930 Club - 3/22 & 3/23

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gepman

Re: 930 Club - 3/22 & 3/23

Post by gepman »

vwmule wrote:http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=571308

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-03-22

Enjoy

As usual, much appreciated.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

jck747 wrote:Does anyone know why the show was stopped briefly last night (forgot which song)? It seemed like maybe someone had an issue (fainting?). It was quickly resumed and nothing was said so I assume it ended up being something minor, thankfully.

Dude was fine & then he wasn't. First he crumbled back into John's lap (John was the guy in the wheelchair). We managed to prop him back up & he seemed to shake it off; then he dropped like a rock right in front of me. Now I was thinkin', how I am I gonna negotiate the rest of the rawk show without steppin' all over this guy, but saner heads (and when I say saner heads, I really mean Cooley Girl) prevailed. She got the bands attention & they stopped mid-song & the staff came in & extricated the poor devil. Rumor has it (and it's pretty well substantiated) that he bit off more than he could chew. uncle rickey turns to me and votes me as next most likely to drop, but once again I fooled him with my staying power. Then the band kicked back in w/the prettiest goddamn motherfucker on the silver screen & I had a little more elbow room.

Last night another miscreant hit the deck in the vicinity of Sat. night's collapse & Cooley noted that seemed to be a tough spot right there.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

gepman

Post by gepman »

uncle rickey wrote:Shit Shots Count
When He's Gone
Get Downtown
Ronnie and Neil
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Do It Yourself
Self-Destructive Zones
Dragon Pants
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Steve McQueen
Made Up English Oceans
Hanging On
Panties In Your Purse
Pauline Hawkins
Primer Coat
The Part of Him
First Air of Autumn
Sinkhole
Space City
18 Wheels of Love
Natural Light
Puttin' People on the Moon
Encore:
Love Like This
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Three dimes down
Dead Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Only made it to Saturday night's show. Pretty f'n epic is all I can say.
Cooley has been getting a lot of credit lately for stepping up (deservedly so) and he was great on Saturday night, that said, Patterson really stood out to me. Always good to see the band play when Patterson is in a good mood, and that seemed to be the case this evening.
My highlights were:
Ronnie and Neil, Dragon Pants, Steve McQueen, 18 Wheels, Sinkhole, PPOTM (the good - angry version)...
Cooley: to get both Panties in Your Purse AND Love Like This... I feel lucky to have been there.

On a "funny" note, I wore my Cooley / Hood tee, had 2 different people ask me if they could take a picture of my shirt. Made me feel like the purtiest girl at the party...! :-)

Can't wait until Lancaster in June!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Slipkid42 wrote: uncle rickey turns to me and votes me as next most likely to drop, but once again I fooled him with my staying power. Then the band kicked back in w/the prettiest goddamn motherfucker on the silver screen & I had a little more elbow room.

:D ;)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Penny Lane wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote: uncle rickey turns to me and votes me as next most likely to drop, but once again I fooled him with my staying power. Then the band kicked back in w/the prettiest goddamn motherfucker on the silver screen & I had a little more elbow room.

:D ;)

Well, Cooley's throwing off just TOO MUCH TESTOSTERONE.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Although it's pretty well understood that Sunday night is the worst night for a live rock show it looks like DBT, at least for one night, is trying to dispel the myth. In other words that 3/23 setlist from the 9:30 is a mother fucker! :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

vwmule

Post by vwmule »

Anyone know who was recording last night from back in the soundbooth? I had a battery issue that resulted in three lost songs late in the set and would like to find another source to patch from. My recording came out really nice, the equipment issue aside.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Had an excellent time last night.

Great seeing all the 3DD folks, albeit briefly. Bummer that Ben's was closed--but it was Sunday, so I guess that factors in.

Brought a DBT newbie to the show, he really loved it. Thought they were incredible, and was pretty excited to see a *rock show*. The missus was bummed that she was couch-ridden, but we'll try to get out later in the tour.

A few reflections/pick-ups from the night:

1. Blitzen Trapper are incredible as well. Have listened to their records, but never heard them live. Definitely going to see them next time they swing through.

2. Never seen a whole show up top, center over the soundbooth--the sound is incredible. 9:30 Club has always been a top-tier East Coast club in my mind, but last night's sound from up there put it over, big time. I missed being on the rail, but man, it sounded goooooooood.

3. A lot of people left at the encore break. Up top cleared out a good deal, and down below did as well. I guess the Sunday thing was the issue.

4. First time seeing live this line-up. Lots to love. The interplay between Cooley and PH seemed more, happy? Don't get me wrong, there was never strife on stage--but they looked like they genuinely were having fun last night. Previous tours, especially towards the end of the last one, you could see they were tired. Loved Matt's dances. Jay continues to be an incredible talent--I forget what song it was, but he played a great guitar part and then immediately switched to piano and I was just in awe. And EZB...well, that man is always a monster.

5. Grand Canyon is the best closer that they've ever had. I miss PWD, or A&F...but dang, GC is perfect.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

vwmule wrote:Anyone know who was recording last night from back in the soundbooth? I had a battery issue that resulted in three lost songs late in the set and would like to find another source to patch from. My recording came out really nice, the equipment issue aside.

BigTom?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks to Allisonsdc, the newest member of our video crew and Uncle Rickey for the pics

Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Flying Rabbit wrote:3. A lot of people left at the encore break. Up top cleared out a good deal, and down below did as well. I guess the Sunday thing was the issue.

Same thing happened at the Ritz show in Raleigh which was on a Friday night so I wouldn't chalk it up solely to the Sunday night thing but no doubt, it played a part. A good deal of the folks I saw leaving were friends who'd seen the Truckers before. Odd, considering that the encore section is pretty much known as the second set in Truckers parlance and it's also likely where you'll hear them break out the sweet stuff. I could somewhat understand it if this was still the days of the marathon 3 hours shows but that wasn't the case. Still, maybe longer than the average rock show so that may help explain the exodus.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:3. A lot of people left at the encore break. Up top cleared out a good deal, and down below did as well. I guess the Sunday thing was the issue.

Same thing happened at the Ritz show in Raleigh which was on a Friday night so I wouldn't chalk it up solely to the Sunday night thing but no doubt, it played a part. A good deal of the folks I saw leaving were friends who'd seen the Truckers before. Odd, considering that the encore section is pretty much known as the second set in Truckers parlance and it's also likely where you'll hear them break out the sweet stuff. I could somewhat understand it if this was still the days of the marathon 3 hours shows but that wasn't the case. Still, maybe longer than the average rock show so that may help explain the exodus.

Yeah, it was interesting. Personally, I've only left a show early twice--once when my wife got sick at a Wilco show in Delaware, and once for the DBT/Dylan @ MPP. I'm sure there's a thread about that second one :lol:

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Had an excellent time last night.

Great seeing all the 3DD folks, albeit briefly. Bummer that Ben's was closed--but it was Sunday, so I guess that factors in.

Brought a DBT newbie to the show, he really loved it. Thought they were incredible, and was pretty excited to see a *rock show*. The missus was bummed that she was couch-ridden, but we'll try to get out later in the tour.

Yes, you disappeared the past few years, are you still sporten that Civil War beard? I fully expect to see you and Femrabbit in Lancaster in June which is not far from you.

vwmule

Post by vwmule »

Blitzen Trapper from Sunday: https://archive.org/details/blt2014-03-23

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

These two shows have to be some of the best DBT shows I have seen in awhile. It was great seeing some familiar faces and meeting the new.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

mark

Post by mark »

Only got to see the Saturday show but it was wonderful. Hadn't seen the guys in over a year (I have a two year old and don't get to as many shows as I used to). Good mix of old and new songs. Probably hadn't heard them do 18 Wheels of Love in 10 years or more. Also, I've only heard them do Panties in Your Purse once before (at a club in Richmond where the sound was freaking in and out). This version of the band seems tight and in a good groove. Love this band as much as ever.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Yeah, it was interesting. Personally, I've only left a show early twice--once when my wife got sick at a Wilco show in Delaware, and once for the DBT/Dylan @ MPP. I'm sure there's a thread about that second one :lol:

I told my wife we could leave the Merriweather show right after the Truckers & she looked @ me like I was a nutjob. We left 7 songs into Dylan (after it took us 3/4 of the song to figure out he was singin' Tangled Up In Blue). It was great seeing you again FR.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

pa_heathen wrote:These two shows have to be some of the best DBT shows I have seen in awhile. It was great seeing some familiar faces and meeting the new.

It was very nice meeting you & your husband. Hope to see ya up in Lancaster.

These were 2 sensational shows & the birthday weekend added to the festivities. There was a lot of jovial banter between Patterson & Cooley & a few rarities were played. I spent Saturday night in Cooleyville w/John & Susan & Bobman & Kari (from FB). Mark from Calvert County was there w/his daughter Megan & Bill introduced me to Haley & Mike from Gettysburg. Also got to pregame in the Back Bar w/GG & son (who had on a cool Muscle Shoals shirt). Bill & Frank got to my place late, so Bill was antsy that we wouldn't make the cut for the Back Bar. They take the first 30 in line, in early & we just slithered in under the wire. Shwew. The setlist from Sat. was very strong & I especially liked the Dragon Pants segue into Hearing Jimmy Loud. Do It Yourself & Panties were nice surprises & Space City/18 Wheels was sweet. allisonsdc & I made a beer run & somehow got 11 Stellas back into the fray (she is multi-dexterous). Encore opened w/Love Like This & that packed a pretty mean punch (or maybe it was that cookie). I had a couple of first-timers behind me & it was fun to see their virgin face-melts. This buxom blonde in a green dress pushed her way up front during Hell No & irked the others; but she was just another bump grind to me. Everybody had a great time except for the dude who went horizontal. At the end, I spotted lynne & Guinness in the VIP section beside the stage (there really is no VIP section beside the stage). They just happened to be outside smoking & Jonicont slid 'em in. That guy's a prince.

Bill dropped off a birthday present for Patterson @ the bus & I left Matt & couple of boxes of 45s on Sunday & we headed to Nellies to pregame. The joint was hoppin'. Some kind of drag queen event going on downstairs & a flag football banquet upstairs. 3DDers in the corner by the window. Everything was hunky dory, 'cept that they were playin' the Spice Girls channel @ full blare & Bill couldn't hear the commentary on the UK/Wichita game. Tyler headed over to get in line & we ended up watching the end of the game on his phone. Had a lovely chat w/allisonsdc & Kevidently in the Back Bar & then made my way to the balcony. I was substitute spotter for Jonicont. Frank stood guard to his left so that he had a clear videoshot of the stage. It was a good thing Frank didn't need replacement 'coz I'm sure I would've had a fist bump or 2 blocking the view. Big Tom did double duty. He not only provided a beautiful stream for the distant heAthens; he spelled Jonicont on video a few times. Dude can multitask w/the best of 'em. Anyway, as FR alluded to, the balcony was almost clear during the encore so I got some sweet photo-ops of my own (although not as sweet as tp's Boston shots I'm sure [or ur's or Allison's shots from down front]). The sound on the balcony is exceptional. It was even better in the center. Carl Perkin's Cadillac sounded heavenly. Oh & The Deeper In. Sister fucking, a 17 year old & birthday cake to boot. What a show!

The new stuff is extra awesome live. MUEO has come a looong way since I first heard it in Asheville 7 weeks ago. 'Til He's Dead Or Rises is severely underrated. Natural Light takes on new life when you share it with a thousand people in a crowded club. All the songs already feel like familiar friends & seem to flow no matter what spot they hold in the setlist. The band is tight as shit right now (even though they are also loose, if ya get my drift). Matador has it dialed in & Cole is a maestro w/the lights & Dirty Paul keeps 'em running smoothly. If you are close enough to catch one of these shows, I highly recommend it.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Gang Green wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:Had an excellent time last night.

Yes, you disappeared the past few years, are you still sporten that Civil War beard? I fully expect to see you and Femrabbit in Lancaster in June which is not far from you.

Yeah, all for good reasons. I transitioned into a new job at my church as assistant pastor, and so my time got a little more crunched and not as 9-5ish. We moved to a new place in town, so that preoccupied us, and well just life haha. Vacations hit when they were in town, or something with the church, etc. Still, we've tried to keep in touch with some of ya'll through FB.

Yup--still have the CW beard. I really want to get a pic with EZB sometime haha.

We're gonna try an hit up AmishLand. Hopefully it'll work out.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I could somewhat understand it if this was still the days of the marathon 3 hours shows but that wasn't the case.

Saturday in Richmond was legit 3 hours+ (33 songs). Likewise night 2 in DC....if not actually 3 hours it was very close, at least 2:50. DC Night 1 and Raleigh were both well over 2 1/2 hours.

vwmule

Post by vwmule »

gepman

Post by gepman »

Appreciate your efforts! Thanks.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Tyler wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I could somewhat understand it if this was still the days of the marathon 3 hours shows but that wasn't the case.

Saturday in Richmond was legit 3 hours+ (33 songs). Likewise night 2 in DC....if not actually 3 hours it was very close, at least 2:50. DC Night 1 and Raleigh were both well over 2 1/2 hours.

My "unofficial" watch watching had them coming on about 10:15 and off at 1:15...
Epic nonetheless.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I didn’t know where to post this but just wanted to make sure y’all know how fucking good the DVDs from this show are.

Jonicont is so good as editing these videos it makes me wonder what his real job was prior to retirement. The show was excellent and the document of it is as well. When the second song is Lookout Mountain you know this show is going to be a shit kicker. There are three DVD’s and # 2 contains so many good songs in a row it’s an embarrassment of riches. The solo that Cooley plays at the end of World Of Hurt is life affirming.

If you were at this show I don’t know why you haven’t gotten these already. (Talk about the ultimate souvenir.) If you like this band getting these is a wise decision.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6874
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Glad you enjoyed it Rocky

Rocky wrote:The solo that Cooley plays at the end of World Of Hurt is life affirming.

Truth be told
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Couple more reviews are in

Well shot, good sound, and a great show. DBT brings it, and you feel like you are in the audience with the other folks there at the 9:30 club in DC. A rockin' show, great set list, and some personal faves such as Tornadoes, Carl Perkins'Cadillac and Where the Devil Don't stay mix with new classics like Pauline Hawkins make this a great addition to the collection
F. White

I have watched it several times,and it was an awesome show. One I would loved to have attended. Y'all did a fabulous job with the DVDs, the video and sound quality is top notch. Thanks for making it available and keep up the good work
Porkulater

I thought that this was excellent. The Austin City Limits DVD didn't capture the band in it's natural habitat like this did. It was raw, just like seeing them in person
Werk

Great DVD ... we enjoyed watching it. Kudos to the 3DD film and sound crew for capturing the spirit & intensity of a live DBT show.... well done!
Freefall

"Flawless audio, multiple camera angles, and the sort of setlist that reminds us all why DBT is America's greatest rock band, despite the fact that several members are now eligible for AARP memberships. Talk about blowing the curve. Also, dig the acapella intro to "Play It All Night Long" - a double shot of Zevon! Anyway, if Black Ice Verite left you craving more, look no further - this one could just as easily have gotten an official release. Nuci's Space is a great organization and a very worthwhile cause. I donated - you should too."
Jimmyjack

Got my DVD of Patterson's 50th birthday show. Wow what a great job you and the rest of the crew did on that. I think it was great you were able to record this show for history and for a great cause! The sound quality was outstanding and the video was equally professional (better than Live at the 40 watt and right up there with the ACL dvd.). Just wanted to let you know how much we less tech savvy fans appreciate all the live feeds and now this great DVD. Props to you and the whole crew!
BBCoach
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow. Perhaps you ought to post those reviews in the Nuci's thread, John. It appears to be quite an incentive. It sure reminded me that it's past time to get my contribution in.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I made it to six shows on this tour. The 9:30 show wasn't one of them, but the DVD represents the night well and gave me a strong sense of what I missed. It also highlights what I have enjoyed so much about this tour: the chance to see the band at its most comfortable and relaxed. The editing is really impressive, with some nice long takes that keep the focus where it should be, on the playing. The sound is superb, even when played loudly
Notarydpo72
Always go to the show

markuso

Post by markuso »

Got the DVD a couple days ago and it is AWESOME!! Was fortunate enough to be at both 9:30 shows and getting to relive Sunday night is pretty cool!! Thanks to Jonicont, Bill, Allison and Cooleygirl for the great job you all did filming it!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Get 'em while they're hot

Always go to the show