Old Assholes

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jim&Jewell

Re: Old Assholes

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Ted did move to Texas from Michigan not too long ago. I think Michigan got too liberal for him. Texas must seem like heaven.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

another good asshole thread. old ones.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Wow! There are SIX pages on this topic?
What a bunch of assholes :0)

TDB

Post by TDB »

Directions to Michigan from Columbus, Ohio: North till you smell it, West till you step in it.
To Texas, just head South on 71 and repeat.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

As someone who lives in Columbus (but wasn't born here) , the Michigan hate comes across as borderline psychotic
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:As someone who lives in a big college town (but wasn't born here) , the hate for the other collegiate sports rival(s) comes across as borderline psychotic
ftfy.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:As someone who lives in a big college town (but wasn't born here) , the hate for the other collegiate sports rival(s) comes across as borderline psychotic
ftfy.
Hating another school is one thing. People here actually hate the entire state of Michigan and everything/everyone in it

tinnitus photography

what do you think that stems from?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:what do you think that stems from?
I know what it stems from, I'm just saying it's been taken to several new levels

Also people who've lived their entire lives in Ohio are crazy asses

tinnitus photography

i know at least one that isn't nuts.

but really... fuck collegiate sports in the goatse. way way way too much emphasis on it, and it's not good. the US is the only country in the world w/ the bullshit system.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Eh, the rest of the world's insane sports fans just follow soccer instead

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:Eh, the rest of the world's insane sports fans just follow soccer instead
which is fine... it doesn't distort the mission of what a university should deliver.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:Eh, the rest of the world's insane sports fans just follow soccer instead
which is fine... it doesn't distort the mission of what a university should deliver.
Well yeah, that's a whole other thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:As someone who lives in Columbus (but wasn't born here) , the Michigan hate comes across as borderline psychotic
My old anarchist friends in Ann Arbor had special shirts for game day which read like this, except centered:

SMASH
the
STATE!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:As someone who lives in Columbus (but wasn't born here) , the Michigan hate comes across as borderline psychotic
My old anarchist friends in Ann Arbor had special shirts for game day which read like this, except centered:

SMASH
the
STATE!
There are crazy asses here who won't even call Michigan by name. They call it "that state up north".

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah up north there is that one rivalry and it's crazy. Down here there a whole bunch and crazy doesn't begin to describe it. Except I do t have a problem with it except for when it gets into Harvey Updike type stuff and truly gets out of hand. I LOVE college football and the rivalries.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It seems to me that rivalries used to be good fun but that they've turned quite serious, very negative and sometimes dangerous. Both pro and college. Is that just me lamenting the good ole days thru rose colored glasses or has it really changed?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

They make for good jokes.

What do Tigers and Crimson Tide fans have in common?

Neither went to Alabama

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:They make for good jokes.

What do Tigers and Crimson Tide fans have in common?

Neither went to Alabama
I like this one;

What's the only thing worse than two Auburn fans building a house under water?

Two Alabama fans trying to burn it down.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:It seems to me that rivalries used to be good fun but that they've turned quite serious, very negative and sometimes dangerous. Both pro and college. Is that just me lamenting the good ole days thru rose colored glasses or has it really changed?
No you are right bubba. In some cases it has gotten way too far out in crazy land.

A friend of mine was threatened by three Florida fans at the game in Jacksonville a few years ago. This was while he was taking his four year old to the bathroom.

Another of my friends had batteries thrown at him by GA Tech fans while leaving their stadium.

I myself along with my buddy Mike was given a ration of crap so disrespectful by a group of South Carolina fans while walking to the stadium in Athens, that we stopped and told them to shut their mouths and go find their seats. When they wanted to bow up, we both told them they had better chill out if they weren't ready to back it all up with action. A cop saw it, came over and told them they could get I side and watch the game or take a ride to the Athens/Clarke County cooler.

I think it's just symptomatic of how generally rude and self centered people have become.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think college sports rivalries are within the acceptable scope here.

People love their teams, hate the opposing school, but don't attempt to physically harm others or destroy property over it, for the most part. I'd be lying if I said I never had someone in Iowa City throw a beer can at me, but one drunk asshole in 15 years of attending games is hardly a trend.

Zip, I'd argue that the hatred between Ohio and Michigan as states predates OSU and Michigan playing each other in football, and the feelings surrounding that game were more the egg of the hate chicken that already existed.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Well this thread got completely out of hand.......

Who woulda thunk it?
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Ha, nice look back at the salad days of political divisiveness :lol:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:Ha, nice look back at the salad days of political divisiveness :lol:
Now start reading the "Neverending Political Bullshit" thread from the start. Woof

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:It seems to me that rivalries used to be good fun but that they've turned quite serious, very negative and sometimes dangerous. Both pro and college. Is that just me lamenting the good ole days thru rose colored glasses or has it really changed?
No you are right bubba. In some cases it has gotten way too far out in crazy land.

A friend of mine was threatened by three Florida fans at the game in Jacksonville a few years ago. This was while he was taking his four year old to the bathroom.

Another of my friends had batteries thrown at him by GA Tech fans while leaving their stadium.

I myself along with my buddy Mike was given a ration of crap so disrespectful by a group of South Carolina fans while walking to the stadium in Athens, that we stopped and told them to shut their mouths and go find their seats. When they wanted to bow up, we both told them they had better chill out if they weren't ready to back it all up with action. A cop saw it, came over and told them they could get I side and watch the game or take a ride to the Athens/Clarke County cooler.

I think it's just symptomatic of how generally rude and self centered people have become.
we throw piss balloons here in baton rouge.

speaking of...need to get the college football thread fired up.

geaux tigers!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:Ted Nugent is an asshole, that's a fact. But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Cooley might have bitten of more than he will care to chew.
So, 5+ years down the road, how'd that prediction play out?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Piss balloons. All i can say is that in my experience the LSU fans, their reputation is far worse than what I have actually experienced and I’ve been there when we have beaten them and when they have beaten us.

Now a few of my buddies had a bunch of the geaux tiger faithful think they were going to send some of that sort of thing their way. It did not go well for the tigers fans.

As for the Old Assholes thing, I get why people hate Nugent 100%. He wants a lot of people to hate him. It’s part of his act. But I remember people talking about what a slime ball he is relative to his past with underage females. Fair game. But I thought, is it ok that Jimmy Paige did the same thing?

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:Piss balloons. All i can say is that in my experience the LSU fans, their reputation is far worse than what I have actually experienced and I’ve been there when we have beaten them and when they have beaten us.

Now a few of my buddies had a bunch of the geaux tiger faithful think they were going to send some of that sort of thing their way. It did not go well for the tigers fans.

As for the Old Assholes thing, I get why people hate Nugent 100%. He wants a lot of people to hate him. It’s part of his act. But I remember people talking about what a slime ball he is relative to his past with underage females. Fair game. But I thought, is it ok that Jimmy Paige did the same thing?
just because he wrote better songs doesn't give him a free pass... why should it?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cole Younger wrote:Piss balloons. All i can say is that in my experience the LSU fans, their reputation is far worse than what I have actually experienced and I’ve been there when we have beaten them and when they have beaten us.

just because he wrote better songs doesn't give him a free pass... why should it?
That was the point.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Mick Jagger and Jimmy Buffett are on the flight logs for the "Lolita Express".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.