Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Howlinwolf

Re: Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hello sir -

I'd like to purchase that album in your left hand -

Thanks!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Nabbed my copy this morning and the d/l code doesn't work. :roll:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

cre618

Post by cre618 »

sactochris wrote:The Dave Alvin thing looks kinda cool.

It is. Very happy with mine, though I thought the cover was damaged until I realized they all have that little worn mark at the bottom.

All in all a very successful first RSD in Austin.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Duke Silver wrote:Nabbed my copy this morning and the d/l code doesn't work. :roll:

Got a copy from the Easter Bunny and my D/l code doesnt work either...c'mon ATO
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

At this point I would be more surprised if the codes did work.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Duke Silver wrote:Nabbed my copy this morning and the d/l code doesn't work. :roll:

the West of Memphis code didn't work either.... got a message saying to check back as the artist hasn't uploaded the content yet.

c'mon Nick, what are you waiting for?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

No download code card with my copy of the EP at all.

roland

Post by roland »

Got the download from the DBT store on my preorder, but had to have the record. I'm a loser that paid $40 on ebay for it. I don't care. I also wrecked my Music Hall 2.2 today and had to upgrade to a 5.1 with express shipping so I can feel the grove by Thursday. Anyone in the market for a nice little audiophile turntable that needs a new tonearm for cheap? I'll take $200 for it, and I take PayPal.

Kudzu Guillotine

Does anyone know who to contact at ATO so I can be sent a link to the download for the Dragon Pants EP? Thanks.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Does anyone know who to contact at ATO so I can be sent a link to the download for the Dragon Pants EP? Thanks.

My download card said to email info@atorecords.com with any problems, but the download page itself had a complaint box that looked like it went straight to United Pressing or whoever is running the download. I haven't heard back from either yet.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Anybody know if the EP will be available at upcoming shows?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:Anybody know if the EP will be available at upcoming shows?

If it is, that's going to make me wonder about it's RSD "exclusivity".

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Anybody know if the EP will be available at upcoming shows?

I'm pretty sure that a few of their past RSD releases ended up for sale on their web site.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I don't know what the plan is, or if there is one, but this was my thought too.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I'm pretty sure that a few of their past RSD releases ended up for sale on their web site.

I know that Cooley's single from last year was on sale (and may still be) at Truckers shows. No offense intended but if they're going to do that, it shouldn't be advertised as a RSD exclusive, especially considering it's one of the titles I got up at 3 in the morning to stand in line for last year. I'm not sure if "The Thanksgiving Filter" was ever for sale at shows but it stayed on store shelves around here for at least a year or two afterwards.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know that Cooley's single from last year was on sale (and may still be) at Truckers shows. No offense intended but if they're going to do that, it shouldn't be advertised as a RSD exclusive, especially considering it's one of the titles I got up at 3 in the morning to stand in line for last year.

I think they're stilling selling the RSD exclusive stock. I really doubt they repressed it. How many copies were pressed? If it's 2500 then I have no doubt they are still selling the original pressing. Let's face it, 2500 copies is about right for a DBT RSD release but it's more than PLENTY for a Mike Cooley 45, no matter how wonderful we diehards think he is. People that buy a DBT RSD release aren't necessarily going to pick up a Cooley RSD release.

I've been to many record stores where they still have past RSD releases for sale. Sometimes the amount of product outweighs the demand.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know that Cooley's single from last year was on sale (and may still be) at Truckers shows. No offense intended but if they're going to do that, it shouldn't be advertised as a RSD exclusive, especially considering it's one of the titles I got up at 3 in the morning to stand in line for last year.

I think they're stilling selling the RSD exclusive stock. I really doubt they repressed it. How many copies were pressed? If it's 2500 then I have no doubt they are still selling the original pressing. Let's face it, 2500 copies is about right for a DBT RSD release but it's more than PLENTY for a Mike Cooley 45, no matter how wonderful we diehards think he is. People that buy a DBT RSD release aren't necessarily going to pick up a Cooley RSD release.

I've been to many record stores where they still have past RSD releases for sale. Sometimes the amount of product outweighs the demand.

I'm not implying that that the Cooley single was repressed or that record stores shouldn't sell RSD exclusives that they have leftover. There's still plenty of RSD product that was advertised as "exclusive" on record store shelves from RSD's past. If an artist is going to make RSD exclusives available for sale after RSD, I believe there should at least be a waiting period as it doesn't make the item "exclusive" at all if I know I can buy it after the fact. R.E.M. did something similar last year with the Live In Greensboro EP, which was used as a teaser of sorts for the 25th anniversary edition of Green. That songs were later made available as part of the download for the bonus disc which included most of the rest of the Greensboro concert. The only "exclusive" part is that they made the Live In Greensboro EP available on CD.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:If an artist is going to make RSD exclusives available for sale after RSD, I believe there should at least be a waiting period as it doesn't make the item "exclusive" at all if I know I can buy it after the fact.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. How would you know you could buy it after the fact? The only way you knew you would get the Cooley RSD single was to go to an independent record store on RSD and buy it. There was no guarantee that there would be any left at retail after that day. I guess they could have put out a statement "any leftover copies of the Cooley RSD single may be sold at the merch table in the future". Even with that I would have gone out on RSD to make sure I got a copy.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:If an artist is going to make RSD exclusives available for sale after RSD, I believe there should at least be a waiting period as it doesn't make the item "exclusive" at all if I know I can buy it after the fact.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. How would you know you could buy it after the fact? The only way you knew you would get the Cooley RSD single was to go to an independent record store on RSD and buy it. There was no guarantee that there would be any left at retail after that day. I guess they could have put out a statement "any leftover copies of the Cooley RSD single may be sold at the merch table in the future". Even with that I would have gone out on RSD to make sure I got a copy.

Since the whole idea is to celebrate independent record stores, perhaps any leftover RSD exclusives should only be for sale in record stores. I don't recall The Thanksgiving Filter or Patterson's "After It's Gone" single being for sale at shows after the fact. It just seems contradictory to the whole idea of items such as Too Pretty To Work and Dragon Pants being "exclusive". Speaking of which, there's currently a copy of Dragon Pants for sale on ebay with a starting bid of $99.99 (and some much lower than that) which would seem to imply that it may have sold out at all the participating RSD record stores. Then again, I'm not sure how many copies were pressed.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I've defiantly seen the TGF 10" on sale at shows. In fact, I think I saw a copy on sale at the 40 Watt *this year*.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:I've defiantly seen the TGF 10" on sale at shows. In fact, I think I saw a copy on sale at the 40 Watt *this year*.

I'm guessing they must have printed a shit ton of those or perhaps it just didn't sell well. As I mentioned before, there were a bunch of copies in stock at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh well after the fact (not a complaint, just an observation).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

KG, you raise some interesting questions about what "exclusive" really means. Totally unscientifically and personally, my guess is that most people would think that in this context, exclusive means (i) available first only in independent stores on RSD; (ii) to the extent not sold out on that day, remaining copies are only sold in the same stores that participate in RSD; and (iii) the exclusive content is not reprinted at least in the same form.

That leaves open at least 2 ambiguous situations: Should the music be able to be included in later collections - greatest hits, rarities, career retrospectives, etc? And should the band itself, as a matter of convenience for its fans, be able to sell left over stock of the "exclusive" package at their shows and/or on their website? My personal reaction is that the answers are yes to the first and "I don't know" to the second.

I assume that the answer to a third potential ambiguity, should the content be available digitally?, is no, but again that's my unscientific personal assumption. A yes to this would seem to elevate form (the packaging) too far over substance (the actual songs).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:KG, you raise some interesting questions about what "exclusive" really means. Totally unscientifically and personally, my guess is that most people would think that in this context, exclusive means (i) available first only in independent stores on RSD; (ii) to the extent not sold out on that day, remaining copies are only sold in the same stores that participate in RSD; and (iii) the exclusive content is not reprinted at least in the same form.

That leaves open at least 2 ambiguous situations: Should the music be able to be included in later collections - greatest hits, rarities, career retrospectives, etc? And should the band itself, as a matter of convenience for its fans, be able to sell left over stock of the "exclusive" package at their shows and/or on their website? My personal reaction is that the answers are yes to the first and "I don't know" to the second.

I assume that the answer to a third potential ambiguity, should the content be available digitally?, is no, but again that's my unscientific personal assumption. A yes to this would seem to elevate form (the packaging) too far over substance (the actual songs).

At first, I was little upset that R.E.M. made the songs from the Live In Greensboro EP available as part of the digital download of the 25th Anniversary of Green but what fans got on RSD last year actually was "exclusive" in that you were able to own the EP (as well as a patch from the Green World Tour) in physical form. There are copies of it for sale on ebay ranging from $19.99 - 45.99.

BTW, I got an email from ATO with a link to a download of the Dragon Pants EP.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

There are actual official rules for an RSD release, off the top of my head:

1. Available only at independent record stores.
2. Not available online until at least 24 hours after the end of RSD. After 24 hours the record store can sell titles online/or by phone.
3. Record stores can only mark up the title 20% over their cost.
4. Record stores can not put items on eBay for auction.

Many record stores made their unsold RSD titles available online Sunday & Monday, Vintage Vinyl, BullMoose, Twist & Shout were the 3 I checked out to pick up anything I missed that I wanted.

The only comment I will make regarding Record Store Day exclusives is that they should stay exclusives. If the RSD release is on Red vinyl and they later press up unlimited copies on black vinyl, I'm fine with that. If the RSD release is on vinyl and later it's released on CD or as a download...I'm fine with that. If I'm going to go out on RSD, fight the crowds, stand in line, etc., I want my release to be "special" in some way. That's it. As far as the music on those releases, I hope anyone who wants to hear it can hear it whether it's a download, a non-exclusive release, or whatever. All I ask is keep the RSD release exclusive, even if the only difference is the color of the vinyl.

Kudzu Guillotine

There's also a rule that you can only buy one copy of each title. Unfortunately, a lot of folks aren't following the rules. And, if you've read the RSD 2014 thread in the Other Bands forum, some folks are even ok with people selling RSD exclusives for an arm and a leg on ebay. Perhaps I'm in the minority but those people are the ones taking a great big shit on the whole thing.

I see a lot of R.E.M. fans complaining about not being able to buy copies of Unplugged (2500 were pressed) even though it's going to be available on CD and as a digital download on May 20th. Some of these fans are the very same ones that complained about Peter Buck only releasing his solo albums on vinyl by insisting that he release those records in larger quantities and that he make them available on CD and as digital downloads. Buck stuck to his guns but did do a second pressing of his first record (albeit, minus a track due to copyright restrictions) and increased the quantities of his second solo album (I Am Back To Blow Your Mind Once Again).

tinnitus photography

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:There's also a rule that you can only buy one copy of each title. Unfortunately, a lot of folks aren't following the rules. And, if you've read the RSD 2014 thread in the Other Bands forum, some folks are even ok with people selling RSD exclusives for an arm and a leg on ebay. Perhaps I'm in the minority but those people are the ones taking a great big shit on the whole thing.

fixed that for you, KG.

Kudzu Guillotine

tinnitus photography wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:There's also a rule that you can only buy one copy of each title. Unfortunately, a lot of folks aren't following the rules. And, if you've read the RSD 2014 thread in the Other Bands forum, some folks are even ok with people selling RSD exclusives for an arm and a leg on ebay. Perhaps I'm in the minority but those people are the ones taking a great big shit on the whole thing.

fixed that for you, KG.

You're the only person I know of that is ok with people selling RSD exclusives on ebay. I'm not sure how everyone else here feels but I'd say that's pretty fucked up as it's ruining Record Store Day.

tinnitus photography

so then why did you couch it as 'some folks'? just come out and say it!

let's get this clear - i don't flip records. i'm not 'in favor' of people flipping records.

i just don't know how you (or anyone else) would possibly stop this; i've asked you, and received nothing but some back-handed disgust because you couldn't land your precious REM box.

outside of make prospective buyer sign affidavits saying they won't sell the items they buy at a profit, how do you prevent this? i did state that i'm in favor of not publicising the pressing size, so that prospective buyers have no idea of relative scarcity.

when you figure out how to defeat supply and demand, let me know.

Kudzu Guillotine

tinnitus photography wrote:so then why did you couch it as 'some folks'? just come out and say it! let's get this clear - i don't flip records. i'm not 'in favor' of people flipping records. i just don't know how you (or anyone else) would possibly stop this; i've asked you, and received nothing but some back-handed disgust because you couldn't land your precious REM box. outside of make prospective buyer sign affidavits saying they won't sell the items they buy at a profit, how do you prevent this? i did state that i'm in favor of not publicising the pressing size, so that prospective buyers have no idea of relative scarcity. when you figure out how to defeat supply and demand, let me know.

I never said that you "flip" records only that you're ok with it. Evidently you're not the only one as there are lots of people out there that do it, just take a look at Ebay. Also, I never said a thing about not being able to purchase the R.E.M. box set. However, I did mention that some R.E.M. fans felt slighted that they weren't able to purchase a copy. Perhaps you missed it but I did not participate in RSD this year. I had a friend that picked up a couple releases for me and I picked up two after the fact but I didn't do the get up at 3 am thing this year, nor did I visit a record store this past Saturday. While I wouldn't mind owning Unplugged on vinyl, I'm perfectly content with having it on CD. As for solutions to prevent flipping, I suggested that Ebay should not permit it the resale of RSD exclusive. That didn't sit too well with you. Otherwise, I have no other ideas on how to stop it. I seriously doubt not publicizing how large or small the run is will change anything as they will still be limited in quantity.

tinnitus photography

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:so then why did you couch it as 'some folks'? just come out and say it! let's get this clear - i don't flip records. i'm not 'in favor' of people flipping records.i just don't know how you (or anyone else) would possibly stop this; i've asked you, and received nothing but some back-handed disgust because you couldn't land your precious REM box. outside of make prospective buyer sign affidavits saying they won't sell the items they buy at a profit, how do you prevent this? i did state that i'm in favor of not publicising the pressing size, so that prospective buyers have no idea of relative scarcity. when you figure out how to defeat supply and demand, let me know.

I never said that you "flip" records only that you're ok with it. Evidently you're not the only one as there are lots of people out there that do it, just take a look at Ebay. Also, I never said a thing about not being able to purchase the R.E.M. box set. However, I did mention that some R.E.M. fans felt slighted that they weren't able to purchase a copy. Perhaps you missed it but I did not participate in RSD this year. I had a friend that picked up a couple releases for me and I picked up two after the fact but I didn't do the get up at 3 am thing this year, nor did I visit a record store this past Saturday. While I wouldn't mind owning Unplugged on vinyl, I'm perfectly content with having it on CD. As for solutions to prevent flipping, I suggested that Ebay should not permit it the resale of RSD exclusive. That didn't sit too well with you. Otherwise, I have no other ideas on how to stop it. I seriously doubt not publicizing how large or small the run is will change anything as they will still be limited in quantity.

I'm "OK" with it in the same manner as I'm OK with traffic sucking on the commute into work when it snows.

it's funny that you say restricting people selling items they have every right to not 'sitting well' with me. i've never purchased a record store day release via ebay, so i really don't give a fuck one way or the other. what i think is funny is your creating new laws to stop the basic premise of supply and demand. no one is breaking any laws here. but you seem to have a real hard-on to wear a sheriff's badge.