Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On

Crazy talk. Hanging On is amazing, although I do like Dragon Pants. What actually replaced it on EO was Pauline Hawkins.

Hanging On has great lyrics, but musically doesn't do much for me, or at least less than other songs here.

Pauline Hawkins is one of my favorites, so I wouldn't push that one off for anything here.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Anyone else notice the squeaky bass pedal on Dragon Pants much like John Bonham's on The Ocean? Think it was intentional or am I just hearing things? :?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Vinyl for RSD 4/19.

:P :P :P :P :P
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I have to say it's more than I expected. I actually like Grandpa Rock City a lot, but it's about twice as long as it needs to be. Cut it about 2:45 as a quick character sketch ala "Bob" and it could have been a nice change of pace song on the album.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Dragon Pants is fuckin awesome!!! hell I like every song on the EP a whole hell of a lot!!! is it 4/19 yet? lol

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Did I miss something with Dragon Pants? I haven't heard the EP version yet - I will when I get home tonight - but the live cuts of that song did nothing for me...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yes, want the vinyl on RSD. Since our local here doesn't even have the regular EO vinyl and won't have it until next week I'm guessing they won't get the Dragon Pants EP for RSD either. Could be wrong about that and of course I'll check it out first, but I'm pretty sure if it doesn't look that way that I'll be driving the 2 1/2 hours to New Orleans or the 3 hours to Tuscaloosa (whichever seems the best bet) in the wee hours of RSD to get in line. I'm also pretty certain that makes me insane.

edit: I see Hattiesburg and Oxford are also closer possibilities.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kevidently wrote:"Trying to be the Boss" is, as always, amazing.

When we threw out that trash, man, was the bag in your hand, did you dump it? Call later. Bye.

Now I see, with Grandpa Rock City (I'd heard the others live or studio), there is an alternative record in there. This one's got its own little theme. I want to think about it for a while.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On".

Haven't gone through "Grandpa Rock City" or "Rock Solid". "Trying to be the Boss" is just Cooley being funny in the studio.

Is "Trying To Be the Boss" what was previously being referred to as "Beaver Brown Budget"?

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Quoting myself from the humungous English Oceans thread:

I was very happy to hear that "Dragon Pants" was omitted; no offense to those who dig it, but I've hated the lyrics to this song since the first time I heard it, and I think it would have blighted English Oceans as much as, say "Mrs Claus's Kimono" would have blighted, say, The Dirty South. I applaud the editorial decision to leave this off, and think the album is far better for including the excellent "Pauline Hawkins" instead.

I guess "silly" DBT has never been my favorite mode (though I think "Grandpa Rock City" is actually really funny: "they have to lock the door cuz he likes to roam" - HA!) and most of this EP is exactly that. It's fun, I'm glad I have it, but yeah, "bonus" sounds about right. Will I be in line at 9am on RSD to get the vinyl version? You bet! :D

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On

Crazy talk. Hanging On is amazing, although I do like Dragon Pants. What actually replaced it on EO was Pauline Hawkins.

Which is a fucking masterpiece.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Kevidently wrote:"Trying to be the Boss" is, as always, amazing.

When we threw out that trash, man, was the bag in your hand, did you dump it? Call later. Bye.

Now I see, with Grandpa Rock City (I'd heard the others live or studio), there is an alternative record in there. This one's got its own little theme. I want to think about it for a while.

It's like Roger Daltrey's bare chest spawned a whole new genre of DBT songs.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

one belt loop wrote:It's like Roger Daltrey's bare chest spawned a whole new genre of DBT songs.

Bless his heart.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Cant get my download link to work. Updated Java etc and now it says there are no files to download. Great, so I can wait forever for customer service to return my email. :x
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

lynne wrote:Cant get my download link to work. Updated Java etc and now it says there are no files to download. Great, so I can wait forever for customer service to return my email. :x

Call them. You won't get an email response. I called and guy reset my code.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Did not preorder (will pick up the CD at Main Street Music in Manayunk as soon as I can get down there). So no Dragon Pants for me. :cry:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

:D
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
one belt loop wrote:It's like Roger Daltrey's bare chest spawned a whole new genre of DBT songs.

Bless his heart.

<giggles>

- bubba

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

Okay, I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been covered. Bought the CD at City Winery. Is there no download option unless you pre-ordered? Curses!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Can I just say that I love, love, love Rock Solid? I think this just a fine piece of work from Patterson and Matt's bassline is off the charts good. I think I like it as much as anything on EO but, that being said, I don't think it would have fit on that record. Here, on this odds and sods like EP, it fits and I'm grateful we have it.

Everyone still loves a hard luck song with a chorus you can sing along to
It's not too late to bloom and steal your fate and become a rock solid kind of dude...

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Hell yea!! very good tune

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

notarydpo72 wrote:Okay, I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been covered. Bought the CD at City Winery. Is there no download option unless you pre-ordered? Curses!

Same. And can't play vinyl...

on the plus side, the itunes version does sound better than the leak - not muffled.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On".

Haven't gone through "Grandpa Rock City" or "Rock Solid". "Trying to be the Boss" is just Cooley being funny in the studio.

Is "Trying To Be the Boss" what was previously being referred to as "Beaver Brown Budget"?

Yup.

Quoting myself from the humungous English Oceans thread:

I was very happy to hear that "Dragon Pants" was omitted; no offense to those who dig it, but I've hated the lyrics to this song since the first time I heard it, and I think it would have blighted English Oceans as much as, say "Mrs Claus's Kimono" would have blighted, say, The Dirty South. I applaud the editorial decision to leave this off, and think the album is far better for including the excellent "Pauline Hawkins" instead.

I guess "silly" DBT has never been my favorite mode (though I think "Grandpa Rock City" is actually really funny: "they have to lock the door cuz he likes to roam" - HA!) and most of this EP is exactly that. It's fun, I'm glad I have it, but yeah, "bonus" sounds about right. Will I be in line at 9am on RSD to get the vinyl version? You bet!

I don't think "Dragon Pants" is anywhere near as silly or blighting as "Mrs. Claus's Kimono" would have been to TDS, but I think we can all agree that it's a damn good thing that "Pauline Hawkins" wasn't pre-empted.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

They e-mailed me a link, but all 5 downloads say pending. What's up w/that?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Slipkid42 wrote:They e-mailed me a link, but all 5 downloads say pending. What's up w/that?

OK, so I'm an idiot. Didn't scroll down far enough to see the button to download tracks.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:They e-mailed me a link, but all 5 downloads say pending. What's up w/that?

OK, so I'm an idiot. Didn't scroll down far enough to see the button to download tracks.

Same thing happened to me for about 5 minutes. I was getting so pissed. :lol:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Haha! Love the Page style B-bender on Dragon Pants. Nice touch!

DJ Golf

Post by DJ Golf »

If you're on a Mac and having trouble downloading the EP, try this:

Go to Safari > Preferences > Security > Manage Website Settings > Java

You should see the URL of the download site. Highlight it, and on the drop-down menu select "Run In Unsafe Mode"

Hit your download link again and refresh the page, then re-try the download. Trust/accept any warnings you get.

Worked for me!

NICO9000

Post by NICO9000 »

The Fool in Me wrote:They picked the right songs for the proper album. But this would make a fine start for a DBT comedy record.

Agree on both points. "Grandpa Rock City" is their funniest song since "The Night GG Allin Came To Town." And the title track is pretty awesome also!

I want a physical copy. I don't like download-only stuff - need to actually hold it in my hands.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

me too!! ready for 4/19