Lancaster, PA - Chameleon Club - June 11th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Lancaster, PA - Chameleon Club - June 11th

Post by Clams »

Pauline Hawkins. Coda.
If you don't run you rust

Clams

Post by Clams »

25 cents shy of a slice of the double mint twins

Clams

Post by Clams »

The coolest goddam motherfucker

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rhythm section. Hearing Jimmy.

Clams

Post by Clams »

unroll that $20, and buy some beer

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Made Up English Oceans
After the Scene Dies
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Pauline Hawkins
Natural Light
The Company I Keep
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Tornadoes
3 Dimes Down
When He's Gone
First Air of Autumn
The Part of Him
Steve McQueen
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Shit Shots Count
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Let There Be Rock
Zip City
Grand Canyon

"Scene" dedicated to Ben and Becca :(

gepman

Post by gepman »

Great show last night.
Checking in at about 2 hours and 15 minutes, over by 11:30-ish, just right for a mid-week show (for this early riser anyway)...
Loved "After The Scene Dies", doesn't get played enough in my book.
Followed up with "Carl Perkins' Cadillac", well needless to say, we were off to a good start.
"Company I Keep" is always a pleaser and "Tornadoes" was fantastic.
Good crowd with good energy.
Not familiar with Water Liars heading into the show, but plan to become much more familiar with them after their opening set, really enjoyed them.

OK, as previously mentioned, Patterson dedicated "ATSD" to Ben.
Can someone fill me in on who Ben is? Have browsed the pages here, and other than "Uncle Frank" being dedicated to him at the NORVA show, I'm lost... Thanks.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gepman wrote:Great show last night.
Checking in at about 2 hours and 15 minutes, over by 11:30-ish, just right for a mid-week show (for this early riser anyway)...
Followed up with "Carl Perkins' Cadillac", well needless to say, we were off to a good start.
Not familiar with Water Liars heading into the show, but plan to become much more familiar with them after their opening set, really enjoyed them.

Can someone fill me in on who Ben is? Have browsed the pages here, and other than "Uncle Frank" being dedicated to him at the NORVA show, I'm lost... Thanks.

Ben was UncleFrank23 here and a dear friend who passed away yesterday after losing his battle with ALS. He has been a fixture at Homecoming and the GA Theater shows for several years as well as attending nearly every Midwest Show for the past decade or so. See the thread above "RIP Ben Rudin'" where you can read his story in his own words on page 1.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

gepman

Post by gepman »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
gepman wrote:Great show last night.

Ben was UncleFrank23 here and a dear friend who passed away yesterday after losing his battle with ALS. He has been a fixture at Homecoming and the GA Theater shows for several years as well as attending nearly every Midwest Show for the past decade or so. See the thread above "RIP Ben Rudin'" where you can read his story in his own words on page 1.

Thanks so much for the information.
I need to start scrolling up more...
RIP Ben indeed...

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:The coolest goddam motherfucker

Literally... Everyone else looked like they had run a 5k in Houston in the Summer and Cooley had yet to break a sweat.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

gepman

Post by gepman »

phungi wrote:
Clams wrote:The coolest goddam motherfucker

Literally... Everyone else looked like they had run a 5k in Houston in the Summer and Cooley had yet to break a sweat.

Off stage against the wall, there was a "blower / mini AC unit".
Cooley looked like he was in an 80's hair metal band video all night.
Patton wasn't too far from Cooley most of the night, but man, he must've lost 5 lbs, sweating big time...

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

3DD film crew got this show on video. UR & I down front in photo well, Jonicont & Worldwide Bill up in the balcony. Glad we got the dedication to Ben.
Show was incredible! Loved Company I Keep, Steve McQueen & Part of Him, as well as Pin Hits the Shell.
The ac blower on Cooley did make for some '80s like video, pretty funny!
I swear the hotter it is, the more intense the Rock Show becomes, so fun!

During the show, the lights & power flickered & failed for just a minute. I'd like to think that was Ben letting us know he made it to Heaven safely. You will be missed!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Great show last night! Next time I go to a Lancaster show on a week night, I have to make sure to take off from work the next day. 4 hours sleep! - pure dumb-assery, I know. Really love all the English Oceans songs so much better this time around compared to when I last saw them a few months ago. Hearing Jimmy Loud, After the Scene Dies, Steve McQueen, Tornados, Till He's Dead or Rising, and Grand Canyon were all in my wheelhouse. Please come to PA again later this year!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Oh yeah, one more thing - when they were going off of the stage one by one last night, I could've sworn right before Jay sauntered off he was teasing that slow 60's surf tune "Sleepwalk". Anyone else here this? Bueller?

gepman

Post by gepman »

Anyone else notice the "skunk" odor in the club?

First noticed it early on in the show (I was in the first balcony next to Bill in CT... Then, not as strong, about mid-show...

Issues with the Chameleon Club:
1) Why wait until doors open to open the Will-Call window? We got there just as early as those that had tickets in hand. Not fair that they get earlier entrance. I ordered my tix for "mailed to home", but since the club f'ed up and didn't mail them to Frontgate, I got switched to "Will Call" a week prior (like a lot of other folks)...

2) Why can't you drink an alcoholic beverage on the balcony? The bar is right behind it, but you are restricted from taking a real drink to see the show...

3) I was one of the first people in the club, went to bathroom immediately upon entrance (just #1) first balcony bathroom was still disgusting, smelly, with both urinals unflushed. Really sad some of the things you have to put up with sometimes...

OK, done venting... Carry on.

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

It's always nice when the rock show comes close enough you don't need a hotel room. That said Lancaster is a nice enough town with nice shops. Bill and I are still regretting going to Dipco prior to the Federal Taphouse. If someone can please explain why the Dipco is known as the place to go in Lancaster? The Federal is heads above, and I'm kicking myself for not getting fries with duck fat.

The Chameleon is not a top notch place. The show rocked as always. The show within the show was a hoot as well. Unfortunately for these folks (or fortunately for us) you could bring drinks down to the front of the stage.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

phungi wrote:Although my avatar photo is not me, it is a remarkable resemblance when I make a "War Face"...

Truth.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

gepman wrote:Anyone else notice the "skunk" odor in the club?

First noticed it early on in the show (I was in the first balcony next to Bill in CT... Then, not as strong, about mid-show...

That was me. I ate a bunch of German sausage and Amish sour kraut on the way to the gig. My bad. Don't blame World Wide Bill. Clams told me about the restaurant. Blame him.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mrs Clams and I road tripped to both Lancaster and State College last week, so I'll review em together and post in both threads...

The Chameleon Club in Lancaster was indeed a shithole but in all fairness it's a glorious shithole. It's always nice to see DBT in a grand old theater or a cool club, but there's also something special about seeing them up close in a shitty dive bar, and that's exactly what the Chameleon Club is. Muddy sound, horrendous lighting, sticky floors, asshole bartenders, gross bathroom, etc. And as you'd expect, the Central PA crowd was a fitting match for the venue. But sometimes all that just adds to the rock show experience, and the Lancaster rock show was great! Made Up English Oceans to open followed by Patterson dedicating After the Scene Dies to Ben and Becca Rudin. A little while later a stretch run of Company I Keep, Devil Don't Stay, Tornadoes and 3DD. We also got Steve McQueen, Hell No and a great six song encore. There was also a small but tight 3dd contingent: you had the Jonicont film crew (Worldwide Bill, Frank, Cooleygirl and UR), Mr and Mrs Pa-Heathen, Phungi seeing his first ever DBT show, plus the Gang Green group and also Lynn & Guinness. Rev Matt, Gepman and 211poundspork, sorry but somehow I didn't run into you guys. All in all, a great show and a really good time.

The State College show was much better. First of all, Mrs Clams and I both went to Penn State (way back in the 80's), so being back there is always special. It was also my first time back since the Paterno/Sandusky scandal and I'm admittedly torn about Paterno and found myself reflecting on the whole mess. Joepa did an incredible amount of good for the school but he'll always be remembered for his one incredibly huge fuck up - the duality of the Paterno thing. As for the show, as mentioned by others, Levels was a strange place to see DBT - more dance club than bar and the room was shaped like a small octagon with these weird mezzanines and floors all over the place. But it was right in downtown State College, the staff was friendly, cheap beer was never more than a few feet away, and the sound was top notch. When Cooley launched into Primer Coat, you could feel every beat of the bass drum like a punch to the chest as this great wall of sound just washed over you. Tales Facing Up is one of my favorites and I had a feeling they were gonna play it, but the Clams' Fault shout-out by Patterson was completely unexpected. Everyone was laughing and I'm pretty sure I blushed. Other highlights were all the new stuff, Gravity's Gone, 18 Wheels, Ronnie & Neil into 72 and The Deeper In (which I'd never heard before). Up front was UR and CG, Phungi, Bill & Frank, and Mr and Mrs Pa-Heathen, and we even got Jonicont to come up front with us for the encores. It was good to see fellow PSU alum Vincent again, and it was also great to finally meet Scrappy, even though he seemed slightly stressed out from his promoting duties. Just a fantastic show to top off a fantastic day.

Notes: Other than some of the EO songs and Hell No closing the main sets, the band didn't repeat one song over the two shows.... They are selling some great new merch - Moonface and White Owl t-shirts and also those great EZB t-shirts..... The Water Liars were much better in State College than Lancaster, probably due to the improvement in sound and venue.... The stages were so tight at both venues that the EO banner couldn't be used..... The shows are definitely getting shorter - these two clocked in around 2:15 and 2:00. ..... I don't know how UR and CG do it b/c Mrs Clams and I were totally beat from traveling and seeing shows after just two nights...... Thanks to Jonicont for getting the mp3 recordings up so fast...... Sorry I'll be missing next weekend's Asbury Park and Long Island shows - I've got too much family stuff that weekend - but I've got next Thursday's Baltimore show in my sights..... If anyone remembers the shitty Dragonfly Club from that fantastic Harrisburg show with the Dexateens in 2008, that should give you an idea about the Chameleon Club. .... 6 years after I first tried to get him on the bandwagon, Phungi is finally hooked - and I do mean hooked (he's already asking me when the next homecoming will be) .... It was a great road trip with my wife and it was great seeing everybody. Thanks again to the band for bringing the rock show back to PA. ..... I'll leave you with this: If Patterson knows enough to "Blame Clams," then no thread is safe!