Asheville 1/31-2/1/14

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gordonlw

Re: Asheville 1/31-2/1/14

Post by gordonlw »

Tomorrow night just sold out! Pretty sure my friend has 1 extra if anyone needs one.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Flea wrote:'Fess up - one of y'all fornicators drive a yellow jeep with the DC tag "ROCKSHO"?

That's me. I'm at the Sheraton. You drive a pick up with a 9BULLITS plate?
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

gordonlw wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:
Jonicont wrote:So somewhere after going through security at JFK and the Charlotte airport, I lost my drivers license. Couldn't pick up the rental. Waiting at Greyhound for a bus to Statesville. Mark Lynn's gonna catch me on the drive by

I wonder if this would inspire a cover of the "Statesboro Blues" tonight?!?

Statesville and Statesboro are different towns ;) I grew up in Statesville and am sorry you have to spend any time there.

I know...I had a friend form grad school who went to Statesville, NC for an internship years ago..if I'm remembering correctly. Statesboro is in Georgia. I was just thinking that Jonicont's coincidence in a town with such a similar name might justify a cover. I'd never thought about DBT covering that song before, but it just might work....

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

gordonlw wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:
Jonicont wrote:So somewhere after going through security at JFK and the Charlotte airport, I lost my drivers license. Couldn't pick up the rental. Waiting at Greyhound for a bus to Statesville. Mark Lynn's gonna catch me on the drive by

I wonder if this would inspire a cover of the "Statesboro Blues" tonight?!?

Statesville and Statesboro are different towns ;) I grew up in Statesville and am sorry you have to spend any time there.

I know...I had a friend form grad school who went to Statesville, NC for an internship years ago..if I'm remembering correctly. Statesboro is in Georgia. I was just thinking that Jonicont's coincidence in a town with such a similar name might justify a cover. I'd never thought about DBT covering that song before, but it just might work....

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:So somewhere after going through security at JFK and the Charlotte airport, I lost my drivers license.

I hope you don't get carded at the bar.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

joni's old ass with big black X on both hands :lol:

lets hope not.....

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

For those unfortunate enough to not be at the Orange Peel this weekend we are going to try our best to stream both nights. As long as we got strong wifi it's on!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tds-streams#

Flea

Post by Flea »

BigTom wrote:
Flea wrote:'Fess up - one of y'all fornicators drive a yellow jeep with the DC tag "ROCKSHO"?

That's me. I'm at the Sheraton. You drive a pick up with a 9BULLITS plate?

That is me, sir. Thought about coming over to say "Hi" when I saw you out earlier, but the voices in my head convinced me it was merely a coincidental spotting of a local musician and figured I'd look like an idiot.
Now it's dark.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Clams wrote:
Jonicont wrote:So somewhere after going through security at JFK and the Charlotte airport, I lost my drivers license.

i'll buy his retired azz a drink or three

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Clams wrote:

i'll buy his retired azz a drink or three

He can't drink but two beers anyway so you'll get off cheap wolf.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks Tommy
Always go to the show

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

gordonlw wrote:For those unfortunate enough to not be at the Orange Peel this weekend we are going to try our best to stream both nights. As long as we got strong wifi it's on!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tds-streams#

BIG THANKS from the Redwood Coast of Northern California,
hope you all have a Great Night kicking off the 2014 tour...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Epic show last night. I ate dinner w/T. Hardy Morris & his band @ the Wicked Weed, though I didn't know it @ the time. Imagine my surprise when they came out & kicked ass. They warmed the crowd up pretty good. DBT came out & started w/that Rawhide beginning which I knew meant English Oceans & the shit was on. 2 Daughters yes! Space City yes! Why Henry Drinks yes! Everything else was just one blistering well paced rocker after another. I was on the rail in Cooleyville & he just wailed. Matt was doing some little 2-step dance thing & grinnin' like a cackling jackal the whole night. Jay was silky smooth sliding between guitar & keys. EZB pounded those skins silly & Patterson looked like he was really enjoying himself. In fact, the whole band looked & played like a bunch of horny motherfuckers who were gettin' laid for the first time in months. Hope they didn't blow their wad on Night 1.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Slipkid42 wrote:Epic show last night. I ate dinner w/T. Hardy Morris & his band @ the Wicked Weed, though I didn't know it @ the time. Imagine my surprise when they came out & kicked ass. They warmed the crowd up pretty good. DBT came out & started w/that Rawhide beginning which I knew meant English Oceans & the shit was on. 2 Daughters yes! Space City yes! Why Henry Drinks yes! Everything else was just one blistering well paced rocker after another. I was on the rail in Cooleyville & he just wailed. Matt was doing some little 2-step dance thing & grinnin' like a cackling jackal the whole night. Jay was silky smooth sliding between guitar & keys. EZB pounded those skins silly & Patterson looked like he was really enjoying himself. In fact, the whole band looked & played like a bunch of horny motherfuckers who were gettin' laid for the first time in months. Hope they didn't blow their wad on Night 1.

ditto. cooley was all over the stage. i've never seen him so animated

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Any setlist?

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=570070

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-01-31.ak40.flac16

Drive-By Truckers
01/31/2014
The Orange Peel
Asheville, NC

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Made Up English Oceans
03. Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
04. Uncle Frank
05. Why Henry Drinks
06. Women Without Whiskey
07. 18 Wheels of Love
08. Shit Shots Count
09. The Buford Stick
10. 3 Dimes Down
11. Play it All Night Long
12. Space City
13. Mercy Buckets
14. Where the Devil Dont Stay
15. Puttin People on the Moon
16. Self Destructive Zones
17. Dead, Drunk and Naked
18. Guitar Man Upstairs
19. Don't Be In Love Around Me
20. Marry Me
21. Buttholeville

Encore:
22. Birthday Boy
23. Hanging On
24. Get Downtown
25. Pauline Hawkins
26. Zip City
27. Let There Be Rock
28. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
29. People Who Died
Last edited by gordonlw on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Great show last night after a long time without one. I thought my wife was going to crap herself when they played 18 wheels of love - been chasing that one a while. Good to see Jonicont and our friend Josh. Sorry about the license doc - we could have given you a lift coming from Winston-Salem. Can't wait for another rock show tonight.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

See y'all tonight! Haven't seen the full band since 2012, since the last time they played in Asheville. Can't wait!!

roland

Post by roland »

Thanks, Gordon! It's killing me that they're 2 hours away and I can't see em. Going to Lucero in town tonight to curb the pain.

jstout

Post by jstout »

So does anyone know if "Grand Canyon" was the planned end to Saturday's show? Friday's encore was eight songs, Saturday's was six. I think it was the perfect call to end the show with that epic noise jam at the end of "Grand Canyon," but I wondered if that was the plan or not after Pattterson just walked off stage and everyone else in the band was like "well, guess we're done, then."

And the people who went both nights - did Saturday seem somehow noticably more full than Friday to you? Friday was a big crowd but OK, Saturday was too packed. I've been to sold out shows at the Orange Peel before (but never the Truckers) and this just seemed like a bunch more than at those shows.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

They did not blow their wad on Night 1.

Spent Night 2 in amongst my DBT F-Book family in Gonzoville (pbrman excepted). They are some great folks to share a show with. Jenny P. broke Penny Lane's Orange Peel record by getting double Xed BEFORE SHE EVEN GOT INTO THE CLUB!!!! Smoking in line was her undoing. They told her to put it out & she obliged, but she didn't oblige right away. When she finally put it out, she sorta tripped over this bright orange cone that some nimrod had put in harm's way. Next thing ya know, it's double Xs for Jenny. Double Xs means you can't buy beer (or even have one in your Xed up hand). That wasn't the only Nazi tactic at the Peel. You could only get 1 beer per trip to the bar. Supposedly some dumbfuck N.C law, but apparently only enforced @ the Peel. This meant you couldn't be double-fisted or even worse, you couldn't buy anybody else a beer (or have them buy one for you). You could either get one for them & go thirsty; or you could get back in line (which of course I couldn't go thirsty). Simple-minded Communist fuckin' non-Capatilistic bullshit is what it was. Anyway, Lisa S. pitched a bitch & got Jenny's Xs rescinded. You'd think they would want to sell as much beer as they could.

Talked with Matt before the show. He is a prince of a guy (w/a Prince Valiant haircut [which I kept wanting to mention, but couldn't bring myself to]). He told us the story of how he met his wife & it was a sweet rock & roll fantasy come true. A love at first sight kinda thing. He is as genuine as can be (you couldn't fabricate that smile if you tried). I'm gonna try to hook him up w/some of my old 45s, as he is a collector.

Ran into Drifter on the way out. Turns out we were at the same hotel, so I gave him a ride home. Asheville is a pretty college town, but fuck those hills. Yes I drove the 10 blocks from my hotel to the Peel (and drunkenly drove home). I walked there Friday & my dogs were barkin'! Ruff Ruff! Fuck that noise. I took a cab home. Figured I'd save that fare on Sat.

Oh yeah, the show. If Friday was epic (and it was), then Saturday was simply outfuckingmotherfuckingstanding!
Met a couple of couples who were virgins to the band. Had never even heard them before. I think they are believers now. Pauline Hawkins & Shit Shots Count are already mainstays. The guitar frenzy @ the end of PH is maniacal & SSC sounds like 3DD's little brother. The run of Zip City, Living Bubba, WWW, A world of Hurt, Marry Me & Hell No was sonic bliss. Lookout Mt. never disappoints. Never. This total stranger behind me said he wished they would play Steve McQueen & him & I talked Patterson into it (yes we did). And we fucked Ali McGraw. Grand Canyon started with a fuzzy jam & ended with a few moist eyes. It hit close to home for some.

Can't wait for Athens.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

ditto, slip. what a goddamn nite it was!

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=570099

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-02-01.ak40.flac16

Drive-By Truckers
02/01/2014
The Orange Peel
Asheville, NC

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Shit Shots Count
03. When He's Gone
04. Where the Devil Don't Stay
05. I'm Eighteen
06. A Ghost to Most
07. The Opening Act
08. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
09. Pauline Hawkins
10. Made Up English Oceans
11. Hanging On
12. Zip City
13. The Living Bubba
14. Women Without Whiskey
15. A World of Hurt
16. Marry Me
17. Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Encore:
18. Get Downtown
19. Lookout Mountain
20. Gravity's Gone
21. Steve McQueen
22. Shut Up and Get on the Plane
23. Grand Canyon
Last edited by gordonlw on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Thanks again Gordon!
Send lawyers, guns and money....

gepman

Post by gepman »

I'll second that, thanks Gordon!

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

did anyone else notice they repeated 9 songs? that's crazy.
The Dude Abides

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

WSPDBT wrote:did anyone else notice they repeated 9 songs? that's crazy.

Quick glance shows that 4 of the repeats were EO tracks which makes complete sense as they are about to release it. Most of the other 5 repeats are nightly standards like WWW and Zip City which is normal. I don't think there's anything to this at all.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Quick glance shows that 4 of the repeats were EO tracks which makes complete sense as they are about to release it. Most of the other 5 repeats are nightly standards like WWW and Zip City which is normal. I don't think there's anything to this at all.

I'm writing my congressman.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Cooley could play both of those tracks twice in the same night and I wouldn't mind.
Dave

Flea

Post by Flea »

So after last night's festivities, this lady comes up to me and says, "Excuse me? Do you know the band?"

Nope. That's a rather random question to ask a stranger. Why do you ask?

"I was several rows behind you, and your aura was interacting with their auras for most of the night."

Never realized I even have an aura, which is pretty cool in and of itself, but it plays nicely with the band's auras! So I got that little bit of karmic juju going for me.
Now it's dark.