Favorite Third Guitarist?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: Favorite Third Guitarist?

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:
LastLawson wrote:I should clarify: By third guitarist I meant guitarist other than Cooley & Hood, even if they played more solos (like Jason). Also, this thread was meant to be limited to regular guitar playing... if you take away Neff's pedal steel, what memorable guitar parts did he have? IMO, they pale in comparison to the other three. Sure, we haven't heard much of Jay, but that solo on Primer Coat is kickass.

If say his slide on the title track of Go Go Boots is pretty signature

Birthday Boy.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:
LastLawson wrote:I should clarify: By third guitarist I meant guitarist other than Cooley & Hood, even if they played more solos (like Jason). Also, this thread was meant to be limited to regular guitar playing... if you take away Neff's pedal steel, what memorable guitar parts did he have? IMO, they pale in comparison to the other three. Sure, we haven't heard much of Jay, but that solo on Primer Coat is kickass.

If say his slide on the title track of Go Go Boots is pretty signature

Birthday Boy.

Perfect Timing

3DD

Cartoon Gold
ain't no static on the gospel radio

gerg

Post by gerg »

I'm surprised this is even being debated. Isbell in a landslide. If you never saw him in the band or have never listened back to the recordings, one need look no further than the opening credits to Secret to a Happy Ending and his intro to Zip City. This is a great band that has had great lineups that have each jelled nicely, but they've never been a more ferocious or complete live act than they were with Jason. Throw in Neff on pedal steel and it was a great little stretch they had on the road. Musically-speaking. Sounds like it wasn't always wine and roses on the bus.

But I certainly love the arrangement they have now and cannot wait to get back to the rock show. It's been too long.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I dunno if it's Jason or Neff. Neff is the more tasteful, "what would fit this particular song?" kinda player - Jason was still the young "hey watch this kickass shit" kinda player. I admit his parts kicked ass, but they weren't necessarily the subtle additions to the songs that Neff brought.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

gerg wrote:I'm surprised this is even being debated. Isbell in a landslide. If you never saw him in the band or have never listened back to the recordings, one need look no further than the opening credits to Secret to a Happy Ending and his intro to Zip City. This is a great band that has had great lineups that have each jelled nicely, but they've never been a more ferocious or complete live act than they were with Jason. Throw in Neff on pedal steel and it was a great little stretch they had on the road. Musically-speaking. Sounds like it wasn't always wine and roses on the bus.

But I certainly love the arrangement they have now and cannot wait to get back to the rock show. It's been too long.

Agreed 1,000 percent first saw the band live in 2004 and saw em 30 times before Jason left.

but loving the lineup now English Oceans is incredible!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I dunno if it's Jason or Neff. Neff is the more tasteful, "what would fit this particular song?" kinda player - Jason was still the young "hey watch this kickass shit" kinda player. I admit his parts kicked ass, but they weren't necessarily the subtle additions to the songs that Neff brought.

And I never quite warmed to it. Nothing wrong with that style of playing but I liked Neff the steel player a lot more than Neff the six string player. He was very good on guitar but after what Jason had done it just seemed kind of bland to me. I was a little worried when Patterson described Jay's playing as tasteful. That was what he said about Neff and like I said, I never really cared for it that much. To me Jay is a lot more like Jason live. He can do the subtlety thing but he knows when it's time let it rip and I love that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.