in Cooleyville. They bounce around a lot from style to style and don't seem to focus as much on great songs as DBT, but they were still plenty fun.

Were you wearing a red hoodie? I think I was slightly behind you, over your right shoulder. Meant to say hey at some point but ended up talking to the guy next to me quite a bit, and by the time the show was over I was wiped and ready to GTFO.

I was directly behind the #1 Blitzen Trapper fan for most of their set. He kept shouting, "I don't give a FUCK about the Drive-By Truckers!" Pretty funny.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Were you wearing a red hoodie? I think I was slightly behind you, over your right shoulder. Meant to say hey at some point but ended up talking to the guy next to me quite a bit, and by the time the show was over I was wiped and ready to GTFO.

I was directly behind the #1 Blitzen Trapper fan for most of their set. He kept shouting, "I don't give a FUCK about the Drive-By Truckers!" Pretty funny.

That was me, sweating my ass off due to the lack of a coat check (what the fuck?).

That guy cracked me up. He looked a little like Cory from Trailer Park Boys.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Hey, in all fairness the first time I saw Jay play with Patterson at a Screwtopians show, I thought he was nodding out - took me a few songs to realize he's just really into the music.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Hey, in all fairness the first time I saw Jay play with Patterson at a Screwtopians show, I thought he was nodding out - took me a few songs to realize he's just really into the music.

You could tell by the sounds coming from his axe that he was 100% "there".