Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kevidently

Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Post by Kevidently »

I didn't see one, so I thought I'd start a thread on the bonus tracks, available in one week! Some questions:

- Does anyone know what the tracks are?
- Has anyone heard them?
- Do they "fit" with the feel of EO?
- Are any written by Jay or Matt?

Thoughts?

emandrisdad

Re: Those Five Bonus Tracks

Post by emandrisdad »

My thoughts are I'd like to hear them but I'm opting to support both the band and my local indie record store by buying it there.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Runaway Train..... just hopeful speculation lol

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm pretty sure we're getting one of two things:

1. Tracks recorded for the album but not on the album like "I wish I were Jimmy Page aka Dragon Pants" or
2. Live tracks recorded recently

I am really hoping it's #1 myself...
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Back in December when he was out here doing a couple of solo shows,
Patterson said we should be looking forward to the Dragon Pants EP.
I believe him.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

My hunch is telling me non are written by Jay or Matt. Could be a cover amongst them though.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Would love a studio version of Adam Raised a Cain or I'm 18
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Runaway Train!!!!!!! I'm 18 would be kickass as well

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I'll take a stab and say we'll see Dragon Pants. A studio cut of one of their covers would be kick ass - Play it all Night Long, 18, etc...
Mostly, I'd really enjoy a cut of that Cooley tune that was floating around a while ago. I don't know the title of it. Vicodin and Wine? Anyone remember that tune?
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Mostly, I'd really enjoy a cut of that Cooley tune that was floating around a while ago.

Me, too. But if I were Cooley and I had a song good enough to release but not right for this record, I might hang on to it for the next one. He doesn't have the sort of songwriting talent you can turn on and off like a faucet.

Or I might take a leap of faith and assume I'd be able to produce next time. Well, that probably is what I'd do. But Cooley is a lot smarter than I am, so...
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

If we're adding to the wish list, I'd really enjoy a studio cut of Three on the Tree... Just sayin
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

gepman

Post by gepman »

Drinking Coke and Eating Ice (Cooley)
(If I Was) Jimmy Page (Dragon Pants?) (Hood)
Rock Solid Kind Of Dude (Hood)

I doubt any of the "old nuggets" mentioned earlier will be included.
My guess is EO "Outtakes"...

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Well, one of my favorite ever DBT tracks is their cover of "Like a Rolling Stone," because they all trade verses; same with when they do "Hell No" in concert and they all do the chorus together. I'd love a song like that, where we get to hear each of their distinctive vocals.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Patterson vocal mix of Til He's Dead Or RIsing maybe?

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Barely_Oakely wrote:If we're adding to the wish list, I'd really enjoy a studio cut of Three on the Tree... Just sayin

How many times can I vote for this?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

I just hope it's studio outtakes and not live versions, or at least mostly studio tunes if it is a mix of the two.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I think someone has already mentioned this but he refers to it as "the Dragon Pants EP" so we know of at least one song that made the cut for sure.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I know it's a bonus EP, but I'm hoping it will eventually be available as a separate purchase
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

badeconomist

Re: Those Five Bonus Tracks: AKA Dragon Pants EP

Post by badeconomist »

Not sure if I'm missing something here but seems like you can only get the EP if you pre-order but the pre-order must be CD or vinyl not digital. So for me, living in Canada, the $15 CD comes with shipping of $13, when really I'm just going to put this on my hard drive anyway.

Seems really wasteful -- I want the EP and I want to give as much money to the band as possible for my purchase, but this way of doing things does not make sense. I think I had a similar gripe when the last album came out. Any help?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

badeconomist wrote:Not sure if I'm missing something here but seems like you can only get the EP if you pre-order but the pre-order must be CD or vinyl not digital. So for me, living in Canada, the $15 CD comes with shipping of $13, when really I'm just going to put this on my hard drive anyway.

Seems really wasteful -- I want the EP and I want to give as much money to the band as possible for my purchase, but this way of doing things does not make sense. I think I had a similar gripe when the last album came out. Any help?

And you call yourself a bad economist.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Shipping to and from Canada is damn expensive, but you can break your leg for free.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

linkous

Post by linkous »

LBRod wrote:Shipping to and from Canada is damn expensive, but you can break your leg for free.

I too would have ordered direct from the website but decided not to for two reasons.

1. Shipping costs from the US to the UK would cost me £10 ($17) more than I am paying Amazon in the UK.
2. I will receive the CD and vinyl from Amazon on 3rd March, I would be lucky to receive them by the end of March if I ordered from the website****

This is not a criticism of the band or the website, its purely a matter of logistics.

**** As an example of how long it takes to ship from the US to the UK, I ordered Water Liars new CD direct from Fat Possum exactly 4 weeks ago today and I still don't have it. I thought I was being smart as it was fairly cheap, and actually doesn't get released in the UK till the same day as English Oceans, so I figured even if it took 3 weeks to ship I would still have it before UK release date. That'll teach me :D

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

linkous wrote:
LBRod wrote:Shipping to and from Canada is damn expensive, but you can break your leg for free.

I too would have ordered direct from the website but decided not to for two reasons.

1. Shipping costs from the US to the UK would cost me £10 ($17) more than I am paying Amazon in the UK.
2. I will receive the CD and vinyl from Amazon on 3rd March, I would be lucky to receive them by the end of March if I ordered from the website****

This is not a criticism of the band or the website, its purely a matter of logistics.

**** As an example of how long it takes to ship from the US to the UK, I ordered Water Liars new CD direct from Fat Possum exactly 4 weeks ago today and I still don't have it. I thought I was being smart as it was fairly cheap, and actually doesn't get released in the UK till the same day as English Oceans, so I figured even if it took 3 weeks to ship I would still have it before UK release date. That'll teach me :D

Plus as an added bonus if the Customs people stop it you get to pay an extra £8-10 to get it into the country (mainly an admin fee to the post office, who seem to have become rather hot on this way of raising revenue).

I'll be getting a copy from my local record shop and hoping 'Dragon Pants' comes out on vinyl for RSD.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

hungoverdrawn

Post by hungoverdrawn »

Another person in the UK who wants to support the band and get the Dragon Pants EP but not pay $15 for shipping. Is there any way anyone from the forum would share them with those of us not fortunate enough to live in the US? Don't know what I could offer in return since I figure most people here have done as I've done and trawled the web for every rarity/cover/live track worth having... but I figure no harm in asking right? (I did ask whoever runs the band's Twitter and Facebook, but no answer.)
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

I get loads of CDs from US sellers on Amazon that are cheaper than you can get them in the UK and arrive in a few days. Seems weird the postage should be so expensive from the DBT site.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Drop D wrote:I get loads of CDs from US sellers on Amazon that are cheaper than you can get them in the UK and arrive in a few days. Seems weird the postage should be so expensive from the DBT site.

That is my experience as well with US Amazon sellers, although I have never had a CD arrive as quickly as a few days, about a week is average. Why Fat Possum have taken 4 weeks and counting to get the Water Liars CD to me is pretty poor, they must have used the cheapest/slowest postage rate available to them.

Edit - Water Liars CD just popped through my mailbox. The invoice states it was sent first class from Oxford MS. However there is a sticker on the front of the parcel saying if undelivered return to an address in Malmo, Sweden. WTF? No wonder it took so long to get here, wonder how long it was lying in some warehouse in the frozen wastes of Scandanavia :x

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

anyone know if there will physical copies? if you remember, there was a bonus EP given away at indie stores with purchase of Go-Go Boots. i'll happily return my copy from importcds if i can go do the indie store and get a physical (lossless) copy. does anyone remember if this was a total surprise or if we knew indie stores would have it in advance?

i'm just hoping the download offers a lossless option. more people have to go with this these days. it's why Bandcamp, HDTracks and some other band websites are great nowadays.

-justin

linkous

Post by linkous »

notdaryet wrote:anyone know if there will physical copies? if you remember, there was a bonus EP given away at indie stores with purchase of Go-Go Boots. i'll happily return my copy from importcds if i can go do the indie store and get a physical (lossless) copy. does anyone remember if this was a total surprise or if we knew indie stores would have it in advance?

i'm just hoping the download offers a lossless option. more people have to go with this these days. it's why Bandcamp, HDTracks and some other band websites are great nowadays.

-justin

The download is 256kb

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... and_id=474

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

linkous wrote:
notdaryet wrote:anyone know if there will physical copies? if you remember, there was a bonus EP given away at indie stores with purchase of Go-Go Boots. i'll happily return my copy from importcds if i can go do the indie store and get a physical (lossless) copy. does anyone remember if this was a total surprise or if we knew indie stores would have it in advance?

-justin

The download is 256kb

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... and_id=474

The leak I downloaded was 320kb...seems odd that the version you pay for would be lower quality?????