DBT: Overrated

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

DBT: Overrated

Post by Iowan »

Since Zip was afraid to go there...

In the context of DBT, "Overrated" probably applies only to the 3DD crowd. Also thinking something is "overrated" doesn't mean you view it dismissively. Only that you think the consensus has elevated it a little more than it deserves.

Gangstabilly - 18 Wheels of Love. Cute story, catchy, but an 18 minute live version is a bit much.

Pizza Deliverance - Margo & Harold. Gets a lot of props for being interesting, but just doesn't move me at all.

Southern Rock Opera - Plastic Flowers. It was a unanimous choice in the "underrated" thread, and there seems to be a large amount of 3DD posters who think it's underrated. If everyone here thinks it's underrated, who isn't rating it properly? Well, for one, this guy.

Decoration Day - Heathens. It's a great song, on a great album, but it gets a lot of "Best song of all time" play around here, and I don't share those thought.

The Dirty South - Danko/Manuel. I like it a lot more than I used to, but it's probably the most overrated track in the DBT canon.

A Blessing & A Curse - I don't know if I can call a song here overrated. It's the penultimate underrated album by the penultimate underrated band, but put a gun to my head and it's probably Gravity's Gone, and the only one overrating it is the band themselves. It's a great song, but it seems like it gets played every damn show while the rest of the album is largely ignored.

Brighter Than Creation's Dark - The Monument Valley. I don't like the melody much, or the way Patterson's voice comes off in the recordings. Album should have ended w/A Ghost to Most.

The Big To Do - Fourth Night of My Drinking. I just think this one could have ended up being more than it was, for whatever reason. I wish it was looser, if that makes sense. Seems to be pointed out by many among the better tracks on TBTD, but not for me.

Go-Go Boots - The Thanksgiving Filter. Similar complaint to Fourth Night. It has a great chorus, but gets pretty clunky in the verses, and just feels like it should have been a fun B-side sometimes.

English Oceans - Made Up English Oceans. It's a good song, but due to it being a sonic departure for DBT, seems to be getting a shit-ton of attention, when it's probably towards the bottom of the record for me.

I'm guessing there are a few folks heads' who will explode from even contemplating participation in this thread. There will also be the folks who read "overrated" as "bad", despite my caveat.

Zip City

Re: DBT: Overrated

Post by Zip City »

GB - 18 Wheels of Love
PD - Box of Spiders
SRO1 - Dead, Drunk & Naked
SRO2 - Life in the Factory
DD - Something's Gotta Give
TDS - Boys From Alabama/The Buford Stick
ABAAC - Gravity's Gone
BTCD - Self Destructive Zones
TBTD - The Wig He Made Her Wear
GGB - Cartoon Gold
EO - Primer Coat
Last edited by Zip City on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The importance of immaculate guitar solos.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Turn in your 3DD card ;)
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:GB - 18 Wheels of Love
PD - Steve McQueen
SRO2 - Life in the Factory
DD - Something's Gotta Give
TDS - Boys From Alabama/The Buford Stick
ABAAC - Gravity's Gone
BTCD - Self Destructive Zones
TBTD - The Wig He Made Her Wear
GGB - Cartoon Gold
EO - Primer Coat

:lol:

Better edit that before the Spreadsheet gets here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote: :lol:

Better edit that before the Spreadsheet gets here.

I can't now that you've quoted it :lol:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Iowan wrote:Since Zip was afraid to go there...

In the context of DBT, "Overrated" probably applies only to the 3DD crowd. Also thinking something is "overrated" doesn't mean you view it dismissively. Only that you think the consensus has elevated it a little more than it deserves.

Gangstabilly - 18 Wheels of Love. Cute story, catchy, but an 18 minute live version is a bit much.

Pizza Deliverance - Margo & Harold. Gets a lot of props for being interesting, but just doesn't move me at all.

Southern Rock Opera - Plastic Flowers. It was a unanimous choice in the "underrated" thread, and there seems to be a large amount of 3DD posters who think it's underrated. If everyone here thinks it's underrated, who isn't rating it properly? Well, for one, this guy.

Decoration Day - Heathens. It's a great song, on a great album, but it gets a lot of "Best song of all time" play around here, and I don't share those thought.

The Dirty South - Danko/Manuel. I like it a lot more than I used to, but it's probably the most overrated track in the DBT canon.

A Blessing & A Curse - I don't know if I can call a song here overrated. It's the penultimate underrated album by the penultimate underrated band, but put a gun to my head and it's probably Gravity's Gone, and the only one overrating it is the band themselves. It's a great song, but it seems like it gets played every damn show while the rest of the album is largely ignored.

Brighter Than Creation's Dark - The Monument Valley. I don't like the melody much, or the way Patterson's voice comes off in the recordings. Album should have ended w/A Ghost to Most.

The Big To Do - Fourth Night of My Drinking. I just think this one could have ended up being more than it was, for whatever reason. I wish it was looser, if that makes sense. Seems to be pointed out by many among the better tracks on TBTD, but not for me.

Go-Go Boots - The Thanksgiving Filter. Similar complaint to Fourth Night. It has a great chorus, but gets pretty clunky in the verses, and just feels like it should have been a fun B-side sometimes.

English Oceans - Made Up English Oceans. It's a good song, but due to it being a sonic departure for DBT, seems to be getting a shit-ton of attention, when it's probably towards the bottom of the record for me.

I'm guessing there are a few folks heads' who will explode from even contemplating participation in this thread. There will also be the folks who read "overrated" as "bad", despite my caveat.

Two comments: 1. I don't even know who you are anymore. 2. Iowan, you ignorant slut. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:Turn in your 3DD card ;)

Who? Me? I don't have one. I had to give it up long time ago when I confessed to having walked out halfway on a Neil Young w/Booker T. & MGs show back in the early '90s. I've been sneaking around here without permission ever since.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

The Fool in Me

Post by The Fool in Me »

Hmmm...

GB - Panties in Your Purse
PD - Bulldozers and Dirt
SRO1 - Zip City (ducking)
SRO2 - Let There Be Rock
DD - Hell No I Ain't Happy
TDS - Never Gonna Change
ABAAC - A World of Hurt (I do love it but Patterson sites it as one of his top 3-5 songs, and I disagree)
BTCD - The Monument Valley
TBTD - Get Downtown
GGB - Used to Be a Cop
EO - too early

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Preface: I really like all of these songs, unless otherwise noted. And I'm posting in this thread only because I do enjoy the banter...

PD - Nine Bullets
SRO2 - Life in the Factory (never liked this one)
DD - My Sweet Annette
TDS - Daddy's Cup
BTCD - Self Destructive Zones (don't like it)
TBTD - This Fucking Job
GGB - The Fireplace Poker (love the story, don't like the song)
EO - Primer Coat
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Iowan wrote:Since Zip was afraid to go there...

Two comments: 1. I don't even know who you are anymore. 2. Iowan, you ignorant slut. :D

Little do you know that "ignorant slut" is only the third worst thing I've been called this week.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

daddy's cup---really?---the rock show holy grail
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:

Who? Me? I don't have one. I had to give it up long time ago when I confessed to having walked out halfway on a Neil Young w/Booker T. & MGs show back in the early '90s. I've been sneaking around here without permission ever since.

No not you sir. Clearly it was for Iowan
Always go to the show

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Jonicont wrote:
RolanK wrote:

No not you sir. Clearly it was for Iowan

And here I thought it was for Zip thinking "Steve McQueen" was on Pizza Deliverance.

In the words of Marge Simpson, "there's no shame in being a pariah".

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Most of these I like...and in the case of some I love. I guess that says something about the band.

GB - Steve McQueen
PD - Bulldozers and Dirt
SRO - Let There Be Rock
DD - Heathens
TDS- Never Gonna Change (disclaimer if Buford Stick is very well thought of, it gets the nod)
ABAAC - Aftermath USA (not sure if it qualifies, but I get the impression folks like it, and this probably the only song on this list I don't care for)
BTCD - That Man I Shot
TBTD - Birthday Boy
GGB- Cartoon Gold (much like ABAAC this seems to be an under-rated album, so it's difficult to pick an over-rated song)
EO - Shit Shots Count (only because my perception is that most rate it over Primer Coat)

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Daddy's Cup never gets played.. overrated? seriously?!

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Is frequency of play the determining factor in over-rated/under-rated?

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

dbtfan4life wrote:Daddy's Cup never gets played.. overrated? seriously?!

I'm not sure I've ever seen them play it live, but a lot of the DBT fans I know seem to love that song. I mean, I like it, but...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

hanklow wrote:Is frequency of play the determining factor in over-rated/under-rated?

no

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

lol I hear ya.. def. in my Cooley top 10 tho

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Heathens, Danko/Manuel, Monument Valley?? Yikes. I mean motherfuckin' Heathens???!!!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

no shit Heathens is the shit nuff said

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Heathens, Danko/Manuel, Monument Valley?? Yikes. I mean motherfuckin' Heathens???!!!

Amen, brother.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

On DD, I would take Outfit, DD, Marry Me, Sounds Better in the Song, Pin Hits the Shell, Sinkhole, and Annette all over Heathens. The album is an abundance of riches. As I mentioned in the under-rated thread, I like it, and really like getting it live. I just prefer a lot of other songs on the album that appear to be "rated" lower based on the love Heathens gets.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Heathens, Danko/Manuel, Monument Valley?? Yikes. I mean motherfuckin' Heathens???!!!

Your head, in particular, was the one I was referring to. :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

hanklow wrote:On DD, I would take Outfit, DD, Marry Me, Sounds Better in the Song, Pin Hits the Shell, Sinkhole, and Annette all over Heathens. The album is an abundance of riches. As I mentioned in the under-rated thread, I like it, and really like getting it live. I just prefer a lot of other songs on the album that appear to be "rated" lower based on the love Heathens gets.

Basically my thoughts. It's a great song, but not the best on the album, and certainly not DBT or the world's best, and those are the level of accolades frequently leveled upon it on this board.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Jonicont wrote:daddy's cup---really?---the rock show holy grail

I think that I'd give that nod to Greenville to Baton Rouge.

I saw Daddy's Cup quite a few times early on. I like the song a lot. I have HAD to pick a song on TDS that is slightly overrated I'd go with Never Gonna Change first and Daddy's Cup second. Does the yearning for Daddy's Cup come from the song itself or the fact that its been on the shelf live for so long? Isbell helped bring the nastiness on that song live in a way that would have been hard for Jay and Neff to replicate. It had a time and a place.
And if they played that next week I'd love to hear it too. But I understand you Allison and Iowan on your thoughts.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:Gangstabilly - 18 Wheels of Love. Cute story, catchy, but an 18 minute live version is a bit much.

I'm not so sure about now but in the days of old, the live version of "18 Wheels of Love" from Alabama Ass Whuppin' was often the song I used to introduce friends to the DBT's and yes, it was mainly for the storytelling part as I actually prefer the studio version music-wise. Not trying to nitpick but I'm not sure what the 18 minutes is in reference to as the one on Alabama Ass Whuppin' is 7:32 and the one on Live From Austin, TX is 11:48.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

18 Wheels
Uncle Frank
Guitar Man Upstairs
Shut Up and Get On The Plane
The Deeper In or Sink Hole
Daddy's Cup
Gravity's Gone
The Righteous Path
The Wig He Made Her Wear
The Thanksgiving Filter
The Part of Him
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:Gangstabilly - 18 Wheels of Love. Cute story, catchy, but an 18 minute live version is a bit much.

I'm not so sure about now but in the days of old, the live version of "18 Wheels of Love" from Alabama Ass Whuppin' was often the song I used to introduce friends to the DBT's and yes, it was mainly for the storytelling part as I actually prefer the studio version music-wise. Not trying to nitpick but I'm not sure what the 18 minutes is in reference to as the one on Alabama Ass Whuppin' is 7:32 and the one on Live From Austin, TX is 11:48.

I wasn't being literal with the 18 minutes. Just that its fucking long.