Toads Place 3/18/2014

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Whispering Pines

Re: Toads Place 3/18/2014

Post by Whispering Pines »

Motoring to New Haven tomorrow (and NYC on Thursday) to catch my first rocks show since a Northeast triple play last spring. Booked a cheap motel to avoid a wee-hour drive home and had to chuckle when I had the option of saving 10% with my AARP card. As the song goes, "it's fucking great to (still) be alive."

RMD

Post by RMD »

CooleyGirl wrote:
RMD wrote:Uggh. Just saw the Delaware set list. Two tunes on my wishlist for Toad's were played, When The Pin Hits The Shell and 18 Wheels. :cry:

You never know what you'll get. That's half the fun!
I wouldn't mind hearing those 2 again, as well as Do It Yourself, that version kicked ass!
Also hoping for Life in the Factory, Company I Keep and People Who Died tomorrow. An acoustic version of Pulaski would be pretty sweet as well.
No matter what they play, I'm excited they're back here and that some of my friends will finally get to see them.

I agree. There are always a few you really want hear though. That being said add Loaded Gun In The Closet :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Whispering Pines wrote:Motoring to New Haven tomorrow (and NYC on Thursday) to catch my first rocks show since a Northeast triple play last spring. Booked a cheap motel to avoid a wee-hour drive home and had to chuckle when I had the option of saving 10% with my AARP card. As the song goes, "it's fucking great to (still) be alive."

Yeah, right now I'm planning to drive home after the show. I've been figuring that if the drive gets to be too much, I'm never more than a couple of minutes from a hotel on my route. I may change my mind about that, we'll see. Already have plans to stay over in NYC, though.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Driving up to New Haven tomorrow with the Mrs. who decided she wants to go but will need to drive back to Long Island after the show so getting ready for a long night.

Already booked a hotel room in NYC for Thursday's show. Bring it on.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

headhunter wrote:Driving up to New Haven tomorrow with the Mrs. who decided she wants to go but will need to drive back to Long Island after the show so getting ready for a long night.

Already booked a hotel room in NYC for Thursday's show. Bring it on.

et tu, headhunte? I so got ripped off not making this run.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

So excited and happy I could burst. Hometown show, I'm walking to the venue after work, and I'm sleeping in my own bed tonight. Woo hoo!!!
Can I get in line yet? :D
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

It truly pains me to say that I woke with with a powerful virus and a severely closed and sore throat. Made it out to the Dr's Office but that's it for me.

Sadly my wife and I will now not be able to make the show tonight. Hoping I will be well enough in a couple of days to catch DBT in NYC at T5.
First time I've been sick in years and the timing really sucks.

Was so looking forward to this one. Have fun gang!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

At Three Sheets. Been here a little while now; bubba made an appearance but left to get a pie at Pepe's. Hanging now with Worldwide Bill, RevMatt, and Frank. Bill and Matt got very excited that Opeth is on the jukebox.

Clams

Post by Clams »

headhunter wrote:It truly pains me to say that I woke with with a powerful virus and a severely closed and sore throat. Made it out to the Dr's Office but that's it for me.

Sadly my wife and I will now not be able to make the show tonight. Hoping I will be well enough in a couple of days to catch DBT in NYC at T5.

total bummer :(
If you don't run you rust

RMD

Post by RMD »

Heading down in a little while. What is a guess on DBT's start time? I am guessing 10ish?

Clams

Post by Clams »

RMD wrote:Heading down in a little while. What is a guess on DBT's start time? I am guessing 10ish?

In Delaware the other night, it was Blitzen trapper at 730 sharp and dbt at 900. But that might have had to do with the curfew.
If you don't run you rust

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

headhunter wrote:It truly pains me to say that I woke with with a powerful virus and a severely closed and sore throat. Made it out to the Dr's Office but that's it for me.

Aw, honey. I'm sorry to hear that.

- bubba

Flea

Post by Flea »

Ya know, a few bong hits would have you feeling right as rain. Just sayin'.
Now it's dark.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

7:30 is when you start bingo, not a rock show.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

A Ghost to Most
Pauline Hawkins
Shit Shots Count
When He's Gone
Space City
Goode's Field Road
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Dragon Pants
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
Hanging On
Pulaski
The Opening Act
Marry Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Natural Light
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Zip City
Lookout Mountain
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Grand Canyon

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Interesting that Cooley has opened every show of the tour so far.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Although this tour has really just got started - quite a few tour debuts last night.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Dragon Pants. Nice. I was thinking it might be closer to RSD before those songs started to be played but it's all good. I'd love to hear Rock Solid in St. Louis next week.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The drive by truckers are a really, really, really good band.

More when I can.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Bubba at a loss for words? What is this? :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Meant it more as being pressed for time, pearly, but as I suspect you'll see below, the words are getting more difficult to come by as well.

Being a sycophantic, ass kissing lemming, or even appearing to be a sycophantic, ass kissing lemming makes me really uncomfortable. It sure as hell doesn't jive w/ my self-image. I gave up on any pretense of objectivity when it comes to DBT some time ago, and that was ok. But now? It's getting ridiculous. I may need ponygirl's picturebook thesaurus because I'm running out of words to describe the highs and hard as I may look I still don't have much use for negatives. <Shrug> So be it. Here's what I got, take it or leave it.

I went to a Drive By Truckers show and the Meters showed up. Or maybe it was the Swampers. Anyway, some guy named Hood was up there. I never thought I'd say this about a DBT show, but the first part of the show was about the groove. They played rock songs, but they more swung than rocked. You know how when reggae's right, you slip into the groove long before you check the lyrics, melody or anything else? It was kind of like that. I don't want to overstate, I'm trying to describe a sound that was rock, but w/ the pedal not quite to the metal, but w/ a purpose. Not re-arranged, but just a little different, a little funkier, a little more rhythmically oriented. First four songs were like that. Then came "Space City." 'nuff said. I could listen to that song every day for the rest of my life and consider it time well spent.

And then came "Goode's Field Road" and something changed big time. I don't know if Sly & Robbie left the building to be replaced by Brad and Matt or what, but all of a sudden the band was wielding a mighty big hammer and slamming it down. Rock w/ a capital R. Sinister w/ a capital S. Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR. Loved it. Every version of this I've heard over the past year or maybe 2 has been different and better than the one before. Loved it. Or did I say that already?

"Dragon Pants" was a nice surprise but I still think it should be called "If I Were Jimmy Page." :) I understood why some people were saying the recorded version is Patterson solo under the DBT name, but not last nite. This was a DBT song - much more fully fleshed out w/ the band contributing on all levels.

In my imaginary world, Cooley saw or heard about the negative comments here about the guitar solos on "Hearing Jimmy Loud" and decided to respond last nite. His message? Fuck you, motherfuckers. Song cooked, smoked, shredded, name your adjective.

The following four song "soft" interlude was kind of unusual and neat just for that. Not sure I'd want it that way every night but enjoyed it last nite. The last 2 of the four, "Pulaski" and "The Opening Act" were simply outstanding. I find that "Opening Act" doesn't always work in concert (kind of more like a patterson solo song LOL) but as w/ "Dragon," last nite the band (including Patterson's vocals of course) owned it.

I really like the new opening of "Marry Me." The Eaglesish thing was ear-catching but this is better and less distracting and the song is always a treat to hear.

"Ain't Talkin' Bout Love." Say what?! Uncle Rickey was dazed and confused from this point on :) Totally floored him and for good reason. This band always picks its covers beautifully. When they do them, they own them.

Much has been said about "Hell No I Ain't Happy" by pretty much everyone who's ever commented about hearing it at the rock show. I don't have much to add. Stellar as usual. At a couple of points I just didn't have enough ears to hear everything that was going on: Playing off each other, playing counter to each other, playing on top of each other, Patterson doing his frontman thing, total insanity; A perfect set closer.

Classic DBT moment: Cooley forgot a line of "Zip City". He scrambled to figure out where he was and move on while Patterson looked up, not sure what he was hearing, shuffled closer to Cooley, figured out where the song now was, nodded and went back to his mike. They never missed a beat. If u didn't know the song you wouldn't even know. Total professionals.

During "Grand Canyon" I kept thinking that everyone up on that stage knew Craig in his own way and each of them wanted to honor that in the song. Beautiful. Epic. Practically perfect. The last word every bit as much as "Angels & Fuselage" is.

Speaking of "total professionals," here's the closest thing to a new thought I have: One of the secrets of this band as a live act is that they have mastered the line between professional and inspired amateur. You can still see/hear the part of them that's 21 and working it out in a garage or in front of 10 friends, but you can also hear a crack absolutely at the top of their game professional outfit which knows exactly what it's doing and does it better than anyone else.

In the deep recesses of my mind I can remember quibbling about some aspect of the sound & lights after almost every show in my early days as a fan. Those days are long gone and once again I fear boredom caused by excellence. The crew is every bit the top notch professionals the members of the band are. Matt and Cole are at the top of their game and added their skills to the overall presentation. In particular, the distorted parts of "Grand Canyon" distorted just to "the redline" but not over and the non-distorted parts still sounded clear and clean. I asked Mattador how he did that and he just gave me an enigmatic smile. Cole seemed to be enjoying a larger than usual stage lighting rig :)

I love where this band is at now. It's DBT but a different version of DBT and they sound great. If there's any chance at all you can catch the rock show this time around, I strongly suggest that you do.

Question of the night: Was Cortez there? Only the Shadow knows.

Blitzen Trapper: For me, these guys define the essential questions we mull over regularly on here: What separates one band from another? Why does one "hit" while another can't get any traction? This is obviously a very good band. They can play and they can sing and they have some songs (tho they can use some more hooks). They have good stage presence (though the lead singer could use a dose of charisma). I acknowledge that they're talented. The crowd seemed to like 'em just fine. Yet they don't do anything for me. Can't explain it. I feel bad, but there it is.

Good crowd. About 3/4 full (Yale's on spring break; i assume that's the difference between selling out and not). Very upbeat, friendly and loud w/ no issues. Seemed like a fair number of newbies but that's just a guess.

Pepe's was awesome. As good as I remembered it, which is saying quite a bit. I was going to pull a Clams and bring some back for the boys, but I heard that the whole band and crew had gone there the nite before to celebrate Mattador's bday.

Special thanks to Uncle Rickey, CooleyGirl and Jonicont. You know who you are.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:Question of the night: Was Cortez there? Only the Shadow knows.

I was, bubba. I made it there just in time to catch Blitzen Trapper which, unlike you, I enjoyed quite a bit. I had seen them once before in support of Furr, but I thought their sound was tighter & richer this time around.

The Truckers were fantastic. They looked relaxed & in great spirits and the sound was excellent. Last night's show had the clearest vocals I've yet to experience at a Truckers show. Every lyric was crystal clear. And you are correct bubba in that the band was a little extra funky last night. I'm typically not a huge fan of "Goode's Field Road," but that funked-up version (along with the extended story) was great. The early back-to-back punch of "Pauline Hawkins" & "Shit Shots Count" was pretty special, too. They really knocked those into the upper reaches of the stadium.

Sorry our paths never crossed. I thought I spied you in the back, next to the sound booth during the time between the set and the encore. If that was you, you were in the midst of a conversation with someone & I didn't want to interrupt. I checked right after "Grand Canyon," but at that point, you, if that was you, were gone.

All in all, a great evening of music. It was great to see the band in top form.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

my new sig

In my imaginary world, Cooley saw or heard about the negative comments here about the guitar solos on "Hearing Jimmy Loud" and decided to respond last nite. His message? Fuck you, motherfuckers. Song cooked, smoked, shredded, name your adjective.

I thought that was always his message.

"Ain't Talkin' Bout Love." Say what?! Uncle Rickey was dazed and confused from this point on :) Totally floored him and for good reason. This band always picks its covers beautifully. When they do them, they own them.

I have heard them do this before on the Rock n Roll Means Well tour with The Hold Steady. I distinctly remember it happening in Portland. I think. Not much really was distinct about that tour for me except distinctly loving every show. I could swear I've heard it since then, too, but maybe that was THS?

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yep, that was me. I moved during Grand Canyon. Sorry to miss you. If you're there on Friday pls say hello.

Like I said, I "know" blitzen trapper is good, it just doesn't resonate. I don't know why. FWIW my older son's a fan and is looking forward to seeing them on Friday. You're right about the sound/vocals, too. Very clear and upfront.

Thanks for reminding me about "Pauline Hawkins." I thought the piano break and the following rave up were extra special (and longer than on the recorded version).

Forgot to say earlier: Cooley was interacting w/ the other band members more than I can ever remember. I take it as another sign of how loose yet together this unit is and how much fun they're having.

And I think it's always worth mentioning how amazing it is the way Jay moves around his instruments, often w/in a single song. Given the number of songs he has to be ready to play at a moment's notice, just knowing instantaneously which instrument to play and what his part is seems tough enough.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:

Perhaps that's why I was able to translate it so easily despite my difficulties w/ languages.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

Perhaps that's why I was able to translate it so easily despite my difficulties w/ languages.

you just don't understand, bubba.

- bubba

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Had a great time with the 3DD tribe last night, my first DBT show of the year. (I hibernate from Dec to mid March.) Several highligts:

1) The ultimate jukebox at the 3DD pregame. Bill and I were in our glory as there was more metal, death metal, stoner metal, classic metal and progressive metal than we had time. We headbanged to Kyuss, Opeth, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath and Metallica. Also Three Sheets had one of the best veggie burgers I've ever tasted.

2) Made new friends and told them about 3DD. We met Derek at the pregame and before the show I met a guy, Allan, who just got into DBT a couple of months ago and already owns all of the albums. It was his first show. I hope these guys register.

3) I've sort of ignored Blitzen Trapper for a while now as they are played regularly on the radio station I listen to. Their live show, however, was very good. I didn't know any of the songs but they came across as great players and I am resolved to give their records a chance.

4) Caught the show in the booth with Jonicont and watched Matt work. Matt told us before the set that Toad's Place is one of the more difficult rooms to do sound in. First, the ceiling peaks in a weird spot, at the right hand side of the stage. Second, the room is very wide. Third, the speakers are aimed in three different directions and it is significantly quieter near the sound booth than on the floor.

5) Patterson dedicated "Dragon Pants" to me and said some nice things from the stage. Very humbled and appreciative.

6) Made it home before 3 AM. No traffic on I-95 after midnight.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

RevMatt wrote:Had a great time with the 3DD tribe last night, my first DBT show of the year. (I hibernate from Dec to mid March.) Several highligts:

Welcome back!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

uncle rickey wrote:A Ghost to Most
Pauline Hawkins
Shit Shots Count
When He's Gone
Space City
Goode's Field Road
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Dragon Pants
Hearing Jimmy Loud
Ronnie and Neil
Made Up English Oceans
Hanging On
Pulaski
The Opening Act
Marry Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Natural Light
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Zip City
Lookout Mountain
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Grand Canyon

Space City
Dragon Pants
Pulaski
The Opening Act
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Would love to see those in Europe...Cool to see this songs. Nice mix there n total.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I had a great time last night. The pregame at Three Sheets featured a strong jukebox, good friends, and fine food & beer.

It's always special to get Space City...one of my favorites. It was the first full-band Dragon Pants and only my 9th Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. The latter is one of my favorite covers that DBT does in their set.

Ronnie and Neil is classic DBT and the song that got me into the band. :-)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming