Patterson Hood on WTF with Marc Maron

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brstigerfan

Patterson Hood on WTF with Marc Maron

Post by brstigerfan »

It appears that this was recorded today.
No idea when it will go out. I think maron did a wtf with isbell recently that hasn't been put out yet.
Just a heads up to be on the lookout. Wtf is a really good podcast worth checking out if anyone's not familiar.

ford911

Re: Patterson Hood on WTF with Marc Maron

Post by ford911 »

Can't wait. Maybe he'll release them the same week.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

I was right. Same week...

@marcmaron: 3 episodes of @WTFpod this week. Mon: Dan Vitale Wed: @JasonIsbell Thurs: @pattersonhood! Hells yeah. The south rises this week. #DBT

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Great news! I was worried he might edit them both down into 1 episode.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Jason on today and PH on Friday.

http://www.wtfpod.com/
In my blood, there's gasoline..

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Fuckin awesome interview!!! Just made my day!!! thanks for posting

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Great interview with Jason. Such a candid and honest interview. Can't wait to hear the Patterson interview.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'm not a regular listener of WTF but the interviewer seems over his head talking music with Jason. I couldn't take it - had to close it out.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:I'm not a regular listener of WTF but the interviewer seems over his head talking music with Jason. I couldn't take it - had to close it out.

I'm not a regular listener either but i think that's what I liked about the interview. We read and hear so many of these interviews that ask questions that we would ask that it was kind of interesting to hear someone ask questions that we wouldn't ask. Plus Jason was so open and honest that I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to Patterson's turn tomorrow.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

McButton

Post by McButton »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Rocky wrote:I'm not a regular listener of WTF but the interviewer seems over his head talking music with Jason. I couldn't take it - had to close it out.

I'm not a regular listener either but i think that's what I liked about the interview. We read and hear so many of these interviews that ask questions that we would ask that it was kind of interesting to hear someone ask questions that we wouldn't ask. Plus Jason was so open and honest that I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to Patterson's turn tomorrow.

I'm a fairly regular listener and this is pretty typical for him. He's very up front with the guest about the fact that he's not an expert on their entire body of work or back story. After listening to Jason's interview, this approach seems to work a lot better for me, as a listener, when I'm less familiar with the guest.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Yeah, I liked that interview with Jason.

Chocolate Vomit :lol: :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:Great interview with Jason. Such a candid and honest interview. Can't wait to hear the Patterson interview.

I had no idea that Jason had been so into the booger sugar at one time.
Keep calm and have a cigar

ford911

Post by ford911 »

sactochris wrote:
heartbreaker1976 wrote:Great interview with Jason. Such a candid and honest interview. Can't wait to hear the Patterson interview.

I had no idea that Jason had been so into the booger sugar at one time.

he mentioned it a little bit on the npr thing a while ago.

i loved the interview. i'm a huge fan of wtf and this was one of my favorites. can't wait for PH.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Awesome interview! Very honest and candid, it seems like those two hit it off pretty well as far as interviewer and interviewie goes. Looking forward to the PH session.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

one of the best interviews I've heard in quite awhile

gerg

Post by gerg »

Huge Maron fan. The suggestion that he is "over his head" because he's not well-versed in southern rock is absurd. The guy has done 500+ interviews and has a stand-up and TV career of his own. It's possible he might not be completely studied in the repertoire of <insert your favorite musical artist>. He's no slouch on the guitar himself.

Fantastic interview.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Up early for 6am flight and just finished PH's. Great talk. Learned a lot.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

gerg wrote:Huge Maron fan. The suggestion that he is "over his head" because he's not well-versed in southern rock is absurd. The guy has done 500+ interviews and has a stand-up and TV career of his own. It's possible he might not be completely studied in the repertoire of <insert your favorite musical artist>. He's no slouch on the guitar himself.

Fantastic interview.

I'm the absurd one. I found him (not Jason) fairly annoying. I'm assuming differences of opinion are OK.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Rocky wrote:
gerg wrote:Huge Maron fan. The suggestion that he is "over his head" because he's not well-versed in southern rock is absurd. The guy has done 500+ interviews and has a stand-up and TV career of his own. It's possible he might not be completely studied in the repertoire of <insert your favorite musical artist>. He's no slouch on the guitar himself.

Fantastic interview.

I'm the absurd one. I found him (not Jason) fairly annoying. I'm assuming differences of opinion are OK.

I didn't say you are absurd, I said the comment was. And you didn't say you found him annoying, you said he was over his head to the extent that you had to turn it off. That is absurd.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

gerg!

I've missed you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Patterson wrote Let There Be Rock, Wallace and Angels and Fuselage on the same day. Holy shit. That's some inspiration right there.

gerg

Post by gerg »

beantownbubba wrote:gerg!

I've missed you.

Back atcha, bubs.

Dragging a bit today and trying to motivate myself to exercise by withholding the Patterson interview until I get on the bike. It's not working yet. Maybe after some Chinese food.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I listened to both back to back. I was fascinated. I had never listened to WTF before. I found him an interesting interviewer. Doesn't have to be 100% prepared or know the answers to most of his questions and he let's the conversation guide the interview. Yes, for those hardcore DBT fans there were some moments that were a bit fundamental, but it was interesting listening to an interviewer finding some stuff out for the first time. Moran does a great job of following his own curiosities. To me there are two types of personal, the first is the type that is none of your business and the second is the type that speaks to the root f a persons craft. Moran really nailed the second. These two interviews are my favorites of all time and I consider a must listen to for DBT fans.
My .02
bnzz

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

I listened to Jason's on Wednesday and I'm halfway through Patterson's interview today. While Jason's interview did go over some familiar ground, I think one of the great things about the interview was how even if he's stating things you already know as a fan, it still feels different hearing it from the man instead of reading it. You get a better feel for what really matters to Jason as opposed to an editor's selected quotes to fit a storyline. This is where Marc always excels in his interviews, the conversational & friendly tone he has gets people to really open up.

For those of you new to WTF, the Lucinda Williams & John Fogerty interviews he did last year are both worth checking out, although they may not be part of the free feed anymore.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm listening to the Patterson interview now. Has anyone been to Jim Stacy's restaurant that he mentions to Maron? Is it worth a stop the next time I'm in Georgia?

http://pallookaville.com
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Also, I would recommend his Artie Lang interview which was pretty insane, and his Booker T interview. Both should still be available for free on his app. You have to pay for his premium service to get the old stuff. His interview with Bryan Cranston a few years ago was aces.

Will

Post by Will »

Bill in CT wrote:I'm listening to the Patterson interview now. Has anyone been to Jim Stacy's restaurant that he mentions to Maron? Is it worth a stop the next time I'm in Georgia?

Yeah, Pallookaville's definitely worth checking out if you're here. Jim's corndogs are a thing to behold, and they do some great shakes (boozy or non-boozy) too. He's also hosted a series of specials on Atlanta restaurants that are pretty cool: http://www.getdeliciousatlanta.com/

I thought both interviews were outstanding. I've been a big WTF fan for a while, and it's great when he and the guests hit it off like he did with Jason and Patterson. I did have to pause it during Patterson's interview to listen to Pickett's "Hey Jude."

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Bill in CT wrote:I'm listening to the Patterson interview now. Has anyone been to Jim Stacy's restaurant that he mentions to Maron? Is it worth a stop the next time I'm in Georgia?

Pallokaville is in the little town I live in, Avondale Estates. About 7-8 miles east of downtown Atlanta. AE shares a boundary with Decatur which has undergone a revival and has some cool restaurants and bars. P-ville is fine, and fun, the staff and customers are friendly, and there is some different food, but depending on where you are staying I wouldn't put it on a can't miss list. They do have a full bar though if you decide you don't like the menu. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Gang Green wrote:Also, I would recommend his Artie Lang interview which was pretty insane, and his Booker T interview. Both should still be available for free on his app. You have to pay for his premium service to get the old stuff. His interview with Bryan Cranston a few years ago was aces.

Yep. The Craig Ferguson is one of my favorites. Some that you'd never expect end up awesome. Natasha Leone, for example. If there is some craziness in their history, he'll find it. Ileana Douglas was good, though a bit annoying that she (obviously) couldn't elaborate on her family's mob ties.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Thanks Will and Markalanbishop. I'll try to get there if logistics permit when I'm in Georgia again.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming