Denver 4/19- Twist & Shout/Fillmore

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gaetzi

Denver 4/19- Twist & Shout/Fillmore

Post by Gaetzi »

Tragedy narrowly averted! My girlfriend's mom is turning 60 in early April and the family was planning a big bash for Sat 4/19.. Family flying in, band, pig roast, etc. Even though I had tickets for both the Twist & Shout gig and the Fillmore (with friends driving in from Vail) it was looking like I was SOL. For a band I've traveled to CA, GA, VA and TN to see, I wasn't going to be able to see them 3 miles from home.. Well, as luck would have it the band can't play on 4/19 so the party is rescheluded and I can breath a sigh of relief. And with that behind me, I can feel good about starting this thread. Let there be rock!

to Bill, UT Heathen and any of the other 3DD crew coming into town- maybe we can do lunch or grab an early afternoon beer before the Twist and Shout gig?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

UTHeathen

Re: Denver 4/19- Twist & Shout/Fillmore

Post by UTHeathen »

Gaetzi wrote:to Bill, UT Heathen and any of the other 3DD crew coming into town- maybe we can do lunch or grab an early afternoon beer before the Twist and Shout gig?

Great news Gaetzi! That would truly be cruel and unusual punishment to be so close, and yet so far away. I think we land around noon on Saturday, so meeting before the in-store might be pushing it a little for us. Didn't realize that tickets were required to get in the door, so that may be touch and go as well. Definitely want to hook up pre-show. We still haven't booked a room, but will take care of that soon. I have some friends in Denver as well as some folks that will be coming out from Salt Lake that will be going to the show as well. Gazing into my crystal ball I see a kick-ass party in our future. Better stock up on the Ibuprofen now!

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

In.

Can someone grab me a wristband for RSD?

Flying Southwest so I can bring an extra return suitcase for brownies.
Dave

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Vincent wrote:In.

I am thinking the hard candies would be a better souvenir!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I would have found a new girlfriend.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Vincent wrote:In.

The only way to get a wristband is to buy a DBT album. You don't NEED a wristband though. The wristband just gets you in early, and guarantees you entry. Just as long as you get in line at a reasonable time you shouldn't have a problem.

Again, for anyone looking to make a weekend out of it, Will Johnson from Centro-matic is playing a living room show on 4/18 here. 11 tickets left as of now. Only $15 too.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

How early are folks showing up for the in store?

walthers

Post by walthers »

I am curious what time this is actually taking place as well. We are now looking at extending out Denver trip until Sunday, which means I will be around for both the in store and the Fillmore.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I've never been to an in-store show at Twist and Shout before so I'm not the best guy to speak to it but here's info from their website:

We are pleased to announce Drive-By Truckers live at Twist and Shout on Record Store Day Saturday, April 19th at 3pm. Join us in a celebration of Record Store Day and the new release English Oceans. We will host an in-store performance with a meet & greet for fans that purchase Drive-By Truckers’ new album English Oceans from Twist and Shout. Starting today fans that purchase the CD or LP will receive a wristband. There will be a limited number for the meet & greet, so the first fans to buy the album will get first entry into the performance and a guaranteed spot in the autograph line. Check out one of our favorite alt. country bands here before they play that night at the Fillmore.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thanks! I did see that but was not sure if there were any tips as to how early in order to secure a spot. I guess I will just show up early (already bought the record during the presale) and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I will be the guy outside with his face smashed to the glass watching like a puppy stuck out in the rain. I am sure it will work out, thanks again.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

And for those flying into Denver for the show and are into that kind of thing, a list of the all the retail pot stores: https://www.denvergov.org/businesslicen ... fault.aspx

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Yeah, I already bought two copies of the album. I guess the best thing to do is be in the area and keep an eye on the line.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Just saw on FB where the wristbands are sold out.

Still open to the public, but the meet and greet deal is sold out.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

just realized I will be in attendance. Does anyone know where I can score a wristband? thanks.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

boyyourself wrote:just realized I will be in attendance. Does anyone know where I can score a wristband? thanks.

There's a good chance I am gonna have to miss the in-store. If I do, I'll hook you up with mine.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm looking for a wristband for this event. Never needed a wristband before for the DBT instore meet-and-greets I have attended.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Just realized that we'll be in Denver on 4/20. 8-)

walthers

Post by walthers »

I was in Denver yesterday, actually checked out a couple of the shops on Broadway, pretty interesting. Also, found a place called the Denver Biscuit Company, awesome. They have a pork pot pie (no pun intended) that was fantastic, if any of you are out there I recommend checking that place out.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

UTHeathen wrote:Just realized that we'll be in Denver on 4/20. 8-)

Why I'm leaving Monday instead of Sunday :mrgreen:
Dave

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Is it too early to start talking pre-game? Our flight arrives around 1:00 pm so In-Store might be pushing it. We're staying at The Curtis downtown, leaving Monday, so any suggestions are welcome.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

This place is pretty cool and close to the Fillmore: http://www.thecheekymonk.com/

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

O.K., getting closer y'all. If anyone is interested in meeting up for pre-game festivities, Gaetzi has suggested Sancho's, which just happens to be right across the street from the Fillmore. It would be great fun to expand my list of real-life 3DD friends, so the more, the merrier! See you in Denver for the Rock Show!!

walthers

Post by walthers »

I am in denver now and will be here until Sunday. Although I do not have a wristband I am still showing up early at the record store to see how that works out. As for a preshow meet up, I think Sanchos is a great idea. My future wife and I are planning on meeting a few other people there and I would enjoy meeting some of you folks as well. I will continue to check back here on 3DD and will make sure to coordinate the correct time. I am looking forward to Saturday!

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm Vail bound after work and won't be online- What time are people planning on getting to Sanchos/heading into the show? I've got UT's number and can keep my eye peeled for Bill and Christie but it'd be nice to chat w everyone before the gig.

Can't fucking wait for the Rock Show!

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Anyone have recommendations as far as good food/beverage establishments close to Twist and Shout? My buddy and I want to be in the area relatively early to make sure we get in.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

There's a Chipotle and a sandwich shop in the same building, as well as a cafe called Udi's that's supposed to be pretty good.. Atomic Cowboy (for great slices), Goosetown Tavern (good bar fare) and Mezcal (solid Mexican) are all ~1 mile east of Twist and Shout

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Thanks, Udi's looks like a good bet. I have no idea how early we'll need to get in line, but I definitely don't want to miss out.

young and in the way

Post by young and in the way »

udis has good food and is a pretty cool spot super close to twist and shout.

atomic cowboy (also doubles as denver biscuit co/pizza joint and has a great brunch) and goosetown are also close and are more bar type atmospheres.

the irish snug is one of our go to pre game spots.

vine street has all you can drink mimosas and other good drink/brunch specials.

sanchos is next door to the fillmore and is the local hippie bar. grateful dead stuff everywhere - they have a pretty solid juke box w DBT on it and cheap PBR.

argonaut liquor store is across the street from the fillmore and has an impressive selection of booze.

voodoo donuts is down the street and has been getting a lot of hype and apparently has the greatest donuts on earth. be prepared to wait in line for an hour.

city park/cheeseman park are both good for hanging out and people watching.
im cooking some meth cause the shine aint sellin

walthers

Post by walthers »

I plan on getting to Sanchos by five.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Nice thirty minute set at twist and shout. Made a couple Canadian friends in line. There was a taper there so you all might hear it later. The guys were tired but on it, patterson mentioned it was early for them. Also, made us laugh by saying today's record store day is one holiday that does not suck. Also, Cooley was saying he must be dehydrated because his water was giving him a buzz. Tonight should be great, set list below. Sorry if this is messy, writing this on the phone and I am not too good with these things.

Pauline Hawkins.
Primer coat.
When Walter went crazy
English oceans
Rock solid
First air of autum
Bulldozers and dirt