Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Post by beantownbubba »

linkous wrote:
Drop D wrote:I get loads of CDs from US sellers on Amazon that are cheaper than you can get them in the UK and arrive in a few days. Seems weird the postage should be so expensive from the DBT site.

That is my experience as well with US Amazon sellers, although I have never had a CD arrive as quickly as a few days, about a week is average. Why Fat Possum have taken 4 weeks and counting to get the Water Liars CD to me is pretty poor, they must have used the cheapest/slowest postage rate available to them.

Edit - Water Liars CD just popped through my mailbox. The invoice states it was sent first class from Oxford MS. However there is a sticker on the front of the parcel saying if undelivered return to an address in Malmo, Sweden. WTF? No wonder it took so long to get here, wonder how long it was lying in some warehouse in the frozen wastes of Scandanavia :x

FWIW, when I order cd's from UK sellers on Amazon, they charge the standard Amazon USD shipping (used to be $2.98, think it's higher now) and the discs always arrive in less than a week, sometimes in as little as 4 days. I assume it's not exactly the same in the other direction (I'm not sure why not, it just seems likely) but you're talking about some pretty stark differences.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

linkous

Post by linkous »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:
linkous wrote:
notdaryet wrote:anyone know if there will physical copies? if you remember, there was a bonus EP given away at indie stores with purchase of Go-Go Boots. i'll happily return my copy from importcds if i can go do the indie store and get a physical (lossless) copy. does anyone remember if this was a total surprise or if we knew indie stores would have it in advance?

i'm just hoping the download offers a lossless option. more people have to go with this these days. it's why Bandcamp, HDTracks and some other band websites are great nowadays.

-justin

The download is 256kb

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... and_id=474

The leak I downloaded was 320kb...seems odd that the version you pay for would be lower quality?????

I could be wrong, but could a person not receive an MP3 file as 128, 192, 256 or whatever and then rip it to be whatever quality they want, eg 256kb at source but then rip to their computer as 320kb? I am positive I have read about this before, but the end result is the MP3 file wont sound any better no matter what bit rate you tell it that it is. So Justin, you might not necessarily have a 320kb file after all, the source you leaked it from may just have converted it to 320!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^ That is my understanding as well.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

linkous wrote:
The download is 256kb

That is so ridiculous. I realize it's a "free" bonus but it's not 1999. At the VERY least it should be available in 320kb or better yet FLAC. I preordered the vinyl from Best Buy which ended up being almost $14 cheaper but preordered the CD from the DBT shop because I wanted the bonus tracks.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Folks, perspective please. They're BONUS TRACKS.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

i went to the link, but i couldn't find anything where it was the download would be in that quality. the Go-Go Boots vinyl download (with one bonus track) was offered in lossless, was it not?

-justin

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm fine with 256 bit if that's the case. As TC mentioned, they are bonus tracks. 320 would be better but I don't have a high end enough audio system to really notice the loss of high end at 256. What is iTunes these days, 320?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Folks, perspective please. They're BONUS TRACKS.

True, but there's no reason not to encode them in at least 320kb. Just because most people listen to music these days with a $3 pair of headphones doesn't mean all of us do. There are still a few audiophiles out there lol. Remember in the past they issued bonus discs with the release of albums (ABAAC) so it's certainly not unprecedented.

Hopefully it'll be a Record Store Day EP and the 256kb download won't matter any longer.

And besides I spend hundreds of dollars directly on the band a year with tickets, posters, & shirts. So I feel like I can complain every now and again :D
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I'm hoping for a Record Store Day release on this. RSD releases are being announced daily, so hopefully we know soon.

On 256 vs. 320, I can't tell the difference. I'd prefer as good as possible, just because.

I would have to guess from a record co. perspective that 256 vs 320 vs FLAC is a bandwidth issue. Bigger files will cost them more on their monthly bill. If they were smart they'd offer an upgrade to FLAC for a few bucks.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Wait, I'm confused - is the EP now available to those of us who pre-ordered? If so, I didn't get any notification.

Hoping my vinyl copy arrives tomorrow. Will pick up the limited blue version too, if my store received any.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

jimmyjack wrote:Wait, I'm confused - is the EP now available to those of us who pre-ordered? If so, I didn't get any notification.

Hoping my vinyl copy arrives tomorrow. Will pick up the limited blue version too, if my store received any.

If you are referring to CD Central, I asked on FB if they would be getting the blue vinyl and they said yes. I then asked if they'd take an order over the phone or online cause I'm 90+ miles away and have no idea when I'll be in Lexington again, but they haven't replied yet.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I sure would like that email with the EP download now that EO is official out there everywhere. I reckon it's still tomorrow though huh?

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

12:00 AM March 4th...

I just checked my Truckers Store account. Who's stayin up till midnight with me? haha
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Well, shit. Why couldn't we get the downloads today?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I sure would like that email with the EP download now that EO is official out there everywhere. I reckon it's still tomorrow though huh?

I know it's not uncommon to see albums in the rack 4-5 days prior to their official release on occasion but I'm guessing it's even more commonplace in the day of the download when "official" release dates have become almost meaningless. I mean, it's not like anyone's actually going to enforce it anyway. Speaking of which, has it ever been strongly enforced? I'm guessing pre-digital download it might have been.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I sure would like that email with the EP download now that EO is official out there everywhere. I reckon it's still tomorrow though huh?

I know it's not uncommon to see albums in the rack 4-5 days prior to their official release on occasion but I'm guessing it's even more commonplace in the day of the download when "official" release dates have become almost meaningless. I mean, it's not like anyone's actually going to enforce it anyway. Speaking of which, has it ever been strongly enforced? I'm guessing pre-digital download it might have been.

When I had my record stores street dates were strictly enforced. I used a distributor but even then the labels were watching. One of my competitors was caught breaking street date on WEA titles, got one warning and then the distributor was told not to sell their titles to them for six months. At the distributors suggestion during that time they were sending their customers to me for those titles. I'm guessing that doesn't happen anymore though.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

When I had my record stores street dates were strictly enforced. I used a distributor but even then the labels were watching. One of my competitors was caught breaking street date on WEA titles, got one warning and then the distributor was told not to sell their titles to them for six months. At the distributors suggestion during that time they were sending their customers to me for those titles. I'm guessing that doesn't happen anymore though.

Thanks, I was just curious. The first time I remember seeing something for sale prior to the actual street date was Elton's "Candle In the Wind" Princess Diana benefit single (yes, I bought one), which was at Circuit City.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Vinyl for RSD 4/19.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

...effectively and officially rendering the far-more-expensive pre-order (which has yet to arrive) now 100% pointless.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Not that I'm complaining about more DBT vinyl, you understand. I just wish I'd been less impulsive and just bought English Oceans at my local store and then snagged the Dragon Pants EP on RSD, which probably would have been cheaper than pre-ordering through Music Today for mp3s and a vinyl copy that hasn't arrived.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Downloaded and digging it.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Downloaded and digging it.

We need some details TC.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

linkous

Post by linkous »

I'm just surprised it can't be downloaded from the website, iTunes, Amazon etc. Most people would probably be willing to pay a few dollars/pounds/euro's surely?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On".

Haven't gone through "Grandpa Rock City" or "Rock Solid". "Trying to be the Boss" is just Cooley being funny in the studio.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Downloaded and digging it.

We need some details TC.

Dragon Pants, Grandpa Rock City, Trying to be the Boss, Rock Solid Kind of Dude, Natural Light (alternative first take).

I love Rock Solid Kind of Dude, bass line is tremendous. All of it is good stuff. Trying to be the Boss sounds augmented from the earlier mix.

cre618

Post by cre618 »

And, FYI the download is 320kpbs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I like "Dragon Pants" quite a bit. I'd probably have put it on the album in place of "Hanging On

Crazy talk. Hanging On is amazing, although I do like Dragon Pants. What actually replaced it on EO was Pauline Hawkins.

The Fool in Me

Post by The Fool in Me »

They picked the right songs for the proper album. But this would make a fine start for a DBT comedy record.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Need to fully absorb it, but I'm so happy to have clean versions of these songs. "Trying to be the Boss" is, as always, amazing.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I think I'm with everyone else on this pre-order BS.

I'd prefer to support my local shop as much as possible, but I'll usually pre-order when there is a bonus to make sure I get it ASAP (both the album and the bonus tracks).

Now we all know that the bonus tracks will be available by "alternate means" regardless if we paid for the pre-order, so even if a physical release never materializes you can still get those tracks.

I guess in the end it isn't a big deal. I'm going to assume the band made a few more bucks off me which is totally fine, but at the same time the service is a little lacking and I want to keep my local shop in business.

Pretty sure my local shop had the regular version of the album for $10 less than the pre-order too.