Dragon/Stoner?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jenn

Re: Dragon/Stoner?

Post by Jenn »

zoid wrote:Yes, It was me that had first hand knowledge of the fire in the practice room. It was in 1990 above the Smokehouse Pool Hall on Tennessee Street in Florence (right next to the Shoals Theater). It was Stained Mecca's practice room and it happened right after I left the band. Chris (Monster) Quillen was lead guitarist for Stained Mecca at that time and had just started playing with The Fiddleworms as well. I may be way off but I think Monster = Dragon.

The again maybe it had nothing to do with any of that :)

Chris, I know my memory is screwy, but I don't think Monster started playing with FW until much much later. He was sitting in with AHC before FW started getting all the hippies in Florence oozing, and I think the practice room fire was even before that. Then again, who knows - I remember the fire and the story about him saving the amp (wasn't it him?), but dates are out of my reach... I do, however, have video of him playing with AHC with one of his broken hands.

I never asked but I always assumed Monster was the stoner, and the Dragon was the grunge movement that almost made it into Florence, but was extinguished before it could flourish by the beginnings of the neohippy movement. That or it was a person/musician/band who was coming to town and nobody cared because of that practice room fire. With Cooley, it could literally be about anything or nothing at all.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jenn wrote:
zoid wrote:Yes, It was me that had first hand knowledge of the fire in the practice room. It was in 1990 above the Smokehouse Pool Hall on Tennessee Street in Florence (right next to the Shoals Theater). It was Stained Mecca's practice room and it happened right after I left the band. Chris (Monster) Quillen was lead guitarist for Stained Mecca at that time and had just started playing with The Fiddleworms as well. I may be way off but I think Monster = Dragon.

Chris, I know my memory is screwy, but I don't think Monster started playing with FW until much much later. He was sitting in with AHC before FW started getting all the hippies in Florence oozing, and I think the practice room fire was even before that. Then again, who knows - I remember the fire and the story about him saving the amp (wasn't it him?), but dates are out of my reach... I do, however, have video of him playing with AHC with one of his broken hands.

I never asked but I always assumed Monster was the stoner, and the Dragon was the grunge movement that almost made it into Florence, but was extinguished before it could flourish by the beginnings of the neohippy movement. That or it was a person/musician/band who was coming to town and nobody cared because of that practice room fire. With Cooley, it could literally be about anything or nothing at all.

Thanks Jenn, you really cleared that up. :lol: ;)
If you don't run you rust

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Yeah, I'm real good at saying nothing about everything.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I've always interpreted the Dragon to be the heroin epedemic in 90's rock music. As in the expression "chasing the dragon."

Not something that I've every been a part of or ever done, but have the unfortunate street smarts to have heard of.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Jenn wrote:

Wow Jenn... now you going to make me have to think. Quillen was playing with the AHC while I was still in Florence (I know that because he used my bass and I have big cast dents in it to prove it ..hah). I left town in Sumer of 90 and quit playing with SM in fall of 90. The fire was after I left maybe sometime in 91. I think you are right about FW being later maybe 94?

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

Jenn wrote:Yeah, I'm real good at saying nothing about everything.

That is a quality skill, though.

What is a neohippy? And how do I become one?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jenn wrote:I never asked but I always assumed Monster was the stoner, and the Dragon was the grunge movement that almost made it into Florence, but was extinguished before it could flourish by the beginnings of the neohippy movement. That or it was a person/musician/band who was coming to town and nobody cared because of that practice room fire. With Cooley, it could literally be about anything or nothing at all.

Sounds right to me. I'd add one thing, though: It's Hood who first talked about the side of the story that's never told--the into to "The Boys from Alabama", "Three Great Alabama Icons"--and he saves it for serious moments. I think Cooley was poking a little gentle fun (or not so gentle, the way those guys play on stage) at Hood with that line. But that song...man. "They turned what was into something so disgusting even wild dogs would disregard its bones." People work their whole lives to write something as good as that one line and never make it, and then to set it to music and do it well. If I were still writing, I'd despair.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

zoid

Post by zoid »

zoid wrote:
Jenn wrote:

Wow Jenn... now you going to make me have to think. Quillen was playing with the AHC while I was still in Florence (I know that because he used my bass and I have big cast dents in it to prove it ..hah). I left town in Sumer of 90 and quit playing with SM in fall of 90. The fire was after I left maybe sometime in 91. I think you are right about FW being later maybe 94?

Well.. I hate to revive a really old thread but even Cooly is confused about the year.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I love it when really old threads come back around. 1) My long term memory never was what it used to be. 2) New people every week, not everyone goes dredging back through 10 pages of threads.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

bluekhakis

Post by bluekhakis »

Cooley said at one of his solo shows this is about being on acid. This was when he played McCabe's in Santa Monica.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Reckon Cooley had anything to do with this?