Old Assholes

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: Old Assholes

Post by dime in the gutter »

Cole Younger wrote:And he's wrong. I agree that he's wrong. But what real power does he have? None so far as I can tell. He's a way past his prime rock star. Why do we care what he thinks?

he's on tv every other day. all over the tube and news and whatnot.

not that i give a shit what he says....but lots of folks do.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe it doesn't make all that much difference but I always thought the saying was, "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

It's so nice when my assholism is easily detected. Helps with the guilt I ought to suffer for it. See, I changed it because I wanted to highlight the difference between music as art and music as entertainment. I think that's why so many people don't have adventurous tastes. They want entertainment, not art. And that's why "folks...stopped liking new music and only confine themselves to 'classic rock' and [others] of us...have continued to like music, both new and old." They aren't into music per se. They're into entertainment.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rick V

Post by Rick V »

I think it's great that Cooley and Hood show respect for people they politically disagree with. That's what being a liberal is about. Let the conservatives give no respect to those they disagree with. Let the conservatives use deragatory names for those they disagree with. As liberals, I'm glad Cooley and Hood aren't close-minded and dismissive like that. They're above that.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Rick V wrote:I think it's great that Cooley and Hood show respect for people they politically disagree with. That's what being a liberal is about. Let the conservatives give no respect to those they disagree with. Let the conservatives use deragatory names for those they disagree with. As liberals, I'm glad Cooley and Hood aren't close-minded and dismissive like that. They're above that.

:roll:

sometimes you just gotta call an asshole an asshole. The Nuge makes that determination pretty easy, based on his statements of 'tolerance.'

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe it doesn't make all that much difference but I always thought the saying was, "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

It's so nice when my assholism is easily detected. Helps with the guilt I ought to suffer for it. See, I changed it because I wanted to highlight the difference between music as art and music as entertainment. I think that's why so many people don't have adventurous tastes. They want entertainment, not art. And that's why "folks...stopped liking new music and only confine themselves to 'classic rock' and [others] of us...have continued to like music, both new and old." They aren't into music per se. They're into entertainment.

That may also go a long way towards explaining Parrotheads. Buffett has covered everyone from Guy Clark and Willis Alan Ramsay to Bruce Cockburn, Guy Clark and Mary Gauthier throughout his career but the number of his post-"Margaritaville" fans that are also fans of those artists are few and far between. At least as represented by the majority of his online fanbase. Kind of frustrating when you know there's so much more out there and the majority of those folks have zero interest in seeking it out. However, if it's some "trop rock" artist or imitator like Kenny Chesney, they're all over it like stink on shit.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Rick V wrote:I think it's great that Cooley and Hood show respect for people they politically disagree with. That's what being a liberal is about. Let the conservatives give no respect to those they disagree with. Let the conservatives use deragatory names for those they disagree with. As liberals, I'm glad Cooley and Hood aren't close-minded and dismissive like that. They're above that.

Ya know, as someone with political beliefs that blur towards the conservative side, I don't much appreciate that. It's stereo types like that that have left us with the left vs right crap. It's doin us absolutely zero good to be saying everyone who is ___ does ___. Go ahead and use names and references, but keep the black and white polar politics to yourself, that doesn't do anyone any good.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

Barely_Oakely wrote:

Ya know, as someone with political beliefs that blur towards the conservative side, I don't much appreciate that. It's stereo types like that that have left us with the left vs right crap. It's doin us absolutely zero good to be saying everyone who is ___ does ___. Go ahead and use names and references, but keep the black and white polar politics to yourself, that doesn't do anyone any good.

That was what was so frustrating about venturing into the comments for Cooley's article on the DBT's FB page and on the Ultimate Classic Rock comments section and FB page once they picked up the story. It was basically a pissing match between the warring factions instead of anything remotely approaching a rational discussion.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Thanks Kudzu. Maybe I should move that over to the "Frosts My Ass" page, but nothing gets my blood going more than arguing Liberal vs Conservative instead of actually getting to the meat of the problem. Such a waste of energy that keeps us from fixing anything. I guess it's easier to understand the news if you either paint it red or blue...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

Barely_Oakely wrote:Thanks Kudzu. Maybe I should move that over to the "Frosts My Ass" page, but nothing gets my blood going more than arguing Liberal vs Conservative instead of actually getting to the meat of the problem. Such a waste of energy that keeps us from fixing anything. I guess it's easier to understand the news if you either paint it red or blue...

I know that comments sections for websites can be full of folks hiding behind anonymous screen names screaming at each other but trying to let those folks know that what Cooley wrote for Magnet wasn't even political was (unfortunately) an exercise in futility.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but Cooley & Hood haven't been shy about their feelings for the other side of the political coin. I don't care either way, cause I'm to the point where I feel most politicians (and I'm being generous by saying most) are scumbags, but to say they haven't used their share of derogatory names or painted a whole party with a wide brush is incorrect.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I know that comments sections for websites can be full of folks hiding behind anonymous screen names screaming at each other but trying to let those folks know that what Cooley wrote for Magnet wasn't even political was (unfortunately) an exercise in futility.[/quote]

May I just ask why you are insistent that Mike Cooley's comments regarding Ted Nugent and Paula Deen are not political? I'm not trying to be confrontational here, I am just looking to understand your perspective, because to me it seems obvious that the mention of those two is an implicitly political gesture. He could have easily made his points about both multitasking and "old assholes" without naming names, yet he chose to name some names.

What's funny to me is that as a left-leaning Canadian, when I read that piece, it didn't even register that those comments could be controversial or even noteworthy. Instead I was struck by the inspirational tone of the writing. I was like, "Jeez... look at him. He's all about self-discipline, multitasking, having an open mind about contemporary culture and GOING TO THE GYM. He's turning into Anthony fucking Robbins... which, despite my snark, is pretty impressive.

Also fuck the high road.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Kudzu Guillotine

PonyGirl wrote:May I just ask why you are insistent that Mike Cooley's comments regarding Ted Nugent and Paula Deen are not political? I'm not trying to be confrontational here, I am just looking to understand your perspective, because to me it seems obvious that the mention of those two is an implicitly political gesture. He could have easily made his points about both multitasking and "old assholes" without naming names, yet he chose to name some names.

What's funny to me is that as a left-leaning Canadian, when I read that piece, it didn't even register that those comments could be controversial or even noteworthy. Instead I was struck by the inspirational tone of the writing. I was like, "Jeez... look at him. He's all about self-discipline, multitasking, having an open mind about contemporary culture and GOING TO THE GYM. He's turning into Anthony fucking Robbins... which, despite my snark, is pretty impressive.

Also fuck the high road.

You may have misread what I said, or perhaps I failed to make it clear myself. In regards to his "Fuck Paula Deen" comment in the Multitasking piece, I was wondering why there's been no uproar over that as it was definitely political. Same for Patterson's entry about Arizona, which was also political. In regards to Cooley's Old Assholes article, he never mentions politics. It's left to the reader to decide what he means by, "I was even young enough once to think he (Nugent) had something meaningful to offer the world". Obviously, a great deal of people interpreted it to mean his politics but Cooley never makes that clear. He does the same exact thing with his songs. As someone that listened to Nugent pretty avidly in the 70's, he lost me post Double Live Gonzo. A lot of folks attribute the drop off in quality to how Nugent split up the band (and specifically the loss of lead singer Derek St. Holmes). Maybe the bigger picture is what I touched on earlier, the divide between those of us that continue to listen to and seek out new music and the majority of Nugent's fanbase who are stuck in the "classic rock" rut and eschew anything new or different unless it bares some sort of resemblance to what they're grown comfortable with. Many of the people that have responded to the article seem to think the Truckers are new or that Cooley is some 18 year old, wet behind the ears kid. Only further proof that many of those that responded didn't actually take the time to read the article. They saw the words "Old Asshole" and "Nugent" and immediately assumed Cooley was calling him out for his politics. Then again, there's also the very real possibility that I've totally misinterpreted what Cooley was getting at. It wouldn't be the first time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:In regards to his "Fuck Paula Deen" comment in the Multitasking piece, I was wondering why there's been no uproar over that as it was definitely political.

You think? I thought she was collateral damage on the way to a whole different point.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Same for Patterson's entry about Arizona, which was also political.

And that was the most provocative piece, I'd think. Perhaps it's that people are used to Patterson speaking his mind on these things but still find it a little surprising from Cooley. Or maybe some folks just care more about old dead white rockers than good news.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:They saw the words "Old Asshole" and "Nugent" and immediately assumed Cooley was calling him out for his politics.

"Old Asshole" covers a multitude of Nugenicisms, don't it? Perhaps he could market it as a men's cologne.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: You may have misread what I said, or perhaps I failed to make it clear myself. In regards to his "Fuck Paula Deen" comment in the Multitasking piece, I was wondering why there's been no uproar over that as it was definitely political. Same for Patterson's entry about Arizona, which was also political. In regards to Cooley's Old Assholes article, he never mentions politics. It's left to the reader to decide what he means by, "I was even young enough once to think he (Nugent) had something meaningful to offer the world". Obviously, a great deal of people interpreted it to mean his politics but Cooley never makes that clear. He does the same exact thing with his songs. As someone that listened to Nugent pretty avidly in the 70's, he lost me post Double Live Gonzo. A lot of folks attribute the drop off in quality to how Nugent split up the band (and specifically the loss of lead singer Derek St. Holmes). Maybe the bigger picture is what I touched on earlier, the divide between those of us that continue to listen to and seek out new music and the majority of Nugent's fanbase who are stuck in the "classic rock" rut and eschew anything new or different unless it bares some sort of resemblance to what they're grown comfortable with. Many of the people that have responded to the article seem to think the Truckers are new or that Cooley is some 18 year old, wet behind the ears kid. Only further proof that many of those that responded didn't actually take the time to read the article. They saw the words "Old Asshole" and "Nugent" and immediately assumed Cooley was calling him out for his politics. Then again, there's also the very real possibility that I've totally misinterpreted what Cooley was getting at. It wouldn't be the first time.

Well that, to me, is a pretty sound argument and it offers a much broader perspective than mine. My feeling is still that there is an implication that Cooley chose to name Nugent for political as well as musical reasons, but you are definitely correct in that in the item Cooley never directly mentions Nugent's politics. Your reasoning is much more concrete in as much as it is very literal.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Same for Patterson's entry about Arizona, which was also political.

And that was the most provocative piece, I'd think. Perhaps it's that people are used to Patterson speaking his mind on these things but still find it a little surprising from Cooley. Or maybe some folks just care more about old dead white rockers than good news.

We've touched on it here before (specifically around the time the Truckers declined to perform at the Republican National Convention) but there also seems to be a good portion of the Truckers' fanbase who are absolutely clueless when it comes to their political beliefs. I chalk a great deal of that up to them being fans of the casual variety.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:They saw the words "Old Asshole" and "Nugent" and immediately assumed Cooley was calling him out for his politics.

"Old Asshole" covers a multitude of Nugenicisms, don't it? Perhaps he could market it as a men's cologne.

In my response to Pony Girl, I forgot to mention this excerpt from the Ultimate Classic Rock piece, which would seem to indicate that I'm not the only one that thought Cooley was touching on something other than Nugent's politics:

While most people who use that term to describe Nugent would probably do so for largely political reasons, Cooley’s talking more in terms of general attitude — the type of people who, as they get older, view pop culture with an increasing amount of suspicion, if not outright derision or anger. Reflecting on conversations he’s had with people his age (Cooley was born in 1966) about what he does for a living, he noted that the topic often turns to “my thoughts on the merits or lack of in today’s pop music.”
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

In related news:

http://gawker.com/texas-town-pays-ted-n ... 1550504060

They should book a Cooley solo show. I am sure he would enjoy a cool 16 grand...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

It's my opinion that 98% of the anti-Cooley comments on DBT's FB page were from Nugent fans who saw the link from Ultimate Classic Rock and found their way to the DBT FB page and jumped right in. You don't have to "like" a FB page to be able to comment on a post. It was clear that the vast majority had no idea who Mike Cooley or the Drive-By Truckers even are. For what it's worth...
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:It's my opinion that 98% of the anti-Cooley comments on DBT's FB page were from Nugent fans who saw the link from Ultimate Classic Rock and found their way to the DBT FB page and jumped right in. You don't have to "like" a FB page to be able to comment on a post. It was clear that the vast majority had no idea who Mike Cooley or the Drive-By Truckers even are. For what it's worth...

Cooley probably ate the whole thing up. If nothing else it was highly entertaining.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

I didn't think that Cooley's comments regarding Deen were political at all. Racism isn't political in my eyes. Voting rights is a whole other thing.

Even if Nugent weren't known for his politics, you could still very easily justify calling him an asshole.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:It's my opinion that 98% of the anti-Cooley comments on DBT's FB page were from Nugent fans who saw the link from Ultimate Classic Rock and found their way to the DBT FB page and jumped right in. You don't have to "like" a FB page to be able to comment on a post. It was clear that the vast majority had no idea who Mike Cooley or the Drive-By Truckers even are. For what it's worth...

Cooley probably ate the whole thing up. If nothing else it was highly entertaining.

I thought it was frustrating that so many missed his point and that any semblance of a rational discussion devolved into a pissing match but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. In the comments section for the article on the Ultimate Classic Rock site Jenn tried to reason with them but it was to no avail. The haters were too busy insulting Cooley and the Truckers and openly admitting their own ignorance, which only served to make Cooley's point. Unfortunately, it was lost on them.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Apropos of nothing, my father worked for Warren Nugent, Ted's father, from the time I was six until I was about thirteen I think. I had his records on the day of release from The Amboy Dukes up until a few years after my father left the company and he lost touch with Nugent's dad. His mom also wrote a column for the Illinois Entertainer, a free paper I used to review records for once upon a time, for a couple of decades. In a stroke of extreme irony her column was eventually replaced by one by Tom Morello's mother.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Hey, he's nearly 50, and some of them are treating him like a young whippersnapper!

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

This may be unrelated, but I learned a very important lesson many years ago. I say I learned, but I still need to be reminded now and then, that if someone wants to get into an asshole contest, let them win every time, because only a real asshole wants to win an asshole contest.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Nugent is exactly like Bocephus; a grade A dickhead, but I can still dig some of his music.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Barely_Oakely wrote:

I THINK he was being sarcastic. But as for the rest of your pos BarelyOakley, you are speaking my language. I'm not gonna go too deeply into it because I've made my feelings well known in the political thread. Ill just say that it frustrates me to no end when either side does it. It is a huge part of why we are where we are in this country right now. Nothing ever gets fixed, and it could, but it doesn't because so many on both sides feel so riteous and are so sure that everything the other "side" says, thinks, eats, etc. is wrong. That's where we get things like thinking name calling and rudeness are ok. Because hey, it's those other people. They are wrong about everything and they totally suck as human beings so whatever we want to say about them is ok and more than justified. I HATE this kind of thinking no matter who does it.

Back to the main topic, it would seem to me that becoming an "old asshole" is kind of normal and part of the changes we all go through. If either of my grandpas, my dad, or u cles were worried about being cool that would seem really, really odd to me and somewhat immature. Let me remove all doubt. I'm not talking about jerky behavior. I'm just talking about not acting "young" anymore and not really relating to younger generations. Seems pretty normal to me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:Back to the main topic, it would seem to me that becoming an "old asshole" is kind of normal and part of the changes we all go through. If either of my grandpas, my dad, or u cles were worried about being cool that would seem really, really odd to me and somewhat immature. Let me remove all doubt. I'm not talking about jerky behavior. I'm just talking about not acting "young" anymore and not really relating to younger generations. Seems pretty normal to me.

True but the modern twist is that old farts today (by which I mean baby boomers) think that (a) they're still young, hip and cool and (b) that being young, hip and cool actually matters. To borrow a word from you, another word for that attitude might be "immature." The irony and confusion comes in when they define "cool and hip" as stuff that happened 30 or 40 years ago. The sad part is that they don't get the irony.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

via FB

John Neff
Well that was a lot of fun, opening for Leon Russell at The Cox Capital Theatre in Macon, GA! A couple of memorable quotes from the evening;
"Y'all sound like Levon Helms' The Band, Linda Rondstadt, and Carrie Underwood."- a guy named Keith. And..."Oh yeah, Drive-by Suckers."-Leon Russell.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Oh effin hell.

Nugent is an asshole. Try to find a way to say he's not. He called Obama a subhuman mongrel. That's an asshole for you, just the same as saying Obama should suck on the end of his machine gun, calling Hillary a toxic cunt and a two-bit whore for Fidel Castro, his seeming inability to accept that some American citizens don't speak English and how much he likes seeing a lot of white people in his audience on and on and on... Accept it and get over it. He's an asshole, big as assholes come.

Now Cooley's an asshole, too. Always has been. Different kind of asshole than the Ted-kind for sure. I won't go into graphic details on that. But he revels in that shit, so give the man his due.

When you say that we're all assholes
Guess it'd be useless to deny
I'm just saying you're the reason why

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

lotusamerica wrote:Oh effin hell.

Nugent is an asshole. Try to find a way to say he's not. He called Obama a subhuman mongrel.

well obama feels his people are mongrels too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-PjiG-SnX8

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:Oh effin hell.

Nugent is an asshole. Try to find a way to say he's not. He called Obama a subhuman mongrel.

well obama feels his people are mongrels too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-PjiG-SnX8

Don't know why I'm bothering but here goes: Nugent was calling Obama subhuman, because he was a mongrel. The way you use a word is more important than the word. Obama calling himself a mongrel in humor, without calling it subhuman, is not even close.