NYC on March 20

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dogstar

Re: NYC on March 20

Post by dogstar »

I noticed the same sort of thing as Joelle at Homecoming. the energy in the shows was very much up and down. I think this has got a lot to do with the band still working out how to fit the new songs into the sets - they've only be playing them consistently for about 8 shows. I'm guessing it will sort itself out eventually (hopefully by the time they get to Europe)
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

joelle wrote:

and lastly, from me at least, the crowd was horrendous. new york, come on? really? nearly everyone had their phones out! the entire night. and it wasn't just about taking pictures or videos. the people around me were on facebook, whatever. like i said, i am a jerk. i had to move away, and stand alone by the back wall en route to the bathroom , by the beer line, to escape the crowd of assholes on their phones. they were killing me.
why do people even go to concerts, i wonder. they talk incessantly, stay on their phones and don't listen. i was bummed, then pissed off, then bummed.

Don't ever see a show in Columbus, OH. EVERY show is like this, and it makes me want to yell at everyone
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

There is allready a movement called Slowfood (a very European concept). I am now considering founding the Slowsongs movement.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Zip City wrote:
joelle wrote: new york, come on? really? nearly everyone had their phones out! the entire night.

Don't ever see a show in Columbus, OH. EVERY show is like this, and it makes me want to yell at everyone

Yeah, this is pretty much every show I see, everywhere. Not that I disagree with your sentiments, joelle and Zip. It's interesting that you're starting to see more artists with a no phones/cameras policy, but that's a tough thing to pull off.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

joelle wrote: (hell, wednesday is my absolute favorite song in the entire catalog!)

YES. YESSSS. Play this song more!

NY crowds really suck but all crowds suck nowadays. I finally got to go to SXSW and was amazed and refreshed at the audiences at the old country bars (shows like Bill Kirchen, Kevin Russell, Otis G) didn't pick up their phones once during the shows. I had forgotten what that was like just to enjoy something and not worry about documenting it and now I need to see more shows where everyone in the crowd is over 45.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

The curfew was a bummer but getting to see Grand Canyon live made it OK. I think I like it even better than Angels & Fuselage as a set closer, honestly.

Before the show when we were all waiting outside the venue before doors, this couple sort of cut in line after some of us had already been out there for like an hour. I ended standing next to them on the rail. Karmic payback arrived at the beginning of Hanging On, when somebody walked up to the guy and socked him in the face for no apparent reason. I don't advocate violence, and I'm glad the aggressor got kicked out immediately. But seriously, don't cut in line.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Jack Flash wrote:The curfew was a bummer but getting to see Grand Canyon live made it OK. I think I like it even better than Angels & Fuselage as a set closer, honestly.

Before the show when we were all waiting outside the venue before doors, this couple sort of cut in line after some of us had already been out there for like an hour. I ended standing next to them on the rail. Karmic payback arrived at the beginning of Hanging On, when somebody walked up to the guy and socked him in the face for no apparent reason. I don't advocate violence, and I'm glad the aggressor got kicked out immediately. But seriously, don't cut in line.

I totally advocate violence for that kind of offense! The inevitable karmic sock in the face..

-Rail and line justice seeker

Bill---was the Iron Maiden guy your new BFF??!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

uncle rickey wrote:Yeah, this is pretty much every show I see, everywhere. Not that I disagree with your sentiments, joelle and Zip. It's interesting that you're starting to see more artists with a no phones/cameras policy, but that's a tough thing to pull off.
Yes what he said. This isn't tied to the Truckers or NYC but it's everywhere. People are just too addicted to their devices. Smart phones are a misnomer. Now you kids get offa my lawn!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

The Fool in Me

Post by The Fool in Me »

Rocky wrote:
uncle rickey wrote:Yeah, this is pretty much every show I see, everywhere. Not that I disagree with your sentiments, joelle and Zip. It's interesting that you're starting to see more artists with a no phones/cameras policy, but that's a tough thing to pull off.
Yes what he said. This isn't tied to the Truckers or NYC but it's everywhere. People are just too addicted to their devices. Smart phones are a misnomer. Now you kids get offa my lawn!

Don't be an old asshole ;)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

joelle wrote: i had to move away, and stand alone by the back wall en route to the bathroom

No wonder I couldn't find you
Always go to the show

joelle

Post by joelle »

Jonicont wrote:
joelle wrote: i had to move away, and stand alone by the back wall en route to the bathroom

No wonder I couldn't find you

and in an ironic twist ( don't tell Beebs i used that word)
i didn't have my phone with me (i had forgotten it back where i was staying.)
also,
don't you ever have to pee?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

The current lineup of DBT is imo the strongest yet. They have fun, they kick ass, they are tight as can be and live, they have never been better.

The new stuff sounds incredible live and while one day, I may be less than impressed at a DBT show, that day ain't happened yet. And I doubt it will anytime soon.

Thanks again DBT for another night to restore the soul. Great time seeing so many good familiar and happy faces once again.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Great pics Johnny - sorry I did not get to run into you at the show. Saw Beantownbubba briefly and that was it -

Not a big for of T5, but the boys did us proud - good to see the place packed for them...could not get through the crowd at all..
Nice to pull out Why Henry Drinks....rock on y'all.....

PS - having a curfew is just like being grounded....we gotta get them back to Webster Hall next time where they can play it all night long..
Last edited by Howlinwolf on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Penny Lane wrote:
Jack Flash wrote:The curfew was a bummer but getting to see Grand Canyon live made it OK. I think I like it even better than Angels & Fuselage as a set closer, honestly.

I totally advocate violence for that kind of offense! The inevitable karmic sock in the face..

-Rail and line justice seeker

Bill---was the Iron Maiden guy your new BFF??!

I only briefly talked to him near the end of the show. I told him Brad Morgan was a fellow Iron Maiden fan and he replied, "Everyone is a Maiden fan!" I laughed at that one.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I didn't notice anyone on their phones up near the stage except between sets or to take the occasional photo or video. I agree that people should stay off their magic phones during the shows but it's not something that I"m going to let ruin the show for me. I don't often get the rail except for DBT and I have found that metal audiences are the best for focusing on the music rather than their phones...particularly at Saint Vitus Bar in Brooklyn (best metal bar I've ever set foot in). Widespread Panic crowds are also into the music during the show rather than checking their Facebook wall.

I can't speak for Jonicont but I can say that I never take a bathroom break during a DBT set. I wouldn't want to miss any song that we might get nowadays.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

uncle rickey wrote:Primer Coat
The Part of Him
'Til He's Dead or Rises
Pauline Hawkins
Pulaski

On paper that seems like a subdued start to the show, in my mind these songs are more "middle of the set"...well except for Pauline Hawkins, that fits anywhere.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

angryandy

Post by angryandy »

I enjoyed the show. Although they played 10 or so songs from English Oceans, I did not get a "here's another one off the new album" buzzkill vibe. This tells me that I REALLY like English Oceans.

It was nice to meet some of the folks featured in the photos above.

The 11:00pm curfew did not bother me as I had to catch a 11:30pm bus home anyway.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Somebody get EZB a heater!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lots of comments, not a lot of time right now.

Negative first: That curfew is absolute bullshit. It makes no sense (NYC? Far West side? No neighbors?) and it obviously impacted the show. Maybe regular NYC concertgoers know all about it and assume it but it seems like this ought to be announced when the show is announced. I enjoyed the show just fine and am happy I went but I feel like I was played for a sucker, which is not a nice feeling to have. If I'm going to decide to drive 7 hrs round trip for a concert, I'd like to know ahead of time that it's for a 2 hour max show w/ all kinds of artificial boundaries to it (I think the band's struggles w/ the set list and the rushed sound of a few of the tunes were directly tied to having one eye on the clock). This is not a complaint about the band, I know they have nothing to do w/ setting curfews and don't want them. But it still sucks.

I thought the 4 song starter was a mistake. Not so much for the slowness as for the newness. There were plenty of 3dders and other fans there but it's NYC; you're guaranteed to have plenty of folks there due to the buzz and they're all going to be in a "show me" mood. Playing 4 new ones that are also slowish (plus a 5th slowish one in Pulaski) to start the show was just not the way to capture their attention. But it's the Drive By Truckers. By the end of the show they had absolutely everyone's full attention (from where I was standing anyway - hardly any smartphone bullshit and people even stopped buying drinks to listen - saw it happen more than once). I thought it was totally awesome the way that happened and it's a credit/tribute to the band that they made it happen. "Primer Coat" is not an opener. I'm not sure exactly what makes for a good opener, but whatever it is, Primer Coat doesn't have it. And yes I'm a big fan of the song.

More generally, I agree w/ Joelle about the pacing of the show but in the end I thought it was a typically fine show by DBT and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Particular favorites: Living Bubba, Why Henry Drinks, Hearing Jimmy Loud and Hell No. I thought Pauline Hawkins sounded particularly rushed, especially compared to the longer version played in New Haven a couple of days earlier.

Must give props to Heather the bartender. She's awesome and if you attend lots of shows at T5 definitely seek her out, she'll take good care of you. At least last nite she was at the bar at the back of the main floor.

I thought Mattador worked miracles in what must be a very difficult room.

I wonder why PH doesn't introduce all the band members anymore? Not a big deal, just a little quirk I've noticed this tour.

It was great to see all the 3dders i did see but I'm sorry to have missed so many, too. There's got to be a better way...

Emandrisdad: Looked for you at Valhalla both before (after McGee's) and after the show, but that didn't work out too well lol.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:Emandrisdad: Looked for you at Valhalla both before (after McGee's) and after the show, but that didn't work out too well lol.

Valhalla? :shock: :shock: Skinhead place??
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I was sitting at the bar. I didn't know you guys were there until I turned my head and saw you all walking out the door. Sorry about that. I didn't see you at T5 either but did catch Ryan and Amy (I hope my memory is right) from a distance.

As far as the curfew, its a union thing. After 11 the stage hands pay scale goes up. I saw The Replacements years ago at the Beacon and the stage was literally being dismantled as they played the encore.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

emandrisdad wrote:I was sitting at the bar. I didn't know you guys were there until I turned my head and saw you all walking out the door. Sorry about that. I didn't see you at T5 either but did catch Ryan and Amy (I hope my memory is right) from a distance.

As far as the curfew, its a union thing. After 11 the stage hands pay scale goes up. I saw The Replacements years ago at the Beacon and the stage was literally being dismantled as they played the encore.

That would be Beth, but don't worry, she's out doing the tourist thing in the City today and will probably never see this.

Damn, I thought I looked at the folks at the bar.

I prefer to think of the "union thing" as "the refusal of the promoters to get their economic act together to present a show the way it should be presented" thing. I could go on a long diatribe on the subject but I'll spare everyone. Bottom line, it's not the unions saying "no" it's the promoters saying "we don't want to pay what we've agreed to pay." Unions get plenty of grief, some of it deserved, but this isn't one of those times.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:I prefer to think of the "union thing" as "the refusal of the promoters to get their economic act together to present a show the way it should be presented" thing. I could go on a long diatribe on the subject but I'll spare everyone. Bottom line, it's not the unions saying "no" it's the promoters saying "we don't want to pay what we've agreed to pay." Unions get plenty of grief, some of it deserved, but this isn't one of those times.

Correct. 11pm was the time agreed upon in the last contract negotiations. if clubs want to stay open later, they need to negotiate better next time around
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I'm not giving them grief but that's going to be the "reason" given for curfews every time.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I prefer to think of the "union thing" as "the refusal of the promoters to get their economic act together to present a show the way it should be presented" thing. I could go on a long diatribe on the subject but I'll spare everyone. Bottom line, it's not the unions saying "no" it's the promoters saying "we don't want to pay what we've agreed to pay." Unions get plenty of grief, some of it deserved, but this isn't one of those times.

Correct. 11pm was the time agreed upon in the last contract negotiations. if clubs want to stay open later, they need to negotiate better next time around

Or they need to pay the overtime.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I had a great time last night.

1) Regarding curfews and unions: NYC is a union town. I believe the union that represents the workers at the rock show halls is the same one that represents those who work on the crew at Broadway shows, broadcast television and sporting events. From what I understand the band's crew is not allowed to schlep gear onto the stage. They can only act as technicians once the stage is set up. Only a union member can carry the gear on and off the stage. (I do not know how it works with the load in from the trailer into the venue.) Their scale goes to time and a half if the show goes past 11 PM (or maybe it is if they work past midnight or 1 AM and they are assuming one to two hours to dismantle the stage setup.) If the band does not finish by curfew the overtime comes out of their end, not the promoter's. It may be a pain in the ass for bands and translate into shorter shows for bands BUT these guys do make a decent living doing what they do. I play in bands with two guys who are in that union, though they work primarily in broadcast television, not as stage hands. In the past few years the networks have been royally screwing the union workers by firing everyone and then hiring them on as independent contractors or something like that.

If they were to use non-union labor the union would set up a picket line with a giant inflatable rat. There will also be thugs on hand to kick some serious ass. Remember, Terminal 5 is deep in the heart of Hells Kitchen, the neighborhood where Jimmy Conway (the DeNiro character in Goodfellas) was from.

2) I thought this was the best show I've caught so far with the current lineup. Maybe this is because the good union workers at the venue saw that I was walking with a cane and provided me and two other guys with decent seats near the rail. They would not even accept a tip when I offered one.

3) Met some great people for the first time and I told them to register on 3DD and join the party. This album and tour has really helped us get some new blood on this site, not that there was anything wrong with the older members. Just that with new people things will seem fresh around here and we won't be perceived as a closed community.

4) This was my last show on this leg. I plan on catching a bunch of shows in the secondary markets next June. It was great seeing all of the members of the tribe. The highlight has to be that both Bill and I were wearing Opeth t-shirts last night! \w/
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts